Who will follow Wigan Athletic into administration?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Who will follow Wigan Athletic into administration?

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:28 am

For crying out loud, don't pick on the FA cup any more !!!!
What has always been considered the best cup competition worldwide has become a damp squib as it is.
Take away the chances of winning a decent few bob and even Championship clubs will only use it to play kids and reserves.
I agree that there should be more cash whittled down the system, but NOT at the cost of the final death nell for a competition so steeped in history.
Sadly the cup has gone backwards ever since they abolished the Cup Winners Cup. Lets not help it on its way to the grave.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:10 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:28 am
What has always been considered the best cup competition worldwide has become a damp squib as it is.
Take away the chances of winning a decent few bob and even Championship clubs will only use it to play kids and reserves.
I agree that there should be more cash whittled down the system, but NOT at the cost of the final death nell for a competition so steeped in history.
Sadly the cup has gone backwards ever since they abolished the Cup Winners Cup. Lets not help it on its way to the grave.

I would give 4th Champions League spot to FA Cup Winners.

The prize money for finishing 1 place higher in Premier League outweighs prize money in FA Cup, so it can't compete now ...need to think outside the box.

Win only 6 games and get into the Champions League is a huge incentive to any Championship or Premier League clubs

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:20 am

I see that the Wigan administrator has said that if a deal isn't done by the end of August, they will leave the FL.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53772484

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:44 am

spen666 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:02 am

Would you be happy to have all your earnings shared with the local druggie or dosser?
Like Brad does at Spenny you mean? :lol:

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:17 pm

spen666 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:10 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:28 am

I would give 4th Champions League spot to FA Cup Winners.

The prize money for finishing 1 place higher in Premier League outweighs prize money in FA Cup, so it can't compete now ...need to think outside the box.

Win only 6 games and get into the Champions League is a huge incentive to any Championship or Premier League clubs
I had some of my best football memories with WHU in the Cup winners cup. A great competition that should be brought back. At least you had to win something to get into it rather than finish just above half way in the league as now to get into the Europa league. Even that holds no kudos as did the ICFC that Newcastle won
Sadly, as we all know, it is all about making the rich richer.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:33 am

Macclesfield Town relegated into National League despite appeal to EFL, following 6pt deduction over irregular player payments. Not due to administration, but possibly indicator that the new salary cap will be more strictly enforced in future.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:14 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:33 am
Macclesfield Town relegated into National League despite appeal to EFL, following 6pt deduction over irregular player payments. Not due to administration, but possibly indicator that the new salary cap will be more strictly enforced in future.
Not sure you can make that conclusion.

This was their 5th charge for failing to pay staff & each time they had points deducted (some suspended). This would have happened salary cap or not

That said, I hope EFL do properly & robustly enforce salary caps