Potential new signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

QUAKERMAN2
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 am

Got to agree with Ghost, absolute no brainer we need a keeper, tough, no nonsense CB and a good striker to compliment Campbell and add to an already pretty good squad.Tez and Thommo are probably high earners but would like them both with us next season if AA can agree terms with them both.Cannot imagine Elliott and Ainge being the only 2 to be released, not sure what is happening with Omar and Trots plus some of the others like Hedley and Reid.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat May 16, 2020 9:00 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:53 am
Got to agree with Ghost, absolute no brainer we need a keeper, tough, no nonsense CB and a good striker to compliment Campbell and add to an already pretty good squad.Tez and Thommo are probably high earners but would like them both with us next season if AA can agree terms with them both.Cannot imagine Elliott and Ainge being the only 2 to be released, not sure what is happening with Omar and Trots plus some of the others like Hedley and Reid.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
I think Hedley should stay. He did a solid job last season for a man whose usual position is midfield. He is what used to be called a utility plyer and can offers options if needed. I would also keep Holness all day long. Not so Reid.

I think AA has tough decisions to make about some of our long-playing servants.

However, I am not sure we will kick a ball next season so this chat could all prove meaningless.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 am

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:20 am
JE93 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:18 am

I would like a big 6'3+ head it and kick it defender, but I dont think it makes financial sense to add a 4th CB especially when Reid can fill in in emergencies, so could see that being a one in one out situation, but then who would be let go?
Either Galbraith or Laing. Neither are going to get any better at this stage. Whereas Storey still has room for improvement. I see Storey + new signing as the CB pairing next season, with one of Galbraith or Laing as cover. I'd probably favour keeping Tez because he can play left back as well, plus his long history at the club.

But to say a big 6'3+ head it and kick it defender doesn't make financial sense is bizarre, it's a number one priority. Remember Farsley at home? Somehow lost 2-4 in a match we completely dominated? That's why an ugly brick s*** house is a necessity - and a keeper. We'll go nowhere leaking goals like that every week. And of course a goalscorer. How many chances did we waste not just v Farsley but throughout the season?

Before anyone mentions Campbell and his 16 goals, remember that he should have scored about 160. Score one, miss 10. I've never seen a Darlo team create so many chances yet score so few. Don't get me wrong, he's a nifty intelligent player who I'd like to see in the team next season, but we definitely need a forward alongside who can take more chances.

Imagine the Farsley match with a competent keeper, a no nonsense central defender marshalling the back line, and a goalscorer? We'd have literally won 6-0.

I STILL haven't got over that match! Never even been able to bring myself to watch the highlights yet or listen to the after match interviews.
I was saying adding a 4th CB wouldn’t make financial sense, hence saying it would have to be one in one out. I agree with you Storey + A big ugly defender would be my preference too. Someone like Turner from Newcastle or Hemming from Boro in goal. Would love O’Neill back too, or someone similar, with those 3 players I think we’re a top 5 team.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:16 am

I would keep Reid. Intelligent player with a physical presence who can play across a number of positions in the side.

In fact, I don’t think the question should be asked of keeping him or Hedley. Both are good enough and will stay.

In terms of Elliott, I was hammered for saying he would cost us points across the season. I did maybe exaggerate and say we would only finish 13th/14th with him in the side! However, ultimately we can do better, Connell is a bit better than him but if we could bring in Hemming then that would be even better.

Goalkeeper, centre-half & centre-forward are the priority. I think there are a fair few players out of contract at York so I would expect Alun to go back in for a few players there again.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sat May 16, 2020 9:29 am

Sorry Darlo 2001uk but totally disagree about Reid. I would definitely keep him as he can do a great job anywhere in the spine of the team and will prove a valuable asset.
Probably has mostly played as an attacking midfielder in his career but can play as an additional striker if needed and scores goals. Also looked decent when he filled in at centre half which may ultimately prove to be his best position. An absolute must for next season season whenever it comes.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 16, 2020 10:04 am

After seeing Reid play centre half I see know reason why he can't be that centre half we need. He was immense when he dropped in there against Guiseley.

divas

Post by divas » Sat May 16, 2020 11:09 am

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Langstaff from York here next season either

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:15 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:16 am
I would keep Reid. Intelligent player with a physical presence who can play across a number of positions in the side.

In fact, I don’t think the question should be asked of keeping him or Hedley. Both are good enough and will stay.

In terms of Elliott, I was hammered for saying he would cost us points across the season. I did maybe exaggerate and say we would only finish 13th/14th with him in the side! However, ultimately we can do better, Connell is a bit better than him but if we could bring in Hemming then that would be even better.

Goalkeeper, centre-half & centre-forward are the priority. I think there are a fair few players out of contract at York so I would expect Alun to go back in for a few players there again.
Got to disagree that Connell was a bit better than Elliott. Elliott before that complete calamity v Farsley had looked pretty competent if not outstanding, in most of the matches he played for us.

But although Connell started with a real purple patch for us, and indeed did look like a bit of an upgrade on Elliott, he soon reverted back to Northern League standard - which is incidentally where he'll be playing next season, if there is a season.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat May 16, 2020 11:21 am

e4sby wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:52 am
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
JE93 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 7:18 am

I would like a big 6'3+ head it and kick it defender, but I dont think it makes financial sense to add a 4th CB especially when Reid can fill in in emergencies, so could see that being a one in one out situation, but then who would be let go?
Either Galbraith or Laing. Neither are going to get any better at this stage. Whereas Storey still has room for improvement. I see Storey + new signing as the CB pairing next season, with one of Galbraith or Laing as cover. I'd probably favour keeping Tez because he can play left back as well, plus his long history at the club.

But to say a big 6'3+ head it and kick it defender doesn't make financial sense is bizarre, it's a number one priority. Remember Farsley at home? Somehow lost 2-4 in a match we completely dominated? That's why an ugly brick s*** house is a necessity - and a keeper. We'll go nowhere leaking goals like that every week. And of course a goalscorer. How many chances did we waste not just v Farsley but throughout the season?

Before anyone mentions Campbell and his 16 goals, remember that he should have scored about 160. Score one, miss 10. I've never seen a Darlo team create so many chances yet score so few. Don't get me wrong, he's a nifty intelligent player who I'd like to see in the team next season, but we definitely need a forward alongside who can take more chances.

Imagine the Farsley match with a competent keeper, a no nonsense central defender marshalling the back line, and a goalscorer? We'd have literally won 6-0.

I STILL haven't got over that match! Never even been able to bring myself to watch the highlights yet or listen to the after match interviews.
I had the ‘pleasure’ of watching from the balcony - that’s something I’ll never be able to unsee...

Worst individual goalkeeping performance I’ve ever witnessed live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It was terrible wasn't it?

He'd been pretty competent and consistent for a couple of months before Farsley it seemed, winning his place back from Connell - but he just fell to pieces on the day.

Even if the season had played out and he'd put in some good performances afterwards, you just know that one performance was a club ending performance.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:23 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:15 am
Darlofan97 wrote:

Got to disagree that Connell was a bit better than Elliott. Elliott before that complete calamity v Farsley had looked pretty competent if not outstanding, in most of the matches he played for us.

But although Connell started with a real purple patch for us, and indeed did look like a bit of an upgrade on Elliott, he soon reverted back to Northern League standard - which is incidentally where he'll be playing next season, if there is a season.
"Outstanding" goalkeepers don't keep 6 clean sheets in 25 games, or 4 in 33 for Alfreton at this level.

He did have a few good games for us, I re-call Solihull (H) & Blyth (H) where he was very good.

If a goalkeeper looks outstanding in most the matches he played, and drops a few clangers in one game, you don't release him. That would be a knee-jerk reaction.

Connell did drop off after a very good start, but to say he is Northern League standard after a very good season last year in the NPL at Shields? He looked better than Elliott and dug us out a lot more.

