Guiseley

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

divas
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Guiseley

Post by divas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 am

QF 29th April
SF 3rd May
F 9th May

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:10 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:54 pm
According to the radio commentator, Reid is our emergency keeper option.

So he can attack, defend and play in goal.
Blimey when they said he could play anywhere in the spine of the team they really meant it!
Hatfield clearly the signing of the season but Reid another brilliant acquisition . Only concern is the number of defensive injury casualties but great to see Atkinson back.
Surprised at the attendance figure of 859. Guessed at 1000/1100 with approximately 350 away fans.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:25 am

theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Tbh I hate it when we don’t have a keeper on the bench, one day it’ll bite us on the arse.
I believe last night Connell was unavailable due to work commitments, do we have any other cover?

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:43 am

comeondarlo wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:25 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

Tbh I hate it when we don’t have a keeper on the bench, one day it’ll bite us on the arse.
I believe last night Connell was unavailable due to work commitments, do we have any other cover?
I don't know. Logically it does seem daft to carry a player on your bench and reduce your options just for the 1 in 125 games that you actually need them (estimate of 50 games per season and a losing keeper 'event' happens every 2.5 seasons).

Even then the worst case scenario is it "costs" you one game, and that is dependent on the fill in keeper making a howler.

With the change in law two season ago a keeper being sent off is now a much more rare occurrence and it's certainly within their gift to avoid it a lot more now.

I kind of think economically having one senior goalkeeper is enough. You then turn to the loan market for a couple of games if there is an absence and if there is a delay sorting it then promote your junior goalkeeper as a stop gap.

comeondarlo

Post by comeondarlo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:21 pm

lo36789 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:43 am
comeondarlo wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:25 am
theoriginalfatcat wrote:

I don't know. Logically it does seem daft to carry a player on your bench and reduce your options just for the 1 in 125 games that you actually need them (estimate of 50 games per season and a losing keeper 'event' happens every 2.5 seasons).

Even then the worst case scenario is it "costs" you one game, and that is dependent on the fill in keeper making a howler.

With the change in law two season ago a keeper being sent off is now a much more rare occurrence and it's certainly within their gift to avoid it a lot more now.

I kind of think economically having one senior goalkeeper is enough. You then turn to the loan market for a couple of games if there is an absence and if there is a delay sorting it then promote your junior goalkeeper as a stop gap.
I can’t make up my mind if you agree with me or not! The first bit of your post suggests not but your last paragraph suggests you do; personally I’d be happy with your final paragraph.
I think it was Blyth away, Connell was in the Darlo end and there was no keeper on the bench; I really don’t get that!

My opinion is tainted by a game in 2006, Notts Co away. We were 1-0 up at half time and our keeper gets injured. There’s no keeper on the bench (even though the reserve keeper travelled) so Phil Stamp goes in goal, we lost 3-2!

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:39 pm

divas wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 am
QF 29th April
SF 3rd May
F 9th May
:thumbup: thanks

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:52 pm

A proper team effort.

Don't think Watson deserves being canned. He probably should have done better for the goal. Remember that Felix is IMO one of the best and quickest players in this league. Wouldn't mind him here. I do remember that on two occasions Guiseley got into some good positions and Watson made the criticial interception.

Wiseacre
Team Supported: Darlington &Notts County

Post by Wiseacre » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:59 pm

:thumbup: All bets are off now. Digging out a result at Guisley in mid-week in January is promotion form. There's a brilliant vibe at the club and I think we can do it higher up.on the evidence of those cup.games. The fans who are diaryng the play offs know the score.

PierremontQuaker03

Post by PierremontQuaker03 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:17 pm

Even with all the injuries we have now - I wonder if Alun decides to leave things as is. Reid can play CB, and Gaz Martin can come in to replace Reid up front. Atkinson can play full back so I believe so he can give Watson a rest when required. Bringing a player in might upset this tight nit squad we have - such as shame we had to lose Lambert but I am hopeful he might come back as the lad definitely has something about him.
“If you can't hit a driver, don't.”
Greg Norman

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:32 pm

We can't go up with Blackwell in it's current state can we?

I could be wrong like, but sure we would need to spend money on it, which is a concern when we only have a licence to play games on a match day.

Saying that, as well as we are playing we would have to achieve promotion ahead of York, Chester, Brackley, Boston, Spennymoor etc etc, which is doable with this management and playing staff, but would be a tall order.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:39 pm

Gow9900 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:32 pm
We can't go up with Blackwell in it's current state can we?
We can - it would just need some work doing to it to be able to stay up

Gow9900

Post by Gow9900 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:43 pm

Cheers for that. Wasn;t 100% sure.

Just enjoying watching this team at the moment, amazing the transformation in less than a year. Full credit to Armstrong, Holloway and all the players.

HarrytheQuaker

Post by HarrytheQuaker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:03 pm

I love Will Hatfield 's interview, a Guiseley player walking behind and said on the way past Glad you went to a proper club Will or something along them lines... Sour grapes me thinks

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Now that does make for good reading....

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/darl ... uide/eight

Old Git

Post by Old Git » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:56 pm

Great interviews with AA and Will on website. Really positive vibe around the club at present. Have not believed we were good enough to make playoffs but last night was a pivotal win for me. The players genuinely look like they believe so perhaps the fans just have to go along with it and give these lads their full support. Come on some of you part time fans get down to Blackwell on 1st February get behind the team and be part of the experience.Even if we lose at Chester we will still be right in the playoff mix and deserve better crowds. Lets hope we can get over 1500 for Guiseley at home.

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Just need to look at this to see why more should be getting on board....

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:14 pm

LoidLucan wrote:Just need to look at this to see why more should be getting on board....

Really impressive stats from us but shocked to see The Pride have only 8 points from a possible 24.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:44 pm

QUAKERMAN2 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:14 pm
LoidLucan wrote:Just need to look at this to see why more should be getting on board....

Really impressive stats from us but shocked to see The Pride have only 8 points from a possible 24.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've had a quick peek re the Spennymoor stats, apart from us, Bradford are the only other team that they've beaten in their last 8 games.

What a bunch of turkeys.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:22 pm

Old Git wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:56 pm
Great interviews with AA and Will on website. Really positive vibe around the club at present. Have not believed we were good enough to make playoffs but last night was a pivotal win for me. The players genuinely look like they believe so perhaps the fans just have to go along with it and give these lads their full support. Come on some of you part time fans get down to Blackwell on 1st February get behind the team and be part of the experience.Even if we lose at Chester we will still be right in the playoff mix and deserve better crowds. Lets hope we can get over 1500 for Guiseley at home.
Thought we were superb last night and glad I made the trip. Early days but what happens if we made it to NL how on earth are we going to fund a squad to compete. Probably better we get into playoffs with all the extra income that will produce.

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:56 pm

If we get to the playoffs, I doubt any side would fancy playing us. Even if they are at home, with our away support we'd make them feel like they were the away team.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:25 pm

Darlo_Pete wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:56 pm
If we get to the playoffs, I doubt any side would fancy playing us. Even if they are at home, with our away support we'd make them feel like they were the away team.
Long way to go and our form now is not our form if we made the play offs.

Also away we are likely to only get the minimum amount of tickets allowed against most teams, so whilst we would have good away support it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference - York and Chester would have large home crowds, Spenny would only give us 600 tickets, Boston would have a decent crowd etc.

Also if we finished 6th or 7th then the first game is away and midweek. Can't see us taking a massive 1k down to Brackley on a Tuesday night etc.

Basically we wouldn't make them feel like the away team generally.