Favourite ever Easter fixture

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Mister e
Team Supported: Darlington

Favourite ever Easter fixture

Post by Mister e » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:26 pm

Hi everyone just wondering at this time of year and at a loose end wondering what other fans think was their favourite game of the Easter period of all time for me it as to be the Hartlepool derby at feethams in 1982 2-1 down at half time before Alan Walsh struck that magnificent four goal salvo to lead us to a 5-2 victory. Also do any of our older supporters remember Easter week in 1972 we played barrow at feethams on the Monday leading up to Easter losing 0-1 in April snow we then lost 0-1 at home to Scunthorpe United on good Friday yet incredibly played our third home game in a week and our second in twenty four hours on Easter Saturday securing a 4-0 victory over Workington.

Old Git

Re: Favourite ever Easter fixture

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:06 pm

I can remember playing Scunthorpe and Workington on successive days. If memory serves me well I think the pitch was in a bad state for the Workington match and there were puddles on the surface. Thankfully the game went ahead and we got the victory. If I remember correctly one of my favourite players of that time Geoff Barker scored one of our goals.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:53 pm

Old Git wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:06 pm
I can remember playing Scunthorpe and Workington on successive days. If memory serves me well I think the pitch was in a bad state for the Workington match and there were puddles on the surface. Thankfully the game went ahead and we got the victory. If I remember correctly one of my favourite players of that time Geoff Barker scored one of our goals.
That's a cracking memory o.g your spot on about the puddles we were 3-0 up after about 12 minutes and I'm sure two Workington back passes held up in those puddles I think it was Geoff Barker who benefitted from the first slip up and Colin Sinclair from the second unforced error.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Mister e wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:53 pm
Old Git wrote:
That's a cracking memory o.g your spot on about the puddles we were 3-0 up after about 12 minutes and I'm sure two Workington back passes held up in those puddles I think it was Geoff Barker who benefitted from the first slip up and Colin Sinclair from the second unforced error.
[/

Funny how some things from years ago stick in the memory and I can hardly remember what happened last week.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:00 pm

Thinking about Scunthorpe games, did young Kevin Keegan ever grace Feethams?

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:03 pm

jjljks wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:00 pm
Thinking about Scunthorpe games, did young Kevin Keegan ever grace Feethams?
He may well have played in that good Friday game unfortunately I don't have the match day programme anymore to confirm this.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:01 pm

Didn't Kevin Keegan play at Feethams when Laurie McMenemy brought Southampton to Feethams for that fundraiser?

Maurice_Peddelty

Post by Maurice_Peddelty » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:00 am

Mister e wrote:
Old Git wrote:
I remember that match also - the puddles were unforgettable. It would never be permitted these days, thankfully. We actually won 4-0. Norman Lees, Geoff Barker and the great Alan Harding (2) were the scorers. Interestingly were didn't play a sub. I'm guessing there were only 11 fit players following the previous day's exertions at Scunthorpe. Looking at Frank Tweddle's 'Definitive Darlington FC', Alan Sproates was subbed at Scunny and didn't play against Workington (replaced by my namesake Maurice Peddelty). Mick Wright also didn't play against Workington after playing at Scunny - again presumably injured.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:18 am

Darlo_lad

Post by Darlo_lad » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:36 am

Darlo 4 Bury 0 1996. Promotion rivals. Cracking game, Bury could have sealed promotion I think if they'd won.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:06 am

Darlo_lad wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:36 am
Darlo 4 Bury 0 1996. Promotion rivals. Cracking game, Bury could have sealed promotion I think if they'd won.
Yes I remember that match very well for one event. We were well ahead & one of our players went down with an injury. When the game re-started the Bury player wanted to throw it to a team mate. Their manager went berserk ran down the touchline & berated his player. The player threw the ball back to a Darlo player & then was immediately substituted.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am

Mister e wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:26 pm
Hi everyone just wondering at this time of year and at a loose end wondering what other fans think was their favourite game of the Easter period of all time for me it as to be the Hartlepool derby at feethams in 1982 2-1 down at half time before Alan Walsh struck that magnificent four goal salvo to lead us to a 5-2 victory. ....
If I remember corrrectly, that was a Good Friday evening game. Newcastle had played away at Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the day and loads of Darlo Mags arrived during game and Hartlepool got battered after the game

