Arena it is

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Arena it is

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:12 am

jjljks wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:21 am
Is Boris a mate of Fat Josh? His decree of no more than 6 people may have just killed the new season and our plans to get the trial events in, let alone full games. Why did this news get released at 22:30 last night?
I think some sporting events may be exempt, but that could change between now & the start of the season.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:27 am

It says organised sport is exempt. There is a massive variation in that and there is a split between participation / spectating etc.

Just see what happens. Speaking to Manchester clubs they are really not optimistic that they have long left before they will be forced to cease either hosting spectators or playing.

Leagues have basically said failure to fulfill fixture is a fine regardless of covid tests.

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:31 am

jjljks wrote:
Is Boris a mate of Fat Josh? His decree of no more than 6 people may have just killed the new season and our plans to get the trial events in, let alone full games. Why did this news get released at 22:30 last night?
Rule was no more than 30 people before so just reduced from that, this is not related to sporting events but to stopping people mixing together with no social distancing I think which is where they believe the latest surge is from. At least that is what I am hoping as I need my fix of Darlo footy.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:49 am

Quakers83 wrote:Personally, I wouldn’t be against a permanent move to the Arena if this temporary switch went well.

All hypothetical, of course.
Are they still planning on ripping up the grass for a 4G pitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Arena it is

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 am

50 years wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Rule was no more than 30 people before so just reduced from that, this is not related to sporting events but to stopping people mixing together with no social distancing I think which is where they believe the latest surge is from. At least that is what I am hoping as I need my fix of Darlo footy.
This is correct.

At a football ground, there’ll be protocols and measures in place e.g. social distancing, hand sanitisers, one-way systems, officials supposedly enforcing rules, and so on.

Hence why organised sporting events are exempt.

Whether it stays that way, who knows.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:52 am

Announcement at 4pm today, which will include details on the trial events

https://twitter.com/Ollie_Bayliss/statu ... 59744?s=20

Don't have a particularly good feeling about it to be honest

Makka Pakka

Post by Makka Pakka » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 am

Mister e wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:15 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:50 am
My thanks go out to DJ, board members, volunteers who have worked very hard to get this on and thanks to both rugby clubs having sensible discussions and outcomes. Possible season ticket holders used for test games, home draw for FA cup would be great .
No it wouldn't we've never won a single cup tie at the arena if my memory serves me right.
Actually won 9 out of 18 played. Did you forget the little cup run we had in 2011?
"At a meeting held at the Grammar School on Friday last - Mr Phillip Wood M.A., in the chair - it was resolved to form an Association Football Club for Darlington and neighbourhood. The opinions of those present were so unanimous as to the desirability of this step, that a committee was formed to complete the organisation of the club, and Mr Craven, 17, Garden Street, was appointed secretary pro tem." - The Northern Echo, Monday 23rd July 1883

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:50 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:04 pm
I don't like The Arena, I never did do - but in a strange way I'm looking forward to this temporary change, because for once I will be able to get a bit of height and see the game from a better viewpoint.
This is where I am tbh, actually looking forward to going back on a temporary basis

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:02 am

Anyone know what the condition the pitch is in at the Arena ?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:16 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:39 am
At a football ground, there’ll be protocols and measures in place e.g. social distancing, hand sanitisers, one-way systems, officials supposedly enforcing rules, and so on.

The only issue I can see is if they lifted up the veil and looked. Of the 15ish games I've seen or been involved in this season.

- no players are following any sort of measures. Changing rooms state they can fit 8-10 in with distancing the full squad plus management are all in there anyway. Speaking with managers and players they basically confirm that they are doing nothing differently except where they used to have signs up about warm up protocols, respect and gambling in the changing rooms which they ignored they now ignore other signs.
- Social distancing isn't being followed in crowds I would say 80% of attendees are occupying 20% of the available space.
- clubs are, where they have enough volunteers, repeating messages but from what I've seen all of them have been met with what is basically abuse from spectators who are asked to stand apart. That is clubs own fans abusing own volunteers for simply asking them to follow guidelines.
- match officials have been told explicitly it is not their role, basically beyond the new red card for coughing at an opponent, to enforce covid restrictions or report them. They can highlight issues to a clubs nominated officer but that is it.

There are two ways it goes. Either restrictions increase which forces hands because it become black and white (ie no fans allowed) or there is at some point acknowledgement that there is individual responsibility on attendees and participants to do the right thing.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:23 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:16 am
Darlogramps wrote:

The only issue I can see is if they lifted up the veil and looked. Of the 15ish games I've seen or been involved in this season.

- no players are following any sort of measures. Changing rooms state they can fit 8-10 in with distancing the full squad plus management are all in there anyway. Speaking with managers and players they basically confirm that they are doing nothing differently except where they used to have signs up about warm up protocols, respect and gambling in the changing rooms which they ignored they now ignore other signs.
- Social distancing isn't being followed in crowds I would say 80% of attendees are occupying 20% of the available space.
- clubs are, where they have enough volunteers, repeating messages but from what I've seen all of them have been met with what is basically abuse from spectators who are asked to stand apart. That is clubs own fans abusing own volunteers for simply asking them to follow guidelines.
- match officials have been told explicitly it is not their role, basically beyond the new red card for coughing at an opponent, to enforce covid restrictions or report them. They can highlight issues to a clubs nominated officer but that is it.

There are two ways it goes. Either restrictions increase which forces hands because it become black and white (ie no fans allowed) or there is at some point acknowledgement that there is individual responsibility on attendees and participants to do the right thing.
From the games I have attended down in London/ Essex this is the case here.

No one seems to take responsibility for their actions, preferring to blame authorities rather than doing their bit to help

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:07 pm

Makka Pakka wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:06 am
Mister e wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:15 pm
eddie-rowles wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:50 am
My thanks go out to DJ, board members, volunteers who have worked very hard to get this on and thanks to both rugby clubs having sensible discussions and outcomes. Possible season ticket holders used for test games, home draw for FA cup would be great .
No it wouldn't we've never won a single cup tie at the arena if my memory serves me right.
Actually won 9 out of 18 played. Did you forget the little cup run we had in 2011?
That was trophy apologies I should have been more specific I was referring to the FA Cup.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:58 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:23 am
lo36789 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:16 am
Darlogramps wrote:

From the games I have attended down in London/ Essex this is the case here.

No one seems to take responsibility for their actions, preferring to blame authorities rather than doing their bit to help
Not taking responsibility for their actions eh? I can't imagine where people got the impression you could do what you want from :roll:

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:03 pm

I see the race trial event has been pulled after a day (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/54084761)

It stuns me anyone can think, after over six months of this nonsense, that we can rely on the public to employ 'common sense'. There's far too many selfish, 'i'm alright jack' types in this country who won't do something for anyone else, and those types are enough to perpetuate the spread. It needs proper, clear regulations. Good luck telling a lot of football fans. Some of the above accounts are all too predictable.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:48 pm

jjljks wrote:
Nothing to do with Boris...It is down to people's stupid selfish behavior especially the 18 - 35 group that think they are both bullet proof & are beyond following instructions.
It is the general public's selfishness that will prevent public events like Football & Racing not the government.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:03 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:48 pm
jjljks wrote:
Nothing to do with Boris...It is down to people's stupid selfish behavior especially the 18 - 35 group that think they are both bullet proof & are beyond following instructions.
It is the general public's selfishness that will prevent public events like Football & Racing not the government.
The absolute worst people for distancing that I have witnessed, bar absolutely none, are roughly 40-60 year old men. They're the worst for not wearing masks as well.

Interesting that you don't extend personal responsibility to the idiot in charge though. You can't demand personal responsibility from individuals in society and expect none from those who lead.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:11 pm

I know it's entirely popular to blame young folks, but it's not true neither anecdotally nor factually.

Look at the state of this reporting (https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... -under-40/)

'nearly half aged under 40'... errr... so that would be the majority were *over* 40 then. Not to mention the 'under 40s' presumably also includes a bunch of children. Absolutely everyone in the above 40 category, aka the majority problem here, is old enough to know better.

This also leads me to question the wisdom of football matches with all but the strictest controls, given the demographics who will be involved in attending games. I'd place well over 50% of our normal matchday attendance in the 'Male Over 40' category.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:18 pm

H1987 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:03 pm
Footifanreturns wrote:
jjljks wrote:
The absolute worst people for distancing that I have witnessed, bar absolutely none, are roughly 40-60 year old men. They're the worst for not wearing masks as well.

Interesting that you don't extend personal responsibility to the idiot in charge though. You can't demand personal responsibility from individuals in society and expect none from those who lead.
Well you seem to know more than Public Health England or perhaps they should base their figures on what you have witnessed, I know which I would rather believe.

For the period 17 - 30 the Aug

Age 5-9 311 cases
" 10-19. 1818 "
" 20-29. 3995 "
" 30-39. 2580 "
" 40- 49. 1754 "
" 50-59. 1463 "
" 60-69. 800 "
" 70-79. 355 "
" 80 + 405 "

I am basing my figures on facts not a political bias.
By far the biggest groups are the 20 - 39 groups.
Last edited by Footifanreturns on Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Arena it is

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:26 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Boris leads a Government that openly admits to flouting international law.

He also let his own chief adviser and members of the cabinet break lockdown rules, and was too weak to sack them.

When that happens, it’s no surprise others are happy to break laws, particularly when the rules themselves are ridiculous and confusing.

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Please stop the political posts, they have no place on this message board

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:34 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:Please stop the political posts, they have no place on this message board
If the politics impacts on Darlington FC (in this case it does) then absolutely they have a place on this board.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:36 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:31 pm
Please stop the political posts, they have no place on this message board
Totally agree. It blurs the facts. :roll:

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:34 pm
Darlopartisan wrote:Please stop the political posts, they have no place on this message board
If the politics impacts on Darlington FC (in this case it does) then absolutely they have a place on this board.
No they don’t, it’s your political persuasion that dictates your comments, regardless of what is going on you are blaming the government

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 pm

If no fans are going to be allowed back to Elite sporting events in the near future, I hope the deal for playing at the Arena is on a per game basis, not on an annual / quarterly basis Otherwise club could have 2 rental liabilities and no income

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:53 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:55 pm
If no fans are going to be allowed back to Elite sporting events in the near future, I hope the deal for playing at the Arena is on a per game basis, not on an annual / quarterly basis Otherwise club could have 2 rental liabilities and no income
Why would you hope that ?
You are just trying to stir the pot again.

As it happens the agreement has a number of get out clauses.
Run along & worry about your own clubs affairs, no one on here cares about what you hope for.
Last edited by Footifanreturns on Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:53 pm

spen666 wrote:
Can't see how it won't because we wouldn't be able to commit to X number of games regardless - we have to go back to BM as soon as it's safe we are only at the Arena on safety grounds.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:23 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:53 pm
spen666 wrote:
Why would you hope that ?
Why would I hope that?

Maybe because I don't want to see any business get caught out by restrictions imposed as a result of covid_19.

When any club is in trouble, it weakens all football.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:34 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:23 pm
Footifanreturns wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Why would you hope that
Why would I hope that?

Maybe because I don't want to see any business get caught out by restrictions imposed as a result of covid_19.

Oh yes of course 🙄
You have more faces than the town clock.

You must have a very sad life spending all this time on another clubs Messageboard.
Run along now, nobody cares what you think.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:34 pm
spen666 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:23 pm
Footifanreturns wrote:
spen666 wrote:
Why would you hope that
Why would I hope that?

Oh yes of course 🙄
You have more faces than the town clock.

You must have a very sad life spending all this time on another clubs Messageboard.
Run along now, nobody cares what you think.
Its must be sad in your myopic world.

Some of us care about football in a wider sense than our own club. Hence why I will be watching football at my 4th venue in 4 days to support local clubs and watch football.

I don't want any football club to struggle financially, hence why back in 2012 I along with nany others donated to save Darlington when the Wolves were at the door.

Banter is one thing, seeing clubs go under is another thing

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:04 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:18 pm
H1987 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:03 pm
Footifanreturns wrote:
jjljks wrote:

Well you seem to know more than Public Health England or perhaps they should base their figures on what you have witnessed, I know which I would rather believe.

For the period 17 - 30 the Aug

Age 5-9 311 cases
" 10-19. 1818 "
" 20-29. 3995 "
" 30-39. 2580 "
" 40- 49. 1754 "
" 50-59. 1463 "
" 60-69. 800 "
" 70-79. 355 "
" 80 + 405 "

I am basing my figures on facts not a political bias.
By far the biggest groups are the 20 - 39 groups.
So, for clarity, you made an age group up in your head (driven by your own prejudice - there are no 18-35 groups anywhere), and the figures you’ve shared don’t demonstrate your argument as you have no idea what the breakdown is between 30-39, nor the over 18’s in the 10-19 group.. and they’re unlikely to demonstrate a significant correlation, given that those age groups are the most tested. Cool.

It’s brought about by selfish people of all age groups who think the rules don’t apply to them. I wonder where they got that idea from. Maybe it came to them on a day trip to Barnard Castle?