Retention for next year

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo_Pete
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Retention for next year

Post by Darlo_Pete » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:11 am

I disagree that Trotman will get an offer from a higher placed team. He'll be coming back from a really bad injury & it would be a massive gamble to take Trotman on before he has proved himself in the first team.

Breedon

Post by Breedon » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:40 pm

MCFCDarlo3 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:57 pm
Breedon wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:23 pm
Agree with most. Would let Laing go and hang on to Trotman if we can, but if he gets an offer from higher up or ends up being a side celebrity after Love Island so wants to be closer to home we can make our peace with that.

Tez and Thommo are legends but I'd be pulling them in and seeing how they'd feel about more than likely not being first choice next season because that's the reality we're looking at if we're having a serious go next season.

I think we need to be upgrading on Tez and Laing in terms of our second CB to play next to Storey who IMO is our best player there. Also would look to upgrade on Martin and Reid with a physical target man who will do the job Reid does at his best with Campbell up top, but better/consistently.

The team we have is a very solid NLN side and potential fringe playoff contenders, but if we're looking to be serious promotion contenders next season, which Alun has always said is the aim, we probably need to upgrade the decent but can be hit and miss lads to quality, consistent NLN players. Not many tweaks needed, but a few I'd say. A solid first choice keeper who AA will start week in week out, a quality CB and a quality target man with a couple of bodies on the cheap to replace the depth of the lads who move on doesn't seem unreasonable. Hate saying this because I really like everyone we have at the club, but you've got to leave sentiment at the door sometimes haven't you.
I agree with most of that but quite happy with Elliott in net and Reid looks decent and will improve I think.
Yeah mate I wouldn't have any problem with Elliott long term if Alun is happy with him and if we had the luxury of keeping Reid as another option but still signing (or loaning) a decent target/hold up striker to compliment Campbell I'd be all for that.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:10 am

Elliott seems to have got a thumbs up from AA according to the Echo. Hope this gives some encouragement to others in the squad who want to continue with the club & career.

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm

I'd release Connell, Bell, Ainge, Laing, Watson, and obviously Martin will go.

I'd try and keep the rest. Though, I think we could lose a few on Bosman's

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:44 pm

I think in all of this people can't have too many complaints if AA decides to put in place a wage structure and recruitment policy that he feels will maximise the use of our limited resources, even if that means taking some potentially unpopular decisions. All the indications are that he has a clear plan on the best way to take the club forward.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:17 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:44 pm
I think in all of this people can't have too many complaints if AA decides to put in place a wage structure and recruitment policy that he feels will maximise the use of our limited resources, even if that means taking some potentially unpopular decisions. All the indications are that he has a clear plan on the best way to take the club forward.
I am happy for AA to make some unpopular decisions, you have to always evolve the squad and in the summer I expect a few to move on that might upset some people. However football doesn't stand still and if you do then you fall back.

I think wage structure will be key for summer negotations with currnet players and new players, getting more players for the budget will be AA plan.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:22 pm

hodgie1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Season hasn’t even finished.

Great boost of confidence for these lads eh when we’ve still got it all to play for.

Give ya head a shake ffs.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:05 pm

I don't want to be controversial, but Thommo must be a major doubt to be retained, especially if he is one of our top earners this season.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:05 pm
I don't want to be controversial
That’s exactly what you want.

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:42 pm

AndyPark wrote:
hodgie1 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm

Season hasn’t even finished.

Great boost of confidence for these lads eh when we’ve still got it all to play for.

Give ya head a shake ffs.
Got to agree with Andy here, far too early to be naming names.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:02 pm

Absolutely bizarre shouting down discussion on the matter.

A) This thinking, and probably discussion around it will be happening in the management team.
B) Why get involved if you don’t want to?

hodgie1

Post by hodgie1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:02 am

tbf, AA will know now, i also suspect there will be a different wage structure next season, time will tell tho, to me theres nothing wrong with speculating who is going to be released, its happened every year - as far back as i can remember

Quakerlad

Post by Quakerlad » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:04 am

Get that it’s our choice to comment, but agree that from an existing players point of view there can be no positive from us suggesting with a number of games to go that we would like to be rid of them etc.

divas

Post by divas » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:09 am

I accept it’s part and parcel of being a fan and you’ll never stop it. I also expect far fewer players come on here and see if as opposed to if the conversation was borne out on twitter.

However given I’m sure plenty of us are owners of the club we should at least think twice about potential impacts on players before posting anything that’s directly aimed at one of them. They’re our assets after all.

My attitude towards our players both online and at matches has certainly changed since 2012. Although one thing I can’t abide is a lack of effort - it’s got to be said a number of players we had last season who have since departed certainly tested my patience in that department. For all there might be a handful of players who could be improved upon this season I think most would agree that they’ve all given their full commitment as a minimum.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:32 am

Seems like you can't raise a point or have any kind of debate without having people call you out on it....modern society is all :shh: :shh: :shh: :roll:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:31 am

divas wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:09 am
I accept it’s part and parcel of being a fan and you’ll never stop it. I also expect far fewer players come on here and see if as opposed to if the conversation was borne out on twitter.

However given I’m sure plenty of us are owners of the club we should at least think twice about potential impacts on players before posting anything that’s directly aimed at one of them. They’re our assets after all.

My attitude towards our players both online and at matches has certainly changed since 2012. Although one thing I can’t abide is a lack of effort - it’s got to be said a number of players we had last season who have since departed certainly tested my patience in that department. For all there might be a handful of players who could be improved upon this season I think most would agree that they’ve all given their full commitment as a minimum.
I think it's fine, as long as it's sensible and respectful, especially to the current crop, who to a man have put in the effort.

Clearly scoring goals is an issue for us. That goes across the pitch, and if others have to depart to improve on that in the summer, then that's just how it goes.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:12 pm

H1987 wrote:
divas wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:09 am

I think it's fine, as long as it's sensible and respectful, especially to the current crop, who to a man have put in the effort.

Clearly scoring goals is an issue for us. That goes across the pitch, and if others have to depart to improve on that in the summer, then that's just how it goes.
I agree, so long as the tone of the discussion is fair and respectful then I don’t understand why anyone could have a problem.

Speculating about what happens with playing staff happens at every club and always has done. I can’t see anything that’s unfair or harsh in this thread. If people don’t want to get involved, they don’t have to.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY