Kidderminster Saturday October 10th

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Kidderminster Saturday October 10th

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:51 am

quakerste wrote:I' m afraid to say but it was not a knee jerk reaction last season when we played with two in the middle of the park we were poor it only improved as did our form when we played with three and put Holness in there. Unfortunately Holness decided he wanted to move on and has not been replaced which has weakened the team.

We have Atkinson, Reid and Hedley who can possibly play in the middle however non of them are box to box or creative players who will chip in with a few goals.

For me Alan has been far to loyal to certain players who are fringe/squad players at best Watson, Reid Hedley and we are yet to see Atkinson or the unfortunate Holmes.

In my eyes we should be progressing the team with a few of these players being released and fresh young blood brought through and brought on.

We are now in the position if Hatfield is going to be out for a couple of weeks I can seriously see us struggling with what we have got. That is not a knee jerk reaction but an observation from yesterday's game and my opinion of certain players
Calling for us to release players who’ve served us well, off the back of one bad game, is the very definition of kneejerking. Hedley was excellent for us last season (albeit in a different position). Now you’re suggesting he should be moved on? Get a grip.

Quick search of your post history shows you’ve not said any of this before, so it’s an opinion formed solely on the basis of this match. That’s kneejerking.

Goodness knows what you’ll be like if we lose on Tuesday. You’d probably quietly enjoy it, as you’d see yourself as being vindicated.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:55 am

quakerste wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:57 am
I' m afraid to say but it was not a knee jerk reaction last season when we played with two in the middle of the park we were poor it only improved as did our form when we played with three and put Holness in there. Unfortunately Holness decided he wanted to move on and has not been replaced which has weakened the team.

We have Atkinson, Reid and Hedley who can possibly play in the middle however non of them are box to box or creative players who will chip in with a few goals.

For me Alan has been far to loyal to certain players who are fringe/squad players at best Watson, Reid Hedley and we are yet to see Atkinson or the unfortunate Holmes.

In my eyes we should be progressing the team with a few of these players being released and fresh young blood brought through and brought on.

We are now in the position if Hatfield is going to be out for a couple of weeks I can seriously see us struggling with what we have got. That is not a knee jerk reaction but an observation from yesterday's game and my opinion of certain players
I think I can remember Hedley playing 2 games in CM for us Gloucester away last season where he came on in the 2nd half when O'Neil was injured in the first (it was a very positive performance from him) and then yesterday when he was thrown in having not expected to play from the start. So two games, one good, one bad and you label him 'Northern League standard at best'. If he has a good game against Tadcaster on Tuesday how will that swing things? Will he become NPL1 standard 'at best'?

I know he's northern league standard but Reid managed 2 goals in 13 games last season. The Oracle Holness managed 3 in 27. Infact Hatfield as good as he was only managed 3 league goals last season and he is the definition of box to box midfielder. I haven't seen you call out the others for lack of goals? But then again its far easier to just on a scapegoat after a couple of tough games.

Atkinson is one we might agree on. Its a shame we haven't seen more of him, and his injury record is disappointing, but most of last season was an ankle ligament injury, and this season he's tweaked his groin not too dissimilar to the hamstring tweaks across 3 or 4 members of our squad from an unusual preseason.

Don't know why Watson is being brought in either, he has always been here as a cheaper cover option for Liddle who most agree is more than good enough to be our starting left back. Barring a bad game against Guiseley last season Watson never let himself down. Especially at say Walsall away playing full time pros from leagues above. He stepped in every time he was required to last season so bit of a non point on him.

These comments are no different to that vile Facebook tin shed board. Full of know nowts spouting off at the first sight of troube under the guise of being 'passionate about the club' and 'watching since the womb'. What a load of bed wetters half our fan base are.

No one is saying you have to be delighted or think it was a positive performance, but try a bit of balance and a bit of context. We got through to the next round of the FA cup against a side who'd already played 4 competitive fixtures. We lost narrowly to Fylde a FT club and one of the league favourites, 1-0 on a Tuesday night to a great finish from a player who shouldn't be in this league. And now we've had a disappointing defeat (performance wise) to another FT side who will have had more than double the prep time to us at the start of this season. Of all 3 games yesterdays is the only one which I'm particularly down about and that's because in my opinion we didn't reach the levels of application we came to expect last season. And this is the basis for which you call for players to be released?

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:33 am

My take on it was the team didn't meet the standard of expectation expected of them,
Simple, I would sincerely hope that it is a one off, we have enough quality players to at least make a game of it but for some reason no one was firing on all cylinders, hence a very poor performance,
We move on to Tuesday and a much needed win hopefully. 2 league games in fylde competitive, kidderminster lacklustre, com,on it is what it is we can overcome this bad game yesterday,

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:36 am

Here’s one for the bed wetters Leamington away next Saturday is bottom v 2nd bottom. A six pointer this early in the season! 😲😲😲

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:15 am

:problem: :problem: From the comfort of my armchair it seems that the players have not been able to get in an effective pre-season. That might be forgivable under the circumstances but are other teams as sluggish and injury prone as Quakers seem to be at the moment?
The 'must win' post concerning yesterdays game had a point and now it's a 'mustn't lose' one one Tuesday. Taddy might fancy their chances. At least we seem to have a capable keeper but MOTM after letting in three tells its own story - something wrong at the back.
I think it's too soon to complain and the way things are going most of the teams will do well to last out the season. Just so long as we beat York - again.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:12 pm

In the next 12 games we only have two that I would say were as tough as our first two games, Brackley and Spennymoor away. We al know that AA's sides are streaky so don't be suprised if we put a good winnng run together. It has been a very tough start and we do seem under-prepared in terms of fitness. I don't know if we didn't play enough friendly games but we don't look ready to take on full-time teams at this stage.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:51 pm

This season more than any other should highlight the differences between full and part time teams in terms of pre-season preparation and playing 2 games per week. After October it usually settles down, but this season it won't. Couple that with the fact that some of our squad, particularly Hedley, are very undercooked. Yesterday's performance by Hedley was I guess no surprise. I just don't think he was ready to play a full 90 minutes, which under normal circumstances he wouldn't have done. I would gladly have taken a point before yesterday's game, even when 1-0 up.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:06 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:55 am

These comments are no different to that vile Facebook tin shed board. Full of know nowts spouting off at the first sight of troube under the guise of being 'passionate about the club' and 'watching since the womb'. What a load of bed wetters half our fan base are.
Nailed it.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:33 pm

Does anybody know how many people watched the game on TV?

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:09 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:33 pm
Does anybody know how many people watched the game on TV?
think 1071 was mentioned

Lallacab

Post by Lallacab » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:19 pm

I’m not too concerned, obviously a poor performance on Saturday but I think this is going to be one very strange season!

Who would have thought Villa would batter Liverpool ? Leicester to destroy Man City? We have the nucleus of a very strong squad and I firmly believe we are very lucky to have AA in charge and he will get it right

What I did feel was a little bizarre yesterday was that the back 4 and keeper individually didn’t play too bad , yet we still conceded 3 goals , was it down to lack of protection or just not enough playing time together ?

Hatfield and Campbell are two big misses for us , let’s hope they can get back fully fit quickly

StevieMardenboro

Post by StevieMardenboro » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:17 pm

I thought everyone in the defence played ok. We lost the match in midfield in my opinion.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:06 pm

StevieMardenboro wrote:I thought everyone in the defence played ok. We lost the match in midfield in my opinion.
That's the way I saw it as well, our back four had very little support from midfield and I thought we defended solidly enough.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:13 am

It might be trying to find any positives but for an academy recruit Charman looks like he is happy to mix it a bit more than I expected from the highlights.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:41 am

I must admit I like Charman, seems to have a footballing brain, and eye for goal and physically strong. Also thought Levi did well when he came on so 2 big cf and Campbell who can get in behind and caustic problems. Agree re defence thought they did ok although Wheatley played deep at times in support of back four which left
Headley and Ried trying to control the midfield both of who had little experience of games there last season. Saltmer did well too, little chance with the goals.

So overall we played badly but possibly not a lot to do to get it right for the future?

Talking to some friends from York, Tadcaster may be a tough game, they have a few decent players (although a few injuries too). If we don't approach game right we may get badly punished I was informed🤔

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:51 am

They got beat comfortably by Marine at the weekend and have otherwise won one league game (drawn two).

Have to approach it in the right way but should comfortably win if we perform.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:33 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:51 am
They got beat comfortably by Marine at the weekend and have otherwise won one league game (drawn two).

Have to approach it in the right way but should comfortably win if we perform.
Didn't we get beaten easily the game before Walsall? Perhaps taking the foot off the gas ready for the 'bigger game'. Michael Ingram and Andrew Milne are ex darlo connections from what I can see

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Well some of the OTT replies in this thread now look very silly.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY