DFC Voted for League to be Null & Void

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

eddie-rowles
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DFC Voted for League to be Null & Void

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 am

I understand the NL have charged Darlington for failing to fulfil Boston fixture, can the NL be even more stupid than we all thought? Instead of doing this chase up clubs who haven't voted and make a bloody decision.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:09 am

You can't force a club to decide early - they are entitled to 28 days to make a decision.

That is the equivalent of you buying something which has a cooling off period and the seller chasing you to waive your cooling off period to confirm absolute that you are happy. It would be completely unfair and against the rules to apply time pressure outside of the rules.

The league have already confirmed that they would be issuing charges because as a league they have to issue charges for any breach of league rules. It is just the process, but that nobody should be jumping to conclusions that they will actually issue any penalties.

It is really a non-story. The league confirmed last week they would follow their admin processes as per normal.

eek

Post by eek » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:48 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:09 am
You can't force a club to decide early - they are entitled to 28 days to make a decision.

That is the equivalent of you buying something which has a cooling off period and the seller chasing you to waive your cooling off period to confirm absolute that you are happy. It would be completely unfair and against the rules to apply time pressure outside of the rules.

The league have already confirmed that they would be issuing charges because as a league they have to issue charges for any breach of league rules. It is just the process, but that nobody should be jumping to conclusions that they will actually issue any penalties.

It is really a non-story. The league confirmed last week they would follow their admin processes as per normal.
The league did however screw up by stopping matches for just 2 weeks and not kicking off the vote until well into that 2 week period.

eek

Post by eek » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 am

lo36789 wrote:

I thought the league would announce the result as soon as it is available.

And if you look at Ollie Bayliss's list of publicly announced votes there is a majority for the NLN and NLS to be declared null and void.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:51 am

eek wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 am
lo36789 wrote:

I thought the league would announce the result as soon as it is available.

And if you look at Ollie Bayliss's list of publicly announced votes there is a majority for the NLN and NLS to be declared null and void.
But is there a majority yet for step 1 to be treated differently to step 2? That relies on the national league votes coming in, and they are not acting as quickly as far as I can see

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:31 am

lo36789 wrote:

I see your point here lo, in some ways it is a non story but it is just so ridiculous, as clubs pulling out of fixtures has been caused by the total ineptitude of the league. They're scrapping around inside their little book of rules whilst all around them lies a huge balls up of their own making.

Did Hitler issue proceedings for trespass against the Russians as they entered Berlin :wtf: (put this in for Old Git :D )
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:31 am

I believe that devide and conker was the way the national league set the voting upto be,
It's a diabolical situation that was created by the national league, the coronavirus was the vehicle in which this situation began, then the national league and others helpfully managed to get a grant,
Which was to cover losses through the turnstile of every club ,that never happened WHY???
There needs to be a thorough investigation into how the funding was implemented, the criteria used by the national league has got to be seen ,massive disparity between clubs although thankful for the funding. It does not sit right how much disproportionately each club received, some club 3 /4 times their normal season gates revenues. Others 3/4 time less than their normal gate revenues.
Cannot be right,come clean and show the criteria of distribution.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am

Freedom of information??
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:31 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am
Freedom of information??
You get 28 days to respond...haha and you can't follow up / force people to go quicker.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:33 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:31 am
lo36789 wrote:

I see your point here lo, in some ways it is a non story but it is just so ridiculous, as clubs pulling out of fixtures has been caused by the total ineptitude of the league. They're scrapping around inside their little book of rules whilst all around them lies a huge balls up of their own making.

Did Hitler issue proceedings for trespass against the Russians as they entered Berlin :wtf: (put this in for Old Git :D )
It wont come to anything they are just recording the charges issued. We have just cause so it won't come to anything.

It just enforces that clubs cant fail to fulfil in future without just cause.

Of course it's a mess, and original 2 weeks suspension should have been extended until the results were in but also...its a bit so what it is annoying admin responding to a pointless charge but once we have done it once we can copy and paste the answer next time.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:48 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:31 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:42 am
Freedom of information??
You get 28 days to respond...haha and you can't follow up / force people to go quicker.
I was talking about the buried report. The one that the league are controversially sitting on. The report that according to it's writer shows mistakes in the way the lottery's money was dished out.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:50 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

