Omar Holness

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlofan97
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Omar Holness

Post by Darlofan97 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:03 am

We re-signed Lambert on loan, and he is now back at Scunthorpe.

I also highly doubt Trotman will be here next season.

darlo2001uk

Post by darlo2001uk » Sun May 03, 2020 11:13 am

Darlofan97 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:03 am
We re-signed Lambert on loan, and he is now back at Scunthorpe.
OK - I didn't realise that.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 03, 2020 11:19 am

So the challenge for Holness for me would be on what formation we would be playing also.

If it was 4-5-1 then he is quite decent in that behind the striker role, he scores at a decent rate and has good energy, I actually feel he is getting stronger the longer he is with us.

If we managed to get another striker alongside Campbell, with Wheatley and Hatfield in a 4-4-2 then he would probably be more squad player at the point.

So the challenge AA has is that he only has so much budget, which he probably doesn't know what exactly that is as yet. This will mean that currently no contract offer can be made to Holness but doesn't actually mean he wouldn't get one at some point.

The problem that causes for DFC and Holness is that we might lose a player we possibly would like to keep and for Holness this is his job in theory and he may need to make a decision on an offer before we can give him an offer.

Anyhow this is just the nature of football, you don't always get what you think is right or what you want.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun May 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Ideally I think we have two formations, both outlined above.

Problem is, Campbell struggles in a 4-5-1 unless Reid plays as the advanced midfielder. That blocks Holness' path in a 4-5-1.

In a 4-4-2 he is behind Wheatley and Hatfield.

So unless we can bring in a centre forward who can play as a loan striker with less physical support, Holness is always going to find himself on the fringes.

I'm not suggesting we replace Campbell, by the way, just that a different option may work in certain cases.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun May 03, 2020 3:29 pm

Spyman wrote:Ideally I think we have two formations, both outlined above.

Problem is, Campbell struggles in a 4-5-1 unless Reid plays as the advanced midfielder. That blocks Holness' path in a 4-5-1.

So unless we can bring in a centre forward who can play as a loan striker with less physical support, Holness is always going to find himself on the fringes.

I'm not suggesting we replace Campbell, by the way, just that a different option may work in certain cases.

Campbell doesn't struggle at all he maybe just had a bad day..What's this comment based on??

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun May 03, 2020 3:55 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Campbell doesn't struggle at all he maybe just had a bad day..What's this comment based on??

Struggle is perhaps the wrong word, but he's clearly more effective with a physical presence alongside him to create more space for him to work in.

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sun May 03, 2020 4:24 pm

To be honest we have all pointed out that without a strike partner and since O'Neill was recalled we have struggled slightly breaking teams down or put the ball into the net when on top.

How to resolve that by adding another striker but not breaking what the Wheatley, Hatfield and Holness give us is AA challenge. Maybe Campbell goes back to being wide in a front three.

Maybe we don't keep all the players we have now and AA has other/bigger challenges.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun May 03, 2020 4:35 pm

Spyman wrote:
HarrytheQuaker wrote:

Struggle is perhaps the wrong word, but he's clearly more effective with a physical presence alongside him to create more space for him to work in.

DFCAnth

Post by DFCAnth » Tue May 19, 2020 11:48 am

Looks like Holness has been offered a new deal then reading the recent behind the scenes updates from the club.

If he leaves it will likely be due to reduced terms or starting 11 assurances not being given. I thought this would be the case rather than us not wanting to keep him when this was originally rumoured.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:Hearing he won’t be with us next season. No contract renewal.
Where did you hear this??

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Tue May 19, 2020 12:56 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm
darlobaz791 wrote:Hearing he won’t be with us next season. No contract renewal.
Where did you hear this??

From Omar or someone close to him at the time.

Beano

Post by Beano » Tue May 19, 2020 3:10 pm

Today’s official update suggests that all players, bar Chris Elliott, were offered fresh terms.

One can only assume this includes Omar as the update intimated exactly that.

tdk1

Post by tdk1 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:45 pm

Maybe he's gone to try to get a higher level club - I seem to remember he did similar last summer, then returned late in the summer