Thommo

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mister e
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Thommo

Post by Mister e » Thu May 21, 2020 2:54 pm

loan_star wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:37 am
al_quaker wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:30 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 am
One thing I’ve never understood with certain Spenny fans is why they’re so keen to deny they’re bankrolled. I don’t get it.

It’s actually more effective to just admit it, as it shuts down that line of attack much quicker. “We’re bankrolled, so what?”

There’s not actually any issue with them living beyond their means. Plenty of clubs do, and so long as Uncle Brad is happy covering the losses, then there’s not much of an issue. It only becomes an issue if Uncle Brad decides he doesn’t want to keep writing off big wads of cash each year.

The denial of this is what makes it even funnier and stranger.
This - they're far from unique in being bankrolled. The denials just make it funny. How many clubs aren't actually bankrolled one way or another? Hardly any turn an operating profit. Hartlepool are being bankrolled, but either not very well or to the level needed to compete at the top of the conference. We are bankrolled (albeit in a different and more sustainable way, in my opinion at least). They're fortunate in that they seem to have a good benefactor at the moment, but as we and countless others have seen bad owners can come along very quickly.
Hartlepool fans always used to bang on about how they were being run sustainably under IOR despite the fact that they were bankrolled to the tune of circa £12m during their ownership of the club. Ever since that rug has been pulled they have continued hemorrhaging money into a bottomless pit trying to keep afloat.
Now we see Spenny fans thinking they are run sustainably, exactly how the chimps thought so too, and it will be interesting to see what would happen should Groves ever do an IOR and decide he cant afford to subsidise the club any longer.
Speaking of Hartlepool I see that their poor gullible supporters have raised more than £10'000 in less than a week in their version of boost the budget. I wonder how much of that is going to be spent on PPE for Raj Singh's nursing homes 😁😁

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
One thing I’ve never understood with certain Spenny fans is why they’re so keen to deny they’re bankrolled. I don’t get it.

It’s actually more effective to just admit it, as it shuts down that line of attack much quicker. “We’re bankrolled, so what?”

There’s not actually any issue with them living beyond their means. Plenty of clubs do, and so long as Uncle Brad is happy covering the losses, then there’s not much of an issue. It only becomes an issue if Uncle Brad decides he doesn’t want to keep writing off big wads of cash each year.

This - they're far from unique in being bankrolled. The denials just make it funny. How many clubs aren't actually bankrolled one way or another? Hardly any turn an operating profit. Hartlepool are being bankrolled, but either not very well or to the level needed to compete at the top of the conference. We are bankrolled (albeit in a different and more sustainable way, in my opinion at least). They're fortunate in that they seem to have a good benefactor at the moment, but as we and countless others have seen bad owners can come along very quickly.
If you're being totally honest, we are also bankrolled.

Boost the budget and the various other donations are no different to one owner pumping money in for no return to keep the club going - it's just that ours are thinly spread over a large number of individuals which does make it less risky - if a % of those withdraw their funding they can be more easily replaced for example.

Darlington FC doesn't run within its means, it needs revenue above and beyond what the club itself can generate via its day to day activities - at least at the level we're at now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Thu May 21, 2020 3:49 pm

Spyman wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:38 pm
al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

Boost the budget and the various other donations are no different to one owner pumping money in for no return to keep the club going - it's just that ours are thinly spread over a large number of individuals which does make it less risky - if a % of those withdraw their funding they can be more easily replaced for example.

Darlington FC doesn't run within its means, it needs revenue above and beyond what the club itself can generate via its day to day activities - at least at the level we're at now.

This is the reality of it.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Thu May 21, 2020 4:03 pm

wizardofos wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:49 pm
Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

This is the reality of it.
In that case, that is the situation at every level of professional football (full-time or part-time). Very few clubs (if any) exist purely on the proceeds of the viewing public on matchdays and the business has to be supplemented by other means.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu May 21, 2020 4:13 pm

Spyman wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

I agree - hence why I said we are bankrolled!

Our model is different and (I think) more sustainable, but we still rely on our owners to put money in to compete at this level.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu May 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Most if not close to all clubs are bankrolled, especially below the Premier League (also many of them).

What happens if that outside investments stops I guess is the sentiment. In our case our budget would drop off by about a 1/3 if we had to make those saving straight in the player/management area. You would think we would struggle to push for play-offs in our league, however if every other team were in the same boat then we would probably still be pushing for play-offs.

The difference I guess is we understand what level of our extra cash coming in and happily talk about it and we know what happens if we stop financially supporting our club. Some teams fans don't want to even guess or appreciate the money coming in from the owner who is driving their club forward/keeping it at the level they are.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu May 21, 2020 5:17 pm

You mean like this one....

"As I have said before I am not privy to the details of the Spennymoor Town finances so can't confirm or deny whether Brad has put £1 or £1m or £10m into the club. If you want to believe it is £1m then you believe it. I can't confirm or deny it as I do not have any evidence."

Guess who... yes another classic from the Fellow of the Royal College of Idiots :D

Darlogramps

Thommo

Post by Darlogramps » Thu May 21, 2020 5:26 pm

LoidLucan wrote:You mean like this one....

"As I have said before I am not privy to the details of the Spennymoor Town finances so can't confirm or deny whether Brad has put £1 or £1m or £10m into the club. If you want to believe it is £1m then you believe it. I can't confirm or deny it as I do not have any evidence."

Guess who... yes another classic from the Fellow of the Royal College of Idiots :D
He’s not privy to them. Apart Brad publicly stating he’s invested seven-figures into the club, and GAS publishing their accounts.

So much easier to stick his head in the sand. Admitting they’re bankrolled is beyond his tiny little mind.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Thu May 21, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

wizardofos

Post by wizardofos » Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:26 pm

He’s not privy to them. Apart Brad publicly stating he’s invested seven-figures into the club, and GAS publishing their accounts.

So much easier to stick his head in the stand. Admitting they’re bankrolled is beyond his tiny little mind.
And looking at the GAS acounts, it's not exactly a money making machine. Circa £1m profit per annum means any Spennymoor subsidy is a significant drain. Groves must be very keen.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Thu May 21, 2020 10:44 pm

I'd love to stick his head in the stand Gramps! Preferably hard against an iron girder. He's a constant argumentative nuisance who can't accept Brad's publicly stated seven figure investment.

HarryCharltonsCat

Post by HarryCharltonsCat » Fri May 22, 2020 1:36 pm

All Spennymoor fans know they are bankrolled. They choose to deny it to irritate people, who for some reason need them to publicly acknowledge it, as if that makes any difference. We know it, they know it, lets move on.

Darlogramps

Thommo

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm

HarryCharltonsCat wrote:All Spennymoor fans know they are bankrolled. They choose to deny it to irritate people, who for some reason need them to publicly acknowledge it, as if that makes any difference. We know it, they know it, lets move on.
Uncovered’s biggest contrarian, HarryCharltonsCat, there deciding he can speak for all Spennymoor fans.

Certainly flies in the face of what we’ve seen on this board and social media. Some genuinely do deny it. Which makes it all the more funny when they refuse to publicly acknowledge it.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:36 pm

wizardofos wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:43 pm
And looking at the GAS acounts, it's not exactly a money making machine. Circa £1m profit per annum means any Spennymoor subsidy is a significant drain. Groves must be very keen.
I'd say £1 million clear profit each year after all costs is pretty good like!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:44 pm

Their taxable profit will certainly be smaller after the transactions with Spennymoor...or maybe that was just the club paying their £600k+ annual energy bill...who knows can't possibly tell...

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 22, 2020 8:49 pm

wizardofos wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:26 pm

So much easier to stick his head in the stand. Admitting they’re bankrolled is beyond his tiny little mind.
Surely that £1million profit is after all outgoings, such as the wages they pay to staff who happen to also make an income as footballers, as well as any marketing costs (such as sponsoring/advertising at a football club)?

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC