Darlo v Gateshead

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Darlo v Gateshead

Post by JE93 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Keen to move on from Sunday. Cant change what has happened can only look to turn over a new leaf with renewed focus on the league and no better place than to start with picking up our first home win of the season. Will be tough, Gateshead are a good side, they're full time and they've had an extra days rest than us. But no doubts if we perform to the levels we know we can, we can give ourselves every chance of winning.

With that in mind I would go for:

------------------------ Saltmer ----------------------
McMahon --- Hunt --- Storey --- Watson
---- Hatfield --- Wheatley --- Holness ----
Sousa ----------- Charman ------ Campbell

Subs: Minter, Laing, O'Neill, Rivers, Maguire

I'm sure plenty will sub Saltmer for Minter. But for me he didn't do much wrong on Saturday. I heard him shout when Atkinson headed it over him, that definitely rocked him a bit, but don't put him at fault for any of the other goals. At the end of the day he's our contracted player and think we risk ruining another promising young keeper by pinning things on him and dropping him from the side. Especially when Minter gives me a similar amount of concerning moments.

I'd keep McMahon in the team if he's fit enough to play. We need the option behind Sousa someone who wi get behind his winger and either go past him or Swing the ball into the box from deep. If Storey is fit he has to come back in, Atkinson can come out of the squad. If Storey is not fit Laing comes in to partner Hunt.

In midfield again Reid can drop out of the squad for me, he's not been in great form recently. Holness has to come in if he's fit, but if not I'd look to play either Hudson or Rivers, the kind of player who will play on the half turn and carry the ball forwards 10-15 yards and take us up the pitch.

That forward line is the strongest we have i think. Could swap O'Neill for Charman depending on his fitness after Sunday, but if he's fit I'd like to see Charman start again. He's our most all round CF. He'll run the Channels, back in and hold the ball up and look to get in behind. Give their CB's plenty to think about.

Whatever the team, I'll have my Quaker TV pass for Wednesday night and look forward to supporting lads.

Quakerrunner

Re: Darlo v Gateshead

Post by Quakerrunner » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:44 am

My starting 11 against Gateshead would be:

Salter - keeps his place ahead of Minter. He needs to regain his confidence and what better way than keeping him in the team. He didn't do too much wrong on Sunday and made a couple of good saves. Yes their first goal was a mix up but bar that I thought he did ok. Better communication between the back 5 is needed.

Hedley - I don't understand why McMahon is starting as he is quite slow. I don't think we should be playing with two older players on the same side of the defence. Hedley hasn't done much wrong whilst playing at right back. Last season he filled in superbly for Trotman. He has pace and lots of teams are trying to exploit us with simple balls over the top. His pace going forward will also be important as he can overlap Sousa.

Hunt - again he didn't do too much wrong on Sunday and provides much needed experience in the defence.

Storey - does anyone know what has happened with Storey? Sorry if I have missed something. He is a talented young defender who I believe is better than Laing and so that is why I have put him in. If he doesn't play I'm sure Alun will start with Laing.

Watson - presuming Liddle is still out injured

Wheatley

Hatfield

Holness - he provides some attacking intent every game he plays. He drives forward with purpose and can get us goals as we saw last season.

Sousa - has to start as he has been a breath of fresh air. That being said I though Jaz had a good game on Sunday and caused their left back problems.

O'neill - Charman didn't do much wrong on Sunday however, I think Ty is a better player and has been on the bench the past few games and so may have fresher legs.

Campbell

Bench: Minter, Laing, Maguire, Charman, Rivers

I would like to see Maguire get a good runout off the bench as I thought he played well before going off injured against Bradford PA.

It will be a very tough game but I can see us edging it. It will be important the players respond well as otherwise the 6-0 defeat may play on their minds. I am sure the lads will be raring to go. Their star man is Ex Newcastle and Hull City winger Greg Olley who I expect to be playing league football again soon.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:35 am

Quakerrunner wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:44 am
My starting 11 against Gateshead would be:

Salter - keeps his place ahead of Minter. He needs to regain his confidence and what better way than keeping him in the team. He didn't do too much wrong on Sunday and made a couple of good saves. Yes their first goal was a mix up but bar that I thought he did ok. Better communication between the back 5 is needed.

Hedley - I don't understand why McMahon is starting as he is quite slow. I don't think we should be playing with two older players on the same side of the defence. Hedley hasn't done much wrong whilst playing at right back. Last season he filled in superbly for Trotman. He has pace and lots of teams are trying to exploit us with simple balls over the top. His pace going forward will also be important as he can overlap Sousa.

Hunt - again he didn't do too much wrong on Sunday and provides much needed experience in the defence.

Storey - does anyone know what has happened with Storey? Sorry if I have missed something. He is a talented young defender who I believe is better than Laing and so that is why I have put him in. If he doesn't play I'm sure Alun will start with Laing.

Watson - presuming Liddle is still out injured

Wheatley

Hatfield

Holness - he provides some attacking intent every game he plays. He drives forward with purpose and can get us goals as we saw last season.

Sousa - has to start as he has been a breath of fresh air. That being said I though Jaz had a good game on Sunday and caused their left back problems.

O'neill - Charman didn't do much wrong on Sunday however, I think Ty is a better player and has been on the bench the past few games and so may have fresher legs.

Campbell

Bench: Minter, Laing, Maguire, Charman, Rivers

I would like to see Maguire get a good runout off the bench as I thought he played well before going off injured against Bradford PA.

It will be a very tough game but I can see us edging it. It will be important the players respond well as otherwise the 6-0 defeat may play on their minds. I am sure the lads will be raring to go. Their star man is Ex Newcastle and Hull City winger Greg Olley who I expect to be playing league football again soon.
I would give Watson a rest and put Hedley RB and give Mcmahon a chance to redeem himself at LB
If holnes not fit Oneil, otherwise maquire ahead of oneil he is better in six yard box.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:43 am

I do think Hudson needs as chance - otherwise what's the point.
Sousa to start yes, but Hudson on the other flank.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:26 pm

Why no Rivers in either eleven? I thought he was our best player on Saturday and was involved in our best moves goalward. This might be our most important game so far this season, if we stink the place out again at home we'll be singing if only this Christmas. :wtf:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:26 pm
Why no Rivers in either eleven? I thought he was our best player on Saturday and was involved in our best moves goalward. This might be our most important game so far this season, if we stink the place out again at home we'll be singing if only this Christmas. :wtf:
Totally agree with this. I thought he was maybe the only player to escape the weekend with any credit. He should start.

Geordie Quaker

Post by Geordie Quaker » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:43 pm

Thing is, if you start Rivers it has to be at the expense of either Campbell or Sousa. You cannot put him in the middle with Hatfield and Wheatley, we would be overrun in the middle.

Based on the existing system, I think the team laid out by JE93 is our strongest eleven. The question is are we playing the right system, particularly at home? I desperately want this shape to work as it is so entertaining to watch when it clicks, but a little bit of me is wondering if our embarrassment of attacking riches is forcing us to play a shape that's one the one hand too cavalier but also one that stops us playing with out and out width.

We are never going to get the best from Maguire if we don't start putting some balls in the opposition box, and we really need to use the wings more to stretch opponents when we inevitably go a goal down.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:01 pm

Game off - assume cause Storey tested positive. Might be good news as we can get a rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:16 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:01 pm
Game off - assume cause Storey tested positive. Might be good news as we can get a rest

Why do you think it is Storey ?
That is not what I have heard. Whoever it is lets hope they soon recover. Worry thing is that all the players were in close contact on the coach and hotel at the weekend.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:58 pm

Old Git wrote:
D_F_C wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:01 pm

Why do you think it is Storey ?
That is not what I have heard. Whoever it is lets hope they soon recover. Worry thing is that all the players were in close contact on the coach and hotel at the weekend.
Purely a rumour on social media. I have nothing to back it up, just speculation

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:16 pm

Fair enough but the club are not saying who it is and that is understandable. Rumours are not really helpful.