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:47 am

Mister e wrote:
Hi everyone just wondering at this time of year and at a loose end wondering what other fans think was their favourite game of the Easter period of all time for me it as to be the Hartlepool derby at feethams in 1982 2-1 down at half time before Alan Walsh struck that magnificent four goal salvo to lead us to a 5-2 victory. Also do any of our older supporters remember Easter week in 1972 we played barrow at feethams on the Monday leading up to Easter losing 0-1 in April snow we then lost 0-1 at home to Scunthorpe United on good Friday yet incredibly played our third home game in a week and our second in twenty four hours on Easter Saturday securing a 4-0 victory over Workington.
I went to the Hartlepool game. The usual high hopes of getting one over on the old rivals were dashed early on when we went 2-0 down and seemed to be all over the place. But steadily the team worked their way back into the game and a superb headed goal from McLean that rocket into the net just before half time gave them the boost they needed for the second half. Then Walsh took over and Pools were always under the cosh. Four goals, including one penalty. Went home walking on air.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:07 am

Have got a sneaking suspicion that it might have been just after the Easter weekend, but the 5-1 tonking of Cheltenham en route to the GMVC title in 1990 was as good a Darlo performance as any I've ever seen.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Maurice_Peddelty wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:00 am
Mister e wrote:
Old Git wrote:
I remember that match also - the puddles were unforgettable. It would never be permitted these days, thankfully. We actually won 4-0. Norman Lees, Geoff Barker and the great Alan Harding (2) were the scorers. Interestingly were didn't play a sub. I'm guessing there were only 11 fit players following the previous day's exertions at Scunthorpe. Looking at Frank Tweddle's 'Definitive Darlington FC', Alan Sproates was subbed at Scunny and didn't play against Workington (replaced by my namesake Maurice Peddelty). Mick Wright also didn't play against Workington after playing at Scunny - again presumably injured.
In the sands of time I must have been getting Alan Harding and Sinclair mixed up however we were definitely at home to Scunthorpe United on the previous day which was good Friday and unusual in the fact we had three games at feethams in less than a week.

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:02 pm

spen666 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am
Mister e wrote:
Hi everyone just wondering at this time of year and at a loose end wondering what other fans think was their favourite game of the Easter period of all time for me it as to be the Hartlepool derby at feethams in 1982 2-1 down at half time before Alan Walsh struck that magnificent four goal salvo to lead us to a 5-2 victory. ....
If I remember corrrectly, that was a Good Friday evening game. Newcastle had played away at Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the day and loads of Darlo Mags arrived during game and Hartlepool got battered after the game
No the Hartlepool derby where walshy scored the four goals was definitely Easter Monday 1982 I'm sure of it I do remember the good Friday game your referring to though it was 1977 I to remember the small group of Hartlepool fans taking up residence in the polam end only to be chased out of feethams by a mob of Darlington's finest about ten minutes after kick off. That was also back in the days when crows funfair used to pitch up opposite the old bus station. After a 3-1 Darlington victory a few of our hooligans went and tried to pick a fight with the fairground lads that day with quite a few realising that they had bit off more than they could chew. Strange memories admittedly the world seemed so surreal that day.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:28 pm

Mister e wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:02 pm
spen666 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:27 am
Mister e wrote:
No the Hartlepool derby where walshy scored the four goals was definitely Easter Monday 1982 I'm sure of it I do remember the good Friday game your referring to though it was 1977 I to remember the small group of Hartlepool fans taking up residence in the polam end only to be chased out of feethams by a mob of Darlington's finest about ten minutes after kick off. That was also back in the days when crows funfair used to pitch up opposite the old bus station. After a 3-1 Darlington victory a few of our hooligans went and tried to pick a fight with the fairground lads that day with quite a few realising that they had bit off more than they could chew. Strange memories admittedly the world seemed so surreal that day.

The 5-2 was that the one where the next day the Echo ran an article claiming Darlingtons gave crap support. Ran the Headline "Silent Night" on the article about fans.

It may well have been Easter Monday the game I was thinking of Newcastle definitely played at Sheff Wed that same day

Mister e

Post by Mister e » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:35 pm

Yes that makes more sense the good Friday fixture was played on an afternoon Malcolm poskett giving Hartlepool an early lead which sparked the trouble. The Easter Monday game which Walsh starred in was played on.an evening hence probably the returning darlo mags from Sheffield.