Cambridge City at home

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Cambridge City at home

Post by onewayup » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:24 pm

With this rain and supposed high winds today we darlington FC need to be at it from the first whistle, as it could become a lottery,
Hopefull of a comfortable win and should be, but it won't be given to us work rate higher than cambridge city,s is what's required.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:46 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:58 am
TKOA wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:56 am
I don’t know if you’ve all seen the Facebook post but the 12pm cut off is for purchasing 50/50 tickets, not the live stream.
50/50 cut off is 3pm also.
They’ve just edited it thankfully! Thought I’d ran out of time.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:54 pm

Won 2 -0 for anyone who is interested Charman got both.

bga

Post by bga » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:58 pm

A good first half Cambridge made a game of it 2nd half. Am sure AA would agree we should have put a few more chances away. Good result which is all that matters.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Job done. Would have been good to score more goals but a solid 2nd half and a clean sheet. Everybody did well especially Charman who took his goals in great style.
Great to be in the 1st Round again.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Fantastic result, well played 👍

bga

Post by bga » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:04 pm

A good first half Cambridge made a game of it 2nd half. Am sure AA would agree we should have put a few more chances away. Good result which is all that matters.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:07 pm

After all the seasons without good cup runs we're now making a habit of reaching the 1st round. Just a shame we won't be able to attend what could be a plum tie, so hopefully we'll draw a club we can make some TV money from. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darl-Zero

Post by Darl-Zero » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Thanks Darlo TV
First time I used the streaming and very good quality, and commentary.
As an exile who only gets to a few home games a year I’d like this opportunity even when the fans are allowed back.
Virtual attendance 957 I think was said.

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:31 pm

Armstrong’s cup record across FA Cup and FA Trophy since he became manager roughly 18 months ago:

Won: 8
Drew: 1
Lost: 2

FA Cup Qualifiers

Played: 6
Won: 6

Three wins at home, three wins away.

Superb, with prize money, gate money splits and TV money must be around £200k extra income. Superb, we have been crying out for this as a club for years.

Hopefully another winnable home tie in the 1st round. Normally say biggest club away but no gate receipts and no chance of a day out so prize money for progressing the big draw. Prize money in next round is £22k.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:44 pm

The commentary thought the FA Cup draw was on Monday on BT sport, but can't find it on the listings.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:47 pm

It is but part of the Bishops Stortford coverage. It's before the game. Could be simultaneously on the BBC too but not 100% about that.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:54 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:47 pm
It is but part of the Bishops Stortford coverage. It's before the game. Could be simultaneously on the BBC too but not 100% about that.
7pm on BBC Two.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Marine at home would be my choice 👍

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:19 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm
Surely Skelmersdale at home?

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:22 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:19 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Ok then😀

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:32 pm

Quakerz will love it Skelmersdale have Brodie as well...he's always been keen on seeing him play at Blackwell Meadows.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:06 pm

Portsmouth, Hull City, Ipswich, Sunderland or Hartlepool at home - may get a TV tie from those. Failing those either Marine or Skelmersdale. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlogramps

Cambridge City at home

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:07 pm

As a genuine question, are people as fussed about getting one of the big boys at home, given no fans will be able to attend?

Or would we rather get, like DarloPartisan says, one of the lower-ranked sides at home to give us a better chance of progression and the prize money?

Personally I’m leaning towards the 2nd option. But the flip side is getting a Sunderland or Hull at home makes being on TV very likely, with the prestige (and money!) that would bring too.

But that just wouldn’t be the same without fans.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:10 pm

Looking at today’s cup results can only see ourselves and Brackley from NLN qualifying for 1st Round Proper. Not sure if there are any ties tomorrow.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:20 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:07 pm
As a genuine question, are people as fussed about getting one of the big boys at home, given no fans will be able to attend?

Or would we rather get, like DarloPartisan says, one of the lower-ranked sides at home to give us a better chance of progression and the prize money?

Personally I’m leaning towards the 2nd option. But the flip side is getting a Sunderland or Hull at home makes being on TV very likely, with the prestige (and money!) that would bring too.

Good question. I think one of the big boys at home for TV money would be great. Also another winnable game against a minnow would give us a good chance of another good payday. I believe around £20k is paid to winners in the next round.
Worst scenario would be an away game against a NL team with no glamour and only an outside chance of winning.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:25 pm

The issue is who other clubs get. With someone like Skelmersdale still in the competition it is highly likely they will be the TV game.

They can't even play home games at the moment because the council leisure centre they play at doesn't allow access to changing rooms.

Darlogramps

Cambridge City at home

Post by Darlogramps » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:34 pm

lo36789 wrote:The issue is who other clubs get. With someone like Skelmersdale still in the competition it is highly likely they will be the TV game.
Between BBC and BT, there’ll be at least four TV games with it being the first round.

And in recent years the BBC have been doing their Final Score, with the matches with most upset potential being on the Sunday.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:34 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

I think it would be some sort of financial result should we draw one of the big League 1 teams at home and on TV regardless of the fact no one can attend. A live game would probably make up for the gate we lose. Correct me if I'm wrong but there are obviously no gate receipts and I thought there is no 'losers' money from this round on, so surely anything that makes us a few £££s?

A not so glamorous tie and loss at this point would feel like a waste.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:36 pm

Off this thread but, a cracking result for South Shields beating Halifax 2 nil

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:45 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:34 pm
lo36789 wrote:The issue is who other clubs get. With someone like Skelmersdale still in the competition it is highly likely they will be the TV game.
Between BBC and BT, there’ll be at least four TV games with it being the first round.

And in recent years the BBC have been doing their Final Score, with the matches with most upset potential being on the Sunday.
True.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:

I was wondering this the other day. Its not quite the holy grail it was last season. Whilst drawing a Sunderland or Ipswich would likely guarentee us a TV spot, by guaranteeing a TV spot we cannibalise our Quaker TV sales (equivalent of ticket sales), thats assuming we'd be knocked out as the lower ranked team so we have no benefit of additional prize money. Whereas before we would have had a sell out crowd, associated advertising and hospitality and the TV money.

This time around it will only really be the TV money. So there's a big case for getting the lowest ranked team at home. Picking up £20k in prize money and moving into round 2, and hoping for a larger slice or TV money with a big draw in round 2. I doubt there would be as large a delta between the prizemoney and Quaker TV fund, compared to TV money and a defeat in round 1 as there has been in previous years.

I think I'd probably take a low ranked side at home, prize money and into round 2. But what a lovely situation to be in. Into round 1 for the second season in a row after so many years of poor FA cup performances.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:59 pm

Last year was £75k to be selected as a TV game.

Even if that is reduced to sat £65k, I would still take that right now.

However most likely we get someone away and it’s not a big deal for TV etc. weird one as the team don’t even know if we will be allowed to stream the games even if not TV selected.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:32 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:59 pm
Last year was £75k to be selected as a TV game.

Even if that is reduced to sat £65k, I would still take that right now.

However most likely we get someone away and it’s not a big deal for TV etc. weird one as the team don’t even know if we will be allowed to stream the games even if not TV selected.
Has that been announced somewhere? I thought that for as long as fans weren't allowed in streaming is effectively allowable.

I don't think it fundamentally changes things for BT and BBC as the KO times will still be different the streamed games will all be kicking off 3PM Saturday.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:16 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:19 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:
Careful what you wish for. Hell of a result for them today.

Edit: just noticed Marine's result too - so the careful what you wish for comment goes for Darlopartisan too!