Last home game for a while?

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

H1987
Team Supported: Darlington

Last home game for a while?

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:08 pm

With the virus situation, it's looking distinctly like we could be playing behind closed doors for a bit...

Honestly, I'm really surprised the decision hasn't been made already. It seems irresponsible at this point (not by the club, but by the authorities).

Vodka_Vic

Re: Last home game for a while?

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:20 pm

What you're saying doesn't fit with what the government are saying though. They're saying that gatherings of the type in our league don't really carry much of a risk. A bigger factor might be further postponements if teams get infected and have to self-isolate for 7 days. Crowds may certainly be down though, certainly after the next few weeks.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:38 pm

Yeah, but for example, the Scottish government is mirroring others around Europe saying any crowd above 500 is a problem to be avoided (conveniently from next Monday after the Old Firm...) so I wouldn't be surprised to see that adopted in the rest of the UK in the short term future.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:52 pm

It will be adopted soon I agree, this Saturday will probably be last game for a while.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 pm

Sorry but I cannot believe attending Blackwell Meadows with around 1300 other fans is particularly risky. Maybe keep out of clubhouse but otherwise should be fine. If we take really drastic measures too early then surely it will be counterproductive as by the time the virus really hits people will be sick of the restrictions and less likely to follow them.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:12 pm

Old Git wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 pm
Sorry but I cannot believe attending Blackwell Meadows with around 1300 other fans is particularly risky. Maybe keep out of clubhouse but otherwise should be fine. If we take really drastic measures too early then surely it will be counterproductive as by the time the virus really hits people will be sick of the restrictions and less likely to follow them.
The last sentence is exactly what public health and government have said this pm. For me playing behind closed doors is pointless as players and officials are just as likely to be infected as spectators. Much better to suspend the season until the worst is over, whenever that might be.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:13 pm

The experts they get on certainly seem to say the risk is associated with effectively transmission of water droplets which is then rubbed into mouth / nose and eyes. It doesn't transmit very well outdoor and not particularly long living on clothing.

Wrapped up in the openness of Blackwell meadows should be pretty low risk especially for the vast majority of people. If you are at high risk maybe you want to avoid but that is your call.

France is 1,000 isn't it? It's pretty inconsistent across the world the science makes sense to be honest most work places are doing their own thing anyway our whole office have been told to wfh as of this afternoon.

The Scottish government logic is not about concern of infection. Their issue is that policing and ambulance cover is required at big events when they want those resources to be available elsewhere to support.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:44 pm

If as seems likely our games are postponed or played behind closed doors, what will happen to the season. Will the season just be cancelled, as it would be almost impossible to play it over the summer, as players won't be available?

bigdavethemaddog

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:47 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:44 pm
If as seems likely our games are postponed or played behind closed doors, what will happen to the season. Will the season just be cancelled, as it would be almost impossible to play it over the summer, as players won't be available?
id be surprised if they implement it at our level.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:17 pm

One possibility I’ve seen suggested is that the Euros are delayed for a year to allow for suspended leagues to complete their seasons. It seems plausible to me.

I would have thought at our level playing behind closed doors might be more suitable at our level, but I can imagine the higher levels favouring postponement (I guess we probably have our players on seasonal contracts and they don’t get paid over the summer)

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Old Git wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:55 pm
The last sentence is exactly what public health and government have said this pm. For me playing behind closed doors is pointless as players and officials are just as likely to be infected as spectators. Much better to suspend the season until the worst is over, whenever that might be.
The chief medical officer said today that he expects the peak to be in 10-14 weeks. So if that is correct that’s June before you even get to the peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:17 am

I think realistically we’re looking at September before we can get back to any sort of normality. It’s going to be a long, tough 6 months, the like of which many will never have experienced before.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:53 am

Once it is definite we can't make the playoffs, that is the time to close the season. Covid-19 is very bad news for any enterprise running on a hand-to-mouth existence.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 am

I think there is a grave chance that a lot of non-league sides will just fold if they don't get revenue from paying fans. Clubs with rich benefactors or clubs with a decent fan base like ours will survive. But after this is all over non-league football & even league football will look very different from how things look at the moment.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:03 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:58 am
I think there is a grave chance that a lot of non-league sides will just fold if they don't get revenue from paying fans. Clubs with rich benefactors or clubs with a decent fan base like ours will survive. But after this is all over non-league football & even league football will look very different from how things look at the moment.
Spot on. All the more reason we fans should be buying season tickets now & build up a bit of a fund to ensure the club continues to survive.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:10 am

jjljks wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:03 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Spot on. All the more reason we fans should be buying season tickets now & build up a bit of a fund to ensure the club continues to survive.

Good sentiments however a lot of people will be worried about finances right now!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:17 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:10 am
jjljks wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:

Good sentiments however a lot of people will be worried about finances right now!
Absolutely. Have to think of looking after your own first, but IF you do have some cash in the bank, it isn't getting any worthwhile interest so better off investing in the club. Think of it as quantitative easing for AA & DJ

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:44 am

If we can assume that tomorrow's match will go ahead, that would leave us with 4 home games that could be at risk of not going ahead. The club would therefore lose revenue on those games if people cannot attend. What would be the actual impact to the club's finances? Will this only be paying on the gate customers and hospitality? Anyone got any idea what that impact might be in cash terms? And would fans consider paying for games they would have attended, even if they do not go ahead, to cover for these losses? After all the hard work done over the last 8 years it would be terrible to think we would potentially risk the club over the price of four games.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am

As a season ticket holder, I always assume I will miss a few home games due to unforeseen circumstances. Another 4 would be a blow but must also consider those fans who don't have season tickets. Potentially the loss of revenue from them could be higher, especially with the raised interest due to our hopes of playoffs & promotion. Conclusion must be, get yourself there on Saturday!

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:11 am

jjljks wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
More important matters than football for a lot of people.

I agree with the sentiment, but 9 people out of 10 will be keeping the finances tight until the worst is over.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 am

The sad part of this is that the best form of defence is to isolate those who are most vulnerable. 90%+ of us can get this virus we will cause no extra burden on the health service and after 4/5 days we will be immune and the risk then to the vulnerable will plummet.

If 90% were in that position then herd immunity would kick in, as it is those in that 90% who are the ones carrying it between the most vulnerable as they are fit and healthy and mobile.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:49 am

Rumour flying that EFL and PL are going with a suspension of games until the 4th April. If this is the case I would assume it is pretty much confirmation that the EUROs are cancelled.

Update: EFL bit seems to have been confirmed by Sky...

QuakerPete

Post by QuakerPete » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:10 pm

Whilst it’s right to focus on the health issues, is it feasible that a significant number of fans would donate the price of an entrance ticket (or more) for each subsequent game should they be postponed / cancelled? Cash flow is crucial for the club

lsb

Post by lsb » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:38 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 am

If 90% were in that position then herd immunity would kick in, as it is those in that 90% who are the ones carrying it between the most vulnerable as they are fit and healthy and mobile.
Herd immunity effect is not established for this new virus. We don’t yet know whether the antibodies generate a long-term immune effect. There are other coronaviruses that circulate, which cause colds, and there it doesn’t work. Furthermore herd immunity has only been established by vaccination, not by exposing the population. That’s how we eradicated smallpox, there was no herd immunity from it circulating for thousands of years. We also don’t know whether there are long term effects of the virus in people who had mild symptoms, like various tick-borne forms of encephalitis.
Maybe we shouldn’t conduct a huge experiment on the UK population and should take whatever measures we can to contain it, even if it means we move to a war footing? After all it is the greatest potential threat to civilian life that we have faced since the Second World War.
Sorry to be pessimistic and for going off topic. Shame about the game today too!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:29 pm

Perhaps given today's result, it might be a good job that we might not be playing for a while. Not much to play for if & when the season re-starts for us.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:16 pm

lsb wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:38 pm
lo36789 wrote:

Herd immunity effect is not established for this new virus. We don’t yet know whether the antibodies generate a long-term immune effect. There are other coronaviruses that circulate, which cause colds, and there it doesn’t work. Furthermore herd immunity has only been established by vaccination, not by exposing the population. That’s how we eradicated smallpox, there was no herd immunity from it circulating for thousands of years. We also don’t know whether there are long term effects of the virus in people who had mild symptoms, like various tick-borne forms of encephalitis.
Maybe we shouldn’t conduct a huge experiment on the UK population and should take whatever measures we can to contain it, even if it means we move to a war footing? After all it is the greatest potential threat to civilian life that we have faced since the Second World War.
Sorry to be pessimistic and for going off topic. Shame about the game today too!
It's not me saying that...you do know that right?

Literally the top medical and science officers in the land have said it and have not had any real dissenters from the same expertise / field.

They are doing it based on the experience of medical experts in China and Japan who have been addressing the virus for longer.

Jeremy Hunt and Phil Babb had their say but that is about it.

m62exile

Post by m62exile » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:10 pm

lo36789 wrote:
lsb wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:38 pm
lo36789 wrote:

It's not me saying that...you do know that right?

Literally the top medical and science officers in the land have said it and have not had any real dissenters from the same expertise / field.

They are doing it based on the experience of medical experts in China and Japan who have been addressing the virus for longer.

Jeremy Hunt and Phil Babb had their say but that is about it.
I’d respectfully have to point out that both Japan and China have chosen the totally opposite strategy to us . Japan especially locked down really early and have a particularly elderly population.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 pm

I didn't say that we took the same strategy as them - but that their experience and knowledge was factored into our models.

I am not qualified to know the best course of action others are...literally in answer to any challenge over the action currently being taken or rationale behind it "this is what the experts say"

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:03 pm

National League meeting again on Monday according to AA. He didn't want today's game to go ahead and said he doesn't think Tuesday will be on.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Ben Strevens at Eastleigh not a happy bunny either. From what I can pick up though all that games being off today did was push people into the pubs I've heard a lot of feedback that they were rammed today - kinda shows why the government might have been happier for people to be outside.