DFC Voted for League to be Null & Void

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: DFC Voted for League to be Null & Void

Post by divas » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:07 pm

Geordie Quaker wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 pm
And Spennymoor have done the same. Fair play, this is a superb, strongly worded statement:

https://spennymoortownfc.co.uk/2021/02/ ... -director/
Spennymoor Town is a semi-professional football club, many of whose players have primary forms of employment which would be impacted by them risking transmission on the football pitch multiple times per week, let alone the risk that poses to their families.

This is what it all boils down to for me at this level. Let the NL that is predominately full time carry on and stop the part time NLN/S

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:14 pm

What a good statement by Spennymoor :clap: The best written one I've seen.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:25 pm

A much more measured and sensible statement than the confrontational claptrap from Fylde. It also helps to nail the lie about clubs being motivated in their voting purely according to whether they are in the running for promotion or fighting relegation. As an aside, I didn't know Spenny had a "benefactor"... really? ;)

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:48 pm

Not always been a fan of the regime at Spennymoor but on this occasion 100% agree with them. Well worded statement and explains their position and takes in to account the needs of other clubs not just themselves. Well done Uncle Brad.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:08 pm

Not often you can say good things about Spenny, but their statement on null & voiding is one. Hope that some of the numpties on NL board can read & realise it is the only way to safeguard the future of football at this level.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:55 pm

Credit to Spenny for being so decisive. Will be interesting to see how those clubs who have said they will not fulfill future fixtures react if the vote to stop goes against them. Will they stick to their guns and take whatever the league throw at them? Whatever the sanctions available to the league according to their rules they surely can't expel/relegate a whole batch of clubs.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Alfie wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:55 pm
Credit to Spenny for being so decisive. Will be interesting to see how those clubs who have said they will not fulfill future fixtures react if the vote to stop goes against them. Will they stick to their guns and take whatever the league throw at them? Whatever the sanctions available to the league according to their rules they surely can't expel/relegate a whole batch of clubs.
That situation hopefully won't arise & season will be declared null & void.

It would be interesting to see what the NL management do if vote is to continue and numerous clubs refuse to play on.

Can the NL punish them all

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:35 pm

Wonder if we will make a stand and decide not to play York on Tuesday.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:04 pm

Looking at the BBC weather forecast I don’t think need to, the decision will be made for us.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:53 am

Looked at NLN fixtures for 6 Feb and only 2 games of 11 going ahead today according to BBC Sport:-
Alfreton v York
Brackley Town v Chorley

Only 3 games in NLS

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:27 am

Four of the NLN games are off because the teams are in the trophy aren't they? I'm sure our board have the interests of the club at heart and will make the right decision about fulfilling league fixtures. I suppose there's a balance between taking us into financial ruin and playing on until the votes are in. Opting out (and applause for Spennymoor) probably needs the combined weight of a number of teams to make the NL listen. Fingers crossed for common sense to prevail.
I'd give anything to have all this behind us and watching us play again even in that horrible purple shirt! I've been so bored I've put a pile of Darlington away programmes and other stuff on eBay and the loft is looking clearer by the day.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:23 am

don'tbuythesun wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:27 am
Four of the NLN games are off because the teams are in the trophy aren't they? I'm sure our board have the interests of the club at heart and will make the right decision about fulfilling league fixtures. I suppose there's a balance between taking us into financial ruin and playing on until the votes are in. Opting out (and applause for Spennymoor) probably needs the combined weight of a number of teams to make the NL listen. Fingers crossed for common sense to prevail.
I'd give anything to have all this behind us and watching us play again even in that horrible purple shirt! I've been so bored I've put a pile of Darlington away programmes and other stuff on eBay and the loft is looking clearer by the day.
Yes, all Trophy games seem to be on, however these postponements just add to the backlog of fixtures. Makes sense to null & void now.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:45 pm

Alfreton v York now postponed due to waterlogged pitch.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:28 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:45 pm
Alfreton v York now postponed due to waterlogged pitch.
Cue “Bloody part time clubs”
And “Tin pot league” blah blah blah
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:32 pm

Bet Chorley wish they hadn't played today🤣

Darlo Dodger

Post by Darlo Dodger » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:50 pm

Interesting post match interview at Southport

https://southportfc.net/liam-watson-post-match/

Earl_Lee_Dawes

Post by Earl_Lee_Dawes » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:54 am

Darlo Dodger wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:50 pm

A man who says it as it is. Excellent interview.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:38 am

Darlo Dodger wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:50 pm

BRILLIANT INTERVIEW.

He says that threats of fines and punishments are being spoken about from the league if clubs refuse to play. And that the league are bullying.

If a club or multiple clubs refused to pay these fines that would make for an interesting showdown. The league suing a business for keeping to the law.

I can see the National league board and chairman getting removed here, firstly the inept way they dished out the grants, secondly suppressing the report about this contoversial distribution and now the total ineptitude that they've shown in the last three weeks.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:13 am

It looks like 40% of Step 2 have voted to null & void the season.

The majority of votes are in the NLN, with 10 out of 22 clubs voting for N&V so far.

This vote looks like it’s going to be tight.

Let’s hope the Chairmen/Directors of these clubs are ready to mobilise and take action against the bullying dictatorship of the National League, if the vote does not reach the 50% majority overall for Step 2, or if Resolution 1 does not reach the 75% majority.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:13 am
Let’s hope the Chairmen/Directors of these clubs are ready to mobilise and take action against the bullying dictatorship of the National League, if the vote does not reach the 50% majority overall for Step 2, or if Resolution 1 does not reach the 75% majority.
I thought originally it wouldn't. We need 24 votes basically to get resolution 1 through. Four of them will come from NLN. So need 20 out of 23 NL clubs.

Most seem to have said that they will vote in favour of resolution 1 so far. I don't know which was those in the relegation zone will do though.

The best chance they have of staying up may be to try and get it so the NLN/NLS season is N&V as it should prevent relegation for them, that would mean voting in favour of resolution 1.

That is making me think that it will be a division by division decision now - and that will still be tight looking at NLS.

In reality I think the Billericay approach might be the financially prudent thing to do. Assuming we get testing so it is safe to actually play games. Furloughing those on contracts will save the club financially and it would be a case of cobbling a team together that we can afford for the remaining games.

Other fans of clubs have said that damages the integrity of the competition - but what else can clubs do but just cut their cloth accordingly.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:46 am

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 am
Other fans of clubs have said that damages the integrity of the competition
It wouldn't really be a competition though. In the North it would mean forcing well over half the clubs to play kids and hangers on, in empty stadiums, while they try to lose as little money as possible. And for what. So a few richer clubs can get the chance of promotion? And the League saves face?

I shouldn't really, but here is the POV of a York fan, I copy it on here without further comment.

"Well as the majority of players are Part Time and don't rely on football for a wage your excuse for not playing has no substance. As for the club paying wages with no income if they are really concerned for their future then take a leaf out of Chorley and Marine who have not sat back in an effort to raise funds. Then there is the York City way and lose millions when we were playing long before Covid. In life there are those that can and the rest who just want to do nothing but complain." ..... Quote 'A York fan"!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:48 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:46 am
….

I shouldn't really, but here is the POV of a York fan, I copy it on here without further comment.

"Well as the majority of players are Part Time and don't rely on football for a wage your excuse for not playing has no substance. As for the club paying wages with no income if they are really concerned for their future then take a leaf out of Chorley and Marine who have not sat back in an effort to raise funds. Then there is the York City way and lose millions when we were playing long before Covid. In life there are those that can and the rest who just want to do nothing but complain." ..... Quote 'A York fan"!

Is that a complaint there from a York fan about what is happening? :lol: :lol:

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:02 am

spen666 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:48 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
….

Is that a complaint there from a York fan about what is happening? :lol: :lol:

Yes it is! Some of the stuff I've been reading lately online is ludicrous.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:23 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 am
Other fans of clubs have said that damages the integrity of the competition
It wouldn't really be a competition though. In the North it would mean forcing well over half the clubs to play kids and hangers on, in empty stadiums, while they try to lose as little money as possible. And for what. So a few richer clubs can get the chance of promotion? And the League saves face?
I agree. I am saying that is the option available to clubs to be financially prudent.

It will bite some of those clubs when they miss out on automatic promotion on goal difference because they beat a full strength [team name] 1-0 in November and someone else beat their kids 6-0.

Who is to blame for that though. The league are concerned with their own financial plight I guess and suppose as directors of that company they have duties to protect that.

If null & void makes the league insolvent they have a duty to not null & void. That is trying to give some balance to it and why it is quite a complex decision.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:01 am

There will also be Clubs who were hoping for the grants to mitigate losses which would have occurred even with fans attending. In the event that there are no further grants, the cynical side of me wonders if some Clubs have seen an opportunity to avoid losses with the furlough scheme and have therefore decided they don't want to play, citing Covid testing issues etc. etc.
I think that, morally, grants should be to compensate for lost income, rather than fund ongoing losses. We have teams in our league who attract gates of 200/300. Their lost income will be relatively small - maybe even nothing with a decent uptake of live streaming, and lower matchday costs (stewarding etc.)

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:11 am

The situation at present with this league reminds of a government who are in power in name only and have lost all credibility, Or Sepp Blatter at FIFA in his final days.

It wouldn't surprise me if more resignations follow or even complete meltdown, and as the Southport manager says in his interview - the chairman of the league hasn't made one statement and appears to be in hiding.

How can any sensible football club chairman take these people seriously?

And Wizard, the grants were intended to make up for lost fans only. It wouldn't of been difficult to work out a mathematical formula to get the right amount of money to every team but the league cocked it up. Some teams got too little (York for example) and some got too much (Boredom Wood)

The idea was a good one but the league cocked it up and then they suppressed the report into this cock up. There's a part of me that wonders if this balls up has contributed to the government refusing another grant, although of course it wasn't strictly government money first time round.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:00 am

Anyone know how Kidderminster voted? There is a couple of very cold nights forecast between now & Saturday so again the weather might get final say about the game going ahead.
Can't see our next opposition, Boston or Fylde, not wanting to play. Perhaps another 'beast from the East' would be handy or NL management board are shamed into action over proper funding for the loss of gate receipts.

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:56 am

Although a majority of clubs have voted, begins to look as if some are hanging on, taking advantage of the 28 day period, to see how things develop in the interim. Will be increasingly ‘awkward’ for us (and others) if our beloved NL Committee cannot declare voting results for another couple of weeks or so.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:36 pm

No matter how the voting goes it's down to the national league management to do what they in their eyes see right and proper, just like they did with the 11,million funding from national lotterys grants, and everyone knows how that turned out, total shambles,
Borehamwood not a 1,000 fans £252,000 of the grant, Chester over 2,400 fans £96,000 . No correlation between these clubs fan numbers but the smaller fanbase massively over paid, while the larger clubs massively under paid for lost gate revenues.
How can you trust the national league management after such calamities, truth ,trust, integrity, all missing clubs need to vote no confidence in the national league management.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:46 pm

onewayup wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:36 pm
No matter how the voting goes it's down to the national league management to do what they in their eyes see right and proper, just like they did with the 11,million funding from national lotterys grants, and everyone knows how that turned out, total shambles,
Borehamwood not a 1,000 fans £252,000 of the grant, Chester over 2,400 fans £96,000 . No correlation between these clubs fan numbers but the smaller fanbase massively over paid, while the larger clubs massively under paid for lost gate revenues.
How can you trust the national league management after such calamities, truth ,trust, integrity, all missing clubs need to vote no confidence in the national league management.
:clap: :clap:

If anyone ever wondered what "not fit for purpose" means - take a look at the shambolic way the that League decision makers have handled this crisis.

Only Jim from Dover comes out with any credit.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!