New kit

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

onewayup
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: New kit

Post by onewayup » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:21 pm

The answers to the question are exactly what was expected, alot of fans have not renewed year on year because of the similarity between the shirts,
This is exactly why the change is positive,
1) people will buy a new design
2) revenue will be up not by a lot maybe but more than previous year .

3 anymore revenue is always welcome.
We have to keep moving forward for the good of the club.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:48 pm

I've only ever had two shirts, both as birthday presents. I wouldn't buy another so I'm ambivalent about the choice and so won't vote. At least they're all pleasant to look at and not awful like those horrible Arsenal and Coventry tops back in the day. Mind you I like the sky blues two-tone. My wife says number 3.

Darlogramps

New kit

Post by Darlogramps » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:48 pm

Is it definitely because people are sick of hoops? I’m not seeing anything to support that idea.

I mean it could be, and it’s a perfectly logical thought process, but where’s the actual evidence to support that hypothesis?

Attendances have generally remained stubbornly around the 1200 to 1300 mark. Is the slowdown in shirt sales simply not reflective of the struggle to win supporters back more generally? What are the actual shirt sales numbers?

DFC - to answer your point, the board haven’t actually said it’s financial, just that we need to “freshen things up”. We all know it’s for commercial reasons, which is why some people are pissed off the board have decided for themselves to exclude hoops.

I don’t think anyone necessarily has shown a lack of respect for the commercial argument. We all get that, albeit I don’t actually see anything to support it. For me, the issue is the lack of consultation about something pertaining to our identity, particularly when the motive is financial and short-term.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:55 pm

quakersam wrote:Haven’t bought one since the Virgin trains shirt personally
Same here..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:59 pm

I’m really unconvinced by that argument (and it doesn’t justify deliberately subverting the fans by doing this).

I’m just not sold that suddenly having a new design that isn’t one we generally associate with the club, and I’m not convinced any of these will sell more than a hooped shirt.

This seasons is really quite similar to last years, but also the away kit is an absolute belter, which will have hit sales.

Personally I only ever wear them for five a side so pick up the occasional one in sales. I’d be more inclined to invest in some kind of cotton retro shirt. I know Toffs do some, but I wonder if our club could do some of our own. A modern, cotton take on the old three hooped kit, maybe with our modern badge on or something? I dunno, I’m not a designer. I’m just not a fan of sports gear generally for anything other than sport, and most of the club stuff we have is just a puma item with a badge stuck on it. Limited appeal to me, so I stick to my scarf and that is that!

Vokuhila

Post by Vokuhila » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:33 pm

onewayup wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:21 pm
The answers to the question are exactly what was expected, alot of fans have not renewed year on year because of the similarity between the shirts,
This is exactly why the change is positive,
1) people will buy a new design
2) revenue will be up not by a lot maybe but more than previous year .

3 anymore revenue is always welcome.
We have to keep moving forward for the good of the club.
I don't have a problem with the club moving away from hoops, but the assertion that shirt revenue will definitely be up on last year's is misguided.

There are so many factors that influence consumer behaviour (including a whole host of intangibles) - probably more so where football fans as a pretty particular set of individuals are concerned - that it'll be very hard to predict without significant prior consumer research whether there will be an upturn in sales. The proof will be in the pudding.

There is the possibility that revenue will actually fall.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:56 pm

This is the third year we have had hooped shirts that look remarkably similar and sales are down this year so I presume the assumption is that a fourth year of hoops would see sales drop even further. The assumption must be that something different will boost sales or at least avoid a further drop. Last year we offered 4 different hooped shirts, 2 fairly standard and 2 a bit different, and people voted for the one that resembled the previous years. Surely we could have used one of the more unusual hooped options as part of this years selection.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:45 pm

Agreed, there’s enough variations of hoops to keep it reasonably fresh. It’s supposed to be a Darlington shirt.

There has to be a seriously limited market for fans buying our kits anyway... I don’t wear one to games and I feel like I’m in the majority.

I’m entirely convinced those that do will often buy one of the home or away... not both. Which I think explains some drop off for the home shirt sales this year, but also doesn’t necessarily mean we will see much of an increase on them next year, if this is as unpopular as it seems along many fans (not all), and crucially it the away kit next year is decent.

divas

Post by divas » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:00 pm

There are variations of hoops but in the past most of those options have been panned by the fans during the voting process who only want “traditional” black and white hoops.

I can only think of the Glenwoods shirt recently that was different and that was probably chosen because there was no “traditional” hooped options in the vote - I think I remember at the time there was hell on about that when it was actually a very nice shirt. Best of a bad bunch etc etc

And let’s not get started on the fact we actually play in black and white horizontal stripes most of the time rather than hoops anyway.....

shawry

Post by shawry » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:10 pm

divas wrote: And let’s not get started on the fact we actually play in black and white horizontal stripes most of the time rather than hoops anyway.....
Absolutely this. Tbh glad that we are moving away from hoops/stripes for a season :)

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Last edited by shawry on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:39 pm

:shh: you can't please all of the fans all of the time.
We will see ????

H1987

Post by H1987 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:30 pm

divas wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:00 pm
There are variations of hoops but in the past most of those options have been panned by the fans during the voting process who only want “traditional” black and white hoops.

I can only think of the Glenwoods shirt recently that was different and that was probably chosen because there was no “traditional” hooped options in the vote - I think I remember at the time there was hell on about that when it was actually a very nice shirt. Best of a bad bunch etc etc

And let’s not get started on the fact we actually play in black and white horizontal stripes most of the time rather than hoops anyway.....
That’s definitely not true. I think it’s happened twice in my lifetime (and people complained about it then). It wasn’t common historically either. Our most common kit after hoops is white with black trim in some way (shoulders / armpits whatever).

I don’t mind sort of moving / changing the format of the hoops, so I don’t really have an issue with 2 this year as a singular hoop. I liked the pinstripe hoops too. But I really dislike that vertical stripe this year. It looks like a crap Newcastle concept shirt. Worst of the bunch imo.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:40 pm

I've gone right off 3 now, I kind of liked it at first because it was different but now it doesn't seem footbally enough.

My vote will end up being 2 or 1, although neither particularly get me going.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:08 am

Tbf 3 looks like hoops it's just half the hoop is black and the other is 'off-black' (grey)

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:15 pm

I’m not a fan of any of them but I think No 3 is particularly awful. From a distance I bet it will look like grey and white quarters.

B_Little

Post by B_Little » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:16 pm

A lot has been said about kit sales being down this year and that could well be true.

There was no kit in stock before Christmas so missing out on Christmas sales. Kit out of stock at the moment for most if not all sizes. Based on the lack of stock for at least the last two month there is no wonder the sales have dropped off.

It follows that if there is no stock there will be no sales as you can't order from the Shop unless the club artificially increase stock that will generate sales.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:40 pm

B_Little wrote:A lot has been said about kit sales being down this year and that could well be true.

There was no kit in stock before Christmas so missing out on Christmas sales. Kit out of stock at the moment for most if not all sizes. Based on the lack of stock for at least the last two month there is no wonder the sales have dropped off.

It follows that if there is no stock there will be no sales as you can't order from the Shop unless the club artificially increase stock that will generate sales.
Yes and if you order too much stock and you don't sell it then that's a waste of money so it's a catch 22 situation, I agree there should be more stock in all sizes for Christmas

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:47 pm

Judging by the posts on here - 3 looks like winning.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlogramps

New kit

Post by Darlogramps » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 pm

lo36789 wrote:Tbf 3 looks like hoops it's just half the hoop is black and the other is 'off-black' (grey)
No it doesn’t. It’d be like if Newcastle went for very thin vertical stripes and tried to claim it was the same.

It isn’t, everyone can see it isn’t. Even the board have said it isn’t. It’s bizarre you’re trying to pretend it is.

To refer back to my Animal Farm reference, you’re like an incompetent version of Squealer.
Last edited by Darlogramps on Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:58 pm

B_Little wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:16 pm

Wrong. Don’t know about pre Xmas but all sizes of the home shirt are currently in stock. Away shirts on order.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 pm

I think it has been a constant problem not getting stock for the summer or running out of stock quickly. Granted the club doesn't want to be left with stock that it has to discount in order to sell.

dfc4me

Post by dfc4me » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:10 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 pm
I think it has been a constant problem not getting stock for the summer or running out of stock quickly. Granted the club doesn't want to be left with stock that it has to discount in order to sell.
Quaker Retail are already discounting home shirts - down to £25 and all sizes in stock.

H1987

Post by H1987 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:11 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 pm
lo36789 wrote:Tbf 3 looks like hoops it's just half the hoop is black and the other is 'off-black' (grey)
No it doesn’t. It’d be like if Newcastle went for very thin vertical stripes and tried to claim it was the same.

It isn’t, everyone can see it isn’t. Even the board have said it isn’t. It’s bizarre you’re trying to pretend it is.

To refer back to my Animal Farm reference, you’re like an incompetent version of Squealer.
I'm fairly certain Southampton tried that and their fans hated it.

don'tbuythesun

Post by don'tbuythesun » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:15 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:56 pm

Wow talk about something flying over somebody's head :wtf:

bga

Post by bga » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:28 pm

dfc4me wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:10 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:46 pm
Quaker Retail are already discounting home shirts - down to £25 and all sizes in stock.
Time for those with a hoop fetish to fill their boots so to speak while stocks last!

Comfortably_numb

Post by Comfortably_numb » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:43 pm
Not a fan of any to be honest.

2 makes us look like Fulham, 4 looks like a training top.

3 is hideous.

So by process of elimination I’m stuck with 1.
I voted 3....just be contrary to DG :)

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:22 pm

Looks like 3 will win, Gramps won't be happy, haha :lol:

grytters

Post by grytters » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:56 am

The quarters.
Bring Back the Quarters

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:10 am

Well at least all the speculation will be finished today, when the outcome of the vote will be announced.