Ground share

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Ground share

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:12 am

quaker4life wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:57 pm
Out of interest (and admittedly severe boredom) I've looked at the NLN Line Up and looked at some of the nearest Premier/Football League grounds to some of the clubs there was some interesting matches!

I apologise in advance for this Darlo_Pete style post and probable lack of accuracy.

AFC Fylde - Bloomfield Road, Blackpool
AFC Telford United - New Meadow, Shrewsbury
Alfreton Town - Field Mill, Mansfield Town
Blyth Spartans - St James' Park, Newcastle
Boston United - London Road, Peterborough
Brackley Town - Sixfields, Northampton
Bradford Park Avenue - Valley Parade, Bradford
Chester - Prenton Park, Tranmere
Chorley - University of Bolton Stadium, Bolton
Curzon Ashton - Boundary Park, Oldham
Farsley Celtic - Valley Parade, Bradford
Gloucester City - Whaddon Road, Cheltenham
Guiseley - Valley Parade, Bradford
Hereford - New Meadow, Shrewsbury
Kettering Town - Sixfields, Northampton
Kidderminster Harriers - Molinuex, Wolverhampton
Leamington - Sixfields, Northampton
Southport - Goodison Park, Everton
Spennymoor Town - St James' Park, Newcastle
York City - Wetherby Road, Harrogate (Are Harrogate Town really in the Football League?!)
Lets give poor old Sixfields a rest and send Leamington to Birmingham @ 29.8 miles instead of Sixfields @ 33.6. Or of course they might try to outdo Cov' city and get a deal for the Ricoh @ only 17.8 miles. (that'd go down well with city fans) :oops: :oops: :oops:

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:16 am

Hate the Arena but these are unprecedented times and if it means we could stage games there and all our fans could attend it could be an excellent solution. If enough fans attend and the experience was enjoyable it could lead to an interesting debate about where our longer term future lies. That might at least give Mr Wilkinson and co something to think about.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:17 am

one negative about playing at The Arena is how many of the 'im not going back there brigade' will it put off and will there be enough extra fans to cover the expected extra financial outlay?

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:41 am

An eminently sensible suggestion for us if the finances stack up, which I'd imagine they do otherwise DJ wouldnt be pushing for it. On the flip side, I can't see how the finances work if we are restriced to 550 season ticket holders (who have already paid) at BM for the forseeable future.

One would hope the authorities show flexibility in these completely unprecedented times. A temporary ground move won't be necessary for some clubs, and it wont be appropriate for others (e.g. those for whom the extra cost wouldn't be offset by the increased capacity), but it's a solution which presumably would help us, and potentially others, survive through this period.

However, the fact DJ has gone public with this suggests to me there's resistance somewhere

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:43 am

Seems a sensible solution, those with Covid worries will be able to go there with plenty of space, it may attract other floating fans who prefer to sit and actually see the match and if successful perhaps sort out our long term ground solution. Not sure what the is pitch like but I’d imagine some work will need to be done to play football.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:45 am

What would happen between us and the Rugby Club if we moved temporarily to the Arena?

Surely they would be wanting some kind of financial sweetener.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:49 am

We would owe them per our contract. They wouldn't be after a sweetener they don't actually get a say in it.

We have a license to play our home games with priority over their games at Blackwell Meadows which we are obliged to pay a few for.

If we choose not to play the game there it is our decision but we still owe them for the license which we would still have an they won't have defaulted.

Fat josh

Post by Fat josh » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:03 am

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:17 am
one negative about playing at The Arena is how many of the 'im not going back there brigade' will it put off and will there be enough extra fans to cover the expected extra financial outlay?
Me and 3 others that I go with won't be attending.
We all want a season ticket refund.
Personally I hope Darlington rugby club sues us for breach of contract.
I'm done fuck this club
King of uncovered

Leader of the true fans against the Arena return resistance movement

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:29 am

Fat josh wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:03 am
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
I'm done fuck this club
nothing like supporting your club - and this is nothing like supporting your club.

Extraordinary times need extra ordinary solutions and whilst playing at the Arena may not be your preferred option, it must surely be better than running at a financial loss and struggling to say in existence.

Whatever the venue they play at it is surely better than not to have a club
Last edited by spen666 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:33 am

Fat josh wrote:
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
I'm done fuck this club
Well each to his own i suppose, i will definitely be going, and i wouldn't even contemplate any sort of refund, yes the rugby club would be entitled to their monies. Love the club, we have a fantastic a chairman and board, brilliant volunteers, and passionate supporters. :thumbup:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:39 am

Must say, and this is simply due to Covid not anything about preference, while I have my season ticket paid for anyway I would be able to go to games at the Arena, while because of breathing issues I would not even consider going to BM in anything like a timeframe of the next 12 months.

Fat Josh wrote, "Me and 3 others that I go with won't be attending.
We all want a season ticket refund."

Simple point, I doubt you could claim any sort of refund as to do so you would need to show the change of venue made it impossible or at least difficult for you to get there, not simply personal dislike of said venue.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:51 am

Fat josh wrote:
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
I'm done fuck this club
We won't be breaching any contract and will have to pay the rugby club regardless.

*IF* we temporarily play at the Arena, no doubt we will have to pay for that too, so our costs will be higher. But it may be viewed as being better than losing the gate income of hundreds of people per match.

We potentially have more ST holders than capacity at BM. If we are told that the capacity is 500 what do we tell the ST holders who we can't fit in?

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:52 am

What a spiteful little thing to say. We're in the middle of the pandemic, people are trying to be creative about this, and you spit your dummy out and say 'Fuck the club'. Bugger off to Spennymoor and support them instead You'd fit in we'll there. We don't want you here.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:58 am

That is a very big whoosh.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:07 am

DJ is spot on with his shrewd suggestion of groundsharing, but no doubt the old guard at FA & EFL HQs will not be able to comprehend that the situation is extraordinary & as such, innovative solutions are required to save the future of many clubs and grass roots soccer.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am

eek wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:42 am
jjljks wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:06 am
Be very interesting to see what comes out of DMP RUFC's extraordinary general meeting to discuss options after the council pulled out of the £20M Sports Village plans. Some members are suspicious that an anonymous benefactor who had effectively taken over the club’s liabilities from the council could make a move to take control of the club at the meeting.
Isn't that meeting tonight?
Yes, it is (Wed) & for DMP members only.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:20 am

Ground share
Unread post by Fat josh » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:03 am

bigdavethemaddog wrote: ↑Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:17 am
I'm done fuck this club

The football club are doing everything possible to get the season underway with as many supporters as it's possible to attend games,
You fat Josh are making waves for no apparent reason other than you detest the arena, that mind boggling statement says it all ,you don't have Darlington FC at heart ,most us who really have the club at heart will do all we can to move the club forward, no matter what circumstances are thrown down, we have to overcome them if at all possible, this would allow games to be played with decent crowds this season, I personally think you need to do the refund through the proper channels,not spout off on this message board.
CREDIT TO THE CLUB BOARD FOR ATTEMPTING TO GET THIS OF THE GROUND.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:30 am

At one point DJ mentioned capacities between 17% and 33% which I assume means 17% (550) with 2m social distancing and 33% if it’s 1m. If so, government advice is that where 2m is not possible then 1m with mitigation i.e. face masks, not standing face to face, is acceptable. So could we make face coverings compulsory and get 33% capacity in (1100ish). Still not ideal but better and surely worth a try.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:55 am

If it costs more than 200 admissions to rent the Arena then BM is still more financial viable. What was it said we average per admission about £8ish so will the rugby club charge less than £1600ish you would assume for DJ to be calling it out the maths stacks up.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:02 pm

I don't want to go back to The Arena however this idea (should it be needed) is good, as It will only be temporary and will allow ALL FANS to attend.

Apart from the money issues that a crowd cap would bring, also there would be an issue regarding the excluded fans.

How are they going to feel? Pissed off :thumbdown:

Would they come back? Some maybe not :thumbdown:

An attendance cap, unless it's within a figure that is reasonable (1400/1550) would turn DFC into a kind of elitist club, only for the "have's" - and not for the "have not's".
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:16 pm

Surely Darlington Rugby Club won't be happy us buggering off to the Arena - is it even legally possible? But we will have to continue to pay our rent to them.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:34 pm

Do you think DJ would have put all the work in had he not done the financial awareness needed to do this properly ,without any doubt I know DJ is sensible and would have done .
He like us is keen to get football going again, he is exploring all Avenues available to do this.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:43 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am
eek wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Be very interesting to see what comes out of DMP RUFC's extraordinary general meeting to discuss options after the council pulled out of the £20M Sports Village plans. Some members are suspicious that an anonymous benefactor who had effectively taken over the club’s liabilities from the council could make a move to take control of the club at the meeting.
The benefactor is not anonymous. His investment so far has been pretty substantial.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:52 pm

Fat josh wrote:
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
I'm done fuck this club
Fat Josh you are a disgrace. If you and your 3 friends want to spit your dummy out you are definitely not supporters so please do go we will be better off without you.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:05 pm

Clue please bga

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm

jjljks wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:12 am
eek wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Do we have a spy who is attending, and let us know whats been said :lol:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm

Apparently the arena is to be demolished to make way for housing and will replaced with a 7,000 capacity stadium for DMP.

Obviously I have no idea how genuine this is but it will be interesting to see what comes out of their EGM.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

bga

Post by bga » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:36 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:05 pm
Clue please bga
DPM is currently a private members club. After their financial situation is discussed at tonight's meeting that may no longer be the case......

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:39 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm
Apparently the arena is to be demolished to make way for housing and will replaced with a 7,000 capacity stadium for DMP.

Obviously I have no idea how genuine this is but it will be interesting to see what comes out of their EGM.
Seems like an ideal stadium size for us ...hint hint
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

bga

Post by bga » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:05 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:22 pm

I thought I heard that the land immediately opposite the Arena (owned by the Council) other side of Neasham Road was going to have houses built on it?
All speculation I guess, but DMP do lease the (6 is it?) rugby pitches behind the main Stadium so you could build a smaller one there.