Fans before Christmas

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlobaz791
Team Supported: Darlington

Fans before Christmas

Post by darlobaz791 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:11 pm

It’s possible according to the latest news on BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54977370

Mister e

Re: Fans before Christmas

Post by Mister e » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:11 pm

As much has I would like to see fans return it is quite clearly stated areas with low transmission. So sadly I feel as though it will still be spring or until the vaccine is rolled out before our supporters are welcomed back to games. I also sadly can't see the government sanctioning fans traveling to away games just yet.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:05 pm

Before Christmas which year?

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:49 am

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm still firmly of the opinion that limited crowds should be allowed if they're allowing pubs and restaurants to open... but I do mean quite limited (not profitable for us, I shouldn't think). We should be ok with government funding in place anyway financially, but I hope we can get some limited numbers in for those who desperately want to attend / need the outlet... and honestly, to make it better for those of us watching at home. Football without fans isn't right. Even if those numbers are heavily restricted, i'd sooner 600 were there, as have been allowed in the lower leagues, than 0.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:00 pm

If fans are not allowed in just after Xmas then additional funding is required and look how that has dragged on for EFL teams.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 pm

Funding package announced today. £11 million for the National League from the Government to be distributed by Sport England as low-interest loans.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:09 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 pm
to be distributed by Sport England as low-interest loans.
Hummm. I mean with interest rates these days it could be next to no interest, but regardless the capital repayment will be a liability longer term.

May need to start thinking about ways to minimise reliance on this if repayable.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:18 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:09 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:37 pm
to be distributed by Sport England as low-interest loans.
Hummm. I mean with interest rates these days it could be next to no interest, but regardless the capital repayment will be a liability longer term.

May need to start thinking about ways to minimise reliance on this if repayable.
I'm sure the club will have a plan, however I should imagine these loans will be at a very low interest rate (lower than what you can get from a bank/over-draft facility) and the club may be silly not to take them and improve cash-flow/the club's financial position. There is still a lot of uncertainty over match-day income and the lottery funding beyond the New Year (I suspect this loan scheme may just replace the lottery funding which expires end of December).

It's difficult to say without fully knowing the club's current financial position, but it isn't everyday you get offered a loan on generous repayment terms...

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:40 pm

Don't think a loan scheme massively helps many of the clubs, it may help cash flow and I don't think we would take any major risks these days. However loaning money for day to day spends isn't the best plan, if clubs need it then they will/should but it seems like this could be just kicking the problem down the road.

We have already taken VAT holidays I believe, ok if we have the money to one side.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 pm

Oh I don't doubt they will be close to if not at base rate. The capital still has to be repaid though which means until that were paid a large amount of annual budget will be repayment of COVID debt.

I am not sure the club will have a plan right now. It's only come out today and until this point the money has been in the form of grants.

I suspect one will be worked through but I wouldn't be surprised if there won't be a call to arms to support.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:54 am

It could be that we have to increase the cost of streaming if things drag on. I’m sure we would all understand.

I think we will be ok, but I’d just be stunned to see fans particularly soon. (I think it’s crap if you’re going to open bars and restaurants, which they will, but we are governed by idiots)

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:59 am

No team should have to borrow money to replace lost gate income.

We've been done over, we only started the season because clubs were assured that their costs would be covered whilst they were playing behind closed doors. We could end up racking up an ever larger debt for 6 months.

OK grants cover lost income until the end of December, but clubs have truly been left dangling if they're expected to effectively play with no gate income from January if they're still forced to play behind closed doors. Yes we have the streaming income which covers a percentage of what we'd take on a match day, but that isn't the point.

Clubs should refuse to play in January, if no fans are allowed in.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:15 pm

I think they're expecting the vaccine roll-out to be gathering pace in January and making a difference over some of the restrictions.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:32 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:59 am
Doesn't help. This was the whole point once the season starts contract obligations for the season start.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:38 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:59 am
No team should have to borrow money to replace lost gate income.

We've been done over, we only started the season because clubs were assured that their costs would be covered whilst they were playing behind closed doors. We could end up racking up an ever larger debt for 6 months.

OK grants cover lost income until the end of December, but clubs have truly been left dangling if they're expected to effectively play with no gate income from January if they're still forced to play behind closed doors. Yes we have the streaming income which covers a percentage of what we'd take on a match day, but that isn't the point.

From what DJ said during a recent forum, I'm sure they will refuse.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:51 pm

Does this reopen the possibility of playing at the Arena again? To get everyone who wants to watch in person and still comply to social distancing then it makes sense. Having said that, more chance of HMG adding in new tiers which will prevent people in certain areas attending any function by having localised lockdowns.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:56 pm

Zero chance of fans before Christmas- just government looking for headlines.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:00 pm

jjljks wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:51 pm
Does this reopen the possibility of playing at the Arena again? To get everyone who wants to watch in person and still comply to social distancing then it makes sense. Having said that, more chance of HMG adding in new tiers which will prevent people in certain areas attending any function by having localised lockdowns.
Reopen the possibility? The only reason that we aren't at the Arena is because no fans are allowed in currently.

As soon as they are allowed back it will no doubt be under restrictions, so the Arena is the only option if BM has a capacity of 500 or so.