Attacking options

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: botrash, mikkyx, charlie, uncovered

Post Reply
Piggy_
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 22, 2020 9:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Attacking options

Post by Piggy_ » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:14 am

With Dan Maguire secured for next season, what an array of options AA has now. Campbell, Donowa, Charman, Rivers, Maguire and a fit again Jamie Holmes. Be interesting how he accommodates them all, maybe he goes all Ossie Ardlies and play a front five or six! Should be a few goals in this team that’s for sure next year.

Quakers83
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:40 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:37 am

I think all six will receive ample game time. Technically we have gained three new players in Holmes, Charman and Maguire, however we also lost Thompson who played quite a few games last season.

Last season, at times, we could probably have done with a couple more options going forward. We were too over reliant on Campbell, and between him, Rivers, and Donawa, they could probably have done with a rest at certain points.

It wouldn’t surprise me if AA goes more attacking in certain games than last season too and plays more of a 4-2-3-1 with four of those six being the forward players, rather than the more conventional 4-3-3 with three out-and-out central midfielders.

Piggy_
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri May 22, 2020 9:55 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Piggy_ » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:06 am

It'll be interesting for sure- you'd expect Wheatley and Hatfield to be the two if he does go that way. Guessing Holness wont be part of the squad next season. Still talk of Jack Lambert too.
Despite AA not being a fan of it, maybe being able to make five subs might be of benefit to us with the strength in depth we have up top.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5135
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Attacking options

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:11 am

I’d expect to see a lot of rotation next season. One of the big things is we’ve got the flexibility to change things up.

We can go with a 4-3-3 (my guess is Campbell, Maguire, then one of Rivers/Holmes/Donawa will be 1st choice). There’s 4–2-3-1 which is similar but with a slight difference.

But we can play with two up front (any of Campbell/Maguire/Charman) if necessary, with Rivers/Holmes/Donawa playing out wide.

Having that strength in depth will be crucial, particularly if we get a packed season. We’re already trying to pack the same number of games into a condensed season (starting two months late, but finishing only one month later than usual).

Add in cup runs and postponements and then you get a fixture backlog, so having options and the ability to rotate could make the difference.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker
Posts: 5660
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:51 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by al_quaker » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:25 am

No excuses if we don't score goals next season! Maguire, if he can stay fit, should be a great signing. He can score goals but also lead the line - which will allow Campbell to drop off a bit and run from deep, which I think is where he's at his best too. I would like to see a midfielder with a bit of creativity coming in if budget allows - Wheatly and Hatfield are superb, but we could possibly do with someone a bit like Jack Lambert who can create from a more central position. Possibly getting a bit greedy as I'm not sure how we are going to keep all these players happy as it is :lol:

User avatar
Breedon
Posts: 1840
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:10 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Breedon » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:45 pm

I imagine the starting combo is going to be Campbell and Maguire up front together with Donawa left wing and Rivers right wing. Holmes and Charman will be frequently used subs to start with and will probably need to fight their way into the team but I don't see any of them being disillusioned with a lack of game time.

Hatfield and Wheatley is the obvious central midfield and it seems reasonable to assume from Alun's interviews we'll be starting out at the back with Liddle and Atkinson at fullback, Storey and Hunt at centre back, leaving Charman, Holmes, Reid, Hedley, Watson and Laing (assuming Holness is leaving) as back up, which gives us solid players to cover in every position. We just need to address the goalkeeper situation now and we're all set and looking good for next season!

jjljks
Posts: 1957
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:25 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by jjljks » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:50 am

Could be useful to have a large bench of subs full of potential gamechangers rather than the limited one we had at times last season.

H1987
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by H1987 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:14 am

We have options for sure. We might see 4-3-3 in some games.

He could even opt for a 4-4-2 / 4-2-4 of sorts. Donowa, Campbell, Rivers and Holmes can all play as the wide options in that set up. Charman and Maguire are the more conventional frontmen... you'd assume they've also been told they'll play regularly.

We could be in for some exciting and attacking football next season, whenever it happens :thumbup:

Old Git
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Old Git » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:23 am

Agree with the positive comments about the squad but don’t forget we currently only have 16 players on the books. Add a keeper and another outfield player still only gives us a maximum of 18. If 5 subs are allowed that would mean all bar 2 players could play a part so I would not worry about keeping everyone happy. Remember last season when 2 players were injured in the second game and never played again. We will be operating with a very small squad but fortunately in Reid Atkinson and Hedley we have players who are versatile enough to play in different positions. They will be valuable as the season progresses. Hope we can get started in October as planned.

onewayup
Posts: 1919
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by onewayup » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:38 am

I think versatility is the key word with the squad this season,there are four/five players that can interchange which is crucial for a club like us who really have to be prudent, I believe alun has done a remarkable job assembling the squad we have, I will be happier once the goalkeeper situation is sorted, i can't see us going into next season without a recognised keeper . Hopefully this is sorted soon. A real possibility of top 6 Finnish this year i think .

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2093
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:49 am

onewayup wrote:I think versatility is the key word with the squad this season,there are four/five players that can interchange which is crucial for a club like us who really have to be prudent, I believe alun has done a remarkable job assembling the squad we have, I will be happier once the goalkeeper situation is sorted, i can't see us going into next season without a recognised keeper . Hopefully this is sorted soon. A real possibility of top 6 Finnish this year i think .
AA mentioned in his interview he has had quite a few keepers on the phone who are keen to come and still has his Boro contacts so no problems at all.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Darlopartisan
Posts: 871
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Darlopartisan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:02 pm

onewayup wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:38 am
I think versatility is the key word with the squad this season,there are four/five players that can interchange which is crucial for a club like us who really have to be prudent, I believe alun has done a remarkable job assembling the squad we have, I will be happier once the goalkeeper situation is sorted, i can't see us going into next season without a recognised keeper . Hopefully this is sorted soon. A real possibility of top 6 Finnish this year i think .
It just shows what can be achieved, Altrincham, finished 5th in the league and promoted

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2093
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
onewayup wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:38 am
I think versatility is the key word with the squad this season,there are four/five players that can interchange which is crucial for a club like us who really have to be prudent, I believe alun has done a remarkable job assembling the squad we have, I will be happier once the goalkeeper situation is sorted, i can't see us going into next season without a recognised keeper . Hopefully this is sorted soon. A real possibility of top 6 Finnish this year i think .
It just shows what can be achieved, Altrincham, finished 5th in the league and promoted
If Altrincham can get promoted then why not us.Just shows that you don't have to be bankrolled like York, Brackley and The Pride to get out of this league and this gives a boost to all clubs like ourselves who are sustainable and don't rely on wealthy benefactors and their vanity projects.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


User avatar
D_F_C
Posts: 1814
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:43 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by D_F_C » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Are we allowed 7 on the bench and allowed to use a maximum of 5? Is this definite?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:27 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Vodka_Vic » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 pm

If we've offered Holness terms but He's put them on hold and in the meantime we sign a replacement for him but he comes back and accepts, what is the situation there?

e4sby
Posts: 605
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:16 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by e4sby » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:56 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:If we've offered Holness terms but He's put them on hold and in the meantime we sign a replacement for him but he comes back and accepts, what is the situation there?
Tough fkn s***


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darlo_Pete
Posts: 12962
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:13 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:53 pm
If we've offered Holness terms but He's put them on hold and in the meantime we sign a replacement for him but he comes back and accepts, what is the situation there?
I'd imagine the offer to Holness would be withdrawn if we found a suitable replacement.

lo36789
Posts: 8784
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:58 pm
Team Supported: Darlington
Location: Liverpool

Re: Attacking options

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:11 am

D_F_C wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:10 pm
Are we allowed 7 on the bench and allowed to use a maximum of 5? Is this definite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope.

IFAB have just effectively said that a configuration of subs whereby five are used is allowed in competitive games, as long as only used during no more than three stoppages. It is still for competitions to determine the configuration for their competition which usually means a vote of clubs.

Usually the clubs will just vote for adoption of the standardised rules for the National League System though...slight issue is the FA have yet to release these for the new playing season.
Last edited by lo36789 on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2093
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:14 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:If we've offered Holness terms but He's put them on hold and in the meantime we sign a replacement for him but he comes back and accepts, what is the situation there?
Cannot see AA waiting much longer to see if Omar is offered a deal from another club.He will have his targets and could possibly withdraw the contract offer the club have made.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Darlogramps
Posts: 5135
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:47 am

With Holness, I find it interesting because AA has always said he only wants players here who want to play for the club.

Now while none of us would begrudge Holness an attempt at playing higher up (in fact all power to him for doing so), evidently he’s not that fussed about being at Darlington.

That’s not to say Holness would have a bad attitude or be disruptive if he ended up returning. I’m sure he’d be a professional and would give his all for the squad.

But the wider question is to what extent does he want to be here, and does that meet AA’s requirements regarding desire to play for the club?

My opinion right now is it would be best for all parties if he’s successful in finding a club higher up the system
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2
Posts: 2093
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 am

Darlogramps wrote:With Holness, I find it interesting because AA has always said he only wants players here who want to play for the club.

Now while none of us would begrudge Holness an attempt at playing higher up (in fact all power to him for doing so), evidently he’s not that fussed about being at Darlington.

That’s not to say Holness would have a bad attitude or be disruptive if he ended up returning. I’m sure he’d be a professional and would give his all for the squad.

But the wider question is to what extent does he want to be here, and does that meet AA’s requirements regarding desire to play for the club?

My opinion right now is it would be best for all parties if he’s successful in finding a club higher up the system
Agree Gramps, really cannot see him being here next season, like you say he does not really fit into the criteria AA is looking for.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


Old Git
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:09 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Old Git » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:10 am

Personally I would be surprised to see Holness back in a Darlo shirt. Don’t blame the lad for wanting to break into full time football and I assume he was wanting to use us as a vehicle to do that. It didn’t work out that way so he has decided to look for a new club by obtaining trials and doing it that way. Even if he fails to land a club in this country he could presumably return to the USA and pursue his career their. I seem to remember that at some point last season he went back to USA to renew his green card.

H1987
Posts: 1651
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by H1987 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:39 am

It’s a shame for Omar, he seems like a nice lad and I like him as a footballer. I think he is capable of playing full time football but he’s not quite played regularly enough for us to have gotten clubs further up interested.

I have to say though, this seems a very odd time to try and gamble in the way he has. Many smaller pro-clubs will be nervous about spending money right now. You never know, he might land somewhere in Europe in a smaller league.

I’d happily have him back for next season and he would definitely fit a 4-3-3 nicely in particular... but he will be running out of time on that option. If we sign someone else then clearly the offer will expire. Luckily for him we haven’t done that... yet.

darlo2001uk
Posts: 1313
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:10 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:46 pm

AA had no issues in Atkinson leaving to go and play in Iceland when he was at Blyth.

The difference is, I guess, that Atkinson had a solid offer and Omar is taking his chance.

Harsh to say 'he's not that fussed about being at Darlington'.

Omar wants to try for full-time football and obviously we cannot offer him that. That's different from saying he's not fussed about being with us.

Darlogramps
Posts: 5135
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Attacking options

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:50 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:AA had no issues in Atkinson leaving to go and play in Iceland when he was at Blyth.

The difference is, I guess, that Atkinson had a solid offer and Omar is taking his chance.

Harsh to say 'he's not that fussed about being at Darlington'.

Omar wants to try for full-time football and obviously we cannot offer him that. That's different from saying he's not fussed about being with us.
I disagree, I think that’s exactly the same.

There’s an obvious disconnect between what he wants and what we can offer. Therefore why would he care about playing for us? And if he does play for us, it’s because he’s been unsuccessful about getting a full-time gig.

We always were just a stepping stone for Omar, so let’s not kid ourselves that he’s that bothered about playing for us next season. I’d imagine a couple of years ago he wasn’t aware we existed!

And I don’t have any problem with that either. I like the fact he’s ambitious and wants to better himself. I don’t know, maybe I’m just cynical. But I genuinely hope it works out for him in getting a full time deal.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

User avatar
Spyman
Posts: 11871
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by Spyman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:01 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
darlo2001uk wrote:AA had no issues in Atkinson leaving to go and play in Iceland when he was at Blyth.

The difference is, I guess, that Atkinson had a solid offer and Omar is taking his chance.

Harsh to say 'he's not that fussed about being at Darlington'.

Omar wants to try for full-time football and obviously we cannot offer him that. That's different from saying he's not fussed about being with us.
I disagree, I think that’s exactly the same.

There’s an obvious disconnect between what he wants and what we can offer. Therefore why would he care about playing for us? And if he does play for us, it’s because he’s been unsuccessful about getting a full-time gig.

We always were just a stepping stone for Omar, so let’s not kid ourselves that he’s that bothered about playing for us next season. I’d imagine a couple of years ago he wasn’t aware we existed!

And I don’t have any problem with that either. I like the fact he’s ambitious and wants to better himself. I don’t know, maybe I’m just cynical. But I genuinely hope it works out for him in getting a full time deal.
There's probably a middle-ground. If he has to remain part-time he'd prefer to do it with us rather than another similar club.

Not that I'm saying that's the case either. Could be though. I'm here all night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

biccynana
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:38 am
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Attacking options

Post by biccynana » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:13 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:01 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
darlo2001uk wrote:AA had no issues in Atkinson leaving to go and play in Iceland when he was at Blyth.

The difference is, I guess, that Atkinson had a solid offer and Omar is taking his chance.

Harsh to say 'he's not that fussed about being at Darlington'.

Omar wants to try for full-time football and obviously we cannot offer him that. That's different from saying he's not fussed about being with us.
I disagree, I think that’s exactly the same.

There’s an obvious disconnect between what he wants and what we can offer. Therefore why would he care about playing for us? And if he does play for us, it’s because he’s been unsuccessful about getting a full-time gig.

We always were just a stepping stone for Omar, so let’s not kid ourselves that he’s that bothered about playing for us next season. I’d imagine a couple of years ago he wasn’t aware we existed!

And I don’t have any problem with that either. I like the fact he’s ambitious and wants to better himself. I don’t know, maybe I’m just cynical. But I genuinely hope it works out for him in getting a full time deal.
There's probably a middle-ground. If he has to remain part-time he'd prefer to do it with us rather than another similar club.

Not that I'm saying that's the case either. Could be though. I'm here all night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
You are Indecisive Dave and I claim my prize ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmTahAali90

Post Reply