Coronavirus and DFC

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Coronavirus and DFC

Post by onewayup » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 pm

I think this situation if non league games are postponed
Will be catastrophic for a lot of non league clubs survival, it's unprecedented.

bga

Post by bga » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:56 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:43 pm
bga wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:34 pm
lo36789 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 pm
I've had email saying conversations are still ongoing with NL but I suspect it will go the same way.

Suspect one of the factors now will be where the PL / EFL fans will go if they find out their local non-league game is on.
In other words a Marketing opportunity for us? Surely with the right message we can persuade a few (50-100?) Boro fans and dare I say it Sunderland fans to come and have a look at us? I am sure other non-league Clubs will be thinking the same so let's get the message out there. I guess the best route is via Supporters Group so I hope DFCSG are onto this with Boro and Sunderland who must have a large database.
Rob what do you think to the idea?
I'm not sure this is a sensible post?
Why? The day may soon come where we are not allowed to play so have no income but still have expenses (Staff will still need to be paid). All I was suggesting was try and get some extra cash now before it is too late.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Anyone whose reaction to this is to go out and find another crowd to stand in (albeit a smaller one) is an idiot.

Stay home and watch some Netflix. Football can wait.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:00 pm

onewayup wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:53 pm
I think this situation if non league games are postponed
Will be catastrophic for a lot of non league clubs survival, it's unprecedented.
We could need some intervention from the FA / PFA / whoever to help these clubs out financially. God knows the FA can't be wanting for money.

I'm sure we'll be alright, but i'd be concerned about others. The money should be secondary to public health right now.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:00 pm

I completely disagree, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The reasons behind cancelling EFL games are to do with crowds, larger crowds than we normally get. To suggest we use this as an opportunity to get a larger than normal crowd is perverse.

Just think about it. This is really serious stuff.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm sure we could make a slush fund, just like we did to raise money in various ways before.
500 fans chipping in £50 is 25 grand.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:07 pm

To a club like ours I suppose we would have to "mothball" it. Staff would not be paid for a while, how could they be.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:12 pm

Considering the money kicking about elite football (Premier League clubs have over £1billion in the bank between them apparently), you'd hope there could be some sort of help for clubs at the bottom end of the pyramid who need it. Advances in gate receipts, repayed whenever the games get played, something like that

eddie-rowles

Post by eddie-rowles » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:30 pm

If NLN games are banned or season delayed believe we have to ask Manager & players to forego payments until league resumes only sensible thing for our club to survive, extraordinary measures in extraordinary circumstances

bga

Post by bga » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:31 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:00 pm
I completely disagree, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. The reasons behind cancelling EFL games are to do with crowds, larger crowds than we normally get. To suggest we use this as an opportunity to get a larger than normal crowd is perverse.

Just think about it. This is really serious stuff.
If we follow the official advice, then it is deemed small crowds are still safe though this is subject to constant review. I was not suggesting we try and turn a small crowd into a large crowd, but life needs to go on doesn't it? Do you think the Club currently offering under 11's who probably are not as hygienic as older people, free entry for Saturday should still encourage this? I accept individuals will make their own minds up about attending events.

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:45 pm

If this is a suspension rather than a cancellation of this season, this has quite a different set of consequences for part time football. The full time clubs can agree to play later in the year without overall financial damage, but playing our games after a month's break would cause some problems over contracts of players, their existing commitments after the scheduled end of season and our rights to play at Blackwell after the end of next month, which would surely be outside our lease with the rugby club. So I could see there being a different consideration process to the decision taken by the National League as there could be dire consequences for many of its members.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Dilly-dilly wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:32 pm
Said it before and will again . Donate Match entrance fee to keep Club afloat . Interim measure. Regarding commercial status . Would very much doubt Companies would put themselves and employees at risk given current circumstances. Further regards Stewards who will be made responsible for filtering fans feeling unwell at games , as per Club instructions. What safeguards has Club in place to protect and isolate . For and if situation arises .
Not been without risk is it . Given Club playing and operating without Insurance. Open to high elements of risk .
Thoughts go to the likes of Glen and Mary, 50/50 sellers etc. who are excellent volunteers but I don't want them to take a risk especially as volunteers are often over the age which has more danger.

I can miss the games and happy for them to be called off and will donate a fee to the club even though as ST holder.

Darlogramps

Coronavirus and DFC

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:To a club like ours I suppose we would have to "mothball" it. Staff would not be paid for a while, how could they be.
Presumably because they are under contract and need their wages to pay bills. But I’m sure the players are delighted you’re happy to cancel their salaries for a few weeks from behind your keyboard.

For everyone saying “It’s about health not money” try telling that to people who are about lose income for a number of weeks.

Lack of money means they have to cut back on other things to survive. Bills go unpaid. Think about the toll that takes on mental health too.

Some people are trying to simplify an incredibly complex situation into a snappy soundbite to make themselves sound clever. There are a lot of considerations to take into account before any decision is made.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:07 pm

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:47 pm
Dilly-dilly wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:32 pm
Said it before and will again . Donate Match entrance fee to keep Club afloat . Interim measure. Regarding commercial status . Would very much doubt Companies would put themselves and employees at risk given current circumstances. Further regards Stewards who will be made responsible for filtering fans feeling unwell at games , as per Club instructions. What safeguards has Club in place to protect and isolate . For and if situation arises .
Not been without risk is it . Given Club playing and operating without Insurance. Open to high elements of risk .
Thoughts go to the likes of Glen and Mary, 50/50 sellers etc. who are excellent volunteers but I don't want them to take a risk especially as volunteers are often over the age which has more danger.

I can miss the games and happy for them to be called off and will donate a fee to the club even though as ST holder.
I don't disagree with the idea of making sure that this bad situation does not get made worse by going on recklessly with large gatherings but the decision taken at Football League level can be suspended and restarted as they will have the players under contract to offer this. At the moment the government have not required any large gathering to be stopped and it is the Football League who have taken their decision on the basis that they can afford to be more cautious. I agree that the exposure of any individual to such gatherings should be a matter of choice but there will be consequences if we cannot go ahead with the remaining matches. If the season is ended now because clubs at our level could not extend the season, how would that pan out for promotions and relegations? You could see a lot of clubs having some considerable difficulties with any of the possible routes, other than carrying on as is and seeing if we can get through to the season's end.

en passant

Post by en passant » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 pm

And meanwhile I am watching thousands of people on TV in close proximity to each other at Cheltenham races.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:31 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:45 pm
It's almost beyond belief that wildlife trade and slaughter at a dirty market in China would eventually lead to Darlo games being postponed.
Thought that wildlife slaughter happened in Hartlepool :lol:

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:08 pm

I think games will all be off anyhow soon.

Harrogate v Solihull is called off as 4 players are under isolation.

We just have to accept it and work out how to ensure our football club doesn't have financial issues.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm

Game ON

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:24 pm

just read national league games to go ahead this weekend after board meeting

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:24 pm

Wash hands, carry tissues(If u can buy them) Let's get 3 points and kick on before they call the league off from Monday

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:31 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:Game ON

Great news, the financial implications could have been catastrophic.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 pm

Baffling decision tbh.

Won't take long before some clubs who don't fancy a game because they've got a few knocks or aren't in form claim they've got players or staff who are ill to get the game hooked. Integrity of the competition very much a big issue in all of this.

But classic National League though, going against the current of everyone else.

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:10 pm

TFDM wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:45 pm
Baffling decision tbh.

Won't take long before some clubs who don't fancy a game because they've got a few knocks or aren't in form claim they've got players or staff who are ill to get the game hooked. Integrity of the competition very much a big issue in all of this.

NPL are only step 3 and 4 league still playing.

Isthmian League off, Southern Premier Off & Southern Central all off

As you say baffling given most are off

Still should boost gates for clubs still playing . Get the word out that there are games on and get the fans of Premiership and EFL clubs to come to National League games

TFDM

Post by TFDM » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:14 pm

And there is one of the other reasons.... you may well see a spike in attendances tomorrow as Premiership and EFL fans go and watch a game. Which kind of undoes a lot of the reasons for suspending the game further up.

Still wouldn't surprise me if after we've played this weekend they end up suspending things.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:17 pm

TFDM wrote:
Baffling decision tbh.

Puts so much onto a fan run club especially ....

Do we sell 50 50 still? A lot of our volunteers are not getting any younger?

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:35 pm

JasonDeVos wrote:
TFDM wrote:
Baffling decision tbh.

Seriously do will still sell 50/50, I can't believe you have asked this question

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:44 pm

Doubt very much many fans of FL clubs will boost our gate tomorrow. Expect it to be our last home game for a long time. We as fan/owners may need to start digging deep to keep things going.
Also think the players may be asked to accept a reduced or deferred wages if games are cancelled/postponed to help cash flow.

darlo reborn

Post by darlo reborn » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:18 pm

noticed all southern league games below national have all been called off

spen666

Post by spen666 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 pm

Old Git wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:44 pm
Doubt very much many fans of FL clubs will boost our gate tomorrow. ....
Nowt for them to do. No live games on in pubs tomorrow.

Get the word out

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:22 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:35 pm
JasonDeVos wrote:
TFDM wrote:
Baffling decision tbh.

Seriously do will still sell 50/50, I can't believe you have asked this question

Nah no you right- no issues to consider.