Southport away postponed

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

real_darlo_85
Team Supported: Darlington

Southport away postponed

Post by real_darlo_85 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:21 pm

Another rearrangement. :roll:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Old Git

Re: Southport away postponed

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Covid in the camp at Southport unfortunately. Was hoping this one might go ahead as being on the coast thought they might miss the frost and ice. Just shows you can’t make plans at present. Fixture backlog continues to build.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:46 pm

Wonder if we can bring forward our home game against Guiseley to this Saturday? Originally scheduled for a Tuesday night March 23rd. Would atleast mean we don't start falling behind in games again.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Government losing control of the situation. National League running out of time to complete the season. Clubs unrest due to lack of transparency and communication over funding. Is it really acceptable to ask part time footballers to play 34 matches between now and May during a global pandemic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:50 pm

If It's a bad winter regarding the weather and more Covid postponents, and some teams who happen to have been playing the wrong team at the wrong time, like us quite a lot, are forced to start to play 3 times a week, then the integrity of the competition is gone. I think we have 2 midweek fixture slots left before the end of the season. For long midweek trips in a part time league then often you have a player who has to miss a fixture due to work commitments. That's why they tend not to schedule them. This again skews the competition even further in the favour of full time and hybrid teams.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:53 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:48 pm
Government losing control of the situation. National League running out of time to complete the season. Clubs unrest due to lack of transparency and communication over funding. Is it really acceptable to ask part time footballers to play 34 matches between now and May during a global pandemic?

No. I actually think get as far as we can in the Trophy this year, if it continues. The league will eventually become a write off for us with too many midweek fixtures. There'll be no relegation probably due to Step 3 being off.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:21 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:53 pm
Quaker85 wrote:

No. I actually think get as far as we can in the Trophy this year, if it continues. The league will eventually become a write off for us with too many midweek fixtures. There'll be no relegation probably due to Step 3 being off.
Yes I agree with you. Make as much money as we can from the Trophy makes sense. League may well not be completed this season and even if it is we will face major difficulties in being competitive. Relegation looks like it will not happen also.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:20 am

Chester FC are raising concerns & made some very good pointa.
Chester FC, alongside our National League North counterparts, committed to start this season playing behind doors on this basis.

"While the distribution model employed for the funding received to date remains of separate debate, what was clear is that this funding was only intended to support clubs up to the end of December 2020.

"We are concerned that having now entered January and almost 50 days since the £11 million Sport England funding package for the National League was announced, clubs have not received any communication or guidance as to the makeup of these monies or its distribution.

"It is evident the Covid-19 situation in the UK remains turbulent and, while acknowledging the positive developments around vaccines, in the context of rising infection rates and tougher restrictions, the prospect of a meaningful number of fans returning to stadiums remains some considerable time away.

"As a matter of urgency, we have asked the National League to engage with its members and provide guidance and clarity about what, if any, financial support will be in place from January to May to enable clubs to complete the season.

"We have also reminded the National League that when clubs agreed to start playing in October there was no mention of loans, only grants, and we are firmly of the opinion that any future Sport England funding must not betray the trust we and fellow clubs placed in a number of parties at this time"

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 am

The season needs to be extended. It’s that simple. They need to sit down and agree to basically push the season back at least a month, maybe longer, by eliminating a bunch of midweek games. Those midweek slots can then be used by the ever increasing amount of rearranged fixtures.

I’d maybe argue we should take a break now also. The numbers will begin to reduce but probably not for about 3 weeks. If the league wants a completed season that is actually reflective of the teams playing in it, rather than squad depth and scheduling, then this can’t go on.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am

H1987 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:55 am
The season needs to be extended. It’s that simple. They need to sit down and agree to basically push the season back at least a month, maybe longer, by eliminating a bunch of midweek games. Those midweek slots can then be used by the ever increasing amount of rearranged fixtures.

I’d maybe argue we should take a break now also. The numbers will begin to reduce but probably not for about 3 weeks. If the league wants a completed season that is actually reflective of the teams playing in it, rather than squad depth and scheduling, then this can’t go on.
That assumes logical and rational thinking by those running the game. Good luck with that. :roll:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:24 pm

joejaques wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:00 am
H1987 wrote:

That assumes logical and rational thinking by those running the game. Good luck with that. :roll:
Quite.

It’ll be left until the last moment, when some teams have already been severely disadvantaged

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:32 pm

H1987 wrote:
The season needs to be extended. It’s that simple.
It isn't that simple though is it.

There is an international tournament starting in June, and if rumours are true may be changed to be entirely based in one country (potentially England). The pyramid has a certain dependency on the level above etc. so there would be a knock on with regard close season length / dates - also not sure what the FA can do in line with FIFA protocol.

It also goes back to the same old issues last season where contracts expire on 30 June.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:37 pm

Quaker85 wrote:

Yep. Season doesn't end until May 29th - that's just shy of 5 months away.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:49 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:37 pm
Quaker85 wrote:

Yep. Season doesn't end until May 29th - that's just shy of 5 months away.
play-off final is 19th June. i read somewhere that seasons cant be extended any further than currently planned for due to next seasons schedule to fit in and also there are World Cup qualifiers to deal with and fit in too.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:11 pm

I think it's time for our league to admit defeat on this season for a number of reasons.

The new virus strain, which transmits so easily, has now ramped up the dangers of players training, travelling and playing so frequently, especially when you consider one-third are asymptomatic and there is no testing. Lots won't know they have the virus and will be passing it on to other players, family members and those they work with and it's clear the prevalence of the virus in the community will be hitting increasingly extreme levels. It will be weeks or even months before things are properly back under control.

The virus and weather postponements will create an increasingly hectic schedule which will compromise the integrity of football. For many there will be far, far too many games to be fitted in to too short a timescale. The stop-start nature of things has already caused massive problems in the game.

It's clear there will very likely be no relegation from or promotion to our league due to the pandemic and its effect on the league below which makes carrying on with things a nonsense.

The financial situation is now ridiculous with the existing funding package running out and nothing acceptable in place going forward while clubs have to continue playing behind closed doors with income streams cut off.

The risks, dangers and league chaos I think mean it's time to bow to the inevitable. I expect this is what will eventually happen, possibly following a Government U-turn on elite football.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:02 pm

But what is the Legal position on players contracts (you just know who's going to reply to that one don't you!) if the rest of the season is cancelled. Do we have to continue to pay them until the end of June?

bga

Post by bga » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:04 pm

I know contracts didn't start until the first ball was kicked. Does that mean contracts are cancelled once the last ball has been kicked?

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:41 am

Who was it who said right at the start of this ongoing tragedy split the league in two if my suggestion had been taken up we wouldn't have been trekking all the way down to brackley on a Tuesday night for a start.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:30 am

bga I remember David Johnston saying that we had been using the furlough scheme from last March and that it can be used temporarily so I assume that if the season is paused then this will kick in.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:06 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:11 pm
I think it's time for our league to admit defeat on this season for a number of reasons.

The new virus strain, which transmits so easily, has now ramped up the dangers of players training, travelling and playing so frequently, especially when you consider one-third are asymptomatic and there is no testing. Lots won't know they have the virus and will be passing it on to other players, family members and those they work with and it's clear the prevalence of the virus in the community will be hitting increasingly extreme levels. It will be weeks or even months before things are properly back under control.

The virus and weather postponements will create an increasingly hectic schedule which will compromise the integrity of football. For many there will be far, far too many games to be fitted in to too short a timescale. The stop-start nature of things has already caused massive problems in the game.

It's clear there will very likely be no relegation from or promotion to our league due to the pandemic and its effect on the league below which makes carrying on with things a nonsense.

The financial situation is now ridiculous with the existing funding package running out and nothing acceptable in place going forward while clubs have to continue playing behind closed doors with income streams cut off.

The risks, dangers and league chaos I think mean it's time to bow to the inevitable. I expect this is what will eventually happen, possibly following a Government U-turn on elite football.
I think the time has come to bow to the inevitable. The country is in a far worse situation now than we were back in April when all elite sport was halted. It's time for the Government to take action and stop all elite level sport until these horrific numbers are reduced. This lockdown needs to be a full lockdown.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:07 pm

There is the cynical view that if elite sport is allowed to continue then it increases compliance as people at least have football to watch.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:24 pm

But also increases infections.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:58 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:30 am
bga I remember David Johnston saying that we had been using the furlough scheme from last March and that it can be used temporarily so I assume that if the season is paused then this will kick in.
The furlough scheme ends at the end of April.

Plus, some players may not be eligible for furlough payments depending on when their contract of employment commenced.

We need regular testing at our level if we are to continue. This needs to come from the National League, FA, PFA or DCMS. The National League is classed as 'elite football' and should be treat as such.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:25 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:58 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:

Plus, some players may not be eligible for furlough payments depending on when their contract of employment commenced.

We need regular testing at our level if we are to continue. This needs to come from the National League, FA, PFA or DCMS. The National League is classed as 'elite football' and should be treat as such.
Good point about Furlough ending shortly.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:58 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:

Currently ends at end of April. It was originally scheduled to end at the end of August 2020.

It's £125 per test (https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/13 ... 66789?s=19) to avoid taking tests off the NHS. Two tests a week per player is probably an average of 25 tests per club so 50 tests per club week.

66 clubs means a total of £412,500 per week in testing costs. That means from now until the end of May (20 weeks) it would be a bill of £8.25million.

That bill is reduced to £2.7million if they only did NL Prem and 'reclassified' NLN and NLS. Be interesting if thats what it boiled down to...

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:59 pm

The rapid flow tests are much, much cheaper and can be administered in-house.

The £8.25 million cost is 1.7% of the FA's annual turnover.

The game is awash with money and it's negligent that players of the 66 National League clubs aren't being tested when their fellow elite colleagues are.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:07 pm

It really is time to put the health of the wider community first rather than just taking a risk and carrying on with this increasingly meaningless and chaotic season. In the current appalling crisis, I can't see how it can be justified to just carry on regardless when the risks are increasing day by day. Also, re testing, one thing is certain, there would be many, many more postponements if by some miracle the money for a comprehensive testing regime was stumped up.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:32 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:07 pm
It really is time to put the health of the wider community first rather than just taking a risk and carrying on with this increasingly meaningless and chaotic season. In the current appalling crisis, I can't see how it can be justified to just carry on regardless when the risks are increasing day by day. Also, re testing, one thing is certain, there would be many, many more postponements if by some miracle the money for a comprehensive testing regime was stumped up.
I agree to a certain extent.

However, there are the financial/contractual issues which need addressing.

The furlough scheme ends in April and we may be committed to paying contracts until the end of May.

If we do access the furlough scheme then not every player would be able to access this under current regulations.

Regular testing could allow the season to continue and make things a bit safer.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:41 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:59 pm
The rapid flow tests are much, much cheaper and can be administered in-house.

The £8.25 million cost is 1.7% of the FA's annual turnover.

The game is awash with money and it's negligent that players of the 66 National League clubs aren't being tested when their fellow elite colleagues are.
I don't know which tests the EFL were requiring to be done on the 1st January to be fair to compare price.

I appreciate the as a proportion of turnover, in a normal year it is small, but then the FA have made about 20%-40% of its regional staff redundant this year - well more accurately they have slashed funding to County FAs who have had to react accordingly. Be an interesting take if they have money again.

I am not sure that they have a huge amount of cash anymore to play with. I suspect it will be the league (in the same way as the EFL / PL do it) who will be made responsible. If the FA did the NL the EFL and PL would want the same treatment for their members.

It's down to the league to sort it in reality and I just don't get the impression that the NL want to stump up.

The FA is in reality the regulator in the UK football set up. In the same way you don't get Ofgem providing energy, or Ofsted running schools, of the FCA running banks it would be an exceptional intervention for the regulator to pay the bill to keep an affiliated league operational.

The FA may require it of their leagues mind you...

It is obviously the right answer in the circumstances but there things will boil down to who is responsible and who foots the bill.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:53 pm

The FA could access funding through their funding partners (i.e. Premier League).

I don't think you can make like-for-like comparisons with Ofsted, Ofgem or FCA. The FA makes direct revenue from the clubs & players affiliated with them for one.

You then get in to what is actually morally correct to do in this situation, and any social corporate responsibility.

The FA is just one example. I did, of course, mention the National League, PFA and DCMS. It could be a combination of any of them.

Either way, players need testing at our level if we are to continue.