New kit

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlogramps
Team Supported: Darlington

New kit

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:31 pm

D_F_C wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:16 pm
I don't think we've played in hoops for that much of the last 30 years, so to say it's our identity doesn't really work for me.
Not true, we've played in hoops for most of the last 30 years. If we go off this (http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Darling ... ington.htm), the club has a long association with hooped shirts. For around 45 years up to the mid-50s we played in hoops, changed to all-white shirts for about 35 years. Then for about 15 years we had various designs, including hoops and for the last 15 years, we've almost exclusively played in hoops.

Our successful seasons in the late 80s/early 90s were in hoops. Also, when have we had a good season when we haven't played in hoops? 2009/10 and 11/12 were the worst seasons I can remember.

It's not difficult to see why many people, particularly the younger supporters, see it as being part of the club's identity. And it's these younger supporters in particular we need to engage if the club is to have a viable future (not to say older supporters aren't important, but without an engaged younger fanbase now, the club's fanbase will diminish in future, catastrophic for a club that relies on supporters for its finances). And a big part of engaging supporters is making them feel part of something. That's where the identity comes into it.

Denying supporters the chance even to vote on an option of hoops out of fear it might be popular, is short-sighted for a club that's supposedly about the supporters.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Darlogramps

New kit

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:38 pm

Double- post

Vokuhila

Re: New kit

Post by Vokuhila » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:41 pm

I think it's important to keep things in perspective.

For me, it's not so much about what the design options are, but the fact that we've got the options in the first place.

There are millions of people who'll go through their entire lives never being allowed to vote for anything ever, so I'm struggling to get too worked up about us not wearing hoops next season.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:45 pm

Just looked at our last three home shirts and they are so similar it’s easy to see why this season’s offering hasn’t sold well.
Yes we should have hoops as an option but the design has got to be noticeably different in some way if they are going to sell well.

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:13 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:04 am
EDJOHNS wrote:Sorry but all this,"It is our heritage" comes from a far younger generation than I.
Not once for over 40 years did I see "Hoops" until the 3 thin hoops made their debut in 1966.
I would not mind so much if we actually had hoops, we don't. We keep having black and white horizontal stripes with black backs. Bloody awful IMHO.
Over forty years before 1966? So you started supporting Darlington in the early 1920s? Making you nearly 100. Stop talking wibble.

And as the historical kits link posted earlier shows, we were wearing hooped kits in the early 1950s, so your timeline is well out.

Ted, stop talking wibble.
[/quote

You really should get over your obsession with me. It really is pathetic.

YES YOU ARE CORRECT I MISUSED A WORD !!!!!!

Now edited so you can stop bloody whinging.

JE93

Post by JE93 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Vokuhila wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:41 pm
I think it's important to keep things in perspective.

For me, it's not so much about what the design options are, but the fact that we've got the options in the first place.

There are millions of people who'll go through their entire lives never being allowed to vote for anything ever, so I'm struggling to get too worked up about us not wearing hoops next season.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

Was there this much up-roar when they replaced Mr. Q with Darlo Dog for a while now that really was a travesty?

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm

F**k me this fanbase is so set in their ways. As fans we’ve had the priviledge to choose our home & away kit for how many of the last number of seasons (a feat that not many clubs get) yet here we are whinging about the choices. Only Darlo fans could whinge about having the option to choose from FOUR different kits. I think some people need to grow up a little. No doubt there’ll now be people who say “i’m not supporting them till they play in hoops”...Time for a change and a freshen up, simple as that
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm

Vokuhila wrote:I think it's important to keep things in perspective.

Spot on.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:24 pm

Are the designs on the back of the shirts same as front, or are they all plain white? Not a criticism just wondering I have already voted for Option 3 and think it is great we get asked each year.

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pm

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm
D_F_C wrote:
The club are probably in an impossible position because if they keep hoops, they'd potentially lose cash and some people would complain, if you lose hoops you might gain some extra £, but have some people complain.

It's not an impossible position - make hoops one of the options - then let the fans decide. Surely then the most popular kit wins and sales will benefit. Unless we're saying that an less popular choice will sell better than a more popular choice?
Depends who is voting and if they have any inclination to buy the shirt at all. If you get a lot of people who prefer hoops but don’t buy shirts versus less people who vote non hoops but do buy shirts then....

divas

Post by divas » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pm

bga wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:24 pm
Are the designs on the back of the shirts same as front, or are they all plain white? Not a criticism just wondering I have already voted for Option 3 and think it is great we get asked each year.
All plain white backs this time.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:26 pm

quakersam wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:13 pm
F**k me this fanbase is so set in their ways. As fans we’ve had the priviledge to choose our home & away kit for how many of the last number of seasons (a feat that not many clubs get) yet here we are whinging about the choices. Only Darlo fans could whinge about having the option to choose from FOUR different kits. I think some people need to grow up a little. No doubt there’ll now be people who say “i’m not supporting them till they play in hoops”...Time for a change and a freshen up, simple as that
Stop being such a tedious bore.

Who decides it's time for a change? None of us ordinary plebs were consulted. There's clearly a significant number of the fanbase who associate with hoops. For the last 15 years, barring the odd season, we've worn them. What's so wrong with putting a hoop design on the list and letting fans choose for themselves whether it's time for a change? Why are some people so scared of this? In case the fans (who own the club by the way) make the "wrong" choice, that's why.

As for the woefully inept "At least we get to choose" line, if the club is willing to put choices which people don't particularly like, you'll get complaints, especially if they deliberately exclude a design which has been used (on and off) dating back over 100 years, purely for commercial reasons.

And anyway, it's not about it being "time for a change and a freshen up", it's about profit. My view is, while I understand those reasons, it's sad and disappointing that comes at the expense of what many people regard as the club's identity.

That's not whinging, it's a perfectly legitimate observation.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:27 pm

divas wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pm
theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 pm
D_F_C wrote:
The club are probably in an impossible position because if they keep hoops, they'd potentially lose cash and some people would complain, if you lose hoops you might gain some extra £, but have some people complain.

It's not an impossible position - make hoops one of the options - then let the fans decide. Surely then the most popular kit wins and sales will benefit. Unless we're saying that an less popular choice will sell better than a more popular choice?
Depends who is voting and if they have any inclination to buy the shirt at all. If you get a lot of people who prefer hoops but don’t buy shirts versus less people who vote non hoops but do buy shirts then....
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:35 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:31 pm
D_F_C wrote:
I don't think we've played in hoops for that much of the last 30 years, so to say it's our identity doesn't really work for me.
Not true, we've played in hoops for most of the last 30 years. If we go off this (http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Darling ... ington.htm), the club has a long association with hooped shirts. For around 45 years up to the mid-50s we played in hoops, changed to all-white shirts for about 35 years. Then for about 15 years we had various designs, including hoops and for the last 15 years, we've almost exclusively played in hoops.

Our successful seasons in the late 80s/early 90s were in hoops. Also, when have we had a good season when we haven't played in hoops? 2009/10 and 11/12 were the worst seasons I can remember.

It's not difficult to see why many people, particularly the younger supporters, see it as being part of the club's identity. And it's these younger supporters in particular we need to engage if the club is to have a viable future (not to say older supporters aren't important, but without an engaged younger fanbase now, the club's fanbase will diminish in future, catastrophic for a club that relies on supporters for its finances). And a big part of engaging supporters is making them feel part of something. That's where the identity comes into it.

Denying supporters the chance even to vote on an option of hoops out of fear it might be popular, is short-sighted for a club that's supposedly about the supporters.
I am fortunate to have many thousands of newspaper clippings ( Echo, Despatch, Gazette ). From early 20th century up until 1950's, particularly the war time leagues.
First second division game at Feethams in 1925. Hoops. League match on the cricket pitch next door. Hoops. I had to go back to 1897 and a photo
of the Durham cup winning team to find a shirt that wasn't hoops. ( Half black, half white, like a rugby shirt ). Not the quarters 'Historical Kits' show.
I would say for over 100 years of our history we have played in hoops.

bga

Post by bga » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:38 pm

divas wrote:
bga wrote:
Shame i think 3 would look better if design repeated on the back. Will not stop me buying one though.

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:47 pm

Reminds me a bit of the Boaty MacBoatface saga.Obviously the board didn’t want to give the fans a chance to vote for hoops in case they did just that.
Sadly commercial interests take precedence over tradition. As for the argument put forward that we should be grateful for a chance to vote don’t make me laugh. As a DFCSG member and a Boost the Budget supporter why the he’ll shouldn’t I and others be allowed a say?

