Guiseley v Darlington

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Guiseley v Darlington

Post by lo36789 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:20 pm
I think you’re right in the sense that there are times he’ll go quiet, particularly if defences don’t allow him that space with the ball at his feet. But for me, the ability he has when he does get going more than makes up for that.
I think it's unreasonable to expect players of that ilk to be 100% all the time as well. If the primary thing we expect from him is running full pelt at defenders that does come in spurts.

I actually think Sousa looks like an upgraded Thompson from what I have seen. The style of play is reminiscent but he looks stronger, quicker and younger.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 pm

Similar in some ways to what Paul Emson used to bring. At times brilliant, at times frustrating, and as soon as you started questioning his end product he would get a timely goal. I believe last seen as Quakerman 2's postman.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:46 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:
onewayup wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:09 am
bga wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:24 pm
Others may disagree but I think he has only had a good 45 minutes in each of his previous two games so at least he's consistent! Then again what do I know about football.
Your right what do you know, Sousa was at it all game, he's absolutely brilliant and more to come from the lad, I personally think he is being watched by scouting fraternity, I think he makes a difference quality always shines through. Laing was very good as well didn't miss anything.
I stand by what I said about his first two appearances, and I think he was quiet in first half last night. Second half different story.... let's move on and see if he can be consistent.
The thing I like about Sousa is he’s really different to anything we’ve got, and when he’s able to run at people, it will terrify defenders in this division.

Last couple of matches I’ve wondered whether his end product is his weakness. His pace and dribbling ability will worry defenders, and clearly he has great skill. However he got an assist and a goal last night, so maybe that aspect of his game will come together.

I think you’re right in the sense that there are times he’ll go quiet, particularly if defences don’t allow him that space with the ball at his feet. But for me, the ability he has when he does get going more than makes up for that.
Cannot disagree with that. Wonder if AA will stick with Minter for Saturday given that he seems to be a big unit and might be better suited to the physical style of play Alfreton will try and impise in the box? Having said that there's not much evidence from last night as to how he would deal with crosses.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:03 pm

My god Adam you have some memory .Used to have many chats to him when he was bringing the mail....really nice lad

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:17 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:
onewayup wrote:
bga wrote:
Others may disagree but I think he has only had a good 45 minutes in each of his previous two games so at least he's consistent! Then again what do I know about football.
Your right what do you know, Sousa was at it all game, he's absolutely brilliant and more to come from the lad, I personally think he is being watched by scouting fraternity, I think he makes a difference quality always shines through. Laing was very good as well didn't miss anything.
I stand by what I said about his first two appearances, and I think he was quiet in first half last night. Second half different story.... let's move on and see if he can be consistent.
The thing I like about Sousa is he’s really different to anything we’ve got, and when he’s able to run at people, it will terrify defenders in this division.

Last couple of matches I’ve wondered whether his end product is his weakness. His pace and dribbling ability will worry defenders, and clearly he has great skill. However he got an assist and a goal last night, so maybe that aspect of his game will come together.

His decision making and how that side of his game matures will make or break him in my opinion. Clearly loads of technical ability, but the example I gave where he could've set up Campbell for an easy goal but tried something flash instead is exactly the situation that will hinder him - I'm going from a very limited evidence base of course. There's a time and a place for showboating and 1-0 up away from home off the back of some relatively poor league form when there is a simple goal scoring opportunity is probably not it!
On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm

bga wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:40 am
Spyman wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:28 am
Sousa has incredible feet - there was one move not long after our first goal where he got in the box and for all the world looked like he'd square it to Campbell for a relative tap-in (and he should have done) but instead he did a little side step and had a go himself - ball ended up falling to Campbell at the back post and he volleyed it wide.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Possible appearance on next year's Strictly Come Dancing following Trots appearance on Love Island?
And Maguire on that diving programme.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:58 pm

Spyman wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:17 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
bga wrote:
onewayup wrote:
bga wrote:

His decision making and how that side of his game matures will make or break him in my opinion. Clearly loads of technical ability, but the example I gave where he could've set up Campbell for an easy goal but tried something flash instead is exactly the situation that will hinder him - I'm going from a very limited evidence base of course. There's a time and a place for showboating and 1-0 up away from home off the back of some relatively poor league form when there is a simple goal scoring opportunity is probably not it!
Cloughie would have subbed him for that in the past!

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:31 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:21 am
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:48 am
Special mention to Louis Lang for a very good solid performance bearing in mind his confidence will have been shot after the stick he received from Saturday.On that display he could well form a partnership with Nicky Hunt when he returns over Alec Storey. Also Jordan Watson played well at CB as well as LB and on that performance has to keep his place.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Indeed. The stick Laing got last weekend was ridiculous. It was his first game for something like eight months.

If one of our fan favourites had played like that in their first game for eight months, the comments would have been 'rusty', 'settling back in', 'he'll be fine after a couple of games'.
There's a couple of our players that aren't your flair or big named players, so some fans (who for some reason have to have scapegoats) like to point the finger at.

I understand why players get flack for a bad performance like Laing did against Telford (he wasn't the only one defensively), but sometimes criticising for the sake of it...don't get it. Players like Reid and Laing seem to be ones that a few aren't a fan of.

Laing is a good footballer, with a good brain. He needs to use his physicality a bit more, get a bit of a nasty streak in him. I'm hopeful that Hunt along with Holloway can teach him to be stronger and he'll do well. Reid has been ok this season. Probs goes under the radar a bit, cause he's not as pleasing on the eye as a Campbell or Sousa etc. Both are squad players and don't see the need for fans to get on their backs sometimes

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:32 pm

I think the reason I'd prefer holness to reid is more to do with the former than the latter. I really think holness pins our team shape together in a way that becomes a bit disjointed in his absence.