The rules are surely created for the common good. These rules on voting procedure may have been drafted to suit a more leisurely time, but were clearly not suited to a situation where it was put to clubs after a considerable delay in deciding what to do, which has created an impossible financial situation for so many. Why was this not done at the end of December or early January when the grant money was running out and nothing further had been arranged? Clubs were already going to be compromised at this stage, so waiting a whole month to devise a series of resolutions was already going to create a crisis. To then to say that the rules on voting over-trump the financial crisis in those clubs is just perverse. The whole point of the vote was to try and resolve the crisis not to add to it. Surely the two week break was enough time to make up minds without adding a greater burden to the clubs already reaching the end of the road. So why demand that procedural integrity be satisfied when it was clearly undermining the common good that it was set up to achieve?
I am rather sceptical over the way the League has chosen to deal with this crisis. Their slow reaction to the lack of a grant to continue beyond December and an over reliance on rules seems a convenient deflection away from their own failings. Whilst the threats being handed out to clubs that have decided not to play fixtures have been described as being what procedure demands, and that they are trying to present a more relaxed vision of how this will be dealt with in the future, I cannot see this as being much of a comfort to any club living under this cloud. The League have failed to acknowledge any fault in the creation of the current situation, so it would not be a surprise to find that they would seek to make some scapegoats out of defaulting clubs to make it seem that the failure to complete this season, either fully or in part, is down to the errant clubs and not themselves.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:58 pm

The League reps have clearly made errors, ultimately this season should never have started. We should not have played Prescot Cables on 3 October, from that point onwards we've been sort of destined for this point.

They have already said that the charges are just an admin point. The thing is the league aren't some third party entity, the league is just the collective of clubs when it boils down to it.

They have a board / elected reps but they are chosen by the clubs themselves.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Once enough step 1 clubs have voted for resolution 1 the season is null and void.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 pm

I reckon the league already have enough votes in now to see which way the wind blows and I also wonder if there are some desperate phone calls being made to the government right now to see if they will reconsider their position.

What interests me particularly is the strong possibility that the South vote is predominately to continue and the North vote is the opposite. This could cause a problem. Firstly in what to do, and secondly it might not be a good look to the government if football in the south continues while in the north it stops.- what with the 'levelling up' agenda and all that.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:19 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:10 pm
I reckon the league already have enough votes in now to see which way the wind blows and I also wonder if there are some desperate phone calls being made to the government right now to see if they will reconsider their position.

What interests me particularly is the strong possibility that the South vote is predominately to continue and the North vote is the opposite. This could cause a problem. Firstly in what to do, and secondly it might not be a good look to the government if football in the south continues while in the north it stops.- what with the 'levelling up' agenda and all that.

Do you think the government cares what people say about the national league north at the moment?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:26 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
The resolutions were for step 2 to go together and a majority across both divisions. If that is the majority that will be the outcome.

It is only really complex if the vote is continue and a swathe of clubs deem that they can't legally continue.

Once a resolution has been made by members that is the outcome. These are formal resolutions ultimately there is no negotiation afterwards.

The government have no authority to be changing or challenging the outcomes of a privately governed entity unless what they are doing is illegal.

Also remember some of the league board voted to null & void so I doubt they would simply be sitting on a result.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:47 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:19 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Do you think the government cares what people say about the national league north at the moment?
No, they won't - but I'm just pointing out that it's not a good look.

lo says that the step 2 vote makes North and South stick together but I can see problems implementing that, and then we have Marc W from Dorking bigging up legal action. I hate to say it but he does have a point too.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm

I'm not sure once formal resolutions are made they can be undone that is the thing.

The members have voted per the articles of the company to do something by special resolution. As far as I am aware it is binding.

If they went against them they would be breaking their own articles and that would be an absolute legal issue.

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:58 pm
The League reps have clearly made errors, ultimately this season should never have started. We should not have played Prescot Cables on 3 October, from that point onwards we've been sort of destined for this point.

They have already said that the charges are just an admin point. The thing is the league aren't some third party entity, the league is just the collective of clubs when it boils down to it.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Once enough step 1 clubs have voted for resolution 1 the season is null and void.
I do worry about it. I am not getting the impression that the majority of step 1 clubs will vote for resolution 1 and there are many in NLS who would agree with them. Quite a lot of opinions have been given on what the likely outcome will be at step 2 and that appears to be just in favour of null and void. But if resolution 1 is voted against then it seems to follow that the subsequent vote will be dictated by the step 1 clubs which will have already been skewed in favour of a continuation. If they want to continue they will and could well drag clubs in the NLN with them. And, of course, we are not even considering the law of unintended consequences, where some clubs may vote on a misunderstanding of the potential outcomes.

eek

Post by eek » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:08 pm

en passant wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm
lo36789 wrote:

I do worry about it. I am not getting the impression that the majority of step 1 clubs will vote for resolution 1 and there are many in NLS who would agree with them. Quite a lot of opinions have been given on what the likely outcome will be at step 2 and that appears to be just in favour of null and void. But if resolution 1 is voted against then it seems to follow that the subsequent vote will be dictated by the step 1 clubs which will have already been skewed in favour of a continuation. If they want to continue they will and could well drag clubs in the NLN with them. And, of course, we are not even considering the law of unintended consequences, where some clubs may vote on a misunderstanding of the potential outcomes.
What reason does any NL club have not voting for Resolution 1.

The only clubs that have any incentive in voting against Resolution 1 are NLN and NLS teams who want their league to continue while ignoring the desires of the majority of NLN and NLS teams.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:16 pm

Perhaps the time has come to stick with the Trades Description Act and form a proper National League North by inviting the likes of South Shields in and booting out Southerners like Gloucester, Boston etc by having an arbitary line define the North. Nobody in their right mind would consider Gloucester to be in the North (but since the NL board decided it is, that explains a lot about the management board!).

Some NLS teams were complaining they had to travel over 60 miles for some matches. Imagine what the Blyth Spartan fans would say to that!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:29 pm

That's the way the voting process was set up so that confusion reigned, skewing the vote in favour of the national league management preferred option, they will do anything by any means to get the outcome they want, basically to totally absolve themselves from any blame in this whole sorry saga, the sooner the FA step in and take charge to sort this mess out the better for all. That's if they can be bothered to investigate the mess.

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:39 pm

eek wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:08 pm
en passant wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:53 pm
lo36789 wrote:

What reason does any NL club have not voting for Resolution 1.

The only clubs that have any incentive in voting against Resolution 1 are NLN and NLS teams who want their league to continue while ignoring the desires of the majority of NLN and NLS teams.
Well I am not one of those clubs so can't answer your question directly. But I can see that a number of National League clubs that have declared their voting have, in the main, vote against the first resolution. They have mainly blah blahed about integrity and such. I have also read that to maintain the promotion to the Football League they believe they have to act as the leagues above do and part of that is to also keep relegation active. If the NLN and NLS null and void they seem to be worried this might affect the FL's willingness to allow promotions. That's all I have, but the situation has opened the door to all sort of weird thinking that may not lead to the clean resolution that we hope for.

eek

Post by eek » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:05 pm

jjljks wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:16 pm
Perhaps the time has come to stick with the Trades Description Act and form a proper National League North by inviting the likes of South Shields in and booting out Southerners like Gloucester, Boston etc by having an arbitary line define the North. Nobody in their right mind would consider Gloucester to be in the North (but since the NL board decided it is, that explains a lot about the management board!).

Some NLS teams were complaining they had to travel over 60 miles for some matches. Imagine what the Blyth Spartan fans would say to that!
There are two regional leagues with this tier of football.

Starting from the South the 22 most Southern terms are placed in the NLS, the rest are placed in the NLN.

Now its possible that due to communication routes teams may be switched around but the simple fact is there are far too many southern teams in this tier and not enough northern teams.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:47 pm

eek wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:05 pm
jjljks wrote:

Starting from the South the 22 most Southern terms are placed in the NLS, the rest are placed in the NLN.

Now its possible that due to communication routes teams may be switched around but the simple fact is there are far too many southern teams in this tier and not enough northern teams.
Up until the formation of the step 3 midland division, there were 3 leagues feeding into step 3, providing 6 teams. 4 were from the south ( Isthmian and Southern Leagues) and only 2 from the North.

Thus each year the number of Southern based teams at step 2 would be likely to increase ( depending on how location of relegated teams)

the midlands division should mean that only 4 southern and 4 midland/ Northern based teams are promoted/ relegated, so the problem should not get worse in future, but nor will the new structure rebalance the previous inequality.

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:57 pm

onewayup wrote:
I believe that devide and conker was the way the national league set the voting upto be,
Not that old chestnut.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:07 pm

en passant wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:39 pm
Well I am not one of those clubs so can't answer your question directly. But I can see that a number of National League clubs that have declared their voting have, in the main, vote against the first resolution. They have mainly blah blahed about integrity and such. I have also read that to maintain the promotion to the Football League they believe they have to act as the leagues above do and part of that is to also keep relegation active.
This isn't right. With regard resolution 1;

For: Chesterfield, Wrexham, Notts County, Torquay, Wealdstone, Hartlepool, Sutton,

Against: Dover, Kings Lynn

The only clubs voting against resolution 1 are those in relegation spots. Ironically they probs be better to vote for it as if NLN / NLS is null and voided they won't get relegated.

All the clubs in with a shot of promotion have voted for resolution 1 as their fear is that NLN clubs would be able to stop their promotion chances.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:10 pm

spen666 wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:47 pm
eek wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:05 pm
jjljks wrote:

Up until the formation of the step 3 midland division, there were 3 leagues feeding into step 3, providing 6 teams. 4 were from the south ( Isthmian and Southern Leagues) and only 2 from the North.

Thus each year the number of Southern based teams at step 2 would be likely to increase ( depending on how location of relegated teams)

the midlands division should mean that only 4 southern and 4 midland/ Northern based teams are promoted/ relegated, so the problem should not get worse in future, but nor will the new structure rebalance the previous inequality.
Don't forget or ignore the refusal by Northern League clubs to take promotion.

Every year at each step lines are redrawn on the most southern/eastern/western/northern teams.

If leagues don't promote the balance will shift away from them.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:14 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:57 pm
onewayup wrote:
Not that old chestnut.
:lol:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

eek

Post by eek » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:22 pm