Season at risk of finishing early

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2203
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by Vodka_Vic » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:44 pm

DJ is adamant in his interview before the season started that clubs would,not have agreed to start the season had it been anything else but grants. Someone is lying, and I don't think it's DJ.

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4883
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:50 pm

I reckon there could be a number of clubs in the main National league who won’t want to play on, so any vote could be close to call.

And a fudge from the league would be unacceptable- this situation has been bubbling under for a while now, they’ve had loads of time to work out plans.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4883
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:44 pm
DJ is adamant in his interview before the season started that clubs would,not have agreed to start the season had it been anything else but grants. Someone is lying, and I don't think it's DJ.
Hope he’s got something in writing.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

LoidLucan
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by LoidLucan » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Just goes to show that you can't rely on trust and everything needs to be written down in a legally binding agreement... especially when dealing with governments or football authorities.

lo36789
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:21 pm

It was a big leap of faith to start - if I remember rightly the funding wasn't even agreed at the point we actually kicked off just guaranteed it would be coming.

quaker4life
Posts: 2431
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Contact:

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by quaker4life » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:16 pm

Scandalous doesn't even begin to describe this, it's beyond a joke.

It would seem both parties have apparently failed to differentiate between a grant and a loan and in doing so it would seem they have allowed this season to begin under the false pretence of financial assistance being provided via grants. At a time when most clubs have had all their revenue streams cut off taking on debt to carry on playing behind closed doors for an indefinite period of time just isn't viable, complete and utter farce and a total waste of time.

This season was a nonsense from the start, call it off.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

shildonlad
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by shildonlad » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:38 am

Why the hell would clubs want to take on debts to continue to play a bizare season behind closed doors with no fans. Surely the bulk of national league clubs cans survive on streaming alone too. Seems this has been dragged on very late in the day to the point where current funding has ended. Do they think clubs will be forced into taking loans and carrying on as the season is already well underway. On another note how are league 1 and 2 clubs been funded? Some of them wont have much bigger fan bases than national league clubs.
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

johnnylewis1k89
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:08 am

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by johnnylewis1k89 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:41 am

https://nonleaguedaily.com/no-care-in-t ... on-season/

Interesting read from Liam Watson the Southport manager.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
theoriginalfatcat
Posts: 4883
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:31 am

johnnylewis1k89 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:41 am
https://nonleaguedaily.com/no-care-in-t ... on-season/

Interesting read from Liam Watson the Southport manager.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good read.
Mr Singh said this " I'm not expecting to get back any of the money I've already put in, I'm prepared to write it off for the future of the club. I'm not hanging in to make any kind of financial gain in the short or long term - if someone was prepared to come in and take the club off my hands, I'd be more than willing to discuss it"

Tamworth matchday programme 26 Nov 2011

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 13202
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:34 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:31 am
johnnylewis1k89 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:41 am
https://nonleaguedaily.com/no-care-in-t ... on-season/

Interesting read from Liam Watson the Southport manager.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good read.
Nothing to disagree with in that excellent article.

onewayup
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by onewayup » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am

Very clear from southports liam Watson. Who is to blame for the mess the national leagues now find themselves in. Namely the national leagues management. Really is crass stupidity from there being no consistent communication between them and the club's they are supposed to represent, nothing forthcoming about future grants, or over the distribution criteria used to distribute the lottery funding to start the season. Stinks to high heaven of fishy goings on at the highest levels of national league's management committee. Club's could go to the wall because of this ineptitude.

spen666
Posts: 1986
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 am

onewayup wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am
Very clear from southports liam Watson. Who is to blame for the mess the national leagues now find themselves in. Namely the national leagues management. Really is crass stupidity from there being no consistent communication between them and the club's they are supposed to represent, nothing forthcoming about future grants, or over the distribution criteria used to distribute the lottery funding to start the season. Stinks to high heaven of fishy goings on at the highest levels of national league's management committee. Club's could go to the wall because of this ineptitude.

to quote a phrase "He would say that wouldn't he"

The NL clubs voted to start the season. The NL Clubs overall must take some of the blame for failing to ensure funding arrangements were in place after the first 3 months.

The NL management are only part of the problem. The clubs voted to start the season based on a promise of only 3 months funding

Darlofan97
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am

spen666 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 am
onewayup wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am
Very clear from southports liam Watson. Who is to blame for the mess the national leagues now find themselves in. Namely the national leagues management. Really is crass stupidity from there being no consistent communication between them and the club's they are supposed to represent, nothing forthcoming about future grants, or over the distribution criteria used to distribute the lottery funding to start the season. Stinks to high heaven of fishy goings on at the highest levels of national league's management committee. Club's could go to the wall because of this ineptitude.

to quote a phrase "He would say that wouldn't he"

The NL clubs voted to start the season. The NL Clubs overall must take some of the blame for failing to ensure funding arrangements were in place after the first 3 months.

The NL management are only part of the problem. The clubs voted to start the season based on a promise of only 3 months funding
It's ultimately a failure of governance and leadership from the National League.

It's also - equally - a failure of the DCMS to not recognise that funding in the form of loans will put clubs at risk.

When the first announcement of funding was made, the announcement stated that the funding "would help clubs survive this crisis whilst we work together on the safe return of fans". The original plan, at that time, was for fans to start returning. Therefore, the Government would understandably not commit to funding beyond December, as the plans were for fans to return before this date.

This has not happened due to spiralling infection rates, therefore you would expect the funding to continue to enable clubs to survive. Clubs that the DCMS has described as the "beating heart of our communities and too precious to lose". To now offer this funding in the form of loans is ridiculous, as is your assessment that club are - overall - to blame.

spen666
Posts: 1986
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:11 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am
spen666 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 am
onewayup wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am
Very clear from southports liam Watson. Who is to blame for the mess the national leagues now find themselves in. Namely the national leagues management. Really is crass stupidity from there being no consistent communication between them and the club's they are supposed to represent, nothing forthcoming about future grants, or over the distribution criteria used to distribute the lottery funding to start the season. Stinks to high heaven of fishy goings on at the highest levels of national league's management committee. Club's could go to the wall because of this ineptitude.

to quote a phrase "He would say that wouldn't he"

The NL clubs voted to start the season. The NL Clubs overall must take some of the blame for failing to ensure funding arrangements were in place after the first 3 months.

The NL management are only part of the problem. The clubs voted to start the season based on a promise of only 3 months funding
It's ultimately a failure of governance and leadership from the National League.

It's also - equally - a failure of the DCMS to not recognize that funding in the form of loans will put clubs at risk.

When the first announcement of funding was made, the announcement stated that the funding "would help clubs survive this crisis whilst we work together on the safe return of fans". The original plan, at that time, was for fans to start returning. Therefore, the Government would understandably not commit to funding beyond December, as the plans were for fans to return before this date.

This has not happened due to spiralling infection rates, therefore you would expect the funding to continue to enable clubs to survive. Clubs that the DCMS has described as the "beating heart of our communities and too precious to lose". To now offer this funding in the form of loans is ridiculous, as is your assessment that club are - overall - to blame.


I* did not say that clubs are overall to blame. I have even highlighted the words I used


Clubs have to take some of the blame. They agreed to start with only an agreement for funding for 3 months. They failed to consider the possibility that the situation would not be resolved within those three months. The clubs failed to get proper agreements in place before agreeing to restart the season. To that extent, clubs have to accept part of the blame.
Its a bit like agreeing to buy a house, when you only have a job for 3 months and no employment agreed beyond that period.

lo36789
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:21 am

We should never have been so fixated on starting in reality. That was really pushed by the NL though.

I would say is the expectation of football to just be handed money is a weird one. Why football is being treated in such a special way compared to most other businesses.

Furlough has enabled a reduced cost base, grants have helped to partially cover fixed costs, but the majority of funding available has been via low interest loans.

That has really been to support a business hibernation, not to just carry on with the same operation.

Every business loan puts businesses at risk. If a loan is being taken to just cover operational losses then all it creates is a burden longer term to make sufficient profit to pay off the interest and capital repayments.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:31 am

spen666 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:11 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am
spen666 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 am
onewayup wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am
Very clear from southports liam Watson. Who is to blame for the mess the national leagues now find themselves in. Namely the national leagues management. Really is crass stupidity from there being no consistent communication between them and the club's they are supposed to represent, nothing forthcoming about future grants, or over the distribution criteria used to distribute the lottery funding to start the season. Stinks to high heaven of fishy goings on at the highest levels of national league's management committee. Club's could go to the wall because of this ineptitude.

to quote a phrase "He would say that wouldn't he"

The NL clubs voted to start the season. The NL Clubs overall must take some of the blame for failing to ensure funding arrangements were in place after the first 3 months.

The NL management are only part of the problem. The clubs voted to start the season based on a promise of only 3 months funding
It's ultimately a failure of governance and leadership from the National League.

It's also - equally - a failure of the DCMS to not recognize that funding in the form of loans will put clubs at risk.

When the first announcement of funding was made, the announcement stated that the funding "would help clubs survive this crisis whilst we work together on the safe return of fans". The original plan, at that time, was for fans to start returning. Therefore, the Government would understandably not commit to funding beyond December, as the plans were for fans to return before this date.

This has not happened due to spiralling infection rates, therefore you would expect the funding to continue to enable clubs to survive. Clubs that the DCMS has described as the "beating heart of our communities and too precious to lose". To now offer this funding in the form of loans is ridiculous, as is your assessment that club are - overall - to blame.


I* did not say that clubs are overall to blame. I have even highlighted the words I used


Clubs have to take some of the blame. They agreed to start with only an agreement for funding for 3 months. They failed to consider the possibility that the situation would not be resolved within those three months. The clubs failed to get proper agreements in place before agreeing to restart the season. To that extent, clubs have to accept part of the blame.
Its a bit like agreeing to buy a house, when you only have a job for 3 months and no employment agreed beyond that period.
I'd say it's an awful lot different to that in many, many ways.

All clubs had the confidence to start the season in October for a reason. Confidence given to them from the National League board taking in to account the varying situations, scenarios and risks. Do you not think for one moment that member clubs considered that crowds would not be allowed back in by January and fed this back to the National League? The buck stops with the National League board and the DCMS.

Even if clubs had not considered this risk, it would never be a reasonable assumption to expect the grant funding to be provided as loans from January onwards. It would be a reasonable assumption, however, to expect the funding to continue as grants until crowds are allowed in, after all, "National League clubs are the beating heart of our communities that are too precious to lose".

Wiseacre
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:57 pm
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:39 am

[Spenn 66
Its a bit like agreeing to buy a house, when you only have a job for 3 months and no employment agreed beyond that period.
[/quote]

You might go ahead on the basis that you could get another job, or that something might turn up. The key here is hope, something footie fans need lots of at the best of times. Something that the fans at this club have found so often - the money raised this season to back up travelling expenses has been magnificent and I'm sure helped the players get the result at Weymouth. That's how you support your club and whatever happens next we know how much the club means. It would be a shame if the Trophy had to stop but my guess is that the fixture pile-ups will get worse and the whole thing will collapse - all football should stop at that point for reasons of equity and health, given the problems with goal celebrations and the slow torture of Steve Bruce. I say it's inevitable we'll lose the season - but not hope.

spen666
Posts: 1986
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:49 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:31 am
spen666 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:11 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 am
spen666 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:24 am
onewayup wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:59 am
Very clear from southports liam Watson. Who is to blame for the mess the national leagues now find themselves in. Namely the national leagues management. Really is crass stupidity from there being no consistent communication between them and the club's they are supposed to represent, nothing forthcoming about future grants, or over the distribution criteria used to distribute the lottery funding to start the season. Stinks to high heaven of fishy goings on at the highest levels of national league's management committee. Club's could go to the wall because of this ineptitude.

to quote a phrase "He would say that wouldn't he"

The NL clubs voted to start the season. The NL Clubs overall must take some of the blame for failing to ensure funding arrangements were in place after the first 3 months.

The NL management are only part of the problem. The clubs voted to start the season based on a promise of only 3 months funding
It's ultimately a failure of governance and leadership from the National League.

It's also - equally - a failure of the DCMS to not recognize that funding in the form of loans will put clubs at risk.

When the first announcement of funding was made, the announcement stated that the funding "would help clubs survive this crisis whilst we work together on the safe return of fans". The original plan, at that time, was for fans to start returning. Therefore, the Government would understandably not commit to funding beyond December, as the plans were for fans to return before this date.

This has not happened due to spiralling infection rates, therefore you would expect the funding to continue to enable clubs to survive. Clubs that the DCMS has described as the "beating heart of our communities and too precious to lose". To now offer this funding in the form of loans is ridiculous, as is your assessment that club are - overall - to blame.


I* did not say that clubs are overall to blame. I have even highlighted the words I used


Clubs have to take some of the blame. They agreed to start with only an agreement for funding for 3 months. They failed to consider the possibility that the situation would not be resolved within those three months. The clubs failed to get proper agreements in place before agreeing to restart the season. To that extent, clubs have to accept part of the blame.
Its a bit like agreeing to buy a house, when you only have a job for 3 months and no employment agreed beyond that period.
I'd say it's an awful lot different to that in many, many ways.

All clubs had the confidence to start the season in October for a reason. Confidence given to them from the National League board taking in to account the varying situations, scenarios and risks. Do you not think for one moment that member clubs considered that crowds would not be allowed back in by January and fed this back to the National League? The buck stops with the National League board and the DCMS.

Even if clubs had not considered this risk, it would never be a reasonable assumption to expect the grant funding to be provided as loans from January onwards. It would be a reasonable assumption, however, to expect the funding to continue as grants until crowds are allowed in, after all, "National League clubs are the beating heart of our communities that are too precious to lose".



The saying goes something like
"Don't assume, because it makes an ASS of U and ME".


If clubs ( All clubs who voted to start season) had not assumed and instead sort a proper agreement that f needed covered the whole season, we would not be in this situation.

Clubs should not have voted to start the season without funding agreement in place that can cover the whole season.

All the clubs are going to have to saddle themselves with debt, or rely on their owners to bail them out of a situation they allowed to happen. If they had not voted for the season to start they would not be in this position

Darlofan97
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:01 pm

The National League is the governing body for these clubs, it is their responsibility to get these agreements in place for its member clubs. It was the National League that gave assurances to clubs that they would get the support they needed and for them to commence the season.

The National League has badly let its member clubs down. It's shocking governance.

You seem to be - oddly - focusing on the (supposed) fault of the 66 clubs rather than the shocking governance above from the National League and appalling judgement from the DCMS. Odd.

EDJOHNS
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:39 am
[Spenn 66
Its a bit like agreeing to buy a house, when you only have a job for 3 months and no employment agreed beyond that period.
You might go ahead on the basis that you could get another job, or that something might turn up. The key here is hope, something footie fans need lots of at the best of times. Something that the fans at this club have found so often - the money raised this season to back up travelling expenses has been magnificent and I'm sure helped the players get the result at Weymouth. That's how you support your club and whatever happens next we know how much the club means. It would be a shame if the Trophy had to stop but my guess is that the fixture pile-ups will get worse and the whole thing will collapse - all football should stop at that point for reasons of equity and health, given the problems with goal celebrations and the slow torture of Steve Bruce. I say it's inevitable we'll lose the season - but not hope.
[/quote]

There is a slight difference to buying a house. Unless the rules have changed since the early 70's, If you become unemployed after purchase you can claim benefit to cover the interest part of your mortgage which is not repayable, and the mortgage can be set back to interest only until you have a new job, thus in effect a grant rather than a loan.

LoidLucan
Posts: 3452
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:29 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:13 pm

Spen's not very good with figures, especially when it's to do with subsidies...

lo36789
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:50 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm
Wiseacre wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:39 am
[Spenn 66
Its a bit like agreeing to buy a house, when you only have a job for 3 months and no employment agreed beyond that period.
You might go ahead on the basis that you could get another job, or that something might turn up. The key here is hope, something footie fans need lots of at the best of times. Something that the fans at this club have found so often - the money raised this season to back up travelling expenses has been magnificent and I'm sure helped the players get the result at Weymouth. That's how you support your club and whatever happens next we know how much the club means. It would be a shame if the Trophy had to stop but my guess is that the fixture pile-ups will get worse and the whole thing will collapse - all football should stop at that point for reasons of equity and health, given the problems with goal celebrations and the slow torture of Steve Bruce. I say it's inevitable we'll lose the season - but not hope.
There is a slight difference to buying a house. Unless the rules have changed since the early 70's, If you become unemployed after purchase you can claim benefit to cover the interest part of your mortgage which is not repayable, and the mortgage can be set back to interest only until you have a new job, thus in effect a grant rather than a loan.
[/quote]

I am not sure about that benefit to be honest, universal credit is 'the benefit' now.

That said this example is bad as there would also be a failing on behalf of the lender. Unforseen circumstances are different re job loss but it's why mortgages can be difficult for contractors / self employed.

eddie-rowles
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:51 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:09 pm

I am slightly confused if it is highly likely the season will stop why is DJ sanctioning AA to take additional players on loan and additional costs, either he believes grants will be changed to loans or more worryingly it will be voted by NL to continue playing against wishes of NLN and NLS teams? Next few days will be interesting.

shildonlad
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by shildonlad » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:18 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm
Wiseacre wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:39 am
[Spenn 66
Its a bit like agreeing to buy a house, when you only have a job for 3 months and no employment agreed beyond that period.
You might go ahead on the basis that you could get another job, or that something might turn up. The key here is hope, something footie fans need lots of at the best of times. Something that the fans at this club have found so often - the money raised this season to back up travelling expenses has been magnificent and I'm sure helped the players get the result at Weymouth. That's how you support your club and whatever happens next we know how much the club means. It would be a shame if the Trophy had to stop but my guess is that the fixture pile-ups will get worse and the whole thing will collapse - all football should stop at that point for reasons of equity and health, given the problems with goal celebrations and the slow torture of Steve Bruce. I say it's inevitable we'll lose the season - but not hope.
There is a slight difference to buying a house. Unless the rules have changed since the early 70's, If you become unemployed after purchase you can claim benefit to cover the interest part of your mortgage which is not repayable, and the mortgage can be set back to interest only until you have a new job, thus in effect a grant rather than a loan.
[/quote]
Theres insurance plans on mortgages and bank loans where you will get your mortgage paid for a set amount of time if you fall out of work. Not sure how this would apply to staff on casual contracts/self employed but could imagine such people not getting a mortgage in the 1st place
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

shildonlad
Posts: 498
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 pm
Team Supported: Newcastle united and gatesheas
Location: Chesterfield

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by shildonlad » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:24 pm

The grants were given to keep clubs going until fans could be allowed back and Its the government or shall i say the health chiefs who seem to be running the country now who are not permitting fans into the stadium so it there responsibility to help clubs if they want them to continue. If they wont give them any help how can they expect them to continue and why the hell should they bother. Its like a pub been forced to take a loan to keep it going with no customers allowed and operate a takeaway service, most have simply closed up and have staff on furlough
I may not live in the north east anymore but i still support the north east teams

EDJOHNS
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:56 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:25 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:39 pm
It’s absolutely shocking from the DCMS & the National League.

Either party may not have specifically said that the funding would not be in the form of loans distributed to clubs, but it is not reasonable to have ever expected this to occur.

If we were to continue to be funded at the same level as October, November & December (in the form of monthly loans) we will find ourselves with an additional £150k of debt plus any interest at the end of the season.

Some clubs will obviously need a lot more to survive the remaining 5 months = more debt owed.

It’s crazy. I don’t know how the National League board have allowed this to happen. The integrity of the league and the footballing pyramid is on the brink of collapse, in addition to any confidence in the governance of the National League board (they haven’t even provided a full copy of the Bernstein report on the funding formula to clubs, for goodness sake).

A u-turn is needed within the next 24/48 hours. Otherwise we should furlough all management & players until the end of the season and not fulfil our fixtures. That is a better option than being saddled with debt long-term, or even worse.
Not a good plan if we are the only 1 doing it as we would be seen to have resigned the club from the league. Back to NL or NPL at best.
We really need all clubs to stick together on this.

Darlofan97
Posts: 4654
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:44 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:25 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:39 pm
It’s absolutely shocking from the DCMS & the National League.

Either party may not have specifically said that the funding would not be in the form of loans distributed to clubs, but it is not reasonable to have ever expected this to occur.

If we were to continue to be funded at the same level as October, November & December (in the form of monthly loans) we will find ourselves with an additional £150k of debt plus any interest at the end of the season.

Some clubs will obviously need a lot more to survive the remaining 5 months = more debt owed.

It’s crazy. I don’t know how the National League board have allowed this to happen. The integrity of the league and the footballing pyramid is on the brink of collapse, in addition to any confidence in the governance of the National League board (they haven’t even provided a full copy of the Bernstein report on the funding formula to clubs, for goodness sake).

A u-turn is needed within the next 24/48 hours. Otherwise we should furlough all management & players until the end of the season and not fulfil our fixtures. That is a better option than being saddled with debt long-term, or even worse.
Not a good plan if we are the only 1 doing it as we would be seen to have resigned the club from the league. Back to NL or NPL at best.
We really need all clubs to stick together on this.
We won't be demoted.

Even if we were (which we won't), it would be a better option than putting the future of the club at risk by taking on substantial debt.

spen666
Posts: 1986
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by spen666 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:06 pm

This has been posted in reply to an earlier tweet from Oliver Bayliss

https://twitter.com/harrycannon1954/sta ... 6169759746
Last edited by spen666 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjljks
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by jjljks » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:06 pm

At all levels, football clubs cannot solely rely on gate receipts and our Board have identified this. It must be an integral part of the community, providing much more than 90mns of football every other week. Darlo fans recognised this when the club was resurrected and one of the first aims was to pay off debts. The last thing we can bear is a new debt without the means to generate income enough to service that debt whilst growing the club. All the NL clubs must stand together, get rid of the current incumbents who negotiated this "deal" with a Government who have no understanding of the situation facing our national game.

onewayup
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Season at risk of finishing early

Post by onewayup » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:15 pm

Let's be realistic here if funding grants are not made available, then clubs will go to the wall ,
Doesn't matter who said what to who, the fact is clubs cannot continue without paying customers
Very simple no money in to pay the bills, how can the league allow clubs loans that are unservisable.
The league management are solely responsible for the situation as it stands.

Post Reply