Ground share

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Ghost_Of_1883
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ground share

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:38 am

quaker4life wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:25 pm
Yes, reduce capacities to ensure safety, so surely allowing Darlo to move a bigger venue increasing capacity could be viewed as defeating the object?
How? The name of the game is not to have as few people as possible attending, it's to have as many people attending as possible, but within what the league regulates to be a safe % capacity.

Obviously the bigger the ground, the more people you can get in at 17/33% capacity, and still be socially distanced.

Regarding what you said about "If I was a chairman of another club, I'd be demanding a bigger capacity" - sure, if for example the safe limit is 17% and that is no good for you financially, then yes you can have a bigger capacity by extending your ground or by sharing a bigger one. Go for it. Fair's fair.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:43 am

quakersfan wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:25 pm
Does anyone know if DJ or DFCSG have actually spoken with Mowden at all? With the new owner/investor Ged Quinn they may well have different ideas.
No they never spoke to them at all, and this Ged Quinn fella popped up out of nowhere :roll:

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:46 am

Lawman3 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:58 pm
I’ve also seen mention elsewhere that the Arena’s capacity is down to 6,000 as only one stand is usable. If so (and I’ve no idea if that is true) then would attendances then be capped at 17 or 33% of 6,000?
I can't see that being true, all stands are virtually the same and made out of the same stuff.

I'd think that MP only use one stand for financial reasons

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:55 am

Fat josh wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 am
I am sorry but no
this entire return to the Arena agenda has been put in place by the arena worshippers
we now have in charge
They never wanted to leave the arena and now have used covid19
to put there own pathetic agendas before the football club
we will never leave the fuckin Arena if DJ has his way
fuck the undemocratic scum in charge
not my Darlo
Have you got ANY evidence whatsoever to support your conspiracy theory? Because that is all it is, a rambling paranoid rant.

Arena worshippers who never wanted to leave the Arena and used covid19 as an excuse? DJ had probably never even heard of Darlo at the point we left there, so that can't be true can it?

Pathetic agendas, what agendas? We need some meat on those bones there, what are you insinuating?

We will never leave the Arena if DJ has his way and fuck the undemocratic scum in charge? That is just totally uncalled for, no one at this club is scum. As for undemocratic, DJ and the board members and the SG have been tasked with running the club and they have to make tough decisions on our behalf. They do constantly put the feelers out for fans opinions, latest one being the survey about streaming matches.

You need to give your head a big wobble and get behind the club.

Dial A for the Arena.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:25 am

Well said ghost. It is what it is and we need to make the most of it, getting through this horrible time. The supporters group, board and volunteers give so much, with our fans contributing massively and they don't deserve this castigation. Josh, maybe you should post in the daytime and not at 3.54 am......

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:27 am

And re 'undemocratic', we are one of the most democratic clubs around. If there are those who feel the Arena is some form of 'agenda' from 'Arena worshippers' and that 'we will never leave' - well, they can put themselves forward for DFCSG board membership on that manifesto, and if enough of the fanbase agree they will be elected and then they can enact that manifesto!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:30 am

Fat josh wrote:
I am sorry but no
this entire return to the Arena agenda has been put in place by the arena worshippers
we now have in charge
not my Darlo
This rant is a disgrace and very insulting to the dedicated people running our club. I believe in free speech but this is well beyond what is acceptable. Unless he apologises I think he should be banned.
Last edited by Old Git on Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:31 am

al_quaker wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:27 am
And re 'undemocratic', we are one of the most democratic clubs around. If there are those who feel the Arena is some form of 'agenda' from 'Arena worshippers' and that 'we will never leave' - well, they can put themselves forward for DFCSG board membership on that manifesto, and if enough of the fanbase agree they will be elected and then they can enact that manifesto!
Exactly.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:11 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:31 am
al_quaker wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:27 am
Exactly.
Do I like the arena? No. Do I want to go anywhere near in ‘normal times’? No. Should we plan to use it if we can to get through this season? Absolutely- if we have anything that helps then used it.

Many other clubs would love to have the same opinion available.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:06 am

Fat josh wrote:
I am sorry but no
we now have in charge
not my Darlo
No need for that language.

I don’t like this idea either. I was annoyed the other day and stepped away from the keyboard rather than chucking abuse at others.

Even on reflection I still don’t like it, or how I feel like it’s been announced. I still think it’s fair to consult fans on something like this. It would certainly ease my own concerns if there was now some transparency on the risks involved and also how long ‘temporary’ is. It doesn’t need to be a fan forum (I can’t attend them from London anyway) but you don’t need to be a board member of a really active part of the trust to want to know such things.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:15 am

H1987, as has already been explained, the Board have to be given the autonomy to make these decisions, especially with fan representation on the Board elected by members of DFCSG. A consultation would have been futile as it would have wasted more time and it appears that the majority of fans are behind the temporary return anyway.

The club have released a statement explaining the request and the reasons for it. The reasons stack up given the very unique circumstances we find ourselves in and the proposed move has been requested with the best interests of the football club at heart.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Mister e wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:04 am
Fat josh wrote:
I am sorry but no
we now have in charge
not my Darlo
Fat Josh your not actually a former employee of Darlington football club by any chance are you - who just seems to harbour some kind of grudge against the very people who are trying to keep the club afloat?
Even though he has received a bucket load of abuse from fellow posters for his rant quiite rightfully in my opinion I notice he has still not returned to answer my original question food for thought I think.

eek

Post by eek » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:18 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:06 am
Fat josh wrote:
I am sorry but no
we now have in charge
not my Darlo
No need for that language.

I don’t like this idea either. I was annoyed the other day and stepped away from the keyboard rather than chucking abuse at others.

Even on reflection I still don’t like it, or how I feel like it’s been announced. I still think it’s fair to consult fans on something like this. It would certainly ease my own concerns if there was now some transparency on the risks involved and also how long ‘temporary’ is. It doesn’t need to be a fan forum (I can’t attend them from London anyway) but you don’t need to be a board member of a really active part of the trust to want to know such things.
Um, To ask the question "Would you go back to the arena for social distancing reasons" to Fans you first need to confirm we would be allowed to go back to the arena.

That means you need to ask the NLN and the risk is that the question would leak out so it's better to be up front rather than not.

Do I care where we play, not really.. What I do care about is ensuring we make enough money from playing that we last through the season and still exist in 2021/22 and that means that all supporters who wish to watch matches have the ability to do so.

And if we can't do that at Blackwell there is zero choice left except using the Arena.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:15 am
H1987, as has already been explained, the Board have to be given the autonomy to make these decisions, especially with fan representation on the Board elected by members of DFCSG. A consultation would have been futile as it would have wasted more time and it appears that the majority of fans are behind the temporary return anyway.

The club have released a statement explaining the request and the reasons for it. The reasons stack up given the very unique circumstances we find ourselves in and the proposed move has been requested with the best interests of the football club at heart.
“How long is temporary?” That would be as long as this pandemic deems that we have to social distance, but not one person anywhere knows the answer to this!

It could be ten games, it could be all season, or two years no one knows.

EDIT...... I’ve quoted the wrong person, should have been H1987 above.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:22 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:15 am

“How long is temporary?” That would be as long as this pandemic deems that we have to social distance, but not one person anywhere knows the answer to this!

It could be ten games, it could be all season, or two years no one knows.

EDIT...... I’ve quoted the wrong person, should have been H1987 above.
That isn't in writing though? It literally says 'temporary', which can be interpreted in a variety of ways. If it said 'we will play at the Arena for the duration of the Pandemic, until any restrictions return to normal' then I wouldn't be asking the question. It's entirely reasonable to expect that to be clear.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:30 pm

He's a troll not a darlington FC supporter. Fat josh ,fat head.silly silly numskull.

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:12 pm

If the league allow the move I think we will be there all season imo.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:35 pm

Seeing as Spennymoor are always boasting about their ever increasing fan base it might be cost effective for them to share the arena with us too ,😀👍

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:43 pm

Mister e wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:35 pm
Seeing as Spennymoor are always boasting about their ever increasing fan base it might be cost effective for them to share the arena with us too ,😀👍
Maybe one or two of the anti Darlo on here wil attend.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:08 pm

Mister e wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:35 pm
I expect their arrangements will be announced first on the new big screen at the Field Of Dreams :D

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Yawn - another Spennymoor related comment.

They aren’t our rivals, let them do their own thing. Granted I call Spen out on his blatant attempts to stir the pot on here, and although their fans can be obsessed with us at times, I have no idea why it’s reciprocated.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:44 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:20 pm
Yawn - another Spennymoor related comment.

They aren’t our rivals, let them do their own thing. Granted I call Spen out on his blatant attempts to stir the pot on here, and although their fans can be obsessed with us at times, I have no idea why it’s reciprocated.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:01 pm

H1987 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm
That isn't in writing though? It literally says 'temporary', which can be interpreted in a variety of ways. If it said 'we will play at the Arena for the duration of the Pandemic, until any restrictions return to normal' then I wouldn't be asking the question. It's entirely reasonable to expect that to be clear.
Well I think it's perfectly obvious what temporary means given the current situation.

