DFC Voted for League to be Null & Void

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

LoidLucan
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DFC Voted for League to be Null & Void

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:56 pm

I can appreciate a reluctance to go down a route which may lead to expulsion and/or fines for our club especially when a resolution may be very close. It may not come to that of course but it may also be a gamble. It's not a situation of our making and we are trying to balance a lot of factors and find our way through a very difficult issue. Everyone else is doing the same and trying to deal with it in the best way they see fit for their own club.

I don't feel it's just about the FA Trophy run. Whatever stance each club takes there is someone slagging them off and someone else praising them. It's a really tricky situation that clubs have been catapulted into.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:20 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:50 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:39 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:31 pm
Gateshead have announced that they will not be travelling to Fylde to play tomorrow as they are unwilling to bare the costs for what may be a meaningless game. We have clearly stated that we do not wish to continue the league season without grants so surely we need to follow the stance taken by Heed and Spenny.
If it means we have to forfeit the FA Trophy tie with Hornchurch then that would be a great pity but surely our integrity is more important. Am I the only one becoming more uncomfortable with our present position which is beginning to look untenable to me.
At present Old Git our position is we are playing. We haven’t missed a game yet. Listening to the podcast it looks like we are playing on for now.
But why are we playing?
Are we scared of the NL rulers ?
Do we want to play on because of the FA Trophy?
A bit of both I think but also to wait till the vote comes back.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:56 pm
I can appreciate a reluctance to go down a route which may lead to expulsion and/or fines for our club especially when a resolution may be very close. It may not come to that of course but it may also be a gamble. It's not a situation of our making and we are trying to balance a lot of factors and find our way through a very difficult issue. Everyone else is doing the same and trying to deal with it in the best way they see fit for their own club.

I don't feel it's just about the FA Trophy run. Whatever stance each club takes there is someone slagging them off and someone else praising them. It's a really tricky situation that clubs have been catapulted into.
Agree with what you say but surely if we have made our decision we should stand alongside those who feel the same way and are prepared to put their heads above the parapet. How would we feel if the roles were reversed ?
At the moment we look like we are hedging our bets and not standing firm for what we believe is right. A bit like watching the school bully beat up a younger kid and not intervening. Not a very strong moral stance I am afraid.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:49 pm

I get the feeling D.J would prefer to do things “the right way” but either way I think it will soon be over.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:55 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:50 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:39 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:31 pm
Gateshead have announced that they will not be travelling to Fylde to play tomorrow as they are unwilling to bare the costs for what may be a meaningless game. We have clearly stated that we do not wish to continue the league season without grants so surely we need to follow the stance taken by Heed and Spenny.
If it means we have to forfeit the FA Trophy tie with Hornchurch then that would be a great pity but surely our integrity is more important. Am I the only one becoming more uncomfortable with our present position which is beginning to look untenable to me.
At present Old Git our position is we are playing. We haven’t missed a game yet. Listening to the podcast it looks like we are playing on for now.
But why are we playing?
Are we scared of the NL rulers ?
Do we want to play on because of the FA Trophy?
One concern I do have is that if we unilaterally decide to withdraw from the FA Trophy, then the FA may impose sanctions on to the club (up to and including not allowing the club to take part in next season's competition).

We would be foolish, at the time of writing, to withdraw from the FA Trophy when there is a very real chance the vote may be 51% in favour of Step 2 continuing (or resolution 1 will not pass) therefore denying us the opportunity of a valuable income source in 2 weeks' time.

The truth is, the tie is 14 days away, and a lot of can happen between now and then that will force the club in to making a decision. Right now the club is doing the correct thing by playing its cards close to its chest and waiting to see what develops.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:03 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:57 pm
darlo_baron wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:56 am
DJ has been on the Non League Show podcast, stating we lost around 50k in January.

The situation is completely untenable and I think we should refuse to play from Saturday onwards.
This is interesting. The first chairman on is from Gloucester, he is proper full of himself and loves the limelight, D.J appears at about 55 minutes and keeps on the level, explaining the situation very well. It’s a long podcast but both presenters are amazed at how inept and out of touch Barwick and the league board are.

Google non league podcast Feb 12.
Seemingly the Gloucester Chairman was more interested in cracking jokes, David Brent-esque, than actually talking common and logical business sense.

Chalk and cheese to our CEO. He lost me at the point when he said that the furlough scheme ends at the end of March (ends 30th April).

Unfortunately, what is he doing is creating a 'survival of the fittest' scenario (mini-league), which includes all of the so-called 'bigger clubs' having the best possible chance of promotion, and isn't he keen to tickle the bellies of York, Kidderminster & Boston on the way.

