One chairman's view

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Alfie
Team Supported: Darlington

One chairman's view

Post by Alfie » Tue May 05, 2020 7:11 am

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co. ... -hunter-3/

A very pessimistic view of when non league will restart.

divas

Re: One chairman's view

Post by divas » Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 am

You say pessimistic I say realistic

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 05, 2020 7:31 am

divas wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 am
You say pessimistic I say realistic
Beat me to it

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 05, 2020 7:31 am

How on earth can he only charge £99 for a ST at NL level? They must be losing a shed load of money & they were in the promotion race at one time.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 05, 2020 7:57 am

Well he has been running the club for 21 years so I reckon he is quite happy funding them each season. Quick glance at their financial position and they seem in a great place, I presume he is another one of those good owners with loads of cash.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 05, 2020 8:08 am

One of the better reads on football I’ve read since the start of this crisis.

It seems as if he’s had a belly full of authority procrastination and dither.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue May 05, 2020 8:09 am

Possibly the most pragmatic and sensible thing I’ve read during the whole pandemic.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Tue May 05, 2020 8:21 am

Alfie wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:11 am
https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co. ... -hunter-3/

A very pessimistic view of when non league will restart.
Totally realistic. It would not surprise me at all if there is no football at all next season from National league level down.

There are bigger issues for us all to worry about.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue May 05, 2020 8:25 am

No mention of fans raising funds for the club like we're doing.

GrassrootsMatt

Post by GrassrootsMatt » Tue May 05, 2020 8:36 am

It's quite refreshing to hear a bit of honesty and realism from someone with in the game isn't it?

He may well end up being wrong of course, but I think that will be more down to how this pandemic goes
Come on Darlo!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue May 05, 2020 9:11 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:31 am
How on earth can he only charge £99 for a ST at NL level? They must be losing a shed load of money & they were in the promotion race at one time.
Not for one moment saying it’s a sustainable venture without the chairman. But they are fairly well subsidised by rental income from Arsenal Women’s and Arsenal Reserves teams, added to that they have a 4G pitch on site to rent out. They have a really good little ground at Meadow Park.

Crowds wise they have a huge task on their hands. Boreham Wood is traditionally a small town, it’s become pure commuter territory which means it’s flooded with people not from the area who either have another team already or many of whom have the money to go and watch the likes of Watford or Arsenal in the prem both of who are only 15 minutes away. So how do you tempt those fans down to watch you for the first time? Make the prices so cheap it’s worth it. Tbh my partners family live around that area and I considered buying one because for £99 even if I only actually go and watch half the games I’m quids in.

On his view of the situation, I can only sadly agree with him, atm it’s hard to see football returning to non league before 2021.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Tue May 05, 2020 9:22 am

In one game last season they had a crowd of 407, which included 130 away fans and just 46 home pay-on-the-day customers and the chairman went apeshit about it. He has questioned why he bothers at all when the support is just not there. But they do charge adults £20 on the day so they cash in on the bigger away followings.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 05, 2020 10:56 am

Can’t imagine Singh writing a long piece like this, and I have a good imagination.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

JE93

Post by JE93 » Tue May 05, 2020 11:43 am

Just to add our own CEO's view. Very good take on everything from DJ on the club website: https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/news/dj-article

Good to hear positive discussions have happened regarding the rest of the squad. And hopefully more positive news to come in the coming days.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm

It sounds like we are in a better position that most, generally speaking.

Pleased to hear that contract discussions are in the process, with a clause that protects the club in the sense that the terms can be re-visited in the event that the budget is not as expected.

I think at the very least we require new contracts for our most valuable assets, such as Donawa, Wheatley & Storey. Although I think to be honest with what is going on at the moment, with all the uncertainty, I would not have been surprised or disappointed to hear that all contract negotiations had been placed on hold.

It's a positive that the club feels like it is in a position to offer new contracts and, at the same time, safeguard itself.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 05, 2020 12:24 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... pfa-to-act

An interesting piece by Tranmere's chairman - not directly relevant to us as a semi-pro team, but highlighting some of the problems facing EFL teams.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm

Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Pleased to hear that contract discussions are in the process, with a clause that protects the club in the sense that the terms can be re-visited in the event that the budget is not as expected.

I think at the very least we require new contracts for our most valuable assets, such as Donawa, Wheatley & Storey. Although I think to be honest with what is going on at the moment, with all the uncertainty, I would not have been surprised or disappointed to hear that all contract negotiations had been placed on hold.

It's a positive that the club feels like it is in a position to offer new contracts and, at the same time, safeguard itself.

Agree it is encouraging that we can do this but it works both ways. Some players must be wondering if they are going to have a future in the game. We want to hold on to our best assets but we are also providing some stability to some of our players.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue May 05, 2020 1:48 pm

I’m a bit disappointed by the size of D.J’s back garden - to be honest. Unless there’s more round the side.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

eek

Post by eek » Tue May 05, 2020 1:54 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:24 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... pfa-to-act

An interesting piece by Tranmere's chairman - not directly relevant to us as a semi-pro team, but highlighting some of the problems facing EFL teams.
This bit seems especially worthwhile repeating
In my view most clubs – particularly those in neither a promotion nor relegation battle – will allow contracts to expire regardless. If there is a prospect of completing the season during the summer, the likely consequence is weakened sides bolstered with youth players to keep costs as low as possible. If this happens, the idea that playing the season to a conclusion protects the integrity of the sporting competition is, frankly, illusory.
For a lot of clubs (probably 1/3 to 1/2 of most leagues) there is little incentive continuing the season and doing so will make a mockery of it.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue May 05, 2020 1:58 pm

Personally, I think he's spot on.

I think I've already said on here that I wouldn't be shocked if another ball isn't kicked in 2020 and I think for as long as supporters are locked out of stadiums football should not resume at all, including the Premier League and EFL.
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:25 am
No mention of fans raising funds for the club like we're doing.
And what's that got to do with the price of cheese?
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:11 pm

Old Git wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 pm
Darlofan97 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:01 pm

Agree it is encouraging that we can do this but it works both ways. Some players must be wondering if they are going to have a future in the game. We want to hold on to our best assets but we are also providing some stability to some of our players.
I agree massively.

There will be some players grateful they are getting a contract next season given the level of uncertainty (not on performance, the majority have been great all season).

There will be some that we need to get on a contract as they offer possible sell-on value.....whenever clubs are in a position to buy!

There is a balancing act, which is why I guess the club is looking after itself with a re-negotiation clause.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue May 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Not quite sure when the chairman of Boreham Wood ever expects to play football again. The risk to players will never be gone. If, and that's a big if, we have a vaccine, that will go to the elderly and vulnerable first, just like the flu jab. You can't play football without risk, players are at risk of dementia everytime they head they ball, and career ending injuries everytime they step onto the pitch.

It's over long and a bit of a ramble. What happens if no vaccine is developed? We will have to learn to deal with risk and understand the likelhood of a fit, healthy young footballer contracting and dying from coronovirus. Which I suspect is smaller than the risk of suffering a serious head injury, something he was happy to expose his players to for the past 21 years.

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue May 05, 2020 2:31 pm

You can't play football without risk, players are at risk of dementia everytime they head they ball, and career ending injuries everytime they step onto the pitch.
Yes, but there is now a real risk that they could catch or transmit a deadly virus, are you happy for Darlo to play a Russian Roulette with their players as well?
Which I suspect is smaller than the risk of suffering a serious head injury, something he was happy to expose his players to for the past 21 years
That has been the case across the board for well over a century and we are all happy to allow players to continue to be exposed to that risk aren't we?

If there's no vaccine developed social distancing could well be with us for a long time to come.
love it! wrote:Considering we are Darlington 1883 I'm happy that we are named correctly

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue May 05, 2020 3:31 pm

quaker4life wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:31 pm
You can't play football without risk, players are at risk of dementia everytime they head they ball, and career ending injuries everytime they step onto the pitch.
Yes, but there is now a real risk that they could catch or transmit a deadly virus, are you happy for Darlo to play a Russian Roulette with their players as well?
Which I suspect is smaller than the risk of suffering a serious head injury, something he was happy to expose his players to for the past 21 years
That has been the case across the board for well over a century and we are all happy to allow players to continue to be exposed to that risk aren't we?

If there's no vaccine developed social distancing could well be with us for a long time to come.
If you are happy to play football at any time then you are happy to play russian roulette with player's health, you can't take the moral high ground. Contact sports are dangerous for both sides. It would be interesting to know the risk of death from coronvirus of a fit, healthy man in his 20s with no underlying health conditions, and the risk of serious head injury for the same player.

Lets hope a vaccine is found, but if it isn't then you are going to have to socially distance forever, or you are going to have to catch cornovirus sooner or later, its as simple as that.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Tue May 05, 2020 4:25 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:31 pm

It would be interesting to know the risk of death from coronvirus of a fit, healthy man in his 20s with no underlying health conditions, and the risk of serious head injury for the same player.

You can't of course transmit head injuries to vulnerable or elderly friends and relatives who are at a higher risk of mortality, unlike covid-19.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue May 05, 2020 4:48 pm

At least the Chairmen are being more realistic than Gordon Taylor & PFA. Some bonkers ideas spouted about not playing 45 minute halves, playing 92 games before August even behind closed doors or in Perth, Australia!
Next he'll suggest playing 5 a side on full pitch so they can keep social dustancing😱

quaker4life

Post by quaker4life » Tue May 05, 2020 4:48 pm

Yarblockos wrote:

If you are happy to play football at any time then you are happy to play russian roulette with player's health, you can't take the moral high ground. Contact sports are dangerous for both sides. It would be interesting to know the risk of death from coronvirus of a fit, healthy man in his 20s with no underlying health conditions, and the risk of serious head injury for the same player.

Lets hope a vaccine is found, but if it isn't then you are going to have to socially distance forever, or you are going to have to catch cornovirus sooner or later, its as simple as that.
But COVID-19 is not something just limited to football is it? We're not talking about injuries from contact sports we're talking about a virus here which is killing people by the thousands. Even without supporters at grounds it is still a large gathering of people in a confined space, lets say for arguments sake you have two teams with 11 players and 6 subs 17 on each side that's 34 people straight away. And then you have two managers, two assistant managers and two physios one on each side and you're on 40 people and that's not including the various other staff who may be there and also even with out supporters present there will still be an issue of policing and emergency services, how do you manage that whilst sticking to government guidelines which forbid large gatherings?

Is a football match really a necessary use of NHS and Police resources during a pandemic? What if a player gets injured and requires hospital treatment etc? If the PL and EFL are to resume you than have the issues of people turning up at venues and people flouting social distancing measures to go round each others houses and watch it on TV.

I honestly don't see how it can resume, as you say let's hope they find a vaccine soon.

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Tue May 05, 2020 5:51 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:25 pm
Yarblockos wrote:

It would be interesting to know the risk of death from coronvirus of a fit, healthy man in his 20s with no underlying health conditions, and the risk of serious head injury for the same player.

You can't of course transmit head injuries to vulnerable or elderly friends and relatives who are at a higher risk of mortality, unlike covid-19.
Clearly you have to stay away from elderly friends and relatives if you are playing professional football.

How long are you suspending football for? When and how does the threat of contracting covid go away?

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Tue May 05, 2020 6:44 pm

Yarblockos wrote:
al_quaker wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 4:25 pm
Yarblockos wrote:

Clearly you have to stay away from elderly friends and relatives if you are playing professional football.

How long are you suspending football for? When and how does the threat of contracting covid go away?
Trouble is, as soon as someone ends up in hospital having caught COVID-19 at a match, be it a player,manager or whoever, there’ll be bedlam.

The comparisons you make with head injuries are poor for two reasons. 1) As al_quaker says, you cannot pass on a head injury and 2) we have clear treatments for head injuries and so on. As of now we don’t have a vaccine for COVID-19.

But the wider point of “How long do you leave it?” is very fair. At the first point, there’ll be nothing until medical advice from the Government allows it.

However football is an industry. There’s too many sanctimonious people saying “Football doesn’t matter compared you people’s lives” which is too simplistic, as football is a huge part of people’s lives. There are thousands of people whose livelihoods depends on football. Football is how they pay their bills.

There’s also the cultural impact. Clubs are a huge part of the cultural fabric of thousands of communities across the country.

And until a vaccine arrives, at some point a judgement needs to be made as to when playing with the potential of transmitting COVID-19 is an acceptable risk. We can’t be in this holding pattern indefinitely.

And that’s just one example. It’s what the Governnment is weighing up right now. How do you keep businesses and industries going, knowing full well more people are likely to die if you loosen restrictions.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Tue May 05, 2020 7:20 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:44 pm
We can’t be in this holding pattern indefinitely.

And that’s just one example. It’s what the Governnment is weighing up right now. How do you keep businesses and industries going, knowing full well more people are likely to die if you loosen restrictions.
Thats what annoys me when people demand answers on ending lockdown, why aren't we doing this, what aren't we doing that etc.
Its probably one of the hardest decisions for anyone to make as no matter what decision is made there will be people complaining with the benefit of hindsight.
With regard to football, there will come a point where a gamble has to be taken and we try and get back to some sort of normality. If that means delaying the start of the season until winter then so be it.