Former players

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

EDJOHNS
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Former players

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:15 am

banktopp wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:10 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:02 pm
Alan Sproates
Can't list Alan Sproates without mentioning his midfield partner Yogi.
The tough tackling, some say murderous tackling Ray Yeoman, allowed Sproates more cultured approach to flourish.
Yogi was also a truly lovely man to talk to. Nothing like Yogi the player.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:17 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:23 pm
No way Burn gets in over Liddle. No way.
Bloody hell Gramps. We agree on something.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:20 am

joejaques wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:45 pm
Wiseacre wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:24 pm
Good to see Brian Conlon and Alan Sproates. Getting a mention - great Quakers both. I'd pick a defender and the original Joe Jacques was as good as anyone we've had, of a more recent vintage Phil Lloyd
Nice to see someone on here agreeing with me. Doesn't happen that often. :lol: :roll:
I would have had no problem at all with JJ being number 1 along with a couple of others from that time such as little Les.
I did not go for JJ simply because I knew someone else would name him, and the fact I still to this day believe the Sproates transfer was the best bit of business the club has done in my lifetime.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:22 am

I always had a vision of Yogi as a human ten-pin bowling ball. Opposition players being skittled in all directions. He had the shape for it too. :D :roll:

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:24 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:23 pm
No way Burn gets in over Liddle. No way.
Bloody hell Gramps. We agree on something.
Good for you Ted but no one else cares.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:32 am

darlo999 wrote:Dale Hopson on the move from Whitby. Gets a load of fails from midfield worth an look in my opinion always rated him.
I know this thread is veering wildly off on various tangents but Hopson is an interesting one.

Had a couple of phenomenal seasons at Whitby, then left at his own request and joined Blyth.

Spent one year at Blyth (under Armstrong it should be said) before going back to Whitby and now the manager there no longer wants him.

Personally I don’t think he’s right for us now. I suspect his opportunity at a higher level may have passed. He’s certainly had plenty but it’s never worked out for him above NPL level.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:36 am

If Whitby don't want to keep him, then why would we want him??

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:43 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:If Whitby don't want to keep him, then why would we want him??
Good player but who would he replace in our squad ?We already have Wheatley,Holness,Hatfield,Atkinson,Hedley plus Sean Reid.Will not happen imo.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:33 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:04 pm
A fully fit Pawel Abbott.
exactly what I was going to put. Word for word

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:36 am

in regards to Hopson, he tweeted that the manager was going for a different style of play which he wouldn't suit. Could be an excuse the manager has given, as Whitby seem to be doing well for a team of their size (plus the geography must cause issues).

I'd be interested to see if we would look at Jimmy Spencer. Hatfield mentioned in his netcafe how good he was, and Cartman recently put him in his best 5 aside team. He played really well against us in the first game of the season, although our defence were generous that day.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:00 am

Alan walsh,for me prolific scoring record with us and a great guy to speak with. :thumbup: as where we are now i think thomo deserves a mention for equaling that record, albeit lower down the pyramid.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:28 am

Prudhoe

Liddle Gregan De Vos Frank Gray

Gill Bannister Appleby Heaney

Gabbiadini Blake

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:55 am

D_F_C wrote:in regards to Hopson, he tweeted that the manager was going for a different style of play which he wouldn't suit. Could be an excuse the manager has given, as Whitby seem to be doing well for a team of their size (plus the geography must cause issues).

I'd be interested to see if we would look at Jimmy Spencer. Hatfield mentioned in his netcafe how good he was, and Cartman recently put him in his best 5 aside team. He played really well against us in the first game of the season, although our defence were generous that day.
Why would Spenser come to us??? I'd say he is happy where he is they have a good little set up there with a great fan baseImage

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Spencer is in mega bucks, his part time wage is supplemented with a coaching job in their academy

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:38 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:20 pm
The player's actual prime or his 'prime' with us?

I'd say Gabbiadini but there are quite a few who if they had been playing for us in their prime you would have to think would have been incredible.
We’ll say in their prime with us.
Ah, that's a shame. I love the idea of a parallel universe where there's a Darlo team with the mid-90s version of Keith Gillespie supplying crosses to the late-90s Noel Whelan, all soundtracked by 'The Life of Riley'.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:48 am

Vokuhila wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

I'd say Gabbiadini but there are quite a few who if they had been playing for us in their prime you would have to think would have been incredible.
Ah, that's a shame. I love the idea of a parallel universe where there's a Darlo team with the mid-90s version of Keith Gillespie supplying crosses to the late-90s Noel Whelan, all soundtracked by 'The Life of Riley'.
+ Joachim

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:33 am

has to be my namesake Eddie Rowles or Gary Pallister

Darlofan97

Post by Darlofan97 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:11 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:32 am
darlo999 wrote:Dale Hopson on the move from Whitby. Gets a load of fails from midfield worth an look in my opinion always rated him.
I know this thread is veering wildly off on various tangents but Hopson is an interesting one.

Had a couple of phenomenal seasons at Whitby, then left at his own request and joined Blyth.

Spent one year at Blyth (under Armstrong it should be said) before going back to Whitby and now the manager there no longer wants him.

Personally I don’t think he’s right for us now. I suspect his opportunity at a higher level may have passed. He’s certainly had plenty but it’s never worked out for him above NPL level.
Hopson had a decent spell under Armstrong in 2017/2018, 11 goals in 35 games in the NLN. Then he left because of the travelling up to Blyth from Stockton.

I’m not saying we should definitely sign him, because I think he has had a bad injury recently, but he could be worth at least a trial in July, providing we are back to normal by then!

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:46 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Vokuhila wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:46 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:
lo36789 wrote:

+ Joachim
So team of players at their all time peak who were contracted to us before or after:

Hoult

Fleming
Gregan
Burn
Austin

Gillespie
Maddison
Atkinson
Heaney

Whelan
Joachim

That's off the top of my head and since I started following. Blake, Petta, Armstrong and Wijnhard probably just miss out. I'm sure there are plenty more who played at a good standard.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

EssexBri

Post by EssexBri » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Can I put forward the following names of players that featured during the mid-sixties:-

Tony Moore - Goalkeeper

John Peverell - Right Back

Lance Robson - Centre Forward

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:53 pm

EssexBri wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:50 pm
Can I put forward the following names of players that featured during the mid-sixties:-

Tony Moore - Goalkeeper

I know Lance was a dentist in the Town when he played for us. Did he play as an Amateur, or have the mists of time played tricks on my memory? I don't recall anyone at our level kicking a ball as hard as Pev. I can recall a free kick he hit once from outside the box where the keeper dived the other way to avoid being hit by the ball!

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:48 pm

bga wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:53 pm
EssexBri wrote:

Tony Moore - Goalkeeper

I know Lance was a dentist in the Town when he played for us. Did he play as an Amateur, or have the mists of time played tricks on my memory? I don't recall anyone at our level kicking a ball as hard as Pev. I can recall a free kick he hit once from outside the box where the keeper dived the other way to avoid being hit by the ball!
Mostly though Pev's shots would rise majestically over the tin shed, clear the cricket pitch and come to rest against the gates of the twin towers.
At the other end they would end up in South Park. Very few ended up between the posts.

joejaques

Post by joejaques » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:50 pm

bga wrote:
EssexBri wrote:

Tony Moore - Goalkeeper

The story I heard about Lance at the time, and I assume it to be true, is that he couldn't afford to go full time pro, as he earned more from dentistry. :roll:

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:19 pm

joejaques wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:50 pm
bga wrote:
EssexBri wrote:

Tony Moore - Goalkeeper

The story I heard about Lance at the time, and I assume it to be true, is that he couldn't afford to go full time pro, as he earned more from dentistry. :roll:
Well if Lance Jnrs charges are anything to go by I’m not surprised Lance Snr stayed part time

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:52 pm

banktopp wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:48 pm
bga wrote:
EssexBri wrote:

Tony Moore - Goalkeeper

Mostly though Pev's shots would rise majestically over the tin shed, clear the cricket pitch and come to rest against the gates of the twin towers.
At the other end they would end up in South Park. Very few ended up between the posts.
You're not wrong there! I don't think I can actually remembering him scoring a goal in the time I watched us in the 60's.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:15 pm

bga wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:52 pm
banktopp wrote:
bga wrote:
EssexBri wrote:

Tony Moore - Goalkeeper

You're not wrong there! I don't think I can actually remembering him scoring a goal in the time I watched us in the 60's.
Chester 5-1. Ken Hale hit 1 from the halfway line towards South park and scored. Pev went about 5 yards better.
Think it was about 1970???

bga

Post by bga » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:21 pm

EDJOHNS wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:15 pm
bga wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:52 pm
banktopp wrote:
bga wrote:
EssexBri wrote:

Tony Moore - Goalkeeper

Chester 5-1. Ken Hale hit 1 from the halfway line towards South park and scored. Pev went about 5 yards better.
Think it was about 1970???
You would have thought he would have been an ideal penalty taker wouldn't you with his powerful shot? But I guess the danger was even from 12 yards he would still hit the ball over the bar.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:39 pm

Barry Conlon/cough......
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:51 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:04 pm
A fully fit Pawel Abbott.
Have to agree, when he went on one of his runs you knew something would happen.

Darlo_lad

Post by Darlo_lad » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:40 am

Mick Tait, Gabbiadini, Liddle and Prudhoe. Spine of a team that'd win any league