Alan Walsh

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Footifanreturns
Team Supported: Darlington

Alan Walsh

Post by Footifanreturns » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:26 am

It has been interesting to hear from Alan about his time at Darlo, especially his transfer to Bristol City.
Allegedly Darlo turning down offers of 30 - 50 k , then ending up losing him in a tribunal for 18k.
It seems the fact that we had not renegotiated a new contract with him, allowed Terry Cooper & Bristol City to use the Tribunal system of the day to get him on the cheap.

What a player Alan was, certainly one of the best players to pull on a Darlo shirt in my time supporting the club.
Considering he scored the bulk of his goals in very poor Darlo teams that had to apply for re-election in his first two season, his highest finish being 8th with a couple of mid tables.
To become the record goal scorer especially as 87 were in the Football League & assume the other 13 in FA & League Cups took some doing.

Taking nothing away from Tommo scoring his 100, for me Alan's was more of an achievement, I am quietly happy they finished on the same number.

Of course Alan Walsh went on to win the Turkish Super League with Besiktas.
The only downside to his career were his 4 games for the Chokers at the end of his career.

I suppose Terry Cooper made it up to us by fathering Mark.. At least he gave us something back lol

EDJOHNS

Re: Alan Walsh

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:36 am

Footifanreturns wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:26 am
It has been interesting to hear from Alan about his time at Darlo, especially his transfer to Bristol City.
Allegedly Darlo turning down offers of 30 - 50 k , then ending up losing him in a tribunal for 18k.
It seems the fact that we had not renegotiated a new contract with him, allowed Terry Cooper & Bristol City to use the Tribunal system of the day to get him on the cheap.

What a player Alan was, certainly one of the best players to pull on a Darlo shirt in my time supporting the club.
Considering he scored the bulk of his goals in very poor Darlo teams that had to apply for re-election in his first two season, his highest finish being 8th with a couple of mid tables.
To become the record goal scorer especially as 87 were in the Football League & assume the other 13 in FA & League Cups took some doing.

Taking nothing away from Tommo scoring his 100, for me Alan's was more of an achievement, I am quietly happy they finished on the same number.

Of course Alan Walsh went on to win the Turkish Super League with Besiktas.
The only downside to his career were his 4 games for the Chokers at the end of his career.

I suppose Terry Cooper made it up to us by fathering Mark.. At least he gave us something back lol
Was Alan not on his way down to talk to Plymouth when he met Cooper on the train, and was talked into going to City while on that journey?
It is funny that we had such poor sides during that period because we had some cracking players in that same period.

Footifanreturns

Post by Footifanreturns » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:05 am

ED JOHNS.
The trip to Plymouth train journey was not mentioned, he knew Cooper from his days at the Boro.

If you have not heard the interview it is worth a listen on the Darlo website.

Yes we did have some really good players in that period, not sure what went wrong, I am sure some experts on here will be able to tell us. 😉

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 pm

Thanks Ray loved those four pieces on Alan's career, hadn't realised he got 97 goals in 3 years at Bristol City, was in league cup semi final and known in Bristol for his stepover "the Walshy shuffle" and hope we can get another chance to have a chat with him during a home game next season.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:29 pm

I think it is unfair to compare Walshy & Thommo. Walshy was playing in a struggling side, whilst Thommo played in a team that was nearly always on top in the league we were playing in. Both players rightly hold a special place in fan's hearts. Does anybody think any future player will break Walshy & Thommo's record? Personally I doubt it, as players seem to move clubs much more quickly & if we have a player that scores consistently year after year, a bigger club is likely to come in & snap him up.

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:19 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 pm
Thanks Ray loved those four pieces on Alan's career, hadn't realised he got 97 goals in 3 years at Bristol City, was in league cup semi final and known in Bristol for his stepover "the Walshy shuffle" and hope we can get another chance to have a chat with him during a home game next season.
Wikipedia has him down as 77 goals (possibly League only) in 5 years and 218 Appearances. Either way a great scoring record. Tribunal must have been interesting when he said he had to go in and explain to the committee why he wanted to join Bristol City. Must have been a quick discussion that..."my current club haven't offered me a new contract!"

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:25 pm

Footifanreturns wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:05 am
ED JOHNS.
The trip to Plymouth train journey was not mentioned, he knew Cooper from his days at the Boro.

If you have not heard the interview it is worth a listen on the Darlo website.

Yes we did have some really good players in that period, not sure what went wrong, I am sure some experts on here will be able to tell us. 😉
Obviously held back by the old fashioned tiny ground on a peppercorn rent in town centre near the bus & train station😉

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:02 pm

Loved watching him play

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:57 pm

eddie-rowles wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 pm
And he's the father-in-law of Kelsey Grammer (and yet is almost two years younger than KG).

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:45 pm

:x :clap: Walsh was wonderful. For years the brightest spark in some dull Quakers sides - it puzzled me why he stayed as long as he did though and why he seemed to enjoy, mostly, playing for us. My best memory of many is the home game with Bristol City in early 1983. Terry Cooper turned out for them but they were still a moderate looking team. Nevertheless they held us 2-2 despite us taking the lead twice. In the final half-hour Walsh played his heart out and they were rocking. He might have scored both our goals and very nearly won the game on his own. I'm sure that's when Cooper marked his card. Cyril was cross when they got him on the cheap but that was the clubs fault, he reckoned Alan had the best left foot he'd seen since Bobby Charlton.
So how did we manage to hang onto him? I think he was a better footballer than David Speedie but he had a more sociable temperament. When dirty David made the big time easy going Alan was left behind with the worst Quakers team I can remember; playing with 'footballers' of the calibre of Harry Wilson, Roger Wicks and Pat Cuff when manager Billy Elliot had lost the will to carry on. At least Elliot brought in young prospects such as Barber, Honour and Dave Young to get the ball to him.
Perhaps he was too loyal for his own good but he gave us something to get excited about and that's worth more than any transfer tribunal can imagine.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:58 pm

In the Fred Barber interview in this great series, he paints a vivid picture of being a young lad sat in his shirt and tie, a bundle of nerves, on the 722 double-decker bus from Ferryhill ready for his Darlo debut.

Fred shone from the off and later went on to also show how to really make a mark in a face mask...

https://images.app.goo.gl/tyYK6bqQcMTxBk6B9

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:33 pm

:) Fred's debut away at league leaders Hull was sensational - we held them to nil-nil draw largely due to him then beat Pools the following Weds. March 83 I think. Fred got a mention in the nationals as the Observer covered the Hull match. Better than Prudhoe?

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:38 pm

Wiseacre wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:33 pm
:) Fred's debut away at league leaders Hull was sensational - we held them to nil-nil draw largely due to him then beat Pools the following Weds. March 83 I think. Fred got a mention in the nationals as the Observer covered the Hull match. Better than Prudhoe?
Slightly off topic (Walsh) but rather than start a new one...……..Fred signed for Everton for £50,000 according to Wikipedia. Left after 6 months without ever making a first team appearance, sold to Walsall for £100,000. Seems good business for the Toffees I wonder if Fred got a cut of the fee, didn't players used to get 10% if they had not asked for a transfer, or have I got that wrong?

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:44 am

bga wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:38 pm
Wiseacre wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:33 pm
Slightly off topic (Walsh) but rather than start a new one...……..Fred signed for Everton for £50,000 according to Wikipedia. Left after 6 months without ever making a first team appearance, sold to Walsall for £100,000. Seems good business for the Toffees I wonder if Fred got a cut of the fee, didn't players used to get 10% if they had not asked for a transfer, or have I got that wrong?
Correct on all counts. He moved on so quickly because he was bought as back up with a view to become number 1 but they then within a very short time bought Bobby Mimms as a better option, and Fred dropped to number 3 keeper.