That said, football is a matter of opinions. I personally think Alun made the correct call and that the Farsley game wasn't the deciding factor. There are better goalkeepers available (particularly on loan) as we have seen over recent seasons.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:34 pm

divas wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:09 am
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Langstaff from York here next season either
I think so, too.

Very nearly signed him on loan last season, but then Maguire got injured so York needed Langstaff available. Ironic.

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sat May 16, 2020 12:41 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:23 pm
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

"Outstanding" goalkeepers don't keep 6 clean sheets in 25 games, or 4 in 33 for Alfreton at this level.

He did have a few good games for us, I re-call Solihull (H) & Blyth (H) where he was very good.

If a goalkeeper looks outstanding in most the matches he played, and drops a few clangers in one game, you don't release him. That would be a knee-jerk reaction.

Connell did drop off after a very good start, but to say he is Northern League standard after a very good season last year in the NPL at Shields? He looked better than Elliott and dug us out a lot more.

That said, football is a matter of opinions. I personally think Alun made the correct call and that the Farsley game wasn't the deciding factor. There are better goalkeepers available (particularly on loan) as we have seen over recent seasons.
How can you say Connell had a good season in the NPL?.He couldn’t get anywhere near the team and that’s why he ended up with us.
Big improvement on both Connell and Elliot needed for next season.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:45 pm

Emdubya wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:41 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

How can you say Connell had a good season in the NPL?.He couldn’t get anywhere near the team and that’s why he ended up with us.
Big improvement on both Connell and Elliot needed for next season.
Because he had a very good 2018/2019 season with South Shields when they made the play-offs in the NPL. Like I said in my post, this was last year.

Shields brought in a very good goalkeeper last summer on loan from Blackpool which is why Connell couldn't get a look in.

But yes, I agree, big improvement needed on both for next season.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat May 16, 2020 12:47 pm

Just checked Langstaff's stats and he's played for Alun at Blyth in the 16/17 season and is a Stockton lad. Fits the profile.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:47 pm
Just checked Langstaff's stats and he's played for Alun at Blyth in the 16/17 season and is a Stockton lad. Fits the profile.
Had a decent record at York in the 2018/2019 season....10 goals in 31 apps....quite limited minutes for 31 appearances.

He hasn't really had much of a look-in this season under Watson.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:05 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Well, I guess it's just as well I didn't call him outstanding then, isn't it.

I called him "competent, if not outstanding". I meant to say "competent, but not outstanding". Meaning OK, but not great.

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 16, 2020 1:10 pm

With regard to Elliot, when we signed him I was told by a well known local goalkeeping coach with ex Darlo connections that he wasn't up to much, would have more bad games than good ones but would plug a gap for the short term.
Then when we signed Connell he said exactly the same, as well as a northern league manager who I know very well saying that he had blagged a career in football.
Yet you ask any Shields fan and they love him!
All opinions i suppose!

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:13 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:05 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Well, I guess it's just as well I didn't call him outstanding then, isn't it.

I called him "competent, if not outstanding". I meant to say "competent, but not outstanding". Meaning OK, but not great.
I read it differently, my apologies.

However, to be fair, the point still stands. I certainly don't think he was better than Connell. Seemed to be beaten by most shots that weren't straight at him, susceptible when coming from crosses and poor 1-on-1. The Farsley game wasn't the straw that broke the camels back.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:30 pm

No need to apologise, I should have been clearer in what I typed - just a little misunderstanding.

Connell initially looked good and there was a bit of a buzz about the FA Cup run which of course he was involved in and made some great saves, and therefor a buzz about him. Initially I thought "how can he not be in the SS first team, he's better than Elliott?" There was a home game where we were 2-1 up, or 3-2 up, I can't remember who against, but he pulled off an incredible point blank save from a header and stopped a certain goal, right in injury time - his stock went further up for me. I thought Elliott wouldn't have stopped that.

But it unravelled a bit after that, the two clangers at Walsall and then he never looked the same to me. A couple more dodgy moments and the next thing Elliott was back in the team but playing well enough to keep him out. If Connell was that great he'd have been straight back in.

For me, overall they had different strengths and weaknesses, but I judge them both about the same - just OK, at this level.

Think they're both Evostik players to be honest, a bit like like Kev Burgess and Nathan Cartman - who everyone inexplicably still wants to bum.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:39 pm

The problem with both of them was Elliott was carrying an injury for months and then Connell kept on missing games because of work commitments. Both were in and out of the side more often than not, which can't have been ideal for them both personally or the side.

Both contributed to a fairly decent team though - especially compared to the half-arsed, pea-hearted, disorganised rabble Tommy brought in - so maybe I shouldn't be so harsh on any of the squad who clearly gave their all.

General feeling seems to be we will looking to do better in a few different areas next season - whenever that will be.

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 16, 2020 5:48 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:No need to apologise, I should have been clearer in what I typed - just a little misunderstanding.

Connell initially looked good and there was a bit of a buzz about the FA Cup run which of course he was involved in and made some great saves, and therefor a buzz about him. Initially I thought "how can he not be in the SS first team, he's better than Elliott?" There was a home game where we were 2-1 up, or 3-2 up, I can't remember who against, but he pulled off an incredible point blank save from a header and stopped a certain goal, right in injury time - his stock went further up for me. I thought Elliott wouldn't have stopped that.

But it unravelled a bit after that, the two clangers at Walsall and then he never looked the same to me. A couple more dodgy moments and the next thing Elliott was back in the team but playing well enough to keep him out. If Connell was that great he'd have been straight back in.

For me, overall they had different strengths and weaknesses, but I judge them both about the same - just OK, at this level.

Think they're both Evostik players to be honest, a bit like like Kev Burgess and Nathan Cartman - who everyone inexplicably still wants to bum.
And Cartman’s just left Farsley. Wait for the first Darlo fan to call for him to be re-signed.

Campbell is light years ahead of him, but I bet you people will still call for Cartman.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Sat May 16, 2020 6:46 pm

Keeper- Loa(Hemmings, Turner etc) or Maybe Sam Russell??

Defender- do think we need an organiser style type, like what Alan white was when he came back, see if someone gets released from poolies Gateshead or others.

Attacker, O neill, Maguire, Langstaff, seem like the favourites from what people have said

Couple wildcard names to throw in Joe Lesley who I think may have been released by Harrogate (probably wrong like) Kurt Willoughby recently at york, James Montgomery from the area, Kaine Felix wonder if Sir Will could have a chat with him, he rinsed us in the home game against Guiseley

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat May 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Sam Russell won’t be back, he’s just signed a new deal down in Grimsby and is quite happy being the number 2/GK coach.

I’d love to see Kaine Felix in the team, he’s a decent player at this level.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat May 16, 2020 10:02 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:No need to apologise, I should have been clearer in what I typed - just a little misunderstanding.

And Cartman’s just left Farsley. Wait for the first Darlo fan to call for him to be re-signed.

Campbell is light years ahead of him, but I bet you people will still call for Cartman.
It's already started on twitter replying to him come back CartsImage Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Darlogramps

Potential new signings

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 16, 2020 10:21 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

It's already started on twitter replying to him come back CartsImage Image

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Cringeworthy.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:32 pm

Where's James Montgomery at the moment? I'd be surprised to see him back at nln level, very good keeper.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sat May 16, 2020 11:16 pm

tdk1 wrote:Where's James Montgomery at the moment? I'd be surprised to see him back at nln level, very good keeper.
I know Connell and Elliott weren’t outstanding, but I draw the line at getting Sunderland ‘keepers from the 1970s.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:59 am

Wasn't the older one Jim and the younger one James? Or is it the other way round?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:45 am

tdk1 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:32 pm
Where's James Montgomery at the moment? I'd be surprised to see him back at nln level, very good keeper.
If you mean the former Gateshead keeper, hes currently at Fylde signed for them last summer from Forest Green.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:55 am

tdk1 wrote:Wasn't the older one Jim and the younger one James? Or is it the other way round?
Older one was Jim, pretty sure James could be at Forest Green Rovers, good keeper but would he want to return to the NLN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk