October 3rd

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

lo36789
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: October 3rd

Post by lo36789 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:09 am

"The article is incorrect it isn't an exemption it is just the new structure" would have sufficed like.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:22 am

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:09 am
"The article is incorrect it isn't an exemption it is just the new structure" would have sufficed like.
Try telling the FA its not an exemption

It is of course an exemption, because all NLN & NLS clubs do not have to play in the qualifying rounds or the 1st round proper. You could say that they are exempt from playing in those rounds.

The fact all NLN & NLS clubs get the same exemption does not mean it is not an exemption.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:54 am

al_quaker wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:21 am
On the subject of the new season, I see we're entering next seasons FA Trophy at the second round (https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/quakers ... -fa-trophy). Not entirely sure why!

In worse news, FA cup prize money has been halved. So, as our opening game of the season is schedule to be FA Cup 2QR, and may well be behind closed doors or vastly reduced crowds. A money spinner...
probably not a bad thing to get drawn away to a lower league side each round to save on expenses

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:02 pm

getting drawn away in each round to a lower league side would cost us money in expenses with travelling as I`m sure the prize money if we won would not be much especially with no gate money as well

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:59 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:02 pm
getting drawn away in each round to a lower league side would cost us money in expenses with travelling as I`m sure the prize money if we won would not be much especially with no gate money as well
Not so. The home side pays the expenses of the away side before costs and only after officials are paid.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:36 pm

darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:02 pm
would be better than paying expenses for refs, stewards, catering and any other extras even if BCD. Obviously need to win those away games though

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm

How can the home side pay expenses when they will not get any money from tie they would just forfeit it if they had any sense

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:56 pm

Slightly off topic I know but just been rumaging through my programme collection and speaking of October 3rd it was on this date in 1978 42 years ago Darlington FC had a magical night out at goodison park to play Everton in a league cup 3rd round game. I remember it like yesterday they'd smashed Wimbledon 8 0 in the previous round and were expected to give us the same treatment yet only beat us 1 0 and if Jimmy seal hadn't missed two open goals one of the greatest nights in our history could have been better still.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:08 pm

Mister e wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:56 pm
Slightly off topic I know but just been rumaging through my programme collection and speaking of October 3rd it was on this date in 1978 42 years ago Darlington FC had a magical night out at goodison park to play Everton in a league cup 3rd round game. I remember it like yesterday they'd smashed Wimbledon 8 0 in the previous round and were expected to give us the same treatment yet only beat us 1 0 and if Jimmy seal hadn't missed two open goals one of the greatest nights in our history could have been better still.
Remember it well we were excellent that night and could easily have pulled off a shock result. It was well before the days when top sides made wholesale changes for cup matches and I am pretty sure Everton fielded a strong team that night. I remember the Everton manager was Gordon Lee and he was very complementary about our performance and admitted that we gave them a real fright. On a less welcome note we were pelted with stones and bottles on our way back to our buses after the game.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:58 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:08 pm
Mister e wrote:
Remember it well we were excellent that night and could easily have pulled off a shock result. It was well before the days when top sides made wholesale changes for cup matches and I am pretty sure Everton fielded a strong team that night. I remember the Everton manager was Gordon Lee and he was very complementary about our performance and admitted that we gave them a real fright. On a less welcome note we were pelted with stones and bottles on our way back to our buses after the game.
Yep it only seems like yesterday to me as well. I remember we had about 40 coaches at the game & we parked in a road through a park. We were so unlucky Clive Natress causing chaos down the wing. I'll always remember at halftime 2 Everton fans were chatting & they thought that Everton were the away team & Darlo must be the home team due to the number of Darlo fans at the game!! Also after the game the Everton fans gathered to have a go at the Darlo fans until they realised how many of us were at the game. A great night.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:37 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:58 pm
Old Git wrote:
Mister e wrote:
Yep it only seems like yesterday to me as well. I remember we had about 40 coaches at the game & we parked in a road through a park. We were so unlucky Clive Natress causing chaos down the wing. I'll always remember at halftime 2 Everton fans were chatting & they thought that Everton were the away team & Darlo must be the home team due to the number of Darlo fans at the game!! Also after the game the Everton fans gathered to have a go at the Darlo fans until they realised how many of us were at the game. A great night.
Yes, I was there too.
I think Bob Latchford scored.

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:42 am

wizardofos wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:37 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:58 pm
Old Git wrote:
Mister e wrote:
Yes, I was there too.
I think Bob Latchford scored.
Google says it was Martin Dobson, although Latchford played. It's a long time ago!

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:39 am

darlo reborn wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:30 pm
How can the home side pay expenses when they will not get any money from tie they would just forfeit it if they had any sense
The charm of the cup.
Remember that clubs have to apply, and pay to play in the cup in January for the following season. We had no idea of Covid 19 in January so any club would be expecting a crowd of some sort.
This would normally not be such a big risk unless you hit a draw where the away team decided on an overnight stay, which is why the early rounds are regionalised to diminish the possibility.
Somewhere in the back of my mind I think there is a cut off date for withdrawal and doing so afterwards incurs penalties. Again, as in the early days we had no idea how long the pandemic would last so perhaps the cut off date passed before people realised the implications of staying in the cup and rather than take a fine they hope to get the winners prize to pay the costs. (Just mussing about the possibilities, not knowledge).

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:05 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:39 am
Not actually sure how it works if gate receipts don't even cover expenses.

I always thought it was total gate minus expenses and then what is left is shared between the clubs. I don't know who's expenses get priority when the actually receipts don't cover them. I assume there must be a process for it.

There has been a suggestions that if the games can't be played the FA stance is that the show must go on. They must play their final this season come what may (...or July). If rounds cannot be played on the dates determined then the round will be effectively voided and the competition will start from the next scheduled round and clubs will be eliminated using a draw from a hat.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:19 am

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:05 am
EDJOHNS wrote:

I always thought it was total gate minus expenses and then what is left is shared between the clubs. I don't know who's expenses get priority when the actually receipts don't cover them. I assume there must be a process for it.

There has been a suggestions that if the games can't be played the FA stance is that the show must go on. They must play their final this season come what may (...or July). If rounds cannot be played on the dates determined then the round will be effectively voided and the competition will start from the next scheduled round and clubs will be eliminated using a draw from a hat.

The Referee I presume!

You are right, its gate receipts less expenses that are shared. I am guessing that if games are behind closed doors, no teams will be entitled to any expenses. IE away team will have to meet their own travel expenses. Possibly home team having to pay referee ( not sure) and home team responsible for rent/ lights etc.

Its a good thing that at earliest stages the ties are local, but by time NLN & NLS are involved there could be some expensive trips if not getting travel expenses.

Presumably if say away team can't afford to cover their own travel expenses then home team get a bye - same as if home team can't afford cost of renting ground ( if pay by the game)

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:24 pm

lo36789 wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:

I didn't say that I responded to it !! :D :D

The ref and lino's get first dibs on the income from the game, then "Matchday expenses such as floodlighting and the away sides expenses. After that we get to the point that the Know FA get their 5% and the clubs split the rest. (That used to be 10% for the Know FA but was changed a few years ago for the early matches as many had no profit.
It may sound rather mean, but the home clubs are responsible for the expenses of putting the game on. If they lose money it is in effect tough Sh27t. As I said, the hope at this point must be that they win the game and the prize is at least equal to the costs.

Once again it has to be remembered that clubs signed up pre Covid, and I have seen nothing from the FA about them slackening off the rule about closing date to withdraw. (For my sins I have opted in to all info emails from the Know FA not just ticketing ones).

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:26 pm

spen666 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:19 am
lo36789 wrote:
EDJOHNS wrote:

The Referee I presume!

You are right, its gate receipts less expenses that are shared. I am guessing that if games are behind closed doors, no teams will be entitled to any expenses. IE away team will have to meet their own travel expenses. Possibly home team having to pay referee ( not sure) and home team responsible for rent/ lights etc.

Its a good thing that at earliest stages the ties are local, but by time NLN & NLS are involved there could be some expensive trips if not getting travel expenses.

Presumably if say away team can't afford to cover their own travel expenses then home team get a bye - same as if home team can't afford cost of renting ground ( if pay by the game)
To do as you say and void the expenses rules there would have to be a rule change. I am 100% sure that no such change has been made to this point

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:47 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:26 pm
To do as you say and void the expenses rules there would have to be a rule change. I am 100% sure that no such change has been made to this point
I didn't think it is written that the home team must simply pay the expenses incurred by the away team. It is that the away club is reimbursed for expenses from the proceeds of the match.

The same goes for the home team. Traditionally they would incur the match officials, lighting, stewarding expenses and then would be reimbursed from the "pot" (income from the game).

This stuff must be written in the rules mind there must be games, especially in the Sunday National Cup, where the proceeds of the game don't cover the costs incurred. I mean they are meant to charge £2 for entry but I just walk into the ones round ours and nobody ever challenges you. There is no way that they manage to get back the referees fees never mind floodlights and away team travel.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:46 pm

The FA rules for a previous season state in Rule 22
In cases where the gate receipts are not sufficient to cover the entire expenses of the match, the deficit shall be shared by the two competing Clubs.
In rule 23 - what are classed as expenses are detailed - the cost of staging the game, floodlights, travel etc are all expenses and would therefore be shared between the 2 clubs if no fans allowed.

There are strict rules on when you can apply to FA for permission to charge an overnight stay as an expense

http://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom-n ... 19-20.ashx