The Northern Echo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

The Northern Echo

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:56 pm

Looks like big cuts to their sports department, including Craig Stoddart’s deputy sports editor position being made redundant.

“The cuts in the North East of England fall in different sites. In Darlington the company intends to axe one chief football writer, one deputy sports editor, one Teesside editor and one lifestyle features writer. Alongside these cuts there will be one new role created entitled head of sport.”

https://www.nuj.org.uk/news/substantial ... newsquest/
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Footifanreturns

Re: The Northern Echo

Post by Footifanreturns » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Maybe he can reapply for the newly created Head of Sport which seems to be an amalgamation of the Football & Sports .
I guess between him & Loughlin.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:54 pm

The heart breaking thing about these job losses is that they all have a knock on effect. whether you love or loathe the northern echo it is nice to have a local newspaper to be able to report on your club. Although I preferred it back in the days before social media when we had the pink despatch and that little Quaker lad smiling on the front page every time we won.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:22 am

I enjoy reading Stoddart's pieces on us. Don't have like a small amount of other echo articles but a lot better than those red rags that constantly provide you with trash

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:02 am

Sadly the whole newspaper industry is in terminal decline. A natural casualty of the internet age along with town centre shopping and many other institutions that once thrived. I will miss the local news that they report on but it is so easy to access news and up to date information now that the reason for their existence is no longer valid. Good magazines and periodicals will survive to provide information and viewpoints but its hard to imagine daily newspapers being around in years to come.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:49 am

True been in decline for a number of years due to the internet,,people aren't buying news from papers through the net.. so incomes decline job losses follow.
It is a shame but that's life things move on ,
I liked the pink with football score,s and all racing results
available Saturday evening.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:15 pm

I remember having to leave the match early to run to the newsagents to deliver the pink wish I was as fit nowadays