Season null and voided

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season null and voided

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:25 pm

I actually think the question is more about capability to pay the players rather than fear of losing them that should be the concern.

If we can afford it then we should, if we can't then we should have a conversation with the players. Some may be able to absorb the decrease, some might not.

I don't think anybody is saying what absolutely has to be done.

What is clear is people are very happy to make huge assumptions over others household finances.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:12 pm

I'm not sure they have lo. I haven't, I don't think bga has, or anyone really.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:30 pm

bga wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:12 pm
In summary, in Lockdown you spend less apart from your fixed overheads, it is as simple as that.
This was a pretty big assumption like.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:39 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:30 pm
bga wrote:
In summary, in Lockdown you spend less apart from your fixed overheads, it is as simple as that.
If the Economy is shrinking like we are told it is, that means personal spending is down across many industries doesnt it?

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:40 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:25 pm
I actually think the question is more about capability to pay the players rather than fear of losing them that should be the concern.

If we can afford it then we should, if we can't then we should have a conversation with the players. Some may be able to absorb the decrease, some might not.

I don't think anybody is saying what absolutely has to be done.

What is clear is people are very happy to make huge assumptions over others household finances.
Agree the board need to ensure we can pay before agreeing to pay the extra 20%, they are pros and cons of either decision, obviously not paying is financially better now for the club but losing players and generally feeling of negativity in the management and squad is a con.

If we can pay it, then we should but if we can't then that's a discussion needed to be had.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:
I'm spending less, most people I know are. I'm not spending nearly £1000 a year by not going to football matches. :thumbdown:

Anyway, let's move on.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:10 pm

bga wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:39 pm
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:
If the Economy is shrinking like we are told it is, that means personal spending is down across many industries doesnt it?
Again across the board.

Those that only spend on bills and food. Some can't even afford food 1.9million now rely on foodbanks up 300,000.

Those 300,000 are spending less on food now admittedly.

I am not sure they are sat their going "it's great this 80% salary and no work"

Some individuals are spending less, some individuals are saving more, some don't have much opportunity to cut their spending without removing meals from their table.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:13 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:
I'm spending less, most people I know are. I'm not spending nearly £1000 a year by not going to football matches. :thumbdown:

Anyway, let's move on.
“Most people I know are”. Give me strength.

So your circle of friends is entirely representative of society?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Season null and voided

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:15 pm

lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:39 pm
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:
Again across the board.

Those that only spend on bills and food. Some can't even afford food 1.9million now rely on foodbanks up 300,000.

Those 300,000 are spending less on food now admittedly.

I am not sure they are sat their going "it's great this 80% salary and no work"

Some individuals are spending less, some individuals are saving more, some don't have much opportunity to cut their spending without removing meals from their table.
Exactly this. It’s a pretty bold leap to assume one hard and fast rule applies for 66m different people in the country.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:59 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:13 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:

Anyway, let's move on.

No, obviously they are not, but I never said that did I.

I said "most people I know". Give ME fucking strength.

We can't go to the pub, go to a match, go on holiday, go to a gig, do any hobbies, drive to virtually anywhere to do virtually anything. Everyone's social lives have been curtailed. That's why people's spending is down. Of course some people are earning less too, I'm one of these people - that's another reason why spending is down.

It's not controversial to point this out. In fact I'll do it again - I'm spending less, most people I know are.

You're derailing this thread.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:55 am

Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:

Anyway, let's move on.

What a bizzare response. Unless of course it was needed for confected outrage in order to carry on an argument, in which case it makes perfect sense.

Anyway, to get back to the null and void topic, I see Fylde (i.e. the team who wanted last season null and voided, yet this season insist the season must finish for the integrity of the league) and others are proposing the teams who voted to continue should form their own mini league with promotion. I wonder if this mini league would have relegation too, seeing as it's all about integrity of the league :lol:

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:31 am

Interesting to see the news this morning stating that the government are targeting the end of July to have all adults vaccinated. Whilst always having to take governmental statements with a pinch of salt, it is fair to say that progress on the vaccine roll out has already included more people than had been optimistically projected at the start. Whilst there will always be a risk of opening things up too early (which some are already asking for), if this is done without risking what has been achieved to date, then this would offer a very real promise of next season starting with fans in place and, very possibly, no need for distancing. It may even allow for a return of fans, to some extent, to a FA Trophy final.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:10 am

en passant wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:31 am
Interesting to see the news this morning stating that the government are targeting the end of July to have all adults vaccinated. Whilst always having to take governmental statements with a pinch of salt, it is fair to say that progress on the vaccine roll out has already included more people than had been optimistically projected at the start. Whilst there will always be a risk of opening things up too early (which some are already asking for), if this is done without risking what has been achieved to date, then this would offer a very real promise of next season starting with fans in place and, very possibly, no need for distancing. It may even allow for a return of fans, to some extent, to a FA Trophy final.
I believe the FA Trophy final from last year is going to be used as a test event for fans back in stadiums in May. It might be that this years final will also?

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:11 am

en passant wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:31 am
There are reports in media that England has offered to host all of Euros this summer as they believe fans will be allowed back in by then - to some degree, but higher than the 4000 limit before

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:45 pm

Bit of a knack for the team who wins the 2019/20 FA Trophy as they will only have it a week before they have to give it to us😁

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:22 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:24 pm
Slight change of tack and sorry Gramps nothing to do with my obsession with you. I see that Dover v Kings Lynn is off today. Assume that the NL will be itching to take action against one or both of them. Interesting to see what transpires regarding their failure to play given the vote.
What do the league do? Charge them and fine them? Watch as their finances push them over the edge? Chuck them out the league to who knows where? Force them to take on a £200,000 plus loan? Or allow them to withdraw from the league?

Withdrawing would be highly contentious as it was an option never given to any step 2 clubs. There are 6 or 7 clubs at step 1 expressing difficulties but surely the league can't now change tack and offer them something that wasn't on offer to the 44 clubs of step 2.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Season null and voided

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:

Anyway, let's move on.

What a bizzare response. Unless of course it was needed for confected outrage in order to carry on an argument, in which case it makes perfect sense.
What a “bizzare” spelling of bizarre.

I don’t really understand why he said it. In the context of this discussion, what relevance is it that most of his friends are spending less, other than to imply 80% is a good deal for our players, who “shouldn’t grumble”.

In context, it makes perfect sense. You’d see that if you weren’t trying to be so sanctimonious and have a pop.
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
bga wrote:

Anyway, let's move on.

No, obviously they are not, but I never said that did I.

I said "most people I know". Give ME fucking strength.

We can't go to the pub, go to a match, go on holiday, go to a gig, do any hobbies, drive to virtually anywhere to do virtually anything. Everyone's social lives have been curtailed. That's why people's spending is down. Of course some people are earning less too, I'm one of these people - that's another reason why spending is down.

It's not controversial to point this out. In fact I'll do it again - I'm spending less, most people I know are.

You're derailing this thread.
I’m replying to you in a discussion. That’s how threads work. So no, I’m not derailing a thread any more than you are.

What’s the relevance of your point though? I don’t get it.

Lo’s point was it’s a big assumption to say everyone is spending less. That was in response to BGA saying 80% is a good deal for the players as they’re spending less.

The point is for some people, spending less doesn’t mean they have more money. And some people won’t be spending less at all, as they couldn’t afford to in the first place.

So, in that context, it’s not really relevant that you and your friends are spending less, making it strange you raise it in the first place. Unless of course you think that applies to everyone.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:49 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 pm

I don’t really understand why he said it. In the context of this discussion, what relevance is it that most of his friends are spending less, other than to imply 80% is a good deal for our players, who “shouldn’t grumble”.

In context, it makes perfect sense. You’d see that if you weren’t trying to be so sanctimonious and have a pop.
:lol:

Sanctimonious - your character traits must be spreading gramps

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:21 pm

Yet another interview link taken off Ollie's website.

Here is the Maidstone chairman really kicking off about the National League's incompetance. He's wanting all of them to resign and says legal action will be taken over the missing report. it's long but worth it if you've got the time.

https://t.co/Y65Z50v0n5?amp=1
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Is that really the best you can do? “I know you are, said you are, but what am I?” Playground stuff.

I at least expected something more intellectual from you.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:28 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Is that really the best you can do? “I know you are, said you are, but what am I?” Playground stuff.

That’s rich from the man who labelled me “ a crazy weirdo “ earlier in the thread.
Seems you are happy to dish out the insults but a bit touchy when they are aimed at you.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:29 am

I was always brought up to respect my elders O.G. ;)
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Season null and voided

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:33 am

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:28 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

That’s rich from the man who labelled me “ a crazy weirdo “ earlier in the thread.
Seems you are happy to dish out the insults but a bit touchy when they are aimed at you.
Interesting. You added the word crazy. I just called you a weirdo. Nice self-description.

Also, you’ve got a very weird idea of what “touchy” is. You’re trying too hard. You crazy weirdo, you.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:21 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:17 pm
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:35 pm
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:02 pm

Stop banging on about people spending less. A) It’s massively presumptuous and arrogant on your part to claim to know the financial situations of players and B) As has been said repeatedly, it’s irrelevant anyway. Your salary from your employer doesn’t increase or decrease depending on your personal outgoings.

You’re so wrong on this it’s unbelievable.
[/quote

Presumptuous and arrogant. Oh the irony Gramps Image
Ah look, Old Git is continuing his obsession. Keep trying, you’ll get over me one day. Weirdo.
Oh Gramps reduced to playground name calling and I thought you were so intellectual Image
To be fair, any time I try being sensible, you just come back with personal insults. Pointless wasting effort on a creepy weirdo who just wants to drag everyone else down.

I find it truly touching you need to talk about me in every thread. But no one cares.
I do apologise you referred to me as a creepy weirdo. So much nicer than being a crazy weirdo. I must resolve to me more accurate in my reproductions of your insults.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:10 pm

Steps 3-6 voided as well now for those interested in a bit of footy news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk