Jordan Burrow & Macauley Langstaff

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Nimrod
Team Supported: Darlington

Post by Nimrod » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:52 pm

Strikers who may be on the way out of York - would we want either of them?

QUAKERMAN2

Re: Jordan Burrow & Macauley Langstaff

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Nimrod wrote:Strikers who may be on the way out of York - would we want either of them?
Don't think AA would be interested in Burrow but Langstaff yes.Watson was quite critical of his strikers so just wonder if Maguire is not in his plans

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:18 am

Reading the comments in York Press, Watson blamed lack of goals for City's failure not only in the playoffs but during the season, so not really the sort of strikers we need either. York fans seem gutted about staying in NLN for 4th season, unhappy about moving to Monk's Cross, moaning about full-timers not showing enough spirit & at least one mentions giving up his season ticket. I think YCFC is getting close to meltdown & radical changes ahead.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:20 am

jjljks wrote:Reading the comments in York Press, Watson blamed lack of goals for City's failure not only in the playoffs but during the season, so not really the sort of strikers we need either. York fans seem gutted about staying in NLN for 4th season, unhappy about moving to Monk's Cross, moaning about full-timers not showing enough spirit & at least one mentions giving up his season ticket. I think YCFC is getting close to meltdown & radical changes ahead.
Cannot see McGill funding them to the level he has previously.4th season in the NLN on a full time model must take its toll eventually so will be interesting to see what unfolds there.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am

I have mixed feelings about York.

On one hand some of their fans have a massive chip on their shoulder - they think playing that "part time" teams is beneath them, and also I disliked the way that Martin Gray was tapped up, but leaving that to one side they have suffered from bad luck (like us) in recent times.

Speaking of Martin Gray, if he'd had still been at the helm he would have bullied Mcgill into giving more £ and brought in some extra fire power - or maybe lockdown scuppered that option...
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:08 am

McGills sold bootham crescent taken the council offer monks cross, which the fans did not want, and has said he will not fund to the previous level, so looking like downwards spiral from here, much the same as Reynolds did for Darlington.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:13 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:51 am

On one hand some of their fans have a massive chip on their shoulder - they think playing that "part time" teams is beneath them, and also I disliked the way that Martin Gray was tapped up, but leaving that to one side they have suffered from bad luck (like us) in recent times.

Speaking of Martin Gray, if he'd had still been at the helm he would have bullied Mcgill into giving more £ and brought in some extra fire power - or maybe lockdown scuppered that option...
Gray wasn’t tapped up.

The rest of your post is also nonsense.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:10 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:13 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Gray wasn’t tapped up.

Really??? What a fantastic coincidence, Gray resigns from his job with us and within hours he becomes the new Y.C.F.C manager with everything all sorted out re his contract etc - all without any previous input or contact from either side, quite incredible!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:22 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:10 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:13 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Gray wasn’t tapped up.

Really??? What a fantastic coincidence, Gray resigns from his job with us and within hours he becomes the new Y.C.F.C manager with everything all sorted out re his contract etc - all without any previous input or contact from either side, quite incredible!
DJ knew what was happening.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:25 am

Yes, D.J knew that he'd been "tapped up".
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:31 am

I think I’ll repeat it again if you didn’t hear me - the process was done above board.

Besides, this was almost 3 years ago. I’d seriously be letting it go by now even if that was your opinion.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:40 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I have mixed feelings about York.

Crikey - if anyone wants to see what an obsession looks like, this it.

Why are you even bringing Gray into this? There’s no reason to bring him up at all, unless you’ve got a weird obsession.

And I find it hard to dislike York for something which happened nearly three years ago, particularly when MG has long since left York.

Seems you’re wholly incapable of moving on from that episode. Let it go.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:49 am

Let’s be honest Gray was tapped up in a sense that most managers/players are tapped up, and to think we don’t do it is crazy. A little conversation here and there will happen quite often before any approach.

Gray was finished at Darlo, we had run out of money and needed to sell assets and Gray was out of ideas at that point. The best thing was for us to go our separate ways.

I don’t hold that against Gray really, we had just managed to get ourselves in a mess off the field, some of that was down to him but not most. He was allowed to spend the money but spent it badly in that summer of Raj discontent.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:08 am

I mentioned Gray because the topic had moved to York city F.C.

Martin Gray did a lot of good for Darlo especially in the early years and to mention him in this this thread is by no way "obsessive" - we can all talk about past events, there's nothing wrong with that.

If another club wants a contracted player or manager to join them, this is okay, but there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:41 am

There is zero chance that Gray wasn't aware that York wanted him before DFC were approached to ask if they could have Gray.

That is tapping up by definition but as Les says pretty much in the same way that probably every single transfer in football happens.

Every player gets asked "would you join us" before a club bothers to negotiate a transfer with the club.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:48 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I mentioned Gray because the topic had moved to York city F.C.

Martin Gray did a lot of good for Darlo especially in the early years and to mention him in this this thread is by no way "obsessive" - we can all talk about past events, there's nothing wrong with that.

If another club wants a contracted player or manager to join them, this is okay, but there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things.
Very tenuous link, Gray left York two years ago. In the context of the thread, there was no real reason to all of a sudden bring him up with a hypothetical scenario.

Plus you do talk about York a lot, and were particularly vocal about Gray leaving when it happened and in the weeks, months and years that followed.

And that, combined with using something that happened three years ago as justification for disliking York, is obsessive.

Like I say, let it go and you’ll feel much happier.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:08 pm

Didn’t watch the game but I saw a lot of their fans on social media complaining of a lack of fitness and overweight players.

Sort of ridiculous considering they’re full time. I’m not sure if the above two are culprits. Either way, I’m glad they’re still in our league. Hopefully the season is delayed a bit so we can go to games again. Im sure it’ll be nothing on Bootham but I’ll still relish a York away day.

Quite happy Gateshead are staying down too.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:52 pm

That's if you can find somewhere to park at monks cross.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:00 pm

Think I’d be tempted with any one of burrow or langstaff. Both were trouble when they played us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:37 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:48 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:I mentioned Gray because the topic had moved to York city F.C.

Very tenuous link, Gray left York two years ago. In the context of the thread, there was no real reason to all of a sudden bring him up with a hypothetical scenario.

Plus you do talk about York a lot, and were particularly vocal about Gray leaving when it happened and in the weeks, months and years that followed.

And that, combined with using something that happened three years ago as justification for disliking York, is obsessive.

To be called “obsessive” by you is really quite funny, and I don’t need you to tell me what I can and can’t discuss - on a thread about York City. I go to watch York about 5 or 6 times a year and don’t dislike them, although I don’t like how they managed the Gray episode, if that’s alright with you?

You patrol this site like you think you’re some kind of superior being, trying to control what people write - put a sock in it.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:05 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:48 am

To be called “obsessive” by you is really quite funny, and I don’t need you to tell me what I can and can’t discuss - on a thread about York City. I go to watch York about 5 or 6 times a year and don’t dislike them, although I don’t like how they managed the Gray episode, if that’s alright with you?

You patrol this site like you think you’re some kind of superior being, trying to control what people write - put a sock in it.
Seems I’ve struck a nerve here.

You’re free to write what you like but it doesn’t mean people can’t challenge or critique your comments. And I’m more than entitled to have an opinion on your opinions. So this hissy fit you’re having is all a bit over the top.

That’s not an attempt at controlling anything, (that’s a thin-skinned overreaction on your part). I’m just doing what I’m entitled to do.

I just find it strange you constantly bring up York and Martin Gray, even when there’s no need to. Like this thread for example. Clearly you haven’t got over what happened three years ago. Let it go.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:18 pm

D_F_C wrote:Think I’d be tempted with any one of burrow or langstaff. Both were trouble when they played us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d say Langstaff is more of an Armstrong signing.

Not entirely sure Burrow would fit our style, plus Charman gives us the physical presence we were missing.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Armstrong go in for Langstaff though.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Watson said in his post-match interview on Saturday that he has “8 or 9 players” contracted for another year, but then goes on to state that only “2 goalkeepers & a midfielder” have signed as they stand.

Not too sure that entirely makes sense if I am honest. I can only presume they have 3 players definitely contracted for next year with the remaining 5 or 6 with options in their contracts.

Be interesting to see what their release list looks like.