Ground share

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ground share

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:31 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:56 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:40 am
Of course this could all be a moot point as the league may refuse us dispensation if they think it's not fair on other clubs.
Ha the Elephant in the room!

Let's see. In a severe pandemic you would think that people's health and safety would trump any kind of pettiness from the league. Is this why D.J has gone about this in a more public way than he normally does things?

Yarblockos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:59 pm
It's a good job we aren't going to be paying the running costs of the Arena then isn't it? I'm sure Wembley is expensie to run but we aren't running that either. Not sure what this has got to do with the idea of playing games at someone's elses ground, i.e. DMPRC.
My thoughts too. All this talk about running costs and previous bad times are irrelevant to this proposed, temporary move.
Here’s a thought - actually read the thread properly and you’ll understand why it’s come up.

Hardly irrelevant when read in context, given the bad memories will put some off going, thereby reducing our potential income. Go on, I’m sure reading isn’t beyond you.

I've read the thread properly thank you.

This thread is about a temporary ground share at The Arena. We are not buying it or committing ourselves to anything other than that. It might be ten games, maybe a few more. "Bad memories" :roll: in the context of this situation (a global pandemic) shouldn't really come into it. We are talking about not going bust. We are talking about not excluding a large amount of our fanbase.

It baffles me why you feel the need to be so pernickety, patronising, argumentative, insulting and rude to other posters. Stop attention seeking and go poke someone else with your limp stick.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:37 am

The compelling argument against it would be if this was some sort of underhand bid to move us there permanently. Clearly that is not the case. If it makes financial sense and allows all our fans to attend then it's the right temporary fix in an emergency situation. I just hope the League will allow clubs the flexibility to find individual solutions such as this in these challenging times. I believe they will rather than being intransigent at a time when clubs are facing huge difficulties.
Last edited by LoidLucan on Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:39 am

AndyPark wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:25 am
My only worry is that we'll still have to pay the 60k (rumoured fee) yearly fees to Blackwell Meadows despite not playing there & also paying DMP rent too. Just wondering where this money is coming from considering we have fuck all?
My guess is we will have to cut accordingly and the playing budget will need to be adapted in the new year depending on circumstances.

It really depends how long this goes on for. If in the New Year we are back at BM as the government in their infinite wisdom (need to appease donors) reduce guidelines on social distancing. Then we can probably stomach it.

If we can't bring more money in, and we have some fixed costs then it's our discretionary spend which we need to adjust.

divas

Post by divas » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am

I think we’d have to be looking toward the players taking some sort of voluntary deferral or cut if the situation arose that we had to play more than a quarter of our games under our average capacity of 1400ish.

Perhaps this could be done in combination with another (smaller) fundraising drive from fans but there needs to be something from the playing side - as a fan it would sit better with me that all parties are playing their part under the unique circumstances.

Typically really, we’ve assembled what seems to be a really strong, competitive squad and it might end up being broken up through no fault of our own.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:49 am

New owner at Mowden Park. This guy is involved with a property company called SW that has been loaning money to Darlington Arena Ltd, the company set up by the rugby club to run the Arena.

From the Echo:

AN entrepreneur who founded an international engineering firm has pledged to help secure the future of the rugby club which owns one of the North-East’s largest stadiums.

Two years after becoming a board member of Darlington Mowden Rugby Football Club, members “resoundingly” voted in favour of Ged Quinn taking ownership of the National League club which is based at the 25,000-capacity Northern Echo Arena.

The decision was taken after outline of the club’s plans was presented to members at an extraordinary general meeting, which senior officials at the club said would have been held even if Darlington Borough Council had not pulled out of a multi-million pound scheme to develop a sports village beside the stadium.

Club insiders said Mr Quinn has been viewed as an ideal figure to steer the club through numerous challenges, including the financial concerns that all rugby clubs are facing in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

They said his appointed had been favoured by members as he brought with him a wealth of worldwide business experience across a number of sectors as the founder and chairman of the Vulcan Engineering Group that operates across three continents, as well being an owner and investor in a portfolio of businesses.

