Retained List

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

johnnylewis1k89

Retained List

Post by johnnylewis1k89 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:03 pm

See the club have announced the retained list and it shows Holness and Galbraith have been offered terms but haven’t accepted yet.

Wonder what their future holds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JE93
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Retained List

Post by JE93 » Sat May 30, 2020 2:38 pm

Holness has his new agent. A quick look at their website says there was supposed to be a trial game in June at Harrogate's CNG ground which was going to be televised to scouts in multiple countries. Who knows when that game will be rearranged to. But good luck to him. If he wants to take that risk for a full time deal go for it. But our offer cant be open ended. He was a good player in 4-3-3 but lacked the positional discipline to play in a central midfield 2 in my opinion.

Tez is similar to Thommo, been here since the Northern league days, huge fan affection. I am sure he will have good offers from some of the richer northern league clubs and the likes of Sheilds or Morpeth. But most think our strongest CB pairing would be Storey + plus a big nasty CB. Laing gives us options if we have a lot of the ball because his long range passing is better than the other two. So his reduced terms reflect the fact he could well be second choice next season.

Neither are irreplaceable in my opinion but both offer decent options if we get them on the right terms.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat May 30, 2020 2:43 pm

Both good players and I think most fans would be happy for them to sign but we are not in a position to worry about it if they wish to move on. We already have plenty of defensive and midfield options and there will be plenty of players available who could prove as good if we need to strengthen in those areas. Interestingly if they don’t sign I think that would mean only Joe Wheatley left from the players who were here before Armstrong so he really has reshaped the squad in his own image.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Sat May 30, 2020 3:12 pm

A good sign to me of a player is if I can remember his name. Under Tommy's reign I had trouble remembering who they were but now I'm pretty much sorted, apart from a couple of the defenders :oops:
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat May 30, 2020 6:21 pm

Old Git wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:43 pm
Both good players and I think most fans would be happy for them to sign but we are not in a position to worry about it if they wish to move on. We already have plenty of defensive and midfield options and there will be plenty of players available who could prove as good if we need to strengthen in those areas. Interestingly if they don’t sign I think that would mean only Joe Wheatley left from the players who were here before Armstrong so he really has reshaped the squad in his own image.
Wheatley is the last remaining Gray era element if Galbraith moves on, which I believe he will.

Be good to see who new we can bring in, we have a steady squad and the extra quality should hopefully mean we expect progress for the first time in about 4 seasons.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:05 pm

JE93 wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:38 pm
Holness has his new agent. A quick look at their website says there was supposed to be a trial game in June at Harrogate's CNG ground which was going to be televised to scouts in multiple countries. Who knows when that game will be rearranged to. But good luck to him. If he wants to take that risk for a full time deal go for it. But our offer cant be open ended. He was a good player in 4-3-3 but lacked the positional discipline to play in a central midfield 2 in my opinion.

Tez is similar to Thommo, been here since the Northern league days, huge fan affection. I am sure he will have good offers from some of the richer northern league clubs and the likes of Sheilds or Morpeth. But most think our strongest CB pairing would be Storey + plus a big nasty CB. Laing gives us options if we have a lot of the ball because his long range passing is better than the other two. So his reduced terms reflect the fact he could well be second choice next season.

Neither are irreplaceable in my opinion but both offer decent options if we get them on the right terms.
Can’t blame him really. I suspect our offer will remain there but of course if he drags on we will look at other players. He only signed up right at the start of this season so maybe that will happen again.

I wonder what’s going on with Osagi. I felt bad for him, he’s not a bad player at all, we were just well stocked up in that position. Hope he gets another chance somewhere, he seemed a nice lad.