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:47 pm

Reminds me a bit of the Boaty MacBoatface saga.Obviously the board didn’t want to give the fans a chance to vote for hoops in case they did just that.
Sadly commercial interests take precedence over tradition. As for the argument put forward that we should be grateful for a chance to vote don’t make me laugh. As a DFCSG member and a Boost the Budget supporter why the he’ll shouldn’t I and others be allowed a say?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:49 pm

Or has been listed above Puma didn't provide a hooped design this season.

Darlogramps

New kit

Post by Darlogramps » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:59 pm

lo36789 wrote:Or has been listed above Puma didn't provide a hooped design this season.
Nice try, but it was a decision by the board. See this from the club:

“In a break with recent tradition we have decided to produce designs which don’t feature hoops and instead have selected a number of designs which celebrate the heritage of alternative designs used throughout our history. Whilst hoops remain a key part of our identity, the board feel that a fresh approach was needed for the forthcoming season to provide a differentiation to recent seasons.”

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Ah right - I thought that was from someone in the know.

It may have have made more accepted as a 140th year thinv to celebrate some older designs - it is what it is now I guess.

It is easy for me to say as someone who has been quite keen on a quarters idea for a while.

I am not sure I agree with Old Git in terms of "as a DFCSG member and Boost the Budget support why shouldn't I get a chance to vote" - it definitely feels like a nice to have not a must have - but it is a good benefit of membership.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:13 pm

divas wrote:
bga wrote:
At least I will be able to make out the numbers on players' shirts. :thumbup:

Also for those who want hoops, just draw them in yourself :lol:

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:13 pm

bga wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:38 pm
divas wrote:
bga wrote:
Shame i think 3 would look better if design repeated on the back. Will not stop me buying one though.
Agree is that known for definite?

MCFCDarlo3
Team Supported: Manc born Darlo & City

Post by MCFCDarlo3 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:15 pm

I like 1, would be great as rest of the kit is White.

Would love to see the 3 small hoops design of late 60s early 70s (I think) as that is the first home kit I remember.

My first Darlo game in 1975 at SWFC, Darlo wore White shirts and Red shorts as an away kit!

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:34 am

Just a question, how many of you didn't buy a new shirt this year or last couple of years because they were very similar, we must remember we are fan owned and as such look to keep revenue from shirt sale moving,
I personally think that the right decision has been made to clear out the old and bring in a fresh design .number 3 good for me.

quakersam

Post by quakersam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:14 pm

Haven’t bought one since the Virgin trains shirt personally
QuakerSam ...Once a Quaker, always a Quaker

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 pm

I haven't bought a shirt for a good few years, due to no collar & the shirt being very similar each year.

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:57 pm
I haven't bought a shirt for a good few years, due to no collar & the shirt being very similar each year.
Don't forget the tie Pete!

bga

Post by bga » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:11 pm

onewayup wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:34 am
Just a question, how many of you didn't buy a new shirt this year or last couple of years because they were very similar, we must remember we are fan owned and as such look to keep revenue from shirt sale moving,
I personally think that the right decision has been made to clear out the old and bring in a fresh design .number 3 good for me.
Very good point time for me to ditch my Virgin Train shirt as I already said above.

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:22 pm

banktopp wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:35 pm
Darlogramps wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:31 pm
D_F_C wrote:

I am fortunate to have many thousands of newspaper clippings ( Echo, Despatch, Gazette ). From early 20th century up until 1950's, particularly the war time leagues.
First second division game at Feethams in 1925. Hoops. League match on the cricket pitch next door. Hoops. I had to go back to 1897 and a photo
of the Durham cup winning team to find a shirt that wasn't hoops. ( Half black, half white, like a rugby shirt ). Not the quarters 'Historical Kits' show.
I would say for over 100 years of our history we have played in hoops.
Happy to have been corrected by you and Gramps. My memories were telling me that Hoops weren't over used and I started following (as a young boy) in about 1989/90.

Whilst I've been corrected regarding Hoops, does the reasoning given by the board not deserve respect? Based on the info they have in front of them (which is more than we can see)
Hoops = less revenue
Not Hoops = "could" be more revenue

I know everything isn't about revenue, but you can at least see their point of view

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:52 pm

Whilst I appreciate the need of the for the club to generate as much revenue as possible how much do people think we generate from shirt sales?
Total guesswork but lets say we sell 400 and make £10 profit on each that would be £4000.
Lets further speculate that we somehow manage to sell 600 with a new design and make £6000. That would be extra revenue of £2000. Hardly a massive amount.
Let me stress I am not a retail expert and perhaps someone with that kind of background could offer a more informed opinion.