The Team 20/21 season

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: The Team 20/21 season

Post by divas » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:41 am
e4sby wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:50 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:05 pm
His minutes to goals/assists is actually decent. It’s difficult to judge with such limited game-time spread across a number of seasons. He is definitely more of an impact player but at 22, still has time to improve.

I certainly wouldn’t be writing it off, like some have, for the reasons I’ve outlined.

Certainly had a decent impact for a Blyth side that reached the play-offs.
But if it was a choice between Wrightson and Lambert who would you choose? I'm presuming Lambert is a target of AA and his versatility of playing ACM and out wide like he did at Blyth will enable to AA to bring in his couple of forwards he's wanting
You could probably make a case for both an attacking midfielder and a winger signing. Not saying it’ll both be Lambert & Wrightson, but we will need to cover the minutes Holness & Thompson played last season somehow.

You could drop Reid back in to a 2 (like he did at Blyth) with Hatfield, Wheatley or Atkinson and play Lambert further up.

All speculation of course and in a way, it’s a nice problem to have. We have a solid core of 13/14 to add to and most are flexible to cover a few different positions which doesn’t make the recruitment as clear-cut barring the obvious (GK,CB,CF).
Don’t forget we now have Jamie Holmes who played no part last season, I expect he’ll get a good bit of game time replacing Thommo

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Equally Atkinson will also get game time where Holness did last season, again he was pretty limited this season.

Based on what Armstrong said at the NetCafe ie that he is basically after two strikers a centre back and a goalkeeper. Add Lambert into the mix because I think it is a reasonable assumption that he would like to sign him and I think that is the target for the remaining 5 slots. One of those strikers you would expect to be McGuire...if he is available but that said would he have been available in January which is when targets were identified.

I am not sure if a second striker is an immediate priority if we end up with Campbell + another (plus Reid and Donawa who can push up or Lambert who can play off). Makes you wonder if you could get Boyes at a decent price, obviously finances should be written to reflect a potential suspension for betting offences, is it a massive risk if you basically registered him but didn't pay him until he is eligible (would anyone else take the risk). Betting suspensions have ranged anywhere from 3 to 15 months though so really hard to judge.

Wonder if Gary Martin will be earmarked for a return next season as well.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:50 pm

lo36789 wrote:Equally Atkinson will also get game time where Holness did last season, again he was pretty limited this season.

Based on what Armstrong said at the NetCafe ie that he is basically after two strikers a centre back and a goalkeeper. Add Lambert into the mix because I think it is a reasonable assumption that he would like to sign him and I think that is the target for the remaining 5 slots. One of those strikers you would expect to be McGuire...if he is available but that said would he have been available in January which is when targets were identified.

I am not sure if a second striker is an immediate priority if we end up with Campbell + another (plus Reid and Donawa who can push up or Lambert who can play off). Makes you wonder if you could get Boyes at a decent price, obviously finances should be written to reflect a potential suspension for betting offences, is it a massive risk if you basically registered him but didn't pay him until he is eligible (would anyone else take the risk). Betting suspensions have ranged anywhere from 3 to 15 months though so really hard to judge.

Wonder if Gary Martin will be earmarked for a return next season as well.
I doubt we'd look at Martin again. It didn't seem to work out for him this year and I think was only ever intended to tide us over after O'Neill left.

If we had one (or two) strikers added to the squad for the season I can't see that Martin would add anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:58 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:40 pm
Maguire certainly wasn’t available in January.

I think the idea that targets were identified in January and attempts were made to sign them there and then is too literal to what Alun said. Very little tends to happen in these months anyway & certainly not when you can get them for free in the summer.

The thought that Maguire was also identified in Jan is also taken too literally - we tried to sign him last summer!

I would suspect a fair few of the players we go in for this summer will be already known to Alun prior - and attempts were probably made last summer to bring them in too.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:00 pm

divas wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:11 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:41 am
e4sby wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:50 am
Darlofan97 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:05 pm
His minutes to goals/assists is actually decent. It’s difficult to judge with such limited game-time spread across a number of seasons. He is definitely more of an impact player but at 22, still has time to improve.

I certainly wouldn’t be writing it off, like some have, for the reasons I’ve outlined.

Certainly had a decent impact for a Blyth side that reached the play-offs.
But if it was a choice between Wrightson and Lambert who would you choose? I'm presuming Lambert is a target of AA and his versatility of playing ACM and out wide like he did at Blyth will enable to AA to bring in his couple of forwards he's wanting
You could probably make a case for both an attacking midfielder and a winger signing. Not saying it’ll both be Lambert & Wrightson, but we will need to cover the minutes Holness & Thompson played last season somehow.

You could drop Reid back in to a 2 (like he did at Blyth) with Hatfield, Wheatley or Atkinson and play Lambert further up.

All speculation of course and in a way, it’s a nice problem to have. We have a solid core of 13/14 to add to and most are flexible to cover a few different positions which doesn’t make the recruitment as clear-cut barring the obvious (GK,CB,CF).
Don’t forget we now have Jamie Holmes who played no part last season, I expect he’ll get a good bit of game time replacing Thommo
We didn’t, obviously, see the best of him last season. He had a really good pre-season too. Toyed with a very strong Harrogate defence.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:49 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:58 pm
I think the idea that targets were identified in January and attempts were made to sign them there and then is too literal to what Alun said. Very little tends to happen in these months anyway & certainly not when you can get them for free in the summer.
I don't think there was a suggestion that there were attempts to buy in January. I thought he simply said that he identified targets for the summer in January and had some conversations then (this would be in line 'legally' as you can approach players who's contracts etc. are expiring at that point without requiring permission off their clubs).

So to be fair the phone calls and conversations may in all likelihood have been taking place before then...but it wouldn't be wise to say that in a public forum.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 am

Talk of signing York players is this not a bit premature as the EFL have yet to decide how the season will end as regards promotion and relegation in our leagues? Might be playoff games played or done on a points basis. Or have i got this wrong :wtf:
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:38 am

Purely now it’s all speculation and putting 2 + 2 together as apparently York are cutting costs and AA has worked with Jameson, Langstaff, Maguire before.

AA has said himself in his interview that we need to be patient regarding the final decision from the EFL and NL, although to be honest as York loaned Langstaff out in February I think we would have a realistic chance of signing him as York may not want to keep him regardless of the outcome.

The same would apply for Maguire as he is more suited to part-time football.

Tait is studying a Degree so part-time football would probably suit him as he is coming to the twilight of his career.

The main surprise would be Jameson as he is a quality goalkeeper and I cannot imagine York would want to let him go.

Wrightson I think would be a good bet as we went in for him last summer.

That’s my take on things anyway - all just speculation and rumours but either way nothing will be announced until the NL make their decision/the season has concluded.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:03 am

Quakers83 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:38 am

Wrightson I think would be a good bet as we went in for him last summer.
From my understanding we didn't go in for him last year, things can always change but not convinced we will be in for him again this year either.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:54 am

poppyfield wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 am
Talk of signing York players is this not a bit premature as the EFL have yet to decide how the season will end as regards promotion and relegation in our leagues? Might be playoff games played or done on a points basis. Or have i got this wrong :wtf:

You're very correct! The NL did a U-turn recently and decided that they may have play-offs after all, so any decision about York players may have to wait some time, but AA has made this very point himself about having to be patient.
As for York, the previously forecast apocalypse about McGill making cutbacks once York are i their new stadium looks to be coming true. They may be best suited to staying put!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:30 pm

Connor Oliver released from Gateshead. Would not entirely surprise me if we have some interest.

curried Quaker

Post by curried Quaker » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:49 pm

Connor Oliver is a mid fielder, think we have plenty of them. Not on my radar, but what do I know.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:20 pm

Surely if he's been released by Gateshead, he'll not be as good as what we've already got?

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:58 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:20 pm
Surely if he's been released by Gateshead, he'll not be as good as what we've already got?
That’ll be the team that finished four points ahead of us with two games in hand and a +16 goal difference.

Oliver made 27 appearances for them and he reached the play-offs under Blyth with AA. I also think we went in for him last year too.

We have good options in the middle but we do play 3.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:06 am

Quakers83 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:58 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:20 pm
That’ll be the team that finished four points ahead of us with two games in hand and a +16 goal difference.

Oliver made 27 appearances for them and he reached the play-offs under Blyth with AA. I also think we went in for him last year too.

We have good options in the middle but we do play 3.
All depends who you believe in terms of our other targets. If we're after Tony McMahon then that also frees Hedley up to play midfield. If we're after Lambert or Pattison then they are more the attacking midfielder type that we'd need in a 3 man midfield.

I think we were after him early in pre-season last year but he chose full time football at Gateshead. After which we signed the likes of Hatfield and Reid etc. Maybe Michael Nelson can tempt him back to Blyth depending on how much Patten actually wants to put into their squad this year.

Beano

Post by Beano » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:01 am

Why would we be after Tony McMahon?

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:10 pm

Because he’s a Bishop Auckland based, experienced full-back that would do a good job for us - and would also free up Hedley to play in his actual position.

On this thread;

Tait - Not good enough.
Wrightson - Not good enough.
McMahon - Why would we be after him?
Pattison - One of our own - we all know how they turn out.
Oliver - Released by Gateshead, surely not be as good as what we’ve already got?

Yet the above players would all improve the squad.

God help AA.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:52 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:10 pm
Because he’s a Bishop Auckland based, experienced full-back that would do a good job for us - and would also free up Hedley to play in his actual position.

On this thread;

Tait - Not good enough.
Oliver - Released by Gateshead, surely not be as good as what we’ve already got?

God help AA.
Of course they would improve our squad, we only have 13 players.

Not sure God needs to help AA, there will be plenty of players available and I would be suprised if we signed even two of the above five.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:54 pm

When do people think the season will start?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:30 pm

quakerste wrote:When do people think the season will start?
October

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:07 am

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:30 pm
quakerste wrote:When do people think the season will start?
October

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Only if the rumours are true that the boffins at Oxford university think they might have developed a vaccine which should be ready to go about September. Failing that I think we might genuinely struggle to see any live football this year.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:10 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:52 pm
Quakers83 wrote:

On this thread;

Tait - Not good enough.

God help AA.

Not sure God needs to help AA, there will be plenty of players available and I would be suprised if we signed even two of the above five.
Would a random bloke out the crowd improve the squad?

No need to be pedantic super_les, you knew what point I was making - that good players are being dismissed.

Darlogramps

The Team 20/21 season

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:16 pm

I agree with Quakers83. AA has had a good track record on new signings so far with us, and deserves a bit of trust.

Fans do like to think they know better. And for everyone criticising, you can bet people will pile in with any new transfer, saying “Great signing” etc.

Let’s just trust AA’s judgement, he’s earned that.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:15 pm

Quakers83 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:10 pm
Quakers83 wrote:

On this thread;

Tait - Not good enough.

God help AA.

No need to be pedantic super_les, you knew what point I was making - that good players are being dismissed.
What do you want, everyone to agree that the above 5 players should be signed?

Some will rate a few of them and some won't, whoever AA signs will deserve our support as his record has been pretty decent. People can have their thoughts on any potential signings though, you can disagree that's the point really of forum discussion.

Let's see who AA signs but from what I understand then I don't believe he is interested in all of those five, but time will tell.

Quakers83

Post by Quakers83 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:15 pm
Quakers83 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:10 pm
Quakers83 wrote:

On this thread;

Tait - Not good enough.

God help AA.

What do you want, everyone to agree that the above 5 players should be signed?

Some will rate a few of them and some won't, whoever AA signs will deserve our support as his record has been pretty decent. People can have their thoughts on any potential signings though, you can disagree that's the point really of forum discussion.

Let's see who AA signs but from what I understand then I don't believe he is interested in all of those five, but time will tell.
Nobody is asking that everyone should agree that the above five players should be signed.

My point being is that people are being way too dismissive based on flawed logic.

Of course we can disagree with opinions on potential players - that’s football. But, again, when the logic is flawed and good players are being dismissed, I would love to know who these people expect us to sign.

These are the sort of players that are realistic in terms of wages and calibre. As AA has tried to sign four of these before, it’s probably similar to the sort of players we will bring in during the summer.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:53 pm

quakerste wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:54 pm
does anybody even think there will be a 20/21 season?

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:57 pm

Spyman wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:50 pm
I doubt we'd look at Martin again. It didn't seem to work out for him this year and I think was only ever intended to tide us over after O'Neill left.
I'm sure if Martin had looked like a class act during his loan we'd have been desperate to get him back after his next contract in Iceland ends. And as a Darlo lad maybe he would have wanted it too, after all what can be better than scoring goals for your home town club and help turn them into a force?

But after 2 months training with us before making his debut, and much hype, he turned out to be nowt spesh. He did nowt for York either. Yet he scored a goal a game in Iceland.

I think that when players come back from Iceland and compare their league to league 2, that they are deluding themselves.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:16 pm

bigdavethemaddog wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:53 pm
quakerste wrote:
Could be a 21 season...

Clubs at our level aren’t viable without paying crowds.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 am

H1987 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:16 pm
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
quakerste wrote:
Could be a 21 season...

Goes right back to what I said right at the very start of this mess split our league in half regionalised and play half a season with the champions of each half being promoted no play offs and back to normal the following season - simples.

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:24 am

Mister e wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 am
H1987 wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:16 pm
bigdavethemaddog wrote:
quakerste wrote:
Could be a 21 season...

Goes right back to what I said right at the very start of this mess split our league in half regionalised and play half a season with the champions of each half being promoted no play offs and back to normal the following season - simples.
that involves the use of a brain and intelligence so cant see that happening