Eight games in 29 days.

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

theoriginalfatcat
Team Supported: Darlington

Eight games in 29 days.

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:25 pm

I’ve been following Darlo close to 25 years and I’m sure I’ve never seen 8 consecutive games before - and that’s in the space of a month too. I saw a lot of matches during our last promotion season and also in the Northern League, but in groups of up to 4 or 5 in a row - never 8.

This recent football binge has been down to a mild winter, accessible away games and 3 bonus cup games at home - and
It’s been great too. I’ve enjoyed every game except the Spennymoor away match which was badly spoilt by the off pitch happenings.

So it started on 21 Dec with a brilliant way win at York-
- then on the 26th a 2/1 win V S’moor.
- on the 28th, Blyth away, a 2 nil win.
- then on 1/1/20 Spennymoor away, a 3/1 loss and “Fencegate”
- Gloucester at home, 2/1 win (4th Jan)
- then the best game I.M.O , a 1 nil win V Solihull (8th Jan)
- Harrogate at home, a 2 nil loss but enjoyable all the same (11/1)
- and finally our 3 nil win against the one dimensional Alfreton. (18/1)

That’s 6 wins and 2 losses in the space of 29 days, which is really really impressive.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

Darlo_Pete

Re: Eight games in 29 days.

Post by Darlo_Pete » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 pm

18 out of a possible 21 available is nothing short of promotion form.

biccynana

Post by biccynana » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 pm
15 from 18, but still not too shabby.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:01 pm

biccynana wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:06 pm
Darlo_Pete wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 pm
15 from 18, but still not too shabby.
Two of the eight were cup games, so yes, 15 points - it seems we don’t do draws anymore.

When Tommy was here I was pleased with a draw :thumbdown:
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:47 am

Would take a couple of draws in our next away games v Guiseley & Chester

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:36 am

Draw your 'difficult' away matches and win at home puts you in a strong position over a season. However, really draws get you nowhere and winning matches creates the big moves. I'd be going to Guiseley and Chester expecting to win, on current form and despite our defence it may be a case of winning these 4-3. :thumbup:
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:31 am

jjljks wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:47 am
I reckon 4 points are achievable from the next 2 games. We have a lot of momentum at the moment. The only fly in the ointment is our makeshift defence, which could be found out.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:56 am

real_darlo_85 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:36 am
I'd be going to Guiseley and Chester expecting to win
I think expecting a win is optimistic. Especially away from home against sides that are above you in the division when your record is W3 D1 L7 away from home!

I am hopeful we can get something given form - but I definitely don't expect a win!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:09 am

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:31 am
jjljks wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:47 am
I reckon 4 points are achievable from the next 2 games. We have a lot of momentum at the moment. The only fly in the ointment is our makeshift defence, which could be found out.
I have read a couple of times now that we will be with a "makeshift defence" or that "all of our back 4" are out..
Hedley (though not a right back) has kept his place in that position since he started playing for us .
.Laing has been our best defender over the last 5 games (in My Opinion) and has played there most of the season.
Watson has shown that he does not let us down and has played a lot of games at both centre back and at left back.. The only problem we really have is who will play if Liddle, Galbraith and Storey are all out... That will be our only worry.
In terms of games played the aforementioned players are probably the most experienced this season at playing at the back and though may be found wanting at times, I don't think they will let us down..
The only reason tonights back 4 can be described as makeshift is because someone will have to come in at centre back if Storey can't make it.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:13 am

If Storey doesn't make it, I'd expect Reid to be asked to fill in like on Saturday.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:20 am

Tonight will be our 9th game in 32 days!

The fixtures just keep on coming at us and for this reason I don't expect much to be gleaned from this trip to Guisely - we will be lucky to get a draw I.M.O.
Profile pic ↗️
Now extinct!

en passant

Post by en passant » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:29 pm

I think our away form still needs a bit more work on it before expectations of a win can be thought as a given. Good runs certainly get the confidence flowing for both the team and the fans, but I still feel that we are a bit fragile on our travels in the league and certainly need a few more back to back wins there to get the same momentum we have seen at home. That we have made it to a current 7th place has been largely on the back of excellent home form. I think we still wait to see where we truly lie once we have caught up with the away games. Tonight's game holds possibilities of getting a win, but I still think that is going depend heavily on how we settle in to the game and hold that form. Spennymoor showed that we still have the capacity to be a one half team, and failure to capitalise on the chances when the present themselves has certainly cost us quite a few points already. As ever we travel in hope rather than expectation.

real_darlo_85

Post by real_darlo_85 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:20 pm

The significance of winning tonight is that it has bought us a 'free hit' at Chester, I think we now have a buffer to at least 7th even if we lose and accounting for other teams having games in hand... that is the important difference between winning games like tonight and drawing. We are playoff contenders.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"