Potential new signings

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

jjljks
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Potential new signings

Post by jjljks » Thu May 28, 2020 5:51 am

Was it coincidence that Dom Cummings route to Barney took him through Spenny? Obviously he must be giving them advice on who to sign & how to dip into Braď Groves' pockets.

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu May 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:46 pm
I think if we're going to sign a player in the Hopson mould then it will be Jack Lambert.
Absolutely agree, just threw Hopson out there as players who could be linked with us.

Interesting to see that Alun is wanting to go for a couple of CFs, maybe one in the more Campbell mould(Maguire) and then another who is more of a hold up style type but good with the ball, feel free to leave suggestions on who you think wor al is gonna bring in!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:44 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:
I think if we're going to sign a player in the Hopson mould then it will be Jack Lambert.
Absolutely agree, just threw Hopson out there as players who could be linked with us.

Interesting to see that Alun is wanting to go for a couple of CFs, maybe one in the more Campbell mould(Maguire) and then another who is more of a hold up style type but good with the ball, feel free to leave suggestions on who you think wor al is gonna bring in!
Jameson,Tait,Maguire,Felix,Lambert.Very,very long shot for obvious reasons but you never know, stranger things have happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Thu May 28, 2020 6:22 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:
Darlofan97 wrote:

Jameson,Tait,Maguire,Felix,Lambert.Very,very long shot for obvious reasons but you never know, stranger things have happened.

Felix would be an amazing signing but can’t see it. Surprised no one like Boston, Southport or Chester have never tried. Easily one of the best attacking players in the division

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ReeceStyche’sManbun

Post by ReeceStyche’sManbun » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:35 pm

Just noticed that Junior Mondal has been released from Forest Green, Former boro Youth and from Area, wonder if AA worked with him when he was younger, could be a handy player for us with Thomo gone

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:26 pm

ReeceStyche’sManbun wrote:Just noticed that Junior Mondal has been released from Forest Green, Former boro Youth and from Area, wonder if AA worked with him when he was younger, could be a handy player for us with Thomo gone
He was at Boro from 2014 to 2019 so a fair bet AA will have coached him.AA has said previously that he will be waiting to see if any L1 or L2 clubs will be releasing players who would interest him so this lad could be one of them.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 am

Rumours on Twitter that we are in for Nicky Hunt who has just been released by Crewe. 36 year-old who played centre half for Crewe last season and was apparently quite good.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:16 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 am
Rumours on Twitter that we are in for Nicky Hunt who has just been released by Crewe. 36 year-old who played centre half for Crewe last season and was apparently quite good.
If true that would be a great signing as Crewe got promoted, so they must have had a great defence.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:37 am

Maybe not, alun says he doesn't want players who have to travel a long way, depending where he lives, and 36 year old???.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 am

onewayup wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:37 am
Maybe not, alun says he doesn't want players who have to travel a long way, depending where he lives, and 36 year old???.
Remember him from his Bolton days. I have a feeling there was an old footie manager game where he was one of those players classed as "high potential". I wouldn't be put off by age of an extremely experienced ex PL player.

Doesn't really have any strong connections to the north east mind, he wouldn't be someone I'd have clocked as a potential signing - but that doesn't really mean anything!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:01 am

I just can't see it, it doesn't see to fit with alun,s ethos,
But alun,s best placed for decisions regarding the club team.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:53 am

I'd have no qualms about signing Hunt although I really just can't see it.

At this level, considering his quality, I'm not concerned about his age. His experience at the back would be vital and could make a big difference to our defence, especially if we get a solid no nonsense keeper behind him.

Look at James Curtis at Spenny, still a solid player, still getting a contract there, the sort of defender I'd love to see at Darlo, solid, good positioning, puts his foot through it - he's 38!

divas

Post by divas » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:15 pm

The more you think about it the more sense it makes. Alun first and foremost liked his defenders to be good with the ball at their feet. A typical clogger at CB wouldn’t give that option but an experienced RB who had recently converted to CB and done really well who has a good pass on him starts to make sense. Could be a materstroke.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 pm

Also played with Liddle & Hatfield at Accrington, which is maybe where the link is coming from.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:35 pm

See Styche has gone to Buxton
And Stephen Brogan from The Pride Of Teesdale

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited by HarrytheQuaker on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Styche must have close to 20 clubs under his belt now, including 3 in the last 4 months.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:02 pm

18 by my reckoning including loan spells. Had 4 years at Forest Green 2010-2014 but has moved around a lot since.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:29 am

Old Git wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:02 pm
18 by my reckoning including loan spells. Had 4 years at Forest Green 2010-2014 but has moved around a lot since.
"A lot since".... understatement of the year! He had a good half a season with us but not a team player for me.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:41 pm

divas wrote:The more you think about it the more sense it makes. Alun first and foremost liked his defenders to be good with the ball at their feet. A typical clogger at CB wouldn’t give that option but an experienced RB who had recently converted to CB and done really well who has a good pass on him starts to make sense. Could be a materstroke.
Yeh it doesn't sound the worst idea in the world.

Age doesn't matter to me - always good to have a couple of experienced heads in a younger squad.

If Hunt is willing to relocate for a season or two then why not?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:00 pm

I can't say I've followed his career that closely down the years, but I do remember watching him play for Bolton at The Valley about fifteen years ago alongside the likes of Fernando Hierro and Bruno N'Gotty, so he had some pretty decent teammates to potentially learn from back in the day.

I reckon he'd be a great signing.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Wonder how Jonathon Woodgate will fill his time next season? He could fit in as a spare CB if he is still mobile & pick up some tips on how to be a better manager from AA.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:12 pm

jjljks wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:02 pm
Wonder how Jonathon Woodgate will fill his time next season? He could fit in as a spare CB if he is still mobile & pick up some tips on how to be a better manager from AA.
Ha Ha We would be lucky to get 3 games out of him. He would certainly keep our physio Danny busy

Soaky

Post by Soaky » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:32 pm

Is there still no news on what is happening with Holness and whatever happened to Bell?

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:26 am

Connor Simpson has just been released by Preston North End. Local lad and a striker too. Ex Pools though.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:39 am

Jonesy wrote:Connor Simpson has just been released by Preston North End. Local lad and a striker too. Ex Pools though.
Apparently went from Pools to Preston for £50k, 6’5” CF and only 20 yrs of age.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:09 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:39 am
Jonesy wrote:Connor Simpson has just been released by Preston North End. Local lad and a striker too. Ex Pools though.
Apparently went from Pools to Preston for £50k, 6’5” CF and only 20 yrs of age.

Would potentially be a great signing but I doubt he will drop as low as NLN level.

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:51 pm

[/quote]
Would potentially be a great signing but I doubt he will drop as low as NLN level.
[/quote]
I understand where you're coming from but in the ensuing economic climate that is expected to impact on the EFL, I'm not so sure how much control Connor Simpson will have to maintain a career at the level he has been used to. He looked a good prospect as an 18 year-old at Hartlepool, resulting in a £50k move to Preston when Hartlepool were selling everyone they could raise a fee from. However, Simpson seems to have struggled to develop sufficiently to establish himself as an EFL player. Simpson only made 1 appearance for Preston in 2017-18 before going out on loan to Lancaster and Hyde. In January 2019 he went on loan to Carlisle and only made 1 start and 7 sub appearances in 4 months. Last September he went to Accrington on a season-long loan and only made 1 start and 1 sub appearance in over 6 months (scoring a single goal). He has still got time on his side to develop but would need to persuade an EFL or NL club to give him that opportunity, which might not be that easy under the circumstances. A spell at somewhere like Darlo might be just what he needs to re-start his development. Certainly Mark Beck didn’t regret dropping down to our level. Simpson would definitely provide something we currently don't.

I would expect Simpson would welcome an offer from his previous employer but that would depend on whether Dave Challinor would be in the market for that type of player.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 pm

Any chance of a summer signing soon or just some teasers to keep me going. Missing my football fix. :crazy: :crazy:

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Not really. Especially if most of our targets are at York, whose season may not be over until mid-August

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:45 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Not really. Especially if most of our targets are at York, whose season may not be over until mid-August
We have had links with Alex Pattison, Adam Wrightson and Nicky Hunt but nothing forthcoming as yet so not sure where we stand with these 3.