DFC Voted for League to be Null & Void

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JABWootton
Team Supported: Darlington

DFC Voted for League to be Null & Void

Post by JABWootton » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:12 am

PierremontQuaker03

Re: DFC Voted for League to be Null & Void

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:42 am

Its a shame but it's been on the cards.
The squad will be broken up but on the pitch we weren't great. I presume Nicky Hunt will retire and a few others will go.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:02 am

Why?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:Its a shame but it's been on the cards.
The squad will be broken up but on the pitch we weren't great. I presume Nicky Hunt will retire and a few others will go.
Who do you think will go....the season has hardly started so what has changed.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:07 am

Yeh of all the reactions that wasn't the one I expected. They will just be put on furlough, they are just as contracted as they ever were.

All we have done is voted to finish the season a few months early. Everything else is as it was.

Back in the summer, hopefully!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:10 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:42 am
I would expect that a more likely outcome if we were forced to play on and had to make some significant cost savings to do so

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:17 am

Looks like btb is going to be even more important this year, than ever before.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:31 am

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:42 am
I think you might be jumping the gun somewhat by assuming DFC's voting declaration will be the eventual outcome. Have you actually looked at the resolutions in detail and seen the challenges they present?

Lawman3

Post by Lawman3 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:35 am

I see the Twitterati think it's down to our league position....

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 2709732354
Never argue with an idiot: The best possible outcome is that you win an argument with an idiot.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:01 pm

I can't see a reason to think the squad will be broken up, beyond the possibility of someone at a level above maybe picking our better players off... but who are those players right now?

I'd think the squad will be largely intact and will end up furloughed, in the event of null and void.

Of course, we don't know what the outcome will be, but I think we should be telling them to shove it regardless. I don't see how they'd enforce any punishment if half of the league just says 'we're not playing anymore'. What can they do? Relegate us? The leagues below aren't promoting.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:40 pm

There are still 28 days before the final decision is made where is the funding coming from for the 28 days, it will have to come from the small reserve that hopefully we have. After that we have nothing, the decision by the club is in my opinion the only one that could be made,
I think that the national leagues management has been absolutely abysmal throughout this whole sorry saga.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:57 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:07 am
Yeh of all the reactions that wasn't the one I expected. They will just be put on furlough, they are just as contracted as they ever were.

All we have done is voted to finish the season a few months early. Everything else is as it was.

Can you morally furlough staff when you have opted out of the season and not taken any of the loans available. All a bit of a grey area and a mess by the league.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:17 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:57 pm
lo36789 wrote:

Can you morally furlough staff when you have opted out of the season and not taken any of the loans available. All a bit of a grey area and a mess by the league.
Isn't it a bit like the government saying to publicans, you must open your pubs and staff them because the licencing laws say you have to open according your licensed hours? However, we're not allowing any customers in, but we'll loan you the money to cover the takings you would have had. I don't think publicans would think much of that suggestion.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:21 pm

Our league position has nothing to do with it as nobody will be relegated again this season the way things stand.
It`s just common sense to vote to end season rather than take on debt

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:27 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:57 pm
lo36789 wrote:

I think so. I thought furloughing was when a firm could not operate because laws made it impossible to do so, like a pub (mentioned above) or shop.

In that case you furlough and I'm sure D.J. said we could. Haven't Bradford P.A. already done so?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:42 pm

I actually thought the purpose of furlough was to maintain the income (and jobs) of staff who would otherwise be made redundant because of the economic impacts of the pandemic.

It's about job protection over anything.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:49 pm

Furloughing is indeed about protecting jobs. I was trying to address the moral issue of furloughing staff after turning down a loan.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:54 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:49 pm
Furloughing is indeed about protecting jobs. I was trying to address the moral issue of furloughing staff after turning down a loan.
But, if we take the loan, without the wherewithal to repay it, we would be trading illegally. :roll:

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:14 pm

Furlough or part furlough protects employees where their employer has seen a decline in sales/production etc in all industries, that if it wasn’t for the pandemic the company and jobs would be viable. I heard a rumour today it may be extended through to September in some guise.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:22 pm

joejaques wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:54 pm
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
But, if we take the loan, without the wherewithal to repay it, we would be trading illegally. :roll:
Trading: "the action or activity of buying and selling goods and services"
DFC might be doing plenty of buying the services of players, but without the admission of supporters, they would be doing much in the way of selling ;)

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:32 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:22 pm
joejaques wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
DFC might be doing plenty of buying the services of players, but without the admission of supporters, they would be doing much in the way of selling ;)
I’m just saying that the club has to be careful to take furlough money when the board have chosen not to play.
With loans as cheap as they will ever be it’s a judgement the board will have made, yet they would welcome grants which is basically free money, no other LTD company has this option in the current climate, yes I know footie is different but there is a moral question here.

Playing devils advocate it’s best the club don’t paint themselves into the corner particularly with the shout we are Following.this action as we look to be on the other end of the table despite early optimism.

All very messy and unclear road ahead to be sure.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:51 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:22 pm
joejaques wrote:
Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
I think trading illegally won’t wash if put to scrutiny as most football clubs trade like that and we have likely done that for ten years or more.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:40 am

We have been open & honest about how we voted. Not sure why it is taking 28 days for NL to count them , apart from " its in the rule-book". If every club published their vote, we could work out the result in a morning it isn't like the US Presidential elections, apart from Trumpist clubs who would take NL to court as "it wasn't done like in the rule-book".
These are unprescedented times which need action

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:01 am

jjljks wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:40 am
We have been open & honest about how we voted. Not sure why it is taking 28 days for NL to count them , apart from " its in the rule-book". If every club published their vote, we could work out the result in a morning it isn't like the US Presidential elections, apart from Trumpist clubs who would take NL to court as "it wasn't done like in the rule-book".
These are unprescedented times which need action
Ollie Bayliss tweeted the other day that for legal reasons a period of 28 had to be allowed, but if sufficient votes were cast earlier, then results could be announced in less than 28 days.

Depends how quick clubs decide how to vote & how they return their votes, eg via email or ordinary mail

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:12 am

Pre-empting the results of the vote a few clubs have announced they will not fulfill their fixtures on Saturday. Bradford PA and Chippenham based on financial considerations, while Concord Rangers have said they will not play on Saturday because of player safety concerns, but strangely said they will play next Tuesday.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:31 am

Alfie wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:12 am
Concord Rangers have said they will not play on Saturday because of player safety concerns, but strangely said they will play next Tuesday.
I don't think it is that much of a mystery.

The CEO has said that he has sorted out testing with some support from St Alban's who got them a competitive price (assume they combined efforts).

I just imagine they need to get the tests, administer them and get results all of which won't be done by Saturday.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:06 pm

Sounds like Concord players have all agreed to a pay cut so that they can finish their season.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:18 pm

spen666 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:01 am
jjljks wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:40 am
These are unprecedented times which need action
Ollie Bayliss tweeted the other day that for legal reasons a period of 28 had to be allowed, but if sufficient votes were cast earlier, then results could be announced in less than 28 days.

Depends how quick clubs decide how to vote & how they return their votes, eg via email or ordinary mail
They could do pigeon post or stage coach and it would still take only a week. The rule book needs rewriting by someone with intelligence and born since 1952. Perhaps you could do a peer review on the redraft, Spen?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:48 pm

Chester have voted to end the season in the absence of grant funding. Excellent statement IMO.
https://www.chesterfc.com/2021/02/05/cl ... -and-void/

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 pm

And Spennymoor have done the same. Fair play, this is a superb, strongly worded statement:

https://spennymoortownfc.co.uk/2021/02/ ... -director/