Board Statement 15 Feb

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlobaz791
Team Supported: Darlington

Board Statement 15 Feb

Post by darlobaz791 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:35 pm

Alfie

Re: Board Statement 15 Feb

Post by Alfie » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:41 pm

Doesn't mention anything about furloughing players.Wonder what the extra cost of playing a home game is.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:41 pm

Clear and sensible approach.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Well done DJ and the Board. Reviewing things on a game by game basis so presumably still possible we will play in FA Trophy?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:48 pm

It’s an admirable stance and I agree fully with the statement.

However, without Step 2 becoming N&V, then surely we cannot play our tie at home to Hornchurch in a couple of weeks?

We are now, effectively, shutting down as a club. To then switch the lights back on for a chance at Wembley does not particularly sit right (unless Step 2 becomes N&V before the tie is played).

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:01 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:48 pm

However, without Step 2 becoming N&V, then surely we cannot play our tie at home to Hornchurch in a couple of weeks?

We are now, effectively, shutting down as a club. To then switch the lights back on for a chance at Wembley does not particularly sit right (unless Step 2 becomes N&V before the tie is played).
I wonder about that myself. Whilst, on the one hand, it looks wrong to play on in the cup when we are not playing in the league, it does seem strange to give up a chance to play at Wembley when our opponents in the next round are also not playing in their league. The curious differences of where the tag of being 'elite' has brought us to, especially when the material difference between ourselves and a team like Hornchurch are probably very thin indeed. Honourable for them to advance with a bye, but not for us to play. Odd times.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
To then switch the lights back on for a chance at Wembley does not particularly sit right (unless Step 2 becomes N&V before the tie is played).
Conversely. If we have cut our costs by furloughing (I think DJ mentioned we have in an interview the other day with another club chairman) then there is a question of can we afford the trophy game, on a game by game basis.

If the losers prize = cost to bring players off flexi-furlough + test them then we would be justified.

Hornchurch are in the same boat. Arguably they are better placed as players probably aren't contracted and by law can train - ours can't train on furlough.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:10 pm

en passant wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:01 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

I wonder about that myself. Whilst, on the one hand, it looks wrong to play on in the cup when we are not playing in the league, it does seem strange to give up a chance to play at Wembley when our opponents in the next round are also not playing in their league. The curious differences of where the tag of being 'elite' has brought us to, especially when the material difference between ourselves and a team like Hornchurch are probably very thin indeed. Honourable for them to advance with a bye, but not for us to play. Odd times.
The difference is we as a club have made to conscious decision to suspend our league fixtures, whereas Hornchurch did not. That is why it is more morally acceptable for Hornchurch to continue in the FA Trophy. I think the differences between both clubs are quite large.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:12 pm

Quite worrying that we are losing 50k a month at present. Presumably all the money we have made in cup runs this season has been used up in keeping things going since the end of December and we would run into financial trouble if we keep going. Like other posters have said it seems inconsistent if we play on in cup games and not in the league but we will have to see what happens.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:26 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:12 pm
Quite worrying that we are losing 50k a month at present. Presumably all the money we have made in cup runs this season has been used up in keeping things going since the end of December and we would run into financial trouble if we keep going. Like other posters have said it seems inconsistent if we play on in cup games and not in the league but we will have to see what happens.
£50k loss in January makes sense. Wages to pay and no streaming pass/commercial revenue as no home games in January, plus hefty travelling costs to Brackley & Weymouth. Grim.

Our cash position at the moment in probably okay, but given the lack of progress towards grant funding and the insistence of loans, means it just isn't sustainable to continue on both counts.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:19 pm

Another superb statement by the club.

Lays it all out.

Wonder who / what they mean by previous owners mistakes...

Queue this character to chirp up https://mobile.twitter.com/MbwLdurham/s ... 3783328771

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Bet Boston are fuming. Lets face it this is a game they have already won once.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:55 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:52 pm
It is the national league after all!

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:16 pm

I know I am being very selfish, but was hoping game went ahead as I am missing watching the town, but I do back the board to do the right thing for the club so just will just have to smile😁.

Difficult going forward if the vote overall is to continue the season as the games we have to play still will put a real strain on part time players, or I supose we may decide not to play anyway and accept any "punishment" from the league (hope it's not demotion).

Also assume BTB contributions may stop and the club will have to refund a fair amount on season tickets with only a few league games played, ( may be a bit much to ask fans to give up the money two seasons in a row, although I am sure some of our fans will be happy to donate again). No sure anything can be done for 500 club members ( I am one, but happy to live with that), plus potential sponership package money may have to be carried over for free to next season?

Not easy decisions ahead for the board, glad it's not me making them.

As to the cup game, I see no issues with carrying on in that if the players happy to play. Issues with the league is money and testing, one off games in the cup, should be able to cover costs and testing.

Just my opinion of course🙃.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:29 pm

50 years wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:16 pm

Difficult going forward if the vote overall is to continue the season as the games we have to play still will put a real strain on part time players, or I supose we may decide not to play anyway and accept any "punishment" from the league (hope it's not demotion).

can they demote 3/4 of the division?

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:39 pm

I feel happier that we are standing firm with the 17 other clubs who signed about not playing until NL management board provided financial assistance to replace the lost income from gate receipts. At least Boston won't have to fork out for travel, but they will probably try to claim the points.

The FA Trophy is outside the NL framework so I think we may be able to fulfill that fixture without compromising integrity.

As 50 years says, the club may have to offer refunds to season ticket holders / 500 club members, however I for one will not accept or expect any refund. Rather have the club keep my money as a BTB contribution to keep the squad together as they were a promising bunch of players as proven by the Cup runs. The QTV & DFR lads have provided great coverage and deserve some recognition for all their time and efforts.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:50 pm

50 years wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:16 pm
I know I am being very selfish, but was hoping game went ahead as I am missing watching the town, but I do back the board to do the right thing for the club so just will just have to smile😁.

Also assume BTB contributions may stop and the club will have to refund a fair amount on season tickets with only a few league games played, ( may be a bit much to ask fans to give up the money two seasons in a row, although I am sure some of our fans will be happy to donate again). No sure anything can be done for 500 club members ( I am one, but happy to live with that), plus potential sponership package money may have to be carried over for free to next season?

Not easy decisions ahead for the board, glad it's not me making them.

As to the cup game, I see no issues with carrying on in that if the players happy to play. Issues with the league is money and testing, one off games in the cup, should be able to cover costs and testing.

Just my opinion of course🙃.
I don't expect BtB contributions to cease. The club can have my money.

For me, priorities until we start again next season have to be:

1)For the club to come out of the other side still trading in the NLN, and not have to take on loans to continue to do so.
2)For the club to uphold its strong reputation within the community (in my opinion we currently have a professional, 'goes about business properly' look).
3)For the club to retain its playing, management and voluntary staff (avoiding redundancies and a fire sale).

Anything else, and that includes an FA Trophy run, is a bonus and should be treat as such. Now you could argue that priority two would perhaps be contravened by continuing in the FAT (in the event Step 2 is continuing).

Not to mention that continuing to refuse to play league fixtures, whilst playing in the FAT, could be used against us in any future possible legal action and could get very messy.

en passant

Post by en passant » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:46 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:10 pm
en passant wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:01 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:

The difference is we as a club have made to conscious decision to suspend our league fixtures, whereas Hornchurch did not. That is why it is more morally acceptable for Hornchurch to continue in the FA Trophy. I think the differences between both clubs are quite large.
Whilst accepting what you say as being right as of this moment I do think that the situation is all of the making of the League management. Had they acted with more speed and conviction we would likely have had an answer over whether or not we play on some time ago, and had it been decided that the NLN would be ended for this season, we would not have been any different to Hornchurch. It is the woeful mismanagement of this situation that has brought about such moral conundrums that we clearly have faced before refusing to play against Boston, and then be faced with the problem of what to do with the Trophy game.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:59 pm

On a personal note I would be more than happy to end this crazy season, the NL/ NLN would get what they deserve and will have to somehow decide what’s next for them to try and pacify the likes of York,Gloucester,Boston,Fylde etc.God knows how they do that but let’s call it a day, concentrate on getting ready for the 21/22 season whenever that may be, and let’s really focus on the FA Trophy if possible as we have a great chance of being 90 mins away from Wembley.
Up the Quakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:07 pm

Old Git wrote:
They didn't win the game. Games are meant to last 90 minutes. 8-)

Also another thing to consider with playing Boston is perhaps we didn't fancy getting half the team injured for no apparent reason.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:42 pm

So what’s the scores on the doors of clubs deciding not to play in the north/ south league’s. Anyone?

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:51 pm

Id rather see us drop down a league or 2 if meant the club surviving.. In no way should the clubs future be risked for the sake of finishing this season... It won't come to that but an evo stick Darlo is better than no Darlo

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:04 pm

By my reckoning its:

National league:
- Dover

National League North:
- Alfreton
- Blyth
- BPA
- Curzon
- Darlo
- Farsley
- Guiseley
- Gateshead
- Hereford
- Kettering
- Southport
- Spennymoor
- Telford

National league South:
- Bath City
- Dulwich Hamlet
- Tonbridge Angels (have furloughed 1st team squad, playing with kids)
- Maidstone
- Slough Town
Last edited by JE93 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:05 pm

Big decision.
To my knowledge the Club has never refused to play a league fixture in it's 138 year history.
Fully understand the rationale behind it but it still leaves me with a numb feeling.

Shed7
Team Supported: Spennymoor

Post by Shed7 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:16 pm

Add Farsley and Guiseley to that list

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:17 pm

JE93 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:04 pm
By my reckoning its:

National league:
- Dover

National League North:
- Alfreton
- Blyth
- BPA
- Curzon
- Darlo
- Gateshead
- Hereford
- Kettering
- Southport
- Spennymoor
- Telford

National league South:
- Bath City
- Dulwich Hamlet
- Maidstone
- Slough Town
I think I read somewhere that Farley and Gueseley have also said they will not play.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:26 pm

My opinion wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:17 pm
JE93 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:04 pm
By my reckoning its:

National league:
- Dover

National League North:
- Alfreton
- Blyth
- BPA
- Curzon
- Darlo
- Gateshead
- Hereford
- Kettering
- Southport
- Spennymoor
- Telford

National league South:
- Bath City
- Dulwich Hamlet
- Maidstone
- Slough Town
I think I read somewhere that Farley and Gueseley have also said they will not play.
Cheers. Updated the original now. Had seen their votes on the resolutions but hadn't seen them refuse to play.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:28 pm

To anyone who feels a little uneasy about playing in the Trophy after pausing our league games, I would say "think again".

We owe the league absolutely nothing. With their unbelievable incompetence they have screwed us right over, us and numerous other clubs too. We have lost money and are losing money. With the Trophy we have invested money, resources, time and effort into getting into a position where it might pay off. Why should we bow out of the Trophy just because the League management are 'unfit for purpose' and have completely fucked up? Why should Hornchurch benefit as well? A few clubs (Dorking Wanderers :lol: ) might snipe from the sides but who cares?

In fact I would go further and say that perhaps the club, because it has lost money this year (due to the league's mismanagement) has a responsibility to it's owners to try and mitigate these losses by continuing to play in the Trophy, a competition that stands separate to the league, could be profitable and could lead for a good chance to go to Wembley. A one in four chance.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:07 pm
Old Git wrote:
They didn't win the game. Games are meant to last 90 minutes. 8-)

Also another thing to consider with playing Boston is perhaps we didn't fancy getting half the team injured for no apparent reason.
Was meant to be a lighthearted comment.
Without Holmes Laing Atkinson McMahon Charman and Maguire we already have half a team injured so just as well.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:11 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:28 pm
To anyone who feels a little uneasy about playing in the Trophy after pausing our league games, I would say "think again".

We owe the league absolutely nothing. With their unbelievable incompetence they have screwed us right over, us and numerous other clubs too. We have lost money and are losing money. With the Trophy we have invested money, resources, time and effort into getting into a position where it might pay off. Why should we bow out of the Trophy just because the League management are 'unfit for purpose' and have completely fucked up? Why should Hornchurch benefit as well? A few clubs (Dorking Wanderers :lol: ) might snipe from the sides but who cares?

In fact I would go further and say that perhaps the club, because it has lost money this year (due to the league's mismanagement) has a responsibility to it's owners to try and mitigate these losses by continuing to play in the Trophy, a competition that stands separate to the league, could be profitable and could lead for a good chance to go to Wembley. A one in four chance.
:clap: