Spennymoor Boxing Day

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MB86DFC
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Spennymoor Boxing Day

Post by MB86DFC » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:01 pm

That was awful

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:06 pm

Considering the conditions i thought it was a half decent game. Had 0-0 written all over it but glimpses from both teams what they could do.. Im surprised more shots from distanced wasn't attempted though with that wind behind you its got to be worth a go

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Difficult conditions. Thought we looked a bit better than we have in other home games. But still not sold that we have the attacking players for the formation we are playing. Hatfield looked at it. That is deffo our best midfield three if we are going to play 4-3-3 and also we have missed Liddle.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Given the opposition, I was happy with a point. Neither side deserved to win it, the conditions won!! Surprised Bradford PA beat York, 4-2.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:12 pm

Very disappointing game conditions looked really difficult. Even so thought we were weak up front and hardly caused them any discomfort.Surely we needed Tyrone on a bit earlier as Maguire was having a tough time upfront.
Wheatley thoroughly deserved the Man of the Match award. I have said several times Reid should be playing at centre half and thought he did well today. If Laing is out for a while and Storey is out of favour then Reid looks a ready replacement to me.

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Yes Reid much better at centre back today than I have seen him play in midfield.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:28 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:Yes Reid much better at centre back today than I have seen him play in midfield.
Didn't put a foot wrong and his distribution was excellent. Had a really good game.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Don't really understand any negativity. The conditions were dire but we had the two best chances of the game and they created absolutely nothing.

Reid is without doubt best at CB and looks very composed back there. Today's shape was blatantly more solid and we never looked in any danger.

I would have been tempted to bring Rivers on earlier but can understand the hesitancy given the conditions.

Having said this, we have to beat Blyth for this to be a good point.
Craig Liddle is God!!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:34 pm

A solid point, on a day where the weather conditions were very difficult for football. Would have been nice to get the winner late second half, but very happy that we kept a clean sheet and for the most part didn't look like conceding. Credit to Reid for coming in and being solid after Laings unfortunate injury. Tough game for Maguire today but still think he put himself about well, still not seen much from O'Neill to deserve his start. 4-3-3 suited us and is definitely the way forward for our side.

Onto the Blyth game now. Need a win and to start moving up the league give us some form going into the new year.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:56 pm

Reid was excellent today never missed a thing read the game very well. Maybe that's his best position.
For me he was excellent. Sousa was tormenting them but they sussed he was an important player us and crowded him every time. Hatfield Wheatley, holness again showed why we need 3 middle men ,unfortunately nipper not getting the service and Campbell for me should have been in front of him.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:59 pm

I have to say I enjoyed the game, it was a full blooded game in difficult conditions. Armstrong got his selection right I thought, (although O'Neil coming on a touch sooner?) against a very decent team who can play football (they bossed York at Bootham Cresent). We kept a good forward line quiet, and much better than recent home games.

Personally happy with that point.

Quakerrunner

Post by Quakerrunner » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:28 pm

0-0 was a fair result as the game didn't have many chances in it. The conditions look hard to play in. I thought we were the slightly better side but as usual they stopped us playing by producing foul after foul (tactical). We didn't create much bar the chances for Campbell/Jaz and the Sousa shot which he should have done better with. That being said nor did they. We need to start to test the keepers more. We have such attacking power, but don't shoot enough. Sousa, once again in the first half was excellent but we need to try and get him in more central positions or have him on the ball higher up the pitch.

Thought the midfield three played well and edged the midfield battle. The game was pretty even with Thommo having a good chance half way through the second half. Apart from that and a Taylor shot they didn't test us and the defence did well to limit Taylor's chances to that one. Thought Reid played very well and kept their strike force quiet when he came on. Having Liddle back was a huge boost and he showed his class. Hopefully Laing's injury isn't too bad and he will be back soon. He made a superb challenge in the first half which stopped their striker from getting his shot away.

I would have liked to have seen Ty come on maybe 15 minutes earlier as his trickery and ability to hold up the ball worked when he came on albeit for the final 12 minutes. I think 0-0 was fair and it was the sort of game where a penalty would have been the only goal of the game, if there were to be any.

Pretty happy with a point. I said before the xmas fixtures I would be happy with 7 points from 9 and I think we can win at home to Blyth and have a really good go away at The Brewery Field.

Darlogramps

Spennymoor Boxing Day

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:55 pm

Not sure about people calling for O’Neill. He’s been bang average since re-joining us. He’s getting a bit of a free pass because of his good spell last year, but he’s not really brought anything this time around.

I think a point in bad conditions against a side who should be in the play-offs will turn out to be a decent result. It’s hard to judge right now because we’re in a false position given our lack of games.

Not a great game, but also not quite as dreadful as some are making out. But we really need a win against Blyth (and to stop picking up bloody injuries).
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

grytters

Post by grytters » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:35 pm

jjljks wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:59 am
Where is our "fan walking the dog" correspondent when you need them to report on the state of pitch?
Went to Leicester, apparently…

https://twitter.com/LeicNirvana/status/ ... 9723584513
Bring Back the Quarters

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:06 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:55 pm
Not sure about people calling for O’Neill. He’s been bang average since re-joining us. He’s getting a bit of a free pass because of his good spell last year, but he’s not really brought anything this time around.

I think a point in bad conditions against a side who should be in the play-offs will turn out to be a decent result. It’s hard to judge right now because we’re in a false position given our lack of games.

Not a great game, but also not quite as dreadful as some are making out. But we really need a win against Blyth (and to stop picking up bloody injuries).
We needed O’Neill because we had nobody on the pitch who could hold the ball up and bring others into play. He has been disappointing so far but has not been used in that role recently for some reason. For me he is the obvious replacement for Charman when he is injured.
Not a question of giving him a free pass but he is a striker and has not been used by Armstrong in a way that plays to his strengths.
Maguire has his attributes but for me is not the right man to play as a lone striker as he needs to play alongside another striker.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:55 am

grytters wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:35 pm
jjljks wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:59 am
Where is our "fan walking the dog" correspondent when you need them to report on the state of pitch?
Went to Leicester, apparently…

https://twitter.com/LeicNirvana/status/ ... 9723584513
How bizarre!🤣

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:32 am

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:55 pm

We needed O’Neill because we had nobody on the pitch who could hold the ball up and bring others into play. He has been disappointing so far but has not been used in that role recently for some reason. For me he is the obvious replacement for Charman when he is injured.
Not a question of giving him a free pass but he is a striker and has not been used by Armstrong in a way that plays to his strengths.
Maguire has his attributes but for me is not the right man to play as a lone striker as he needs to play alongside another striker.
I’m not convinced O’Neill is a hold-up player. He’s better with ball at feet, facing goal and creating things. I don’t think he’s as good with his back to goal trying use his strength to hold the ball up.

We shouldn’t fall into the trap of thinking because he’s taller than the rest of our forwards, that means he’s good at holding the ball up. I don’t think that’s his game at all.

I suspect that’s why AA has been trying him in a more deeper-lying role.

I think there’s no question that without Charman, we’re struggling a bit to find the right balance in the forward line.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:37 am

A point gained rather than 2 dropped and another clean sheet. Difficult to gauge with the conditions who was the better team so probably a fair but frustrating result.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:54 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:37 am
A point gained rather than 2 dropped and another clean sheet. Difficult to gauge with the conditions who was the better team so probably a fair but frustrating result.

Agreed, I was glad we ground out a point to get us on the board at home for the season. Neither side really created enough to say they deserved to win but it was good to see such a solid performance from the start - probably what we needed at home.

That said, we could really, really do with a win tomorrow.

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:42 am

Thought Reid played very well again at the back and guessing he will be there if game goes ahead tomorrow.
What has happened to Storey though? Barely makes the squad yet was arguably a really good prospect last season and provided some pace at the back which we totally lack? Is he injured, had Covid or just out of favour?

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:15 am

Quakerlad wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:42 am
Thought Reid played very well again at the back and guessing he will be there if game goes ahead tomorrow.
What has happened to Storey though? Barely makes the squad yet was arguably a really good prospect last season and provided some pace at the back which we totally lack? Is he injured, had Covid or just out of favour?
I like Reid at CB, only worry with any combination of Reid, Hunt and Laing is maybe a lack of pace, but Hunts reading of the game and positioning usually solves that problem.

It would be good to know what’s going on with Storey, he was the better option last season and looked like he had a decent partnership with Hunt emerging but got dropped after the Telford loss where neither goal conceded seemed to be his fault. Seems odd that after 4 good results he got dropped due to the Telford performance and now isn’t even making the bench

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:54 am

Thought we were solid yesterday, especially given the conditions. It was great to see the midfield 3 battle away and not get over-run like in previous matches. Chalk and cheese to the Telford match last Saturday.

I thought the referee had a shocker. Firstly on Curtis' challenge on Maguire in the first half and then Forbes' lunge on Holness in the second half. Referee bottled them both.

Probably the most direct I've seen a Spennymoor side and probably also the most dirtiest. It's not really something you associate a Spennymoor side with but I would say they more than met their match yesterday.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:42 pm

MB86DFC wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:15 am
Quakerlad wrote:
I like Reid at CB, only worry with any combination of Reid, Hunt and Laing is maybe a lack of pace, but Hunts reading of the game and positioning usually solves that problem.

It would be good to know what’s going on with Storey, he was the better option last season and looked like he had a decent partnership with Hunt emerging but got dropped after the Telford loss where neither goal conceded seemed to be his fault. Seems odd that after 4 good results he got dropped due to the Telford performance and now isn’t even making the bench
Yes I was wondering about Storey as well. Surely AA still not freezing him out after one poor performance when he was not the only player to have a poor game. Have seen nothing to suggest he has been injured so what has happened to him?
Pure speculation but in the absence of any information from the club I have to wonder if there has been a falling out between them.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:05 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:54 am

Probably the most direct I've seen a Spennymoor side and probably also the most dirtiest. It's not really something you associate a Spennymoor side with but I would say they more than met their match yesterday.
Really? They played exactly as I expected, as they've been playing this way for a while from the times I've seen them.

We looked a bit more solid yesterday than we have done in recent home games. That's the major plus from the game. Reid looks like a natural CB - although I'd worry about him and Hunt if we came up against a team with a bit of pace. Hopefully we can pick up a win tomorrow and then if we can get a draw on NYD then it would be a decent festive period.

dfcdfcdfc

Post by dfcdfcdfc » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:08 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:42 pm
MB86DFC wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:15 am
Quakerlad wrote:

Yes I was wondering about Storey as well. Surely AA still not freezing him out after one poor performance when he was not the only player to have a poor game. Have seen nothing to suggest he has been injured so what has happened to him?
Pure speculation but in the absence of any information from the club I have to wonder if there has been a falling out between them.

Saw an interview with AA somewhere (NESN perhaps) where he said the lad had come to him stressed with things outside the game (he's started a degree and some other things) where he said he wasn't giving his best to football. AA had said he would take him out of the front line for the moment.
I was relieved as seemed a reassuring reason as I think this lad could go far.