How long is temporary, how long is a piece of string?

I take it to mean (if allowed, which is by no means a certainty) we would be there until it was viable to go back to BM. No one can know the answer to that one or even take an educated guess.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:01 pm
H1987 wrote:
Well I think it's perfectly obvious what temporary means given the current situation.

I take it to mean (if allowed, which is by no means a certainty) we would be there until it was viable to go back to BM. No one can know the answer to that one or even take an educated guess.
I do not think it's obvious at all. It could mean until restrictions are lifted, it could mean one season, it could even mean two seasons if restrictions still apply in a year. There are rules to changing venues midseason. It is unclear how these would apply.

It is not difficult to clearly state 'this is a temporary move, we will return to Blackwell Meadows upon the lifting of restrictions' or 'this move is for one season and we will return to Blackwell Meadows for season 21/22'. It is either sloppy or deliberately vague. It's entirely reasonable to ask such a question and the club should clarify it.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm

One point I have not seen mentioned ( and I don't know the answer) that may affect a temporary move to the Arena, is how this could affect any potential liability to repay the grants previously obtained.

The grants were to improve BM and on basis DFC would play there.

A move to the Arena would breach that requirement & could trigger a requirement to repay some/all of the grants. This is what did for Newcastle Blue Star when they moved from The Wheatsheaf Ground to Kingston Park.

It would be hoped that the bodies who made the grants would look upon a temporary move from BM as not a breach in the circumstances. However the argument against waiving any breach is that it was a choice of the club to move. It was not a case of BM not being available.

As the amounts of grants to be repaid reduces on a sliding scale, it may well be any amount if it had to be repaid would be small

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:05 pm

spen666 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:59 pm
One point I have not seen mentioned ( and I don't know the answer) that may affect a temporary move to the Arena, is how this could affect any potential liability to repay the grants previously obtained.

The grants were to improve BM and on basis DFC would play there.

A move to the Arena would breach that requirement & could trigger a requirement to repay some/all of the grants. This is what did for Newcastle Blue Star when they moved from The Wheatsheaf Ground to Kingston Park.

It would be hoped that the bodies who made the grants would look upon a temporary move from BM as not a breach in the circumstances. However the argument against waiving any breach is that it was a choice of the club to move. It was not a case of BM not being available.

As the amounts of grants to be repaid reduces on a sliding scale, it may well be any amount if it had to be repaid would be small
The difference is Blue Star's move to Kingston Park was never intended to be temporary.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:13 pm

Harrogate have chosen to tear up their pitch and groundshare for as long as it takes because they want to play at a higher level and they are not being asked to repay the huge grants they have been given. They could have just opted to stay in the National League, it was their choice not to. You are stretching things to a ridiculous level when a club like Darlington seeks a temporary move to get through a crisis with every intention to move back once it is over.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:57 pm

H1987 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:27 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:01 pm
H1987 wrote:

I do not think it's obvious at all. It could mean until restrictions are lifted, it could mean one season, it could even mean two seasons if restrictions still apply in a year. There are rules to changing venues midseason. It is unclear how these would apply.

It is not difficult to clearly state 'this is a temporary move, we will return to Blackwell Meadows upon the lifting of restrictions' or 'this move is for one season and we will return to Blackwell Meadows for season 21/22'. It is either sloppy or deliberately vague. It's entirely reasonable to ask such a question and the club should clarify it.
They don't need to clarify shitt.

Temporary means temporary and we won't move back to BM before it's viable. It can't mean anything else.

If there's a secret plan to move us to the Arena using covid as the excuse, then force us to stay there - as one or two of the most paranoid are thinking, then they aren't going to let that cat out of the bag and explain it now are they?

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:24 pm

H unless you have a crystal ball or you're a clairvoyant no-one can guage what temporary really means in the current climate. I suppose if DJ said permanent you'd have a point but it's temporary and in my view he has the club's best interests at heart. Why not email him seeking clarification?

curried Quaker

Post by curried Quaker » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Like most fans on this blog, I’m not a great fan of the Arena, but if it got us all in to watch our games next season, then so be it. I’d rather watch the game at the Arena than see a live stream. Also it may also be a wake up call for Darlington Rugby, who have taken us for a bit of a ride in the last two seasons we been at Blackwell Meadows.
If the government are so draconian with spectator numbers and social distancing at all football grounds, some of the teams in our league are going to struggle with reduced gate numbers and receipts, then the Arena will be an opportunity to maintain our gates receipts and playing budget.
Let’s put past grievances behind us and support the boards decision for the ultimate good of the club.