Who will follow Wigan Athletic into administration?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Who will follow Wigan Athletic into administration?

Post by jjljks » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:18 pm

Sadly, Wigan probably won't be the only club to go into administration before the end of this season. I think they could be the first of many, not just due to Covid19 but also some blame can be attached to EFL who allowed Dave Whelan to sell the club to Hong Kong-based International Entertainment Corporation in November 2018 and there was a further change of ownership in May when Next Leader Fund took control. How did these people fulfil the 'fit & proper owners' test as applied by the EFL?
Just glad we are now fans owned and don't have to rely on some wide boys who are looking to strip assets in search of a quick buck.

Mister e

Re: Who will follow Wigan Athletic into administration?

Post by Mister e » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 pm

I reckon Hartlepool won't be too far from being in the mire. Macclesfield town probably a certainty to fall by the wayside. In our league I'll be surprised to see the likes of Alfreton town to continue if we can't get going again soon with their very small fan base.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:37 pm

Mister e wrote:I reckon Hartlepool won't be too far from being in the mire. Macclesfield town probably a certainty to fall by the wayside. In our league I'll be surprised to see the likes of Alfreton town to continue if we can't get going again soon with their very small fan base.
Alfreton have a rich owner so they will be fine as for Artlepool they will be ok plenty of there fans will chip in and save them don't forget our Jeff has plenty contacts so he won't let them die

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:59 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:37 pm
Mister e wrote:I reckon Hartlepool won't be too far from being in the mire. Macclesfield town probably a certainty to fall by the wayside. In our league I'll be surprised to see the likes of Alfreton town to continue if we can't get going again soon with their very small fan base.
Alfreton have a rich owner so they will be fine as for Artlepool they will be ok plenty of there fans will chip in and save them don't forget our Jeff has plenty on contacts so he won't let them die

Harry, I know it is a different sport but Neil Hudgell the Hull KR owner is a very very rich solicitor with various other interests and even he is saying that times are hard and the club are in danger.(He has owned the club for 18 years and took us out of admin and pumped in a pile of money over that time to get us into Superleague and keep us there.).
If he is feeling the pinch I am sure the Alfreton owner and others must be as well.
This is what he told us just yesterday.

https://www.hullkr.co.uk/july-update-for-2020-members/

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:43 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:59 am
HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:37 pm
Alfreton have a rich owner so they will be fine as for Artlepool they will be ok plenty of there fans will chip in and save them don't forget our Jeff has plenty on contacts so he won't let them die

Harry, I know it is a different sport but Neil Hudgell the Hull KR owner is a very very rich solicitor with various other interests and even he is saying that times are hard and the club are in danger.(He has owned the club for 18 years and took us out of admin and pumped in a pile of money over that time to get us into Superleague and keep us there.).
If he is feeling the pinch I am sure the Alfreton owner and others must be as well.
This is what he told us just yesterday.

https://www.hullkr.co.uk/july-update-for-2020-members/
I think whether a clubs benefactor is feeling the pinch or not, depends on various factors. How committed the benefactor is to the club. How wealthy the benefactor is. How much the benefactor is affected by the current Coronavirus epidemic. Someone like Singh I would say is affected by all 3 factors, so I'd say that must be a worry for poolie going forward.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:30 am

I think with Wigan it's more a case of cowboy owners and as it stands I don't expect a surge of club's going into administration particularly in the Championship just yet but nevertheless it is as sad as it is worrying.

I fear more for clubs in League 1 and downwards, a few exceptions aside as long as supporters are not allowed to enter stadiums it's difficult to see a way forward. Attempting to resume in the current circumstances would amount to financial suicide if I recall rightly Accrington's chairman said that if they were made to complete the season behind closed doors it would more or less send them under and no doubt that would be the case for many others.

I've seen suggestions on here of a September/October restart in the National League and as it stands I think that is fanciful.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:05 pm

Have a read of this Twitter thread about Wigan, horrendous if correct

https://twitter.com/marksparko/status/1 ... 36163?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:47 pm

Absolutely bloody scandalous Pete and another pointer into why more and more clubs should follow our lead and become fan owned. At least under our system every pound is accounted for and it stops chancers like these asset stropping football clubs. Wigan athletic are going to be very lucky to survive this dreadful scam.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:32 pm

Looks like the Wigan fiasco is a lot more complicated than Chinese asset strippers. Makes the EFL and its "fit & proper" tests for owners look pathetic. The EFL penalty of a 12 point reduction is actually helping the scammers who probably have a massive bet on that Wigan get relegated. Surely a matter for Interpol & UK's National Crime Agency, never mind FIFA / FA / EFL

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:11 am

Did anyone else see the EFL chairman being secretly recorded talking about a bet being placed in the Philippines about Wigan being relegated.

Absolute madness.

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:30 am

Above all, it shows there are no guarantees when a club is privately owned and how and when that club is disposed of. Loading the club with debt is another feature of terrible financial mis-management

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:39 am

jjljks wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:32 pm
Looks like the Wigan fiasco is a lot more complicated than Chinese asset strippers. Makes the EFL and its "fit & proper" tests for owners look pathetic. The EFL penalty of a 12 point reduction is actually helping the scammers who probably have a massive bet on that Wigan get relegated. Surely a matter for Interpol & UK's National Crime Agency, never mind FIFA / FA / EFL
The F.A.
Either totally ineffective or
been scammed.

This makes some of our recent chairman seem good.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:38 am

A couple of articles from The Guardian's David Conn. This is turning out to be very murky and probably not much to do with coronavirus and more to do with making a killing on share prices

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... estigation

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... se-of-club

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 am

I can't understand it, it's crazy - however I can't help thinking (in a naive way) that if it turns out to be one big scam involving people and money that may or may not exist then why can't it be nullified. All the assets are here in this country after all...
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

spen666

Post by spen666 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:48 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 am
I can't understand it, it's crazy - however I can't help thinking (in a naive way) that if it turns out to be one big scam involving people and money that may or may not exist then why can't it be nullified. All the assets are here in this country after all...
It's bizarre, that is for certain.

How do you nullify "it"? What are you nullifying? What does this leave?

As I understand it, the current/ last owner is connected/intertwined with previous owner.

The previous owner got paid for the club back in 2018.

So if you nullify it, who owns club? What about it's debts to 3rd parties? Could supporters trust run it?

It's all a mess and seems very dodgy

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:34 pm

The German 50+ rule would stop all the worst of these dodgy deals.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:10 pm

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/footba ... on-2906602

Wigan's owner gives a statement, basically says it's due to Covid and lack of income even though he only bought the club a month ago. Something still doesn't smell right.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:43 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:10 pm

Wigan's owner gives a statement, basically says it's due to Covid and lack of income even though he only bought the club a month ago. Something still doesn't smell right.
Yes not very smart to buy a Club at that point in time!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm

Au Yeung, tried forcing the club’s UK-based directors to accept responsibility for a £24 million loan used to repay Choi. When the directors refused, Yeung attempted to liquidate the club, before placing it in administration. Obviously he would try any way to strip money out of the club without any regard for club or fans. The EFL must also share in the responsibility for the mess & ditch the useless "fit & proper owner" test as it does not work. Best of luck to the faithful fans who have raised cash to keep the team playing until the end of this season.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:59 pm

QuakerPete wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:10 pm

I was reading about this in one of the quality papers and it said that Wigan's administration was definitely nothing to do with Covid.

Covid will undoubtably cause many financial issues but not all, and particularly not all in football - where numerous clubs have been sailing too close to the wind for years.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:25 am

At last the football league have rejected the excuse from the Wigan athletic chairman and local labour MP Lisa nandy looks as though she has forced a full public enquiry. Let's all hope and pray for once an unscrupulous owner gets his fingers burned.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm
Au Yeung, tried forcing the club’s UK-based directors to accept responsibility for a £24 million loan used to repay Choi. When the directors refused, Yeung attempted to liquidate the club, before placing it in administration. Obviously he would try any way to strip money out of the club without any regard for club or fans. The EFL must also share in the responsibility for the mess & ditch the useless "fit & proper owner" test as it does not work. Best of luck to the faithful fans who have raised cash to keep the team playing until the end of this season.
Jeff Stelling ripped into the know FA last night about this saying they must accept a lot of the responsibility and they must overturn the 12 points penalty.
I have never seen him so animated and angry

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:51 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:01 pm
Jeff Stelling ripped into the know FA last night about this saying they must accept a lot of the responsibility and they must overturn the 12 points penalty.
I have never seen him so animated and angry
And they will anything for Saint Jeff

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:15 am

You ain't seen nothing yet, wait till rag string pulls the plug, then st Jeff will go ballistic. Losing money not rag string he will arrest it by administration.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:46 pm

onewayup wrote:You ain't seen nothing yet, wait till rag string pulls the plug, then st Jeff will go ballistic. Losing money not rag string he will arrest it by administration.
He won't pull the plug that's only wishful thinking , He is in it for the long haul with him and St Jeff the world is there oyster or is that lobsterImage

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:57 pm

What’s happening to Wigan is a disgrace. This is going to roll on and on.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:08 pm

Their not there. As in seeing, not seen and being, not been. My English teacher would be so upset.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:46 am

'"The Championship is a financial nonsense. We've got clubs spending 107% of their income on wages, we've got the major distortion of parachute payments, we've got £400m of owner-funding required - £16m per Championship club. There are owners gambling on getting into the Premier League, it's unsustainable.'

You wouldn't think this quote comes from the man in charge of the Championship!!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:57 pm

Got to admire the Wigan spirit, fans & players in the face of adversity. Thrashing Hull would have been even sweeter if the fans had been able to see it at their stadium.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 pm

In answer to the question in the title, my money's on Kings Lynn Town eventually. Surely no-one's going to pay £500 for a season ticket in the nice seats (concessions and everyone else) ... and they originally announced it as £575 before trimming the crazy figure. Does that dodgy owner think they've won a place in the Premier League :shock: