Omar Holness

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

darlobaz791
Team Supported: Darlington

Omar Holness

Post by darlobaz791 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:41 pm

Hearing he won’t be with us next season. No contract renewal.

Darlo_Pete

Re: Omar Holness

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Sorry to hear this news, Omar was a more than decent player & he chipped in with a few crucial goals. But I guess he may have been on a decent wage which we probably couldn't match next season or just as importantly we probably couldn't afford.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:04 pm

If true a pity because he is a decent player and possibly should have had more game time. Will always remember his goal at Walsall and wish him well.
We do have plenty of options in midfield with Hatfield Wheatley Atkinson Reid and possibly Lambert.

quakerste

Post by quakerste » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:10 pm

I hope this isn't true Omar always gave 100%, chipped in with a few goals and his overall game was improving.

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Omar Holness

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm

Shame if true, good player, thought we might make something on him to a higher level after Walsall.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Totally disagree with that decision. Very sad to see him go. I think he’s capable of playing at a higher level. Hope it doesn’t come back to bite us on the backside.

Chris Elliott gone also, which feels harsh. On a lighter note, Ainge is gone.

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:42 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 pm
Sorry to hear this news, Omar was a more than decent player & he chipped in with a few crucial goals. But I guess he may have been on a decent wage which we probably couldn't match next season or just as importantly we probably couldn't afford.
It’s my understanding he was on the lower end of the wage spectrum

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:47 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:42 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 pm
It’s my understanding he was on the lower end of the wage spectrum
If that's the case, then this decision doesn't make sense to me, but hey I'm not the manager.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:02 pm

Whilst I quite like Holness, that's football and what the managers role is about.

Without understanding finances, budget and other possible signings etc. then hard to even say whether good decision or bad, time will tell.

Lets be honest if we had to say increase Hatfield's wage and reduce the squad and this was AA decision then I wouldn't be against it.

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:04 pm

Holness made a very good contribution in the games he did play, no doubt, and he would also be one that I would have retained.

However, I think we have all sussed now that Alun likes his own players. The majority of his signings have been those he has worked with previously, whether at Blyth or Boro. He will look to do the same when it comes to pre-season (whenever that will be).

With Atkinson coming back fit for pre-season and Omar probably not getting the game-time he deserved last season, the writing is on the wall for both parties.

We have to trust Alun's judgement in getting us in to the top 7, he did so at Blyth with his own squad. I'm also confident that better players will replace those that depart, unfortunately the same couldn't be said for the summer before he came in.....

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:09 pm

Totally trust Alun’s judgement but I’d say based on the season that’s just gone he was deserving of his starting place and we looked a better team with him in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri May 01, 2020 11:22 am

Tough call if true but if it was necessary to keep Hatfield and Wheatley for example then probably the right call given the other options in the squad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Beano

Post by Beano » Fri May 01, 2020 12:51 pm

Spyman wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:22 am
Tough call if true but if it was necessary to keep Hatfield and Wheatley for example then probably the right call given the other options in the squad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Exactly this.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:14 pm

I'm a big fan of omar's, be very sorry to see him go. A good player, seems a really good guy too, and bought into what the club is about. Shame if true.

TKOA

Post by TKOA » Fri May 01, 2020 4:44 pm

Gutted to see him leave thought he might have ended up in a higher league and even receive a transfer fee but as stated several times above Alun knows best. Looking forward to next season (whenever it may be!)

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Fri May 01, 2020 7:55 pm

I don't think Alun ever fancied him - I think I lot of these players were pushed in by previous FD Woolnough.
I do think Omar was a decent player - seemed a really nice guy off the pitch as well - seemed to really get into the football club and the fans.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Fri May 01, 2020 8:07 pm

The good old “ I’ve heard “ strikes again.
Think I ‘ll wait till the club say something.

Darlogramps

Omar Holness

Post by Darlogramps » Fri May 01, 2020 11:32 pm

PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I don't think Alun ever fancied him - I think I lot of these players were pushed in by previous FD Woolnough.
I do think Omar was a decent player - seemed a really nice guy off the pitch as well - seemed to really get into the football club and the fans.
I think you’ve got it spot on. Bascome’s already gone and Holness may well be following him.

Was also pretty clear there was animosity between Woolnough and other people at the club at the time of his departure.

I see Woolnough has become director of football at Durham City, who’ve just appointed Didier Agathe as their new boss.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat May 02, 2020 6:12 am

Darlogramps wrote:
PierremontQuaker03 wrote:I don't think Alun ever fancied him - I think I lot of these players were pushed in by previous FD Woolnough.
I think you’ve got it spot on. Bascome’s already gone and Holness may well be following him.

Was also pretty clear there was animosity between Woolnough and other people at the club at the time of his departure.

I see Woolnough has become director of football at Durham City, who’ve just appointed Didier Agathe as their new boss.
Cannot understand what is going on at Durham City bearing in mind the level they are at.Where exactly do they play and what sort of fan base do they have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

loan_star

Post by loan_star » Sat May 02, 2020 9:15 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:32 pm

Just hope Donawa is tied down and if he does move on we can get something for him!!

darlobaz791

Post by darlobaz791 » Sat May 02, 2020 10:53 am

loan_star wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:15 am
Darlogramps wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:32 pm

Just hope Donawa is tied down and if he does move on we can get something for him!!
We have the option of a second year for Justin so even if he does move on he will be under contract.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat May 02, 2020 3:25 pm

Holness & Bascombe filled a hole when injuries had ravaged the squad and wish them both well in their future career, however they were at best only utility players. Donawa is a more gifted player & could turn a game so would want him in the squad for next season. Certainly when the 3 of them were away on international duty, AA looked very short of options. Wonder if Woolnough will bring the pair of them into the Durham squad?

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:29 pm

jjljks wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 3:25 pm
Holness & Bascombe filled a hole when injuries had ravaged the squad and wish them both well in their future career, however they were at best only utility players. Donawa is a more gifted player & could turn a game so would want him in the squad for next season. Certainly when the 3 of them were away on international duty, AA looked very short of options. Wonder if Woolnough will bring the pair of them into the Durham squad?
Holness was and is more than a utility player. I think his minutes were x4 that of Bascome so you can't put them in the same bracket.

He never went on international duty across last season either.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sat May 02, 2020 7:13 pm

jjljks wrote:
Not true. We looked at out best when we had Holness, Hatfield and Wheatley in the middle.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sat May 02, 2020 8:08 pm

darlo2001uk wrote:
jjljks wrote:
Not true. We looked at out best when we had Holness, Hatfield and Wheatley in the middle.
Totally agree Holness is a great asset to the team and IF true he will be missed

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Sun May 03, 2020 12:16 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:12 am
Darlogramps wrote:

Cannot understand what is going on at Durham City bearing in mind the level they are at.Where exactly do they play and what sort of fan base do they have?

I'm sure they were rock bottom of northern league two and ground sharing with consett last season.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

en passant

Post by en passant » Sun May 03, 2020 8:41 am

darlo2001uk wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:13 pm
jjljks wrote:
I'm glad to see someone else say this. Some of the other comments seem to suggest that he only got game time when others were not available would vastly underplay his effect on games. There were times, when others were placed in the team, that we looked a lot less effective. One of the great games, that I saw, was the home game against Chester, when we couldn't play our best strike force, but Omar made up for that with a cracking opener, followed up with a cute Donawa finish. I can see the thinking that we would expect Atkinson to be available next season, possible making Omar surplus, but didn't we expect this to be the case last season? And it is also worth observing that whilst a midfield of Hatfield, Wheatley, and Atkinson should work well, it doesn't always follow that this is the best collective. Sometimes things just work, and I feel that, because of circumstances last year, Omar got his chance and it just worked. It would be hard to throw that away.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:22 am

I thought Omar was getting better each time he played and a midfield 3 alongside Wheatley and Hatfield would be as good as anything in our league so disappointing if he goes.Could be that AA prefers a different formation in a 442 and deems Omar surplus as we still have Reid and Atkinson.
Anyway, total faith in AA with his recruitment policy and whatever decision he makes is fine by me and plenty of others looking at the £45k that has already been raised.It's going to be an interesting couple of months with comings and goings that's for sure, roll on next season.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:40 am

It appears that the FA have written to football clubs and explained that clubs can amend any new playing contracts for the 2020/2021 season to reflect that the contract will commence “on the first league or cup match for the club’s first-team for the 2020/2021 season”.

This means that clubs can start retaining players without the commitment of paying them until football re-starts.

I think that’s quite handy for us given the majority of our players are out of contract and we have options on a number of players.

However, I do think that there will be a reluctance from football clubs to start tying themselves in to contracts for next season when nobody quite knows how much the market & economy will shrink by, and how quickly it will recover.

You would probably retain your most valuable assets but would struggle to justify retaining a full squad in this climate.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun May 03, 2020 11:01 am

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:22 am
I thought Omar was getting better each time he played and a midfield 3 alongside Wheatley and Hatfield would be as good as anything in our league so disappointing if he goes.Could be that AA prefers a different formation in a 442 and deems Omar surplus as we still have Reid and Atkinson.
Anyway, total faith in AA with his recruitment policy and whatever decision he makes is fine by me and plenty of others looking at the £45k that has already been raised.It's going to be an interesting couple of months with comings and goings that's for sure, roll on next season.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
We potentially have a surplus of midfielders. If - and we don't know - Trotman comes back then Hedley slots back into the midfield pool as that is his true position. We also signed Lambert at the back end of the season, and still have Reid.

However, I would go with Holness, Wheatley and Hatfield all day long.