Hereford

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Big Tim
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Hereford

Post by Big Tim » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:12 pm

en passant wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:13 pm
We don't seem to have seen the best of Gary Martin as yet and he seems to have been reduced to being a substitute which, along with the observation on Thommo earlier, cannot give him the best chance to find his form. I wonder if starting him with Campbell might be something worth giving a try.
It’s been clear to see from the appearances he’s made so far that he hasn’t been match sharp, which obviously is a more than acceptable side effect of not playing for 2 months. Yesterday however in the brief 10 minute spell you could see he’s virtually there when it comes to being match ready. Granted it was late on and the Hereford back line weren’t as fresh, he was causing a nuisance getting in behind the line and creating space for Hedley and Donawa to do something late on, at one point getting the best of their lad and delivering a half decent ball into the box. If anything, this maybe isn’t what he wants his role to be in his short spell here, but if he isn’t considered a starter then he’s definitely a threat coming off the bench.

Also have to consider the performances off Donawa & Rivers keeping him out recently, the latter particularly. For all of Rivers’ attacking threat he does do a hell of a lot of the defensive donkey work you wouldn’t usually expect to see from your winger.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:56 pm

en passant wrote:We don't seem to have seen the best of Gary Martin as yet and he seems to have been reduced to being a substitute which, along with the observation on Thommo earlier, cannot give him the best chance to find his form. I wonder if starting him with Campbell might be something worth giving a try.
What is his best??? He played for York and scored 1 goal in his time there so how good is he??
And im not knocking him by the way it's hard to adjust after not playing

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:18 pm

I agree with not writing off Gary Martin just yet. We can't expect miracles when he hasn't been playing, and you can't get match sharpness from ten-minute cameos.

I wouldn't mind us giving the 4-3-3 a whirl again.

Elliott

Hedley Laing Storey Liddle

Holness Wheatley Hatfield

Rivers Campbell Donowa

Subs: Connell, Martin, Thommo, Watson, Reid

But instead of the 4-5-1 alike it often looked like, really get Rivers & Donowa up there with Campbell (who can't manage that role up top alone very well). If it's not working, get Martin on.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 pm

If as looks likely this season is petering out it has still been a reasonable effort and an improvement on last season. Therefore if this is a transition period surely we need to use the last 12 games to workout our best team and formations looking towards next season.
That being the case then surely it makes sense to use the players we envisage being part of our future. Don’t see much point in persisting with Martin as he will be away in another month. We would be better off experimenting with Reid and Campbell as a front two or even Donawa and Campbell playing together.

darlo_baron

Post by darlo_baron » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:54 pm

433 for me too.

Wouldn't mind seeing Martin given a go in the O'Neill role and Omar back in for Reid.

The midfield, in my view, has been at its best with Hatfield, Wheatley and Omar. Would be nice to give Martin a go, in a system that worked for us previously, and see if he could bring Campbell and Donowa into the game in a similar way to O'Neill.
Craig Liddle is God!!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:23 am

Having watched the highlights bit surprised no mention of Elliott on the forum. Stopped more than his fair share & kept us in it. First half, we played a lot of simple passes quickly along the ground and looked very sound. Second half, had a knock back with an equalizer from an unexpected source then another better goal from edge of box. It was to the team's credit they kept going & got a point after Omar came off the bench.🙌

H1987

Post by H1987 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:03 am

Elliott has been outstanding lately, and I hope we've decided he is the number one and that is the end of that.

I thought the commentary undersold just how good that reaction save was (difficult in real-time of course, but it certainly wasn't straight at him, he reacts fantastically)

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:41 pm

York 1-4 Hereford
Suddenly our draw at Edgar Street looks much better, as does holding Brackley:
Brackley 0-0 Boston
Last edited by jjljks on Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:44 pm

I went to this match. The last scheduled match ever at Bootham Crescent, and Hereford we’re superb. Clever slick football -however luck was with them too as they were fortunate defensively, whilst while attacking most things they tried just seemed to go right. It was definitely their night and when the fourth goal went in you could hear a pin drop!
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:40 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:44 pm
I went to this match. The last scheduled match ever at Bootham Crescent, and Hereford we’re superb. Clever slick football -however luck was with them too as they were fortunate defensively, whilst while attacking most things they tried just seemed to go right. It was definitely their night and when the fourth goal went in you could hear a pin drop!
What sort of crowd was there last night? It should have been boosted by people wanting to say bye to the dump!!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:42 am

I think it was about 2250. Good atmosphere to start with but Hereford’s quick goal soon sobered things up.

There was a comedy moment last night. Halfway through the second half just as Hereford we’re dishing out a lesson in midfield ball movement to the bewildered York players a gruff voice nearby shouted out “Part Time” as York fans hate being beaten by what they see as inferior sides.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:25 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:I think it was about 2250. Good atmosphere to start with but Hereford’s quick goal soon sobered things up.

There was a comedy moment last night. Halfway through the second half just as Hereford we’re dishing out a lesson in midfield ball movement to the bewildered York players a gruff voice nearby shouted out “Part Time” as York fans hate being beaten by what they see as inferior sides.
Some of our fans still have the same mentality thinking we should be beating some inferior teams so nothing new there..
All Clubs have a minority thinking they shouldn't be where they are because they were once a league club

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:43 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I went to this match. The last scheduled match ever at Bootham Crescent
Might be the scheduled last match but unlikely to be so, in reality, if word on the interwebs and Twitters is anything to go by.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:54 pm

biccynana wrote:
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I went to this match. The last scheduled match ever at Bootham Crescent
Might be the scheduled last match but unlikely to be so, in reality, if word on the interwebs and Twitters is anything to go by.
Under the floodlights

50 years

Post by 50 years » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:15 pm

I was at the match last night too. It is not the last match at the ground but was the last scheduled night match, (under floodlights as has been mentioned).

Game could have been 6-6, Hereford just took there chances and York didn't, to be honest Hereford played the better football at times. York's defence looked vunerable throughout the game.

It was announced that crowd was 2341, with 47 of them from Hereford

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:48 pm

50 years wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:15 pm
I was at the match last night too. It is not the last match at the ground but was the last scheduled night match, (under floodlights as has been mentioned).
Ah, I see. OFC omitted that bit ;)

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:54 pm

biccynana wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:48 pm
50 years wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:15 pm
Ah, I see. OFC omitted that bit ;)
Yes I cocked up, sorry about that. The last night time match.....probably.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:55 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I went to this match. The last scheduled match ever* at Bootham Crescent, and Hereford were superb. Clever slick football - however luck was with them too as they were fortunate defensively, whilst while attacking most things they tried just seemed to go right. It was definitely their night and when the fourth goal went in you could hear a pin drop!

*Edit, under the floodlights :oops:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:08 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:55 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
I went to this match. The last scheduled match ever* at Bootham Crescent, and Hereford were superb. Clever slick football - however luck was with them too as they were fortunate defensively, whilst while attacking most things they tried just seemed to go right. It was definitely their night and when the fourth goal went in you could hear a pin drop!

*Edit, under the floodlights :oops:
Now you tell me :lol: