Lee Clark

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

bigdavethemaddog

Lee Clark

Post by bigdavethemaddog » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:06 pm

sacked by Blyth Spartans

Mister e
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Lee Clark

Post by Mister e » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:25 pm

Who cares

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:59 pm

They still have a number of games against teams in the promotion mix including Spenny & York, so may be useful for us if they could grab a few wins for their new manager.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:46 pm

Amazing he lasted this long. Not an easy job taking over in difficult times but Blyth have been poor all season and sadly look to be going down.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:35 pm

He's been on borrowed time since Christmas, a bit like Jonathan Woodgate at Port Darlo.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 pm

Strange comment. Boro were in excellent form between mid November and mid January.

The wheels only really came off again after that (and they had a god awful start but I think most were prepared to give him a chance).

Blyth have just been totally rotten all year, and aside from Roberts contribution they’d already be down. Let’s face it, if they could’ve afforded to, he would’ve been long gone by now.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:35 pm
He's been on borrowed time since Christmas, a bit like Jonathan Woodgate at Port Darlo.
Want a bet for charity ? Woody will be at Boro at the end of the season even if they go down.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:37 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Want a bet for charity ? Woody will be at Boro at the end of the season even if they go down.
Fingers being pointed at Gary Monk for spending £50m on rubbish players on high wages.Pulis having a go so seems as though Woody will probably keep his job no matter what because of this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:46 am

EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Well he's had a vote of confidence from Gibson, so that's a clear sign that e's on the way out. Personally I hope he stays & ensures he takes them down. :D

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:07 am

Gibbo isn’t your typical football club chairman and likes to run his club differently to most. If anything he’s too loyal at times. A few fans on fmttm are starting to lose patience with him though over Woodgate but if I was a betting man, I’d put money on Woodgate being in charge next season regardless of division.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:25 am

Blyth seemed to have turned it round a few weeks ago and they looked like they were going to get out of it - but lately their form has been shocking and they have been losing by big margins.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

divas

Post by divas » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:04 pm

They lost Callum Roberts and with it any chance of survival

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:32 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:46 am
EDJOHNS wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:12 am
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Well he's had a vote of confidence from Gibson, so that's a clear sign that e's on the way out. Personally I hope he stays & ensures he takes them down. :D
Pete, Gibbo simply is not 1 into giving support to his manager in that way. He has said openly that this is NOT Woody's fault. It would be a total change of character if he were to now get rid of him. Most clubs you fear for the manager if given the vote of confidence Not Boro.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:17 pm

It looks very much like Gibson will no longer be chucking huge amounts of cash at the dream of turning Boro into an established Premier League club. He handed big pots of money to a succession of managers but it looks like being reined in now. I can see them relying more on home grown and the cheaper end of the transfer market.

The fans will have to accept the new reality facing them. They had a good run for their money over the years.... or rather Gibson's money. I wonder how much of his personal fortune has been ploughed into Boro since his involvement first started... eight figures anybody :D? And here they are, desperately trying to avoid the drop into League One. I have a bit of a soft spot for Boro and they have always been good with us over the years when it comes to loanees.

As for Lee Clark at Blyth, it's a bit ironic that he brought Micky Nelson in to add a bit of leadership, experience and know-how and Nelson ended up stepping into his shoes.

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:58 pm

They used to say that the football clubs losses were used to offset against Bulkhaul profits to reduce the overall corporation tax bill but I don’t know if this is true or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:38 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:17 pm
It looks very much like Gibson will no longer be chucking huge amounts of cash at the dream of turning Boro into an established Premier League club. He handed big pots of money to a succession of managers but it looks like being reined in now. I can see them relying more on home grown and the cheaper end of the transfer market.

The fans will have to accept the new reality facing them. They had a good run for their money over the years.... or rather Gibson's money. I wonder how much of his personal fortune has been ploughed into Boro since his involvement first started... eight figures anybody :D? And here they are, desperately trying to avoid the drop into League One. I have a bit of a soft spot for Boro and they have always been good with us over the years when it comes to loanees.

As for Lee Clark at Blyth, it's a bit ironic that he brought Micky Nelson in to add a bit of leadership, experience and know-how and Nelson ended up stepping into his shoes.
No way to accurately plot exactly what hes put into the club. But if you track Boro's accumulated losses From when he took over in 1993 to the last set of accounts accumulated losses move from £3 million to £180 million. Plenty of account guff in there which means that wont mean too much. But enough to suggest this has not been a cash cow for the Gibsom family.

Looking at it another way. In 1997 there was around £1 million in issued share capital. In the last set of accounts there is £64 million of issued share capital. Goes some way to quantifying just how much hes put in.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:43 pm

As for Clarke was always a bit of a daft appointment. Can see the angle of trying to get Newcastle fans interested in the club, but his record everywhere other than Huddersfield was fairly poor and at Huddersfield you could still argue he failed cause the budget and requirement was for promotion and he lost out in the playoffs twice.

They should have gone back for Tom Wade after Armstrong left. He laid some good foundations at blyth that Armstrong took forward to the league and then the playoffs. Good local knowledge of players at this level and very well respected by the fans.

I'd imagine Nelson has fallen in his feet. Couple of months with no expectation before trying to build a decent evo stik squad in the summer.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:45 am

JE93 wrote:As for Clarke was always a bit of a daft appointment. Can see the angle of trying to get Newcastle fans interested in the club, but his record everywhere other than Huddersfield was fairly poor and at Huddersfield you could still argue he failed cause the budget and requirement was for promotion and he lost out in the playoffs twice.

They should have gone back for Tom Wade after Armstrong left. He laid some good foundations at blyth that Armstrong took forward to the league and then the playoffs. Good local knowledge of players at this level and very well respected by the fans.

I'd imagine Nelson has fallen in his feet. Couple of months with no expectation before trying to build a decent evo stik squad in the summer.
There’s no chance Wade would’ve gone back in there.

From what I remember, he got a load of abuse from Blyth fans because they thought he was showing favouritism towards his son, who was a player there. It made him fall out of love with that job.

I also don’t necessarily agree that Clark was a “daft” appointment. Firstly, it was an incredibly unappealing job, and if you’ve got a well-known local name who has EFL managerial experience, a side like Blyth aren’t going to turn that down.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Clark was a “good” appointment. But I can see why they went for him. It hasn’t worked out, but then would anyone be able to sort that squad out?
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:30 am

JE93 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:38 pm
LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:17 pm

No way to accurately plot exactly what hes put into the club. But if you track Boro's accumulated losses From when he took over in 1993 to the last set of accounts accumulated losses move from £3 million to £180 million. Plenty of account guff in there which means that wont mean too much. But enough to suggest this has not been a cash cow for the Gibsom family.

Looking at it another way. In 1997 there was around £1 million in issued share capital. In the last set of accounts there is £64 million of issued share capital. Goes some way to quantifying just how much hes put in.
I'd be curious to see comparative figures compared to clubs around them though. I'd imagine from a group of around 30 clubs (which both Boro and Sunderland populate) outside the top few raking in Champions League money and with huge fanbases, most of these sides absolutely hemorrhage money. I think it's just the nature of owning a modern football club in and around that level. You either have to chase that Premier League money through promotion from the championship, or clinging on in the Premier League, or if you cut back you lose out (as Boro have in recent years - they are financial fair play compliant unlike others like Derby and Villa around them).

Bournemouth, for instance, have spent an absolute fortune and are backed by a billionaire. Derby and Villa selling their grounds to fiddle the financial figures... None of it is sustainable really, but while there's still a market for millionaires and billionaires wanting to buy in and have a go, it'll continue. I doubt any of them really get into it to turn a profit. Just about the only one who probably does outside of the real giants is probably Mike Ashley.