After the meeting, Mr Quinn said: “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed assisting Mowden Park and its management team over recent years and the passion of its members has shone through. I’m pleased to be able to help secure The club’s future and I’m determined to augment its long history as a sports club for the benefit of sport and the community of Darlington.”

Club chairman Mick Birch said: “We’re absolutely delighted with the outcome of the meeting. This new structure and direction will strengthen the club and ensure we emerge from the Covid-19 pandemic able to progress our plans for the future of Darlington Mowden Park and sport in the town.”

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:22 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:56 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:40 am
Of course this could all be a moot point as the league may refuse us dispensation if they think it's not fair on other clubs.
Ha the Elephant in the room!

Let's see. In a severe pandemic you would think that people's health and safety would trump any kind of pettiness from the league. Is this why D.J has gone about this in a more public way than he normally does things?

Yarblockos wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:59 pm
It's a good job we aren't going to be paying the running costs of the Arena then isn't it? I'm sure Wembley is expensie to run but we aren't running that either. Not sure what this has got to do with the idea of playing games at someone's elses ground, i.e. DMPRC.
My thoughts too. All this talk about running costs and previous bad times are irrelevant to this proposed, temporary move.
Here’s a thought - actually read the thread properly and you’ll understand why it’s come up.

Hardly irrelevant when read in context, given the bad memories will put some off going, thereby reducing our potential income. Go on, I’m sure reading isn’t beyond you.

I've read the thread properly thank you.

This thread is about a temporary ground share at The Arena. We are not buying it or committing ourselves to anything other than that. It might be ten games, maybe a few more. "Bad memories" :roll: in the context of this situation (a global pandemic) shouldn't really come into it. We are talking about not going bust. We are talking about not excluding a large amount of our fanbase.

It baffles me why you feel the need to be so pernickety, patronising, argumentative, insulting and rude to other posters. Stop attention seeking and go poke someone else with your limp stick.
I’m rude to people who are rude to others. You are persistently rude to others on here, yet don’t like it when you get some back.

For example, telling people what they’re posting is irrelevant is rude, particularly when it isn’t irrelevant. Moving back to the Arena, however temporary, will provoke legitimate discussion because of the past association. Telling people with concerns to “F*** off and support Spennymoor”, as some have done in this thread, is hardly getting them on side.

For what it’s worth, I have no issue with going back to the Arena in these times. It makes financial sense. But I do share the concerns of some about what comes next. This should be a fix to help the club out until full stadium capacity can be used again. It shouldn’t be an attempt to move permanently to the Arena via the backdoor.

And can we please stop with the entirely false “there’s a pandemic so stop complaining” argument. Just because there’s a pandemic doesn’t mean everything has to be put on hold. It doesn’t mean we can’t discuss the bad times at the Arena. They still happened and still are a concern for people - the pandemic doesn’t change that. It’s an entirely false argument designed to shut down discussion.

Now get over yourself and concentrate on the topic in hand, instead of turning everything into a personal criticism of me.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:27 pm

I really can't get my head around the hysteria about the Arena in this context. I'd always be firmly against a long term or permanent return to the Arena because its simply awful watching football in a 25'000 capacity stadium with 1500 people inside. But all the faffing on about "what it represents"...come on. It's a building. Individuals and circumstances relating to sole responsibility and upkeep are what crippled us there. George Reynolds, George Haughton and Raj Singh aren't involved, we aren't responsible for the upkeep or the bills, and we'd be paying a flat fee for use of the facilities on a match day, exactly as we do now at BM. The atmosphere will still be rubbish with a hugely reduced capacity and social distancing measures at BM, so the only thing to consider is do we want a third of our fans able to watch our games or all of them? If it gets the green light from above it's a no brainer to do it until crowd restrictions are lifted.

aveda

Post by aveda » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:47 pm

Breedon wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:27 pm
I really can't get my head around the hysteria about the Arena in this context. I'd always be firmly against a long term or permanent return to the Arena because its simply awful watching football in a 25'000 capacity stadium with 1500 people inside. But all the faffing on about "what it represents"...come on. It's a building. Individuals and circumstances relating to sole responsibility and upkeep are what crippled us there. George Reynolds, George Haughton and Raj Singh aren't involved, we aren't responsible for the upkeep or the bills, and we'd be paying a flat fee for use of the facilities on a match day, exactly as we do now at BM. The atmosphere will still be rubbish with a hugely reduced capacity and social distancing measures at BM, so the only thing to consider is do we want a third of our fans able to watch our games or all of them? If it gets the green light from above it's a no brainer to do it until crowd restrictions are lifted.
Not sure there's 'hysteria' but agree with everything you say here.

en passant

Post by en passant » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:04 pm

Breedon wrote:
Agreed again. Why are some people inflating this reasonable response to an exceptional situation into a debate about underhand plots to drag the club back to the scene of previous crimes against it, especially as, at present, we don't even know if it will be allowed to happen, or if the new investor at MPRFC would want to entertain the idea. With no better suggestions on how we can keep most fans attending games, and the possibility that it will make more finacial sense than holding games at a loss at BM, what else can we do but run with this proposal and see if it bears fruit?

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:10 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:22 pm
I’m rude to people who are rude to others. You are persistently rude to others on here, yet don’t like it when you get some back.
Incorrect, I am not rude to other posters. Apart from occasionally you.

You on the other hand are a serial offender. You are frequently nasty to other board members and in doing so spoil this forum.

In this thread the "topic in hand" is about a non-permanent move back to the Arena due to exceptional circumstancesI, about which I wrote "All this talk about running costs and previous bad times are irrelevant to this proposed, temporary move" - this statement is in no way rude to anyone.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

bga

Post by bga » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:17 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:49 am
New owner at Mowden Park. This guy is involved with a property company called SW that has been loaning money to Darlington Arena Ltd, the company set up by the rugby club to run the Arena.

From the Echo:

AN entrepreneur who founded an international engineering firm has pledged to help secure the future of the rugby club which owns one of the North-East’s largest stadiums.

Two years after becoming a board member of Darlington Mowden Rugby Football Club, members “resoundingly” voted in favour of Ged Quinn taking ownership of the National League club which is based at the 25,000-capacity Northern Echo Arena.

The decision was taken after outline of the club’s plans was presented to members at an extraordinary general meeting, which senior officials at the club said would have been held even if Darlington Borough Council had not pulled out of a multi-million pound scheme to develop a sports village beside the stadium.

Club insiders said Mr Quinn has been viewed as an ideal figure to steer the club through numerous challenges, including the financial concerns that all rugby clubs are facing in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

They said his appointed had been favoured by members as he brought with him a wealth of worldwide business experience across a number of sectors as the founder and chairman of the Vulcan Engineering Group that operates across three continents, as well being an owner and investor in a portfolio of businesses.

After the meeting, Mr Quinn said: “I’ve thoroughly enjoyed assisting Mowden Park and its management team over recent years and the passion of its members has shone through. I’m pleased to be able to help secure The club’s future and I’m determined to augment its long history as a sports club for the benefit of sport and the community of Darlington.”

Club chairman Mick Birch said: “We’re absolutely delighted with the outcome of the meeting. This new structure and direction will strengthen the club and ensure we emerge from the Covid-19 pandemic able to progress our plans for the future of Darlington Mowden Park and sport in the town.”

As I alluded to yesterday this is a massive decision for DMP members as it effectively means they are no longer a private members club which they have been since they were formed. Echo doesn't seem to highlight this point? It seems clear the decision they had to make was are you prepared to give this up to save the Club.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:43 pm

Given Mowden alluded to this investor, at the time the Sporting Village proposal seemingly collapsed with the council's withdrawl, I assume they have plans to rectify the concept, in some guise.
Craig Liddle is God!!

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:04 pm

Given the state of play globally, I wonder if the FA will significantly relax the ground requirements for promotion?! Perhaps even look to suspend many of them... clubs can not afford to be undertaking developments to their grounds they don’t need just to play in a league above...

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Now there is a new guy at the helm of DMP - surely now its an opportunity to get into bed with these guys about a future ground share, smaller stadium etc - we all know the issues with DRC - both the club and the ground itself - at the end of the day we have to look after ourselves and a new facility sharing Rugby and Football should be financially viable.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:24 pm

Seemingly so, but lots of questions too. What does he intend to do with the stadium? What if we jumped into bed and 5 years down the line it's sold on etc.etc. But certainly no harm in talking to him.

cbh89f

Post by cbh89f » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm

I think that DMP and any other parties should consider keeping the main stand which incorporates all the facilities ie Bars , boxes , changing etc and modify the other 3 sides to achieve a manageable stadium with a reduced capacity that would still generate non match day income ..

divas

Post by divas » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:37 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:08 pm
Now there is a new guy at the helm of DMP - surely now its an opportunity to get into bed with these guys about a future ground share, smaller stadium etc - we all know the issues with DRC - both the club and the ground itself - at the end of the day we have to look after ourselves and a new facility sharing Rugby and Football should be financially viable.
Ged Quinn has been on the periphery for a couple of years since he loaned the money to pay off the debt owed to Raj Singh although with the SV plan now shelved he’ll have to have a plan B if he doesn’t fancy waving goodbye to his cash

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Unbelievable that MP went to Radged in the first place though!

bga

Post by bga » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:54 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:24 pm
Seemingly so, but lots of questions too. What does he intend to do with the stadium? What if we jumped into bed and 5 years down the line it's sold on etc.etc. But certainly no harm in talking to him.
DJ has clearly been talking to the Board of DMP otherwise we couldn't have put for our proposal to play some games there. As he is on the Board we're already effectively communicating with him aren't we?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:06 pm

Quinn must see a good property investment opportunity long-term because from the outside the timing of it looks just about the worst it could possibly be. I wonder if MP have got some kind of binding guarantees, if that's possible, regarding rugby activities going forward. Quinn must be very sure about his investment and what can be achieved given that he still went ahead despite the council backing out.

Long-term for us, I would be very wary about throwing our lot in with a property investor with all the uncertainties and dangers that can bring.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:10 pm

[quote="en passant" post_id=465807 time=1597315816

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
[/quote]

There are reams of post above that seem to be focussed on a chimera. Let's get some reality back here, and like you say, stop dredging up all this old nonsense about why it was a bad idea to build it and who diddled who. We don't need the negativity. And for those who say that a return there will have bad memories and will put people off attending. Do you really think that this raking over past mistakes is helping to overcome these sentiments?
As I mentioned above, this is just a building in which we have no other interests or commitments other than providing a better prospect for both our finances and honouring a service to the majority of fans who still want to see our team play. Those who say they will not attend seem to want to bring up all the old troubles to justify their decision when in reality none of this is relevant. They also mention it being "souless", but I have seen just as many negative comments about the lack of atmosphere at BM, and that is now seemingly being held up as the better alternative. So I am stumped as to why the Arena, under current conditions and as a very temporary fix, is causing so much heart and jaw ache for a notable few.
[/quote]

Totally agree en passant, some people just like the sound of their much repeated opinions & are so self centered that they think other people care. The only slightly amusing thing about them are their responses when anyone actually has the temerity to question their obvious superior knowledge of all things.
It probably why the traffic on this site appears to be dwindling, having to trawl through reams of their inflated egotistical rantings is extremely boring. They make Pete's number of posts league table seem quite interesting 😅

Anyway enough from me on the subject & back to the relevant ORIGINAL post... Yes it does seem to be a great idea to temporarily move back to the Arena if it helps the Darlo cause... Despite the bad memories & shenanigans of the past. 😲

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:16 pm

Breedon wrote:
What he said 👏

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:25 pm

divas wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 am
I think we’d have to be looking toward the players taking some sort of voluntary deferral or cut if the situation arose that we had to play more than a quarter of our games under our average capacity of 1400ish.

Perhaps this could be done in combination with another (smaller) fundraising drive from fans but there needs to be something from the playing side - as a fan it would sit better with me that all parties are playing their part under the unique circumstances.

Typically really, we’ve assembled what seems to be a really strong, competitive squad and it might end up being broken up through no fault of our own.
This doesn't sit right with me - unless it's written in players' contracts that the salaries may have to be reviewed and/or they've been explicitly told when signing for the club that there is a risk a pay cut/deferral may be required. DJ alluded to this a while back.

At the end of the day, we've long known there was going to be financial challenges, and it was reasonable to predict back in May that football would resume with limited capacity. Since then we've renewed 14 contracts, signed another 3 players with another (potentially) on the way.

I think pay-cuts or deferrals have to be viewed as a last resort. The risk is that - obviously - you can't enforce them and a lot of our current players can get the same - if not more - money elsewhere. If the players are fully aware & onboard with the idea then great, but my concern is that it could be news to some who have committed to the club.

Darlo_lad

Post by Darlo_lad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:39 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:10 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

You on the other hand are a serial offender. You are frequently nasty to other board members and in doing so spoil this forum.

In this thread the "topic in hand" is about a non-permanent move back to the Arena due to exceptional circumstancesI, about which I wrote "All this talk about running costs and previous bad times are irrelevant to this proposed, temporary move" - this statement is in no way rude to anyone.
Well said. The guy is a keyboard warrior loudmouth who accuses anyone who disagrees with him a Spennymoor fan. Puts a lot of people, me included off this forum.

Darlo_lad

Post by Darlo_lad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:42 pm

Darlo_lad wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:39 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:10 pm
Darlogramps wrote:

Well said. Darlogramps is a keyboard warrior loudmouth who accuses anyone who disagrees with him a Spennymoor fan. Puts a lot of people, me included off this forum.

SwansQuaker83
Team Supported: Swansea (and Darlo of course)

Post by SwansQuaker83 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:49 pm

cbh89f wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm
I think that DMP and any other parties should consider keeping the main stand which incorporates all the facilities ie Bars , boxes , changing etc and modify the other 3 sides to achieve a manageable stadium with a reduced capacity that would still generate non match day income ..
What does that stand hold? It would probably be enough by itself for the NL? Then move the tin shed to make what would be a very odd looking ground 🤣

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:57 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

You’re very rude to other posters. Telling people their views are irrelevant is very rude. Naughty boy theoriginalfatcat - straight to bed without any milk.

As for darlo_lad - you’re not a Darlo fan so I don’t know why you keep pretending you are. If me pushing back on your ridiculous trolling has kept you off the board, then this board is all the better for it. Back off to Brewery Field with you.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:01 pm

From a personal point of view I already decided I will not be attending while restrictions are in place so whether it's at BM or the Arena makes no difference to me. Also from the League's perspective it makes little sense in allowing us to move to a bigger venue thus increasing crowds when the consensus is to reduce them, other clubs may well be within their rights to object as allowing us to play at the arena is in effect allowing us to increase our capacity whilst they've been made to reduce theirs.

It could set a precedent, if I was the chairman of another club I would certainly be demanding an increased capacity there cannot be one standard for Darlington and another for everyone else. That being said there is no guarantee fans will be allowed to return in 7 weeks time also there remains the possibility we will be refused permission anyway so this entire thread could become irrelevant regardless on a side note regardless of the circumstances I would not have even considered going to the Arena but I would not vilify anyone who did.
Last edited by quaker4life on Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:Unbelievable that MP went to Radged in the first place though!
Can say the same for ‘Artlepools as well.

Really does show all that matters is money.

Darlogramps

Ground share

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:20 pm

quaker4life wrote:From a personal point of view I already decided I will not be attending while restrictions are in place so whether it's at BM or the Arena makes no difference to me. Also from the League's perspective it makes little sense in allowing us to move to a bigger venue thus increasing crowds when the consensus is to reduce them, other clubs may well be within their rights to object as allowing us to play at the arena is in effect allowing us to increase our capacity whilst they've been made to reduce theirs.
Don’t agree with this. The consensus isn’t to reduce crowd numbers, it’s to ensure safety.

The league aren’t trying to lower clubs’ attendances. They’re trying to ensure as many as possible can come into a ground as safely as possible.

To me, it’s unarguable that is easier to do at the Arena. There’s more space to ensure social distancing, and it’s easier to control the flow of crowds at the Arena than Blackwell.

If other clubs don’t have that, then that’s tough. Indeed that’s why DJ said what he said about buddying you with EFL clubs who do have bigger grounds.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.