He also wants the National League to become a dictatorship (wrong move), they need a restructure, not to become an undemocratic organisation that tells clubs how to operate.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:07 pm

Some clubs have called on the NL to void the season if there are no grants and have refused to play, some want it voided but haven't refused to play, some want to take loans and some want to play on regardless backed by benefactors' deep pockets. Clubs are just weighing up what they see as the best way forward. We're not being disloyal to anyone and we have been very clear in our message to the NL. I'm happy with how we are handling this. There's no easy way through it especially with these threats of potentially damaging action against clubs.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:09 pm

Please don’t misunderstand me I am an admirer of DJ and respect all he has done for us. So far he has been clear in his views and provided strong and stable leadership in these difficult times.
Maybe the time for playing cards close to our chest has passed and we need to stand up and be counted. Surely regardless of the outcome of the vote we would support those clubs who felt the same as us and we would join them in refusing to play. To do anything else would surely be contrary what we have already stated is our position.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:17 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:38 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:56 pm

Agree with what you say but surely if we have made our decision we should stand alongside those who feel the same way and are prepared to put their heads above the parapet. How would we feel if the roles were reversed ?
At the moment we look like we are hedging our bets and not standing firm for what we believe is right. A bit like watching the school bully beat up a younger kid and not intervening. Not a very strong moral stance I am afraid.
Old Git - we haven’t made our decision! We’ve voted that’s all.

D. J . Plans to see it out now till the result of the vote. That needs to come in ASAP.

You’re jumping the gun.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:48 pm

Not jumping the gun just asking some relevant questions. Are we as a club willing to stand up and be counted or are we willing to sit back and let others take the flack.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:18 pm

We will be counted O.G. - just at the appropriate time. Picking this time is up to D.J, who is definitely the best chairman in my time (post 95) following Darlo.

At present there are a number of unknowns and of course the Trophy complicates things further but the votes are due back by the latest at the end of this month, which is when the winnable cup tie is too.

We've played without financial support since the beginning of this year so I suppose another fortnight is just about doable.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:58 am

At least we don't have a long away game for some time. 3 home games, including the FAT tie and Spenny away. We'll still lose money, but less.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 am

Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:48 pm
Not jumping the gun just asking some relevant questions. Are we as a club willing to stand up and be counted or are we willing to sit back and let others take the flack.
We have stood up to be counted.

The club have continuously signed statements in solidarity with other clubs in a similar position.

The club also, very promptly, backed up these statements by voting for null & void.

DJ/CS have played the situation very, very well so far. It’s a very fine balancing act between protecting the very best financial interests of the club and the very best reputational & moral interests of the club too.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:56 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 am
Old Git wrote:

The club have continuously signed statements in solidarity with other clubs in a similar position.

The club also, very promptly, backed up these statements by voting for null & void.

DJ/CS have played the situation very, very well so far. It’s a very fine balancing act between protecting the very best financial interests of the club and the very best reputational & moral interests of the club too.
Signing statements with other clubs is one thing but actually taking action off the back of that by then stating "we are not going to play again" is adopting a definite position, which in reality we haven't done have we? I am with Old Git.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:08 pm

bga wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:56 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Old Git wrote:

Signing statements with other clubs is one thing but actually taking action off the back of that by then stating "we are not going to play again" is adopting a definite position, which in reality we haven't done have we? I am with Old Git.
Every club is in a different position. There is not a 'one size fits all approach'.

The club are probably wary of sanctions from the National League & FA, and rightly so. These sanctions could have serious financial & legal ramifications.

We also have two league games coming up, and an FA Trophy tie, that equates to some income coming in to the football club in February to mitigate the financial losses.

We are, rightly, avoiding potential severe consequences from the National League and FA by awaiting for the decision to be taken out of our hands (N&V). This decision should be with us within the next fortnight, when we also (coincidentally) have some income coming in via streaming passes and FA Trophy prize money.

Trust the club on this one. We have taken an admirable stance so far, and just because we have not gone as far as refusing to fulfil fixtures, does not mean that this is necessarily a bad thing at this moment.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:30 pm

If Gloucester City want to play in a mini league, they have a head start. Their CEO is a fantasist already!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
bga wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:56 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Old Git wrote:

Every club is in a different position. There is not a 'one size fits all approach'.

The club are probably wary of sanctions from the National League & FA, and rightly so. These sanctions could have serious financial & legal ramifications.

We also have two league games coming up, and an FA Trophy tie, that equates to some income coming in to the football club in February to mitigate the financial losses.

We are, rightly, avoiding potential severe consequences from the National League and FA by awaiting for the decision to be taken out of our hands (N&V). This decision should be with us within the next fortnight, when we also (coincidentally) have some income coming in via streaming passes and FA Trophy prize money.

Trust the club on this one. We have taken an admirable stance so far, and just because we have not gone as far as refusing to fulfil fixtures, does not mean that this is necessarily a bad thing at this moment.
Absolutely agree with Darlofan97 on this, total faith in DJ and CS to do what is in the best interests of our club. Really hope the FA Trophy game goes ahead and would be massively disappointed if this was conceded regardless of what is happening in the NL.
From what Darlodan97 is saying, the club quite rightly are keeping a close eye on these threats from the NLN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:40 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:58 am
At least we don't have a long away game for some time. 3 home games, including the FAT tie and Spenny away. We'll still lose money, but less.

Spennymoor have stopped playing, so we won't be going there.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:48 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:09 pm
Maybe the time for playing cards close to our chest has passed and we need to stand up and be counted. Surely regardless of the outcome of the vote we would support those clubs who felt the same as us and we would join them in refusing to play. To do anything else would surely be contrary what we have already stated is our position.
THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DOING.

When the vote comes in, if it is to stop - we stop.
When the vote comes in, If it is to play - we stop. (D.J. has said this)
But for now, for various reasons we play.

The reasons we play for now are multiple and have been discussed in this thread.

Be patient O.G.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Yeah, I'd forgotten that. Even better then. We need to get the message out for as many people as possible to stream these games. I'm sure we'll also be helped out by Fylde's vast army of supporters logging on too.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:01 pm

Split personality Fylde. "must call it off" last season/"must keep it going" this season.

A bit like Kings Lynn in reverse as they are "must keep it going" last season/"must call it off" this season.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:07 pm

I do hope when supporters are allowed back in grounds that our fans will give hell to the likes of Fylde, Gloucester, Boston and York. We don't usually miss a trick and our voices will be rested after months of not being at matches.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:31 pm

Hereford have today come out and said their vote is to void the season.

I can see a situation here whereby north votes strongly to stop and South does the opposite. I wonder who gets the whip hand then?
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:48 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:48 pm
Old Git wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:09 pm
THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DOING.

When the vote comes in, if it is to stop - we stop.
When the vote comes in, If it is to play - we stop. (D.J. has said this)
But for now, for various reasons we play.

The reasons we play for now are multiple and have been discussed in this thread.

Be patient O.G.
So you are saying whatever the vote is we will stop. So what is the point of playing on now using up precious funds when we will not be competing our fixtures. If a number of clubs refuse to play on then don’t see what sanctions can be realistically can be applied. At least Spennymoor and co are being consistent and have to be admired for taking a stance on this issue. I understand that DJ is trying to play a shrewd game and not alienating the powers that be more than he has to but think we should stand firm with the other teams.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:02 pm

FAO Old Git.

So you are saying whatever the vote is we will stop.
* D.J said this, so yes.

So what is the point of playing on now using up precious funds when we will not be competing our fixtures.
*In case we get hit by fines or similar. So that we can weigh up the situation re the cup game. We will get income from streaming our two league games and we don't have to travel away in this period. Perhaps some other financial reason I'm not aware of - I can think of one O.G but better not put on here.

If a number of clubs refuse to play on then don’t see what sanctions can be realistically can be applied.
*Nor do I but the people running this league have proved to be unreliable and self serving - so who knows.

At least Spennymoor and co are being consistent and have to be admired for taking a stance on this issue.
*I too admire Spennymoor for their present stance but on saying that who knows what will happen, and who knows if uncle Brad changes his mind if something unforeseen happens.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:10 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:31 pm

I can see a situation here whereby north votes strongly to stop and South does the opposite. I wonder who gets the whip hand then?
Olli Bayliss has is as 23 to N&V across North and South which would be enough.

What we don't have yet it NL clubs view on whether to pass resolution 1 and that is needed.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:22 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:10 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

What we don't have yet it NL clubs view on whether to pass resolution 1 and that is needed.
Shouldn't you be on the Penaltygate thread???
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:27 pm

I know that I am old fashioned but I was brought up to stick by my friends and speak out at injustice and unfairness. DJ has done that so far and I agree with him.
Some will no doubt think the following analogy extreme but if enough reasonable people had stood up in Germany in the 1930s the rise of the Nazi Party may have been stopped. I am not suggesting that the NL Committee are akin to Adolf Hitler but the point is that sometimes you have to do more than just speak out. Sometimes you need to band together with likeminded people and take a more proactive approach.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:34 pm

I think that will happen Old Git. D.J is more Churchill than Chamberlain :thumbup:

But the clubs best interests are his top priority.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:34 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:22 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:10 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Shouldn't you be on the Penaltygate thread???
Haha I've said my final remarks there...agree to disagree (I am sure that will somehow come back as "running away from it because you are wrong"...leopard, spots...).