Price Of Football (Twitter)

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

HarrytheQuaker
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Price Of Football (Twitter)

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Emdubya wrote:
bga wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 am
Quaker85 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:38 am
Getting back OT, Josh was playing in this game :

http://www.northernfootballleague.org/b ... e-wringer/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Number 9 Army who played for us? I always thought we got rid of him too quick......lights touch paper!
We didn’t get rid of him,he wanted out.
Yeah course he did. You talk some shite

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Emdubya

Post by Emdubya » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:31 pm

HarrytheQuaker wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:16 pm
Emdubya wrote:
bga wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:47 am
Quaker85 wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:38 am
Getting back OT, Josh was playing in this game :

http://www.northernfootballleague.org/b ... e-wringer/

That Number 9 Army who played for us? I always thought we got rid of him too quick......lights touch paper!
We didn’t get rid of him,he wanted out.
Yeah course he did. You talk some shite

Gray offered Armstrong another contract but he refused it as he wasn’t guaranteed a start.It was well publicized and common knowledge at the time
And Harry,don’t ever accuse me or anyone else of talking shite on here as long as you continue to post your drivel.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:45 am

I'm sure I read that he couldn't commit to us 100% because of the long distances involved with us going up to the Conference North, sure his teaching job made that impossible to do.

Shame really, as he was a banging striker.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:56 pm

AndyPark wrote:I'm sure I read that he couldn't commit to us 100% because of the long distances involved with us going up to the Conference North, sure his teaching job made that impossible to do.

Shame really, as he was a banging striker.
Spot on Andy that was the exact reason...Not that he refused, I'm sure he would of stayed if not for his personal reasons

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:35 am

Motherwell fan owned club doing very well on and off the field:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18 ... debt-free/

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:28 pm

It seems that St Mirren fans take great pleasure at having a go at the fee they paid for Josh Heaton - by having a go at Josh Heaton. I don't see any Sunderland fans having a go at St Mirren fans at the lack of success they had with Jack Ross - I'm sure Sunderland would have paid a tidy sum for him - this is football - some things work out some things don't.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:17 pm

Have, not of. So he "refused" to sign a contract as it didn't suit him?

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:23 am

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/statu ... 3837816835

When you look at it in these terms, we’re a really well run club!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:14 pm

Latest installment is from Hereford

https://mobile.twitter.com/KieranMaguir ... 4817193984

£8k pa to rent Edgar Street. We really are being ripped off!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:28 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:14 pm

I don’t believe the fixed rent we pay is bad at all. That is very cheap for Hereford but I expect it’s a peppercorn rent as the council own ground rather than them having to rent from a private landlord.

You’d struggle to rent a decent house for a year for £8K!

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:59 pm

£35 pa isn’t it and that’s not even a lease agreement granting exclusive use of the land. What we have is a license to occupy for a few hours on a Saturday. Not even allowed signage or branding.

divas

Post by divas » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:02 pm

Market forces I’m afraid. Still, can’t see it being any cheaper up the road.

Alternative is finding £4-5 million

Quaker85

Post by Quaker85 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:08 pm

Certainly looks like a benevolent local authority is the best model. Gateshead benefit from a similar arrangement I believe.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 pm

Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:59 pm
Not even allowed signage or branding.
This really bugs me. Why on earth can't we put a sign up on the road?

A proper sign, a permanent sign. Think of all the cars that drive past there every single day.

What is the Rugby club's problem?
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

divas

Post by divas » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:14 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:05 pm
Quaker85 wrote:

A proper sign, a permanent sign. Think of all the cars that drive past there every single day.

I don’t get the signage gripe. Yes it would be nice but it’s not going to change anything is it? Anyone who has the slightest inclination to come and watch us knows where we are.

If it would make a genuine difference to attendances I’m sure an alternative solution would have been found by erecting a sign on council land close by, but I doubt it’s seen as a priority

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:44 am

divas wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:14 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:

I don’t get the signage gripe. Yes it would be nice but it’s not going to change anything is it? Anyone who has the slightest inclination to come and watch us knows where we are.

If it would make a genuine difference to attendances I’m sure an alternative solution would have been found by erecting a sign on council land close by, but I doubt it’s seen as a priority
Agreed it would make little impact on attendances but it would help the club feel part of the community. Just is a “sign” of how petty and arrogant our landlords are. It’s easy with hindsight but really wish our directors at the time had taken a tougher stance in the negotiations with the rugby club.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 am

The (lack of) signage is just a symbol of our relationship with the rugby club. I highly doubt it would make a difference to our attendances, but it just nicely sums up our relationship with the rugby club.

Biggest thing to take away from Hereford's accounts is the cash in the bank! I suppose that's the benefits of not having to build stands + having your successful years in your home town

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:33 pm

divas wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:14 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Quaker85 wrote:

Well we'll have to disagree over this Divas, I think you are wrong :o

I live out of town and people are always asking me where Darlo play "these days". Furthermore think of all the traffic that goes along this busy road, parents with their children, people passing through who might just need a nudge to tweak their interest.

Basically - out of sight out of mind!
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:26 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:33 pm

I live out of town and people are always asking me where Darlo play "these days". Furthermore think of all the traffic that goes along this busy road, parents with their children, people passing through who might just need a nudge to tweak their interest.

I work closely with our marketing team - if there is one thing I've learned if we are interested in tweaking the interest of children a road side sign is the last thing you use.

Also don't use facebook (40+), twitter (30+), print (40+) or television advertising (35+).

Basically you have circa 4 seconds to get a child interested and it has to be flashing, colourful, and pushed in front of them when they are trying to get at other information.

Basically if the club were to want to spike interest in children then tiktok (<18) is the way, instagram (<30) and snapchat (25-35)

Darlopartisan

Post by Darlopartisan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:27 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:53 am
The (lack of) signage is just a symbol of our relationship with the rugby club. I highly doubt it would make a difference to our attendances, but it just nicely sums up our relationship with the rugby club.

Biggest thing to take away from Hereford's accounts is the cash in the bank! I suppose that's the benefits of not having to build stands + having your successful years in your home town
I think the first part of this message sums up what the problem is, they want the money but that’s it. Nothing will change until their attitude does, it’s a shame because it could be so different.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:58 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:26 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

I work closely with our marketing team - if there is one thing I've learned if we are interested in tweaking the interest of children a road side sign is the last thing you use.

Also don't use facebook (40+), twitter (30+), print (40+) or television advertising (35+).

Basically you have circa 4 seconds to get a child interested and it has to be flashing, colourful, and pushed in front of them when they are trying to get at other information.

Basically if the club were to want to spike interest in children then tiktok (<18) is the way, instagram (<30) and snapchat (25-35)
That's as maybe, however a big sign on that road would say - DARLINGTON HAVE A FOOTBALL CLUB/AND THAT FOOTBALL CLUB PLAYS HERE/CHECK OUT THE DETAILS ON OUR WEB PAGE/

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not saying it would literally say that, but that's the message it would give. If we played off of some back road like Guisely then it wouldn't really matter but we don't, so it does.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:24 pm

Darlopartisan wrote:
al_quaker wrote:

I think the first part of this message sums up what the problem is, they want the money but that’s it. Nothing will change until their attitude does, it’s a shame because it could be so different.
This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

divas

Post by divas » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:20 pm

al_quaker wrote:

Hereford spent £300K on improving their ground in their first year back.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:32 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
lo36789 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:26 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

That's as maybe, however a big sign on that road would say - DARLINGTON HAVE A FOOTBALL CLUB/AND THAT FOOTBALL CLUB PLAYS HERE/CHECK OUT THE DETAILS ON OUR WEB PAGE/

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not saying it would literally say that, but that's the message it would give. If we played off of some back road like Guisely then it wouldn't really matter but we don't, so it does.
I’m with Divas- I don’t think having a sign there would make a blind bit of difference.

Engaging people on social media and spreading the message that way is proven to be far more effective at generating interest. We should be massively capitalising on Trotman’s success on Love Island, as an example.

You’re more likely to get people interested that way than through sticking up a sign which 99% of people won’t notice when driving past.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:55 pm

Well I think we can all agree that a sign wouldn't do any harm, and even if 99% of traffic didn't notice, some of the 1% might just raise an eyebrow.

"D.F.C -- NEXT HOME GAME HERE ON 29th FEB" - it simply can't do any harm, yet we can't do it. We can't do - what the Rugby club do.

The social media stuff could also be tackled too, it's not one or the other.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:57 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:Well I think we can all agree that a sign wouldn't do any harm, and even if 99% of traffic didn't notice, some of the 1% might just raise an eyebrow.

"D.F.C -- NEXT HOME GAME HERE ON 29th FEB" - it simply can't do any harm, yet we can't do it. We can't do - what the Rugby club do.

The social media stuff could also be tackled too, it's not one or the other.
I didn’t say it was one or the other but you do have to pick your battles. And for a volunteer board who have little time or money, and need to keep the rugby club on-side, it’s not a battle worth wasting time, energy and goodwill on.

And you’ve contradicted yourself there. You’ve said a sign wouldn’t do any harm (which it would because it would piss off the rugby club) before saying we can’t do it anyway. Well that backs up my point about being pragmatic and focusing our limited time and resources on more effective methods of communication.

Not saying that we should be happy about it, but you need to be pragmatic.

And you seem convinced that anyone who notices this sign while driving past at 40mph (very unlikely anyway) will have a lightbulb moment and become a season ticket holder. It simply doesn’t happen. Even if they notice it, the chances of them even coming to a game off the back of seeing a sign are so remote.

If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:15 am

divas wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:20 pm
al_quaker wrote:

Hereford spent £300K on improving their ground in their first year back.
Makes it even more impressive then!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:22 am

The sign makes no difference at all. How many people are really going by Blackwell on a non-matchday? How many people, upon seeing that sign, would suddenly attend a game? I don't believe it's only a few whose minds would be changed or alerted to the teams presence by that sign, I believe it's absolutely no one. There are still signs up saying that the Arena is where we play on the bypass - do you think anyone with any intention of going to a game still thinks we play there!? If you want more visibility, I'd sooner we sunk our money into a shop in the town centre, with signage, and sold tickets from there rather than in the corner of the dolphin centre. There is a cost to this obviously, but imo if you're bothered about visibility, that is far more visible and far more of a presence than some signage at Blackwell.

If we are that bothered about it on a matchday, we can put signage on the tinshed and on the seated stand... but we don't. We flog it to sponsors. (I'm fine with this by the way, but the lack of signage could also be tackled by the football club and we choose not to because we would rather make some money). As fans, we can also crowdfund some more banners to make the place look like our home as well. The banners we put out on a matchday are fine. There are bigger things to worry about.
Last edited by H1987 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:23 am

divas wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:28 pm
Quaker85 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:14 pm

I don’t believe the fixed rent we pay is bad at all. That is very cheap for Hereford but I expect it’s a peppercorn rent as the council own ground rather than them having to rent from a private landlord.

You’d struggle to rent a decent house for a year for £8K!
That's outrageously cheap. I've paid more than that to rent rooms in shared houses in London.

I should've rented Edgar Street and commuted.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:49 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:57 am
[You’ve said a sign wouldn’t do any harm (which it would because it would piss off the rugby club)
And herein lies a major problem with our relationship with the rugby club - a simple sign to say that DFC play at BM too would 'piss' the rugby club off. Ridiculous :lol: