Next season’s captain

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Next season’s captain

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:43 am

Darlo_CR wrote:
quakerste wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 am
Personally would not want to see Joe Tait back at the club. Nothing against the lad but don't think he will add much, or be an improvement on what we already have at the club.
We conceded 50 goals this season compared to York who conceded just 28 with Joe Tait in the heart of defence. He is also very vocal, which I thought was something we lacked from our CB's last season. Laing and Storey are good players however I feel they'd benefit from a leader alongside.
And all that was down to Tait was it🤔🤔

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:48 am

No, but it shows at least that he was key part of an efficient defence.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:00 am

Darlofan97 wrote:No, but it shows at least that he was key part of an efficient defence.
Fair enough but we play different football to York we are always left wanting at the back at times

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:08 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:00 am
Darlofan97 wrote:No, but it shows at least that he was key part of an efficient defence.
Fair enough but we play different football to York we are always left wanting at the back at times

It’s just the way Alun plays. His sides have never been known for their defensive solidity!

Would Tait improve us? I think he probably would to be fair.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:19 am

quakerste wrote:
Personally would not want to see Joe Tait back at the club. Nothing against the lad but don't think he will add much, or be an improvement on what we already have at the club.
You don't think he will be an improvement on what we have?

Have you forgotten Farsley? Or how about Telford? I could go on. We can't defend.

He is better than Laing. He is better than the departed Galbraith.

He's not the best defender in the league but he's experienced and no nonsense. If he becomes available signing him would be a no brainer unless AA has someone lined up who is better.

Beano

Post by Beano » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:51 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:19 am
quakerste wrote:
You don't think he will be an improvement on what we have?

Have you forgotten Farsley? Or how about Telford? I could go on. We can't defend.

He is better than Laing. He is better than the departed Galbraith.

He's not the best defender in the league but he's experienced and no nonsense. If he becomes available signing him would be a no brainer unless AA has someone lined up who is better.
100% correct.

He would be our first choice centre half if he joined and his competitive spirit and fight is exactly what is needed in our defence.

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:56 am

Completely agree with the two posts above. I think Tait and Storey would be a strong partnership and one that would help push Storey on to be a better player, he has the potential to go far in the game.

I also think Laing will be utilised in the latter stages of games next season with his long ball distribution.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:34 am

Liddle and Hatfield probably the most obvious choices.

As said by others, you need leaders throughout the team but the captain needs to be someone that all will unanimously respect, and someone who can communicate diplomatically with officials and the opposition, not just with their own mates.

They also need to be a team player - probably why Gabbiadini wasn't really captain material, not that he wasn't a team player but he was very much a man for individual brilliance.

I think I'd go for Liddle if I had to choose, but I don't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Well, they obviously didn't see him playing in the league a season ago!

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:43 am

Don’t know the bloke personally but I always had the impression Tait was a bit of a tosser. Would not want him back if he came back in thinking he was a big time Charlie. Certainly would not bring him in and make him captain above the likes of Hatfield and Liddle. The last thing we need is another Styche type of character who thinks they are a cut above the rest.
Part of the pleasure of last season was watching a group of lads working hard for each other and the manager. Whoever comes in must fit in on and off the pitch. Trust in AA to bring in the right men.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:23 pm

Old Git wrote:Don’t know the bloke personally but I always had the impression Tait was a bit of a tosser. Would not want him back if he came back in thinking he was a big time Charlie. Certainly would not bring him in and make him captain above the likes of Hatfield and Liddle. The last thing we need is another Styche type of character who thinks they are a cut above the rest.
Part of the pleasure of last season was watching a group of lads working hard for each other and the manager. Whoever comes in must fit in on and off the pitch. Trust in AA to bring in the right men.
Tell you what Old Git, if we are interested in Joe and he happens to look at that post ....way over the top IMO.Give constructive criticism but "tosser" and "big time Charlie" is totally uncalled for.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:33 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:43 am
The last thing we need is another Styche type of character who thinks they are a cut above the rest.
The same Reece Styche who saved us from going down? :shock:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:43 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:23 pm
Old Git wrote:Don’t know the bloke personally but I always had the impression Tait was a bit of a tosser. Would not want him back if he came back in thinking he was a big time Charlie. Certainly would not bring him in and make him captain above the likes of Hatfield and Liddle. The last thing we need is another Styche type of character who thinks they are a cut above the rest.
Tell you what Old Git, if we are interested in Joe and he happens to look at that post ....way over the top IMO.Give constructive criticism but "tosser" and "big time Charlie" is totally uncalled for.

Agree with this.

Suspect with Tait most people see a very boisterous player on the pitch and there is a sour taste from how he left us to go to Spennymoor - and from that make deductions. Not sure why it has to be personal attacks on character though.

If I am not mistaken there was more to his last move as he wasn't working and along with a move to play for Spenny came a full time job...

I can't say I've really paid York that much attention to know how good he is but he had decent pedigree. The only thing is would Spennymoor be in for him as well?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:45 pm

AndyPark wrote:
Old Git wrote:
The last thing we need is another Styche type of character who thinks they are a cut above the rest.
And in fairness, Reece Styche WAS a cut above the rest in that squad, ability-wise.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:44 pm

I have watched McNulty a couple of times this season, obviously got a footballing brain, but over weight and slow plus prone to be little bit underhand possibly when marking an attacker. Quick forwards caught him out, so would not want him to be honest, (and doubt we could afford him). Also was not that impressed with Tait on the few games I watched in comparison to what we have. Jameson in goal certainly helped the goal against and looked solid with the odd mistake but overall very solid.

Plus I had a socially distant pint with a couple of York fans at the weekend and they seemed convinced Maguire was on his way to us, but who knows?

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:01 pm

50 years wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:44 pm
Plus I had a socially distant pint with a couple of York fans at the weekend and they seemed convinced Maguire was on his way to us, but who knows?
You really should be giving these illegal raves a miss :D

50 years

Post by 50 years » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:03 pm

😁

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:04 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:43 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Agree with this.

Suspect with Tait most people see a very boisterous player on the pitch and there is a sour taste from how he left us to go to Spennymoor - and from that make deductions. Not sure why it has to be personal attacks on character though.

If I am not mistaken there was more to his last move as he wasn't working and along with a move to play for Spenny came a full time job...

I can't say I've really paid York that much attention to know how good he is but he had decent pedigree. The only thing is would Spennymoor be in for him as well?
All of the bitterness towards Joe Tait is derived entirely from choosing to move to Spennymoor. To be fair to Joe, he didn't just get a good deal at the Spennymoor, he also took a job at Brad Grove's company so it gave him a solid career on and off the pitch. We couldn't possibly match that.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:40 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Calm down Calm down only stating what I think. Very much doubt Tait reads this forum but even if he does do you really think he would give a toss about what is posted. I think you greatly overestimate the importance of what is said on hear. It is just people’s views thoughts and opinions. Where are we supposed to do that if not on here ?

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:07 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:45 pm
AndyPark wrote:
Old Git wrote:
And in fairness, Reece Styche WAS a cut above the rest in that squad, ability-wise.
"Shock horror...………..Gramps hi-jacks his own thread to go off topic." To be continued...…..

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:24 pm

Styche is a decent player at our level but he was a liability in other ways. Pure speculation on my part but I suspect AA would have moved him on had he still been at the club when he arrived. He certainly would not fit in with our wage structure. Possibly part of the reason why he was a cut above the rest of the squad was because Tommy was using too much of the budget on his wages.
His performances at Hereford last season were not great by all accounts.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Styche was certainly more than decent at this level, and definitely not a liability.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:39 pm

Beano wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:43 pm
QUAKERMAN2 wrote:

Agree with this.

All of the bitterness towards Joe Tait is derived entirely from choosing to move to Spennymoor. To be fair to Joe, he didn't just get a good deal at the Spennymoor, he also took a job at Brad Grove's company so it gave him a solid career on and off the pitch. We couldn't possibly match that.
If I remember right he was also behind Brown and White in the pecking order at the time so left for more first team action.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:02 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Styche was certainly more than decent at this level, and definitely not a liability.
So would you want him back and be prepared to pay him a silly wage ?
Thought AA had proved that he can build a squad on a realistic budget and we had moved on.Styche was a decent striker but not value for money surely you must see that. I believe Armstrong said recently he inherited 9 players when he came here and they were on as much between them as the 20 players at Blyth. We can not go back and make the mistakes that Wright did in leaving us with a wafer thin squad because we were too generous with the money on offer. Styche was one of the biggest examples of that folly.

Darlogramps

Next season’s captain

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:03 pm

Old Git wrote:Styche is a decent player at our level but he was a liability in other ways. Pure speculation on my part but I suspect AA would have moved him on had he still been at the club when he arrived. He certainly would not fit in with our wage structure. Possibly part of the reason why he was a cut above the rest of the squad was because Tommy was using too much of the budget on his wages.
His performances at Hereford last season were not great by all accounts.
Oh I wouldn’t deny the point about finances, but I do love a good maverick. Styche was certainly that and in fairness, we would have been in much greater trouble had it not been for Styche.

If we’re talking about character, give me Styche over some of the dreck TW signed in his second season, any day of the week.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:02 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:50 pm
So would you want him back and be prepared to pay him a silly wage ?
Thought AA had proved that he can build a squad on a realistic budget and we had moved on.Styche was a decent striker but not value for money surely you must see that. I believe Armstrong said recently he inherited 9 players when he came here and they were on as much between them as the 20 players at Blyth. We can not go back and make the mistakes that Wright did in leaving us with a wafer thin squad because we were too generous with the money on offer. Styche was one of the biggest examples of that folly.
I’d have Styche back if we could afford him in a heart-beat, but obviously that wouldn’t happen for a number of reasons (including financial ones).

Does that make him “just decent” at this level? No of course it doesn’t. He was top quality and he was paid to reflect that. He scored goals in a poor team. You shouldn’t under-sell his quality because he was paid a good wage.

One of the best, if not the best, centre-forward we’ve had at the club in 8 years.

At least Styche showed some value in his performances (hence why Alfreton paid good money for him), unlike a few others Tommy signed on a big wage.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:45 am

Your entitled to the opinion that Styche was a good player especially as he was part of a moderate team but I can think of other strikers who have been at least as good. Graeme Armstrong, Mark Beck and Tyrone O’Neill to name three and I would argue each of them was more of a team player. Can not remember any of them sulking like Styche did when things were not going well. Also I am an admirer of Campbell but he is an entirely different type of player so hard to make comparisons.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:25 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:45 am
Your entitled to the opinion that Styche was a good player especially as he was part of a moderate team but I can think of other strikers who have been at least as good. Graeme Armstrong, Mark Beck and Tyrone O’Neill to name three and I would argue each of them was more of a team player. Can not remember any of them sulking like Styche did when things were not going well. Also I am an admirer of Campbell but he is an entirely different type of player so hard to make comparisons.
I think Armstrong is pushing things. Relative to the level he was excellent and years ago would have been comparable. To directly compare though the Styche we had > Armstrong we had.

Your other examples I completely agree with but then Beck only saw us as a stop gap to professional football (paid accordingly) and O'Neill was on loan to us from a Championship side and we don't expect will be a realistic permanent target. For perspective Beck may well be a League Two player next season.

Styche was one of the top strikers in this division at the time we had him. Doesn't mean I'd go back in for him now mind. Time elapsed, money plus playing style and harmony of current squad are all relevant factors in that.

Darlogramps

Next season’s captain

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 am

Old Git wrote:Your entitled to the opinion that Styche was a good player especially as he was part of a moderate team but I can think of other strikers who have been at least as good. Graeme Armstrong, Mark Beck and Tyrone O’Neill to name three and I would argue each of them was more of a team player. Can not remember any of them sulking like Styche did when things were not going well. Also I am an admirer of Campbell but he is an entirely different type of player so hard to make comparisons.
Styche is miles better than Armstrong. Comparing the two is laughable. Armstrong was great for the level but Styche performed in a much better division.

Styche also had a greater impact than O’Neill in my opinion (and O’Neill was only a short-term loan signing anyway, whereas Styche played a big role in our first season turnaround under TW.

Beck is fair but both are different players anyway.

I also think Styche would thrive better in an Armstrong team, simply because he’s a miles better manager than Wright. Part of the reason Styche had his quiet spells with us was because he was stuck in a poor team who weren’t performing because of an inept manager.

Some players are just different, and the effort of managing them can be worth it if it gets the best out of them. I think Styche was one of those.

Not sure Styche is an Armstrong-type player, but I’d have him back any day of the week.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:37 am

Old Git wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:45 am
I would pretty much agree with this. Styche was moody - I prefer team players.
50 years wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:44 pm
I have watched McNulty a couple of times this season, obviously got a footballing brain, but over weight and slow plus prone to be little bit underhand possibly when marking an attacker. Quick forwards caught him out, so would not want him to be honest, (and doubt we could afford him). Also was not that impressed with Tait on the few games I watched in comparison to what we have. Jameson in goal certainly helped the goal against and looked solid with the odd mistake but overall very solid.

And agree with this too. I saw York play about 6 times last season and McNulty didn't look brilliant. Tait on the other hand, when he kept things simple and played to his strengths look good. Tait looked good at getting to the ball first and hoofing it away and he was up for the battle - these two attributes alone make for a good defender. He still pulls his shorts up in that posing type way though :?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!