Holness returns

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Footifanreturns
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Holness returns

Post by Footifanreturns » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Footifanreturns wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:01 pm
He is lucky that we happen to have a batch of injuries, so he has a second opportunity to prove his ability by playing & putting himself in the shop window.
He is not lucky.

When did it become luck to be asked to do a job when you are proven to be proficient at that job.
To be fair, he may well not have been given the deal he's been given if Hatfield and Atkinson were not injured - so in that sense luck may well be involved in his having the opportunity to come back.

Of course, Armstrong may have asked him to come back regardless - he was offered a deal before looking elsewhere and we've not brought anyone else in to play in that position, so suggests he may have been here even with others still fit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Armstrong clearly stated a few weeks ago ( prior to the injury glut ) that he was happy with squad he had.

So yes he was lucky to get a second opportunity whether he is proficient or not. I doubt very much if we had not had the injuries he would have gotten the chance.

In no way am I against the non contract offer, he could be a good addition to the squad...It will be interesting to see if he takes a contract offer from us if one comes up.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:57 pm

Managers will always try and bring a few more players in if they can. They’re wired to be constantly looking to improve. We’re only guessing if we say Armstrong would/wouldn’t have brought Holness in depending on injuries etc.

It’s easy to say, well we already have x amount of players in that position so we don’t need Holness barring injuries. A lot of our squad are flexible in terms of having the ability to play across a number of different positions. I dare say both Atkinson & Hedley will end up having to play in defence this season given the games are coming thick & fast, which tends to result in more injuries & suspensions.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:06 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm
So yes he was lucky to get a second opportunity whether he is proficient or not. I doubt very much if we had not had the injuries he would have gotten the chance.
He's lucky if playing for us is the pinnacle of his ambition, which we know it isn't.

I could understand calling it luck if he contacted us and said "I could really do with somewhere to play?" and we said "well fortunately for you we need cover"

It reads more to me like he was perfectly happy doing whatever he's doing and we've reached out to him - in that sense we are the ones "lucky" that he is in fact available still as we are the ones with a need.

In this circumstance I just happen to think back to Spyman's original comment it works out well for both. I don't think that means he should feel lucky.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:26 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:06 pm
Footifanreturns wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:37 pm
He's lucky if playing for us is the pinnacle of his ambition, which we know it isn't.

I could understand calling it luck if he contacted us and said "I could really do with somewhere to play?" and we said "well fortunately for you we need cover"

It reads more to me like he was perfectly happy doing whatever he's doing and we've reached out to him - in that sense we are the ones "lucky" that he is in fact available still as we are the ones with a need.

In this circumstance I just happen to think back to Spyman's original comment it works out well for both. I don't think that means he should feel lucky.
Well it appears other clubs are not lining up to sign him.
As far as I know he was not playing elsewhere.
Signing for us on a non contract basis seems to indicate there was nothing on offer.

I think he is lucky , you don't... We all have our own opinion... To be honest discussing whether he is lucky or not is getting rather tiresome.
Hopefully he does do well for us & is offered a contract...
I would suggest it may well be the best offer on the table if it comes. Now that would be lucky 😉

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:24 am

If he is lucky that we asked him to help us out by the same token we are lucky that he was available to and agreed.

Guess both parties were simply "lucky"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:59 am

Great news for the club & Omar, welcome back.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:11 am

makes complete sense for both the player and the club. Don't hold hostilities against him for trying to better himself. I'm not one of these fans that think every player should be committed to Darlo FC 100% as if nothing else in life matters. In terms of the club, we need cover in midfield and he fits the bill. If it turns out to be more permanent in the future, then fine, if he moves on after, then fine. That's football. Alun will get the best deal for the club

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:30 am

Thought at first this referred to a rerun of Blockbusters which was to be used to keep students occupied & off the streets, hence reducing spread of Covid. Apparently NOT.
Omar did bring a bit of strength & stopping ability to midfield, which would be welcome again especially given Hatfield's injury. He is a utility player who AA knows can do a job for us, so happy to have him back.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:33 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:24 am

Guess both parties were simply "lucky"
The very good of you lo36789 to finally acknowledge Holness was lucky lol 😉😂

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:08 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:30 am
Thought at first this referred to a rerun of Blockbusters which was to be used to keep students occupied & off the streets, hence reducing spread of Covid. Apparently NOT.
Omar did bring a bit of strength & stopping ability to midfield, which would be welcome again especially given Hatfield's injury. He is a utility player who AA knows can do a job for us, so happy to have him back.
Never known someone who can only play one position been known as a “utility” player!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:28 am

He played right back last year at times

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:38 am

One game, IIRC, against Blyth who were shocking.

We had an injury crisis at the time with Trotman, Atkinson & Liddle out injured (Hedley hadn’t quite signed by then) and had to put a square peg in a round hole.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:46 am

I remember him playing right back a handful of times (not necessarily from the start) last season, and has played in offensive and defensive midfield positions to suit our shape in different games, but I'm not sure if call him a utility player.

But then these terms, and terms like 'natural' position mean bugger all in reality.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:34 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:24 pm
It’s the truth and if you find it offensive that’s your problem.
With Hatfield Wheatley Reid Atkinson and Hedley on the payroll there is no way we could offer a deal to Omar if they were all fit. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
Because Holness is better than Reid, Atkinson and Hedley?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:36 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:13 pm
Great news! Get the Hatfield - Wheatley - Holness trio back in midfield again and that will do just fine for me.
What he said. Best midfield in the league.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:34 pm
Old Git wrote:
With Hatfield Wheatley Reid Atkinson and Hedley on the payroll there is no way we could offer a deal to Omar if they were all fit. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
In your opinion.
Difference is they were all ready to commit to the club when Omar wanted to try his luck elsewhere. That was his choice but AA could hardly hang around on the off chance he would return. I remember AA stating he wanted players who wanted to play for the club so he obviously made his plans for the season without Omar.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:47 pm

Old Git wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:34 pm
Old Git wrote:
In your opinion.
Difference is they were all ready to commit to the club when Omar wanted to try his luck elsewhere. That was his choice but AA could hardly hang around on the off chance he would return. I remember AA stating he wanted players who wanted to play for the club so he obviously made his plans for the season without Omar.
Although he didn't sign any other central midfielders over the summer.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlogramps

Holness returns

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Old Git wrote: With Hatfield Wheatley Reid Atkinson and Hedley on the payroll there is no way we could offer a deal to Omar if they were all fit.
Clearly there was a way we could offer a deal to him if they were all fit, as we did precisely that in the summer.

My understanding is Hedley, Reid and Atkinson’s versatility meant we could offer a deal for Holness.
When Holness didn’t sign, McMahon did, which frees up Hedley and Atkinson in particular to play central midfield more. That’s not to say McMahon was a reserve option, I think Armstrong had an interest in him most of the close season.

But clearly signing McMahon means we’re less reliant on Hedley and Atkinson needing to play at right back.

But Armstrong has wanted Holness to stay since last season, of that there is no doubt. And he didn’t sign another central midfielder when Holness didn’t initially re-sign.

Obviously Holness went and tried his luck elsewhere, and no one should begrudge him for that (although evidently a couple on this thread do).
It didn’t work out so he came back here on a deal which suits both parties.

Not entirely sure why you and footifanreturns are taking the position you are. Comes across as bitter that Holness tried to get a better deal elsewhere.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:50 pm

Not bitter at all. Anyone has the right to try to better themselves in any walk of life.
Maybe no other central midfielders were signed because AA was happy with who he had. Unfortunately Hatfield and Atkinson have suffered injuries so the situation has changed and Omar has returned having failed to secure a deal at a higher level. These are simply the facts as we know them.

Darlogramps

Holness returns

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:20 pm

Old Git wrote:Not bitter at all. Anyone has the right to try to better themselves in any walk of life.
Maybe no other central midfielders were signed because AA was happy with who he had. Unfortunately Hatfield and Atkinson have suffered injuries so the situation has changed and Omar has returned having failed to secure a deal at a higher level. These are simply the facts as we know them.
You’re assuming we only went back in for Holness because of the injuries.

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:57 am

Good luck Omar and great competition for places in the team, looking at his tweets kept himself fit and just needs some match fitness,

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:20 pm
Old Git wrote:Not bitter at all. Anyone has the right to try to better themselves in any walk of life.
Yes

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Yes
As the saying goes, to assume makes an ass out of u and me.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:33 am

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Yes
These are simply the facts as we know them.

I assume.

DC

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:24 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Yes
Speak for yourself Gramps 🤔

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:53 am

Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:16 am
Old Git wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Yes
Speak for yourself Gramps Image
You’re the one making the assumption, Old Git, not me.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:49 pm

Sorry Gramps keep forgetting you know everything and anyone who dares to disagree with you must therefore be in the wrong.
Fortunately we don’t live in a totalitarian state so you must remember others are allowed to express their opinions and views. You could always relocate to China. Maybe we could crowdfund for a one way ticket for you?

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:08 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:51 pm

Not entirely sure why you and footifanreturns are taking the position you are. Comes across as bitter that Holness tried to get a better deal elsewhere.
I certainly do not want to get into a Statler & Waldorf like epic toing & froing that you two seem to relish, as amusing that is from the sidelines. 😉

Just to clarify my views as I have been mentioned by name in your dialogues.
I am certainly not bitter about Holness looking elsewhere & if you had read my posts Darlogramps you would have realised that, but you seem happier to put your spin on my views.
Just because I have a different view to you does not make me bitter or better. It is what it is ... A different view.
I still think Holness had bad advice from his agent to turn down a firm offer from us, a risk at any time unless you have a offer from elsewhere. More so in the middle of a Pandemic, taking that risk of being hawked around to see if he could find a better contract elsewhere when players were being offloaded by clubs all over the country because of budget concerns. Well apart from a few clubs like York , Boston etc who seem to have bottomless war chests. Holness & his agent thought differently, that is their choice.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but he finds himself back at Darlo without a contract.
Obviously another club may still come in for him & offer him what he wants, a full-time contract... Good luck to the lad if it happens, no bitterness from me.
I would suggest he has more chance of getting such an offer by being in the shop window of playing, by playing well & getting noticed.
As for being lucky getting an opportunity at Darlo again, I stand by that purely because Alun Armstrong said on several occasions ( prior to the injury glut ) that he was very happy with the squad he had & he could not foresee any more additions to the squad as thing stood. That changed with our injuries.
Sadly we do not have a bottomless war chest & non contract signings have been sensibly brought in to cover for our injuries.
If a player impresses in what in affect is a trial & we have the finances, contracts could be offered.
Holness could even be one of those, if not he & his agent will move on. That is football life.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Old Git wrote:Sorry Gramps keep forgetting you know everything and anyone who dares to disagree with you must therefore be in the wrong.
Fortunately we don’t live in a totalitarian state so you must remember others are allowed to express their opinions and views. You could always relocate to China. Maybe we could crowdfund for a one way ticket for you?
Seems a bit of an overreaction to me pointing out you’d made an assumption, which you’ve admitted yourself.

Hardly totalitarian to recite your own words back to you.

The fact you’re snapping and making personal attacks shows you can’t really answer the contradiction in your own argument.

All I said was you were assuming Holness was signed because of injuries. Given Armstrong’s earlier interest, it seems a bit of a leap to make that assumption, particularly as you’re using that assumption as your basis for describing Holness as “lucky”.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:53 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:51 pm

I certainly do not want to get into a Statler & Waldorf like epic toing & froing that you two seem to relish, as amusing that is from the sidelines. Image

Just to clarify my views as I have been mentioned by name in your dialogues.
I am certainly not bitter about Holness looking elsewhere & if you had read my posts Darlogramps you would have realised that, but you seem happier to put your spin on my views.
Just because I have a different view to you does not make me bitter or better. It is what it is ... A different view.
I still think Holness had bad advice from his agent to turn down a firm offer from us, a risk at any time unless you have a offer from elsewhere. More so in the middle of a Pandemic, taking that risk of being hawked around to see if he could find a better contract elsewhere when players were being offloaded by clubs all over the country because of budget concerns. Well apart from a few clubs like York , Boston etc who seem to have bottomless war chests. Holness & his agent thought differently, that is their choice.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but he finds himself back at Darlo without a contract.
Obviously another club may still come in for him & offer him what he wants, a full-time contract... Good luck to the lad if it happens, no bitterness from me.
I would suggest he has more chance of getting such an offer by being in the shop window of playing, by playing well & getting noticed.
As for being lucky getting an opportunity at Darlo again, I stand by that purely because Alun Armstrong said on several occasions ( prior to the injury glut ) that he was very happy with the squad he had & he could not foresee any more additions to the squad as thing stood. That changed with our injuries.
Sadly we do not have a bottomless war chest & non contract signings have been sensibly brought in to cover for our injuries.
If a player impresses in what in affect is a trial & we have the finances, contracts could be offered.
Holness could even be one of those, if not he & his agent will move on. That is football life.
I’ve read all your posts on this through the thread (not sure why you suggested I hadn’t) and it does come across as bitter to me. That’s why I said what I said.

Saying he’s “lucky” to get the offer from a National League North side, and “he wasn’t as good as his agent told him” does come across that you’re doing him down because he wasn’t 100% committed to us.

I also think you’re being disingenuous with your comments about him getting bad advice and “it was obvious clubs were cutting back”. Not actually true, unless you assume Holness was asking for bank-breaking wages. Plenty of clubs from National League upwards have been drastically overhauling their playing squads. As a NLN player looking to step up, it was not unreasonable that he might have got a deal.

He could’ve waited, but why wait? What if he gets a bad injury this season, that ruins his chances of a better move further down the line? Strike while the iron is hot and all that.

That’s why your snarky “he wasn’t as good as his agent told him” and “he’s lucky to get a deal with us” comes across as you being bitter.

There’s always been a section of our fans who seem to think every player should be Darlo through and through badge thumpers who love everything about the club. We had people on this board criticising the players who left during the 2012 administration, for example.

Your response in this thread is reminiscent of that. That’s how it comes across anyway.