Darlington V Solihull Moors

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

Darlo2807
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Darlington V Solihull Moors

Post by Darlo2807 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:38 pm

darlobaz791 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:21 pm
Some squad we have as well. Gary Martin is allegedly sorted for Saturday. AA has a tough job to select the team if Wheatley is fit too. Not to mention Reid cup-tied, Atkinson back on the bench, Holmes running pre-match. Can’t wait for Saturday! Interestingly we play it to a finish without a replay. Straight to extra time and pens.
Interesting. Could be a master stroke if it was us who refused to play extra time in Solihull.

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:43 pm

Fantastic win tonight.

We seemed nervous for the first 25 minutes or so and then tried to play a bit football, Elliott's save was excellent. 2nd half only one team in it and I thought we just about deserved the win.

Amazing to have Connell, Reid, Wheatley, Martin, Trotman, Holmes and in reality Atkinson missing and we could still put out a really good starting 11 and have decent subs.

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:46 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:29 pm
No wonder they only had about 15 fans tonight. I wouldn't cross the road to watch dreadful hoofball like that, never mind suffer a 340 mile round trip on a Wednesday night. Constantly lumping the ball into the air for the many giants is clearly effective in their league but I'm glad that dreadful way of playing the game got what it deserved. Well done to our lads for digging in and repelling the bombardment and for making sure football won in the end.
Awful to watch. Well organised but just launch it forward

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm

"We had enough chances to win 5 games."

- Tim Flowers :lol:

DARLODAH

Post by DARLODAH » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:01 pm

Superb all round performance AGAIN!
There was only 1 team capable of playing any decent type of football.
Solihull were an embarrassment to the game of football...(hoofball).
Off to find the tube of Ralgex to ease my aching neck!

JasonDeVos

Post by JasonDeVos » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:21 pm

LoidLucan wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:59 pm
"We had enough chances to win 5 games."

What game was he watching?

QUAKERMAN2

Post by QUAKERMAN2 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:45 pm

LoidLucan wrote:"We had enough chances to win 5 games."

Doesn’t know what he is talking about, credit where credits due Flowers, only one team played football how it should be played and it certainly wasn’t Solihull.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quakersfan

Post by quakersfan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:11 am

Wasn’t going to go last night but glad I did, players put real graft in a deserved hard fought win.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:19 am

Baldrick had a better plan than Tim "Lumpit" Flowers. Did they think they were playing our rugby club landlords? As the Tin Shed sang, "National League? You're having a laugh!"

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:30 am

To be honest the direct style of play doesn't sound too different to what we used to get to our current division.

There isn't one way to play football - which is why Stoddarts report seems to be a little patronising towards Solihull.

From what I can pick up they did have more chances than us and for the first half were on top and could have scored on a couple of occasions in the second half.

Brilliant win though and hopefully go into the game with Harrogate full of confidence. Harrogate are on a four game winning streak as well.

I mean you might hope they have focus on the league being in 3rd place but I don't even know how they can get promoted. They have no on site parking, their changing facilities aren't FL standard and their pitch is artificial.

MB86DFC

Post by MB86DFC » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:50 am

lo36789 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:30 am
To be honest the direct style of play doesn't sound too different to what we used to get to our current division.

There isn't one way to play football - which is why Stoddarts report seems to be a little patronising towards Solihull.

From what I can pick up they did have more chances than us and for the first half were on top and could have scored on a couple of occasions in the second half.

Brilliant win though and hopefully go into the game with Harrogate full of confidence. Harrogate are on a four game winning streak as well.

I mean you might hope they have focus on the league being in 3rd place but I don't even know how they can get promoted. They have no on site parking, their changing facilities aren't FL standard and their pitch is artificial.
Weavers Daddy will see to those little problems

Darlogramps

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:57 am

lo36789 wrote:To be honest the direct style of play doesn't sound too different to what we used to get to our current division.

This. Some of our fans on here are guilty of it too. It’s all rather embarrassing and Stoddart should know better, particularly as we were happy to play directly ourselves a few years back.

There’s a real snobbery about sides who play long ball, when in fact it’s just as legitimate a tactic as keeping it on the deck. There’s a difference between a well-executed long ball strategy and simply humping it long without thought of course, but sides shouldn’t be looked down upon for playing long ball.

You don’t get bonus points for how you do it, all that matters is putting the ball into the net.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:10 am

Us under Tommy Taylor - we were the ultimate long ball side!

super_les_mcjannet

Post by super_les_mcjannet » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 am

It's awful to watch but if you are winning and dominating the game then you don't mind. Spenny play a lot more of ball from back to front quickly these days from when they used to play a lot of pass and move football.

I much prefer how we play currently though and would rather watch that, might feel different if we lost every week though. I suppose it shows how well AA has done to not only build a squad that wins its fair share of games but they also play some decent fast flowing football at times.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:15 am

Long ball is a legitimate tactic, I agree. Teams can play how they wish to within the rules of the game, however it's bleak to watch.

When I came away from Spennymoor on New Years Day I thought that if they were my local team I wouldn't go, they were just so awful to watch, one dimensional, aggressive, pump it up football, horrible. Last night, Solihull weren't as bad as that but still it is dull - however I thought we rode our luck in the first half as they had attack after attack and by strength alone, imposed their style of play onto us.

It was a good game but I reckon if they'd really wanted it - wanted it in a 100%, 5 subs on the bench sort of a way they could have upped it to another gear.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:40 am

I hate the long ball football that was churned out by Solihull last night and they got what they deserved in my opinion.
I hated it when Gray did it, I hated it when Wright did it and I hate it now.
Their main tactic last night was to lump it high and long to feed the big lads up front... I have no problem with long passes but last night was just lumping it.
Our two centre backs Laing and Storey were brilliant and were the reason they never scored.. Time and time again they challenged in the air so that when Solihull won the header (and they won a lot) they could not get the power or direction to beat Elliot who was also brilliant.
I am so pleased that we are playing nice to watch football, and if that is snobbery then I'm a snob.. I know what I like

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:46 am

super_les_mcjannet wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:11 am
I much prefer how we play currently though and would rather watch that, might feel different if we lost every week though.
Isn't that basically what we had under Wright? Players tried to play decent football, but it ended up just being side to side passing and we lost every week :lol:

I don't mind long ball per se, as long as it's not aimless, but Armstrong has us in a really good place - playing good football, and winning plenty of games. It's an exciting time, as not only is this season still very much alive in terms of the playoffs (and the Trophy), but you can easily see how with just one of two tweaks we can take another big step forwards next season. Add in the squad all seem to want to be here, there's a connection between players and fans again, and even if we play badly there's no doubt the players all put in 100%, and this is turning into a very enjoyable season :thumbup:

Darlogramps

Darlington V Solihull Moors

Post by Darlogramps » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:48 am

My opinion wrote:I hate the long ball football that was churned out by Solihull last night and they got what they deserved in my opinion.
Their main tactic last night was to lump it high and long to feed the big lads up front... I have no problem with long passes but last night was just lumping it.
Our two centre backs Laing and Storey were brilliant and were the reason they never scored.. Time and time again they challenged in the air so that when Solihull won the header (and they won a lot) they could not get the power or direction to beat Elliot who was also brilliant.
I am so pleased that we are playing nice to watch football, and if that is snobbery then I'm a snob.. I know what I like
I guess it’s just different perspectives and opinions. For me, well-executed long ball is good to watch. There’s more technical skill required than some give it credit for. Aimless hoofball isn’t.

In the same way, passing football when well-executed is good to watch. But when you’re watching misplaced passes from players who aren’t suited to that style (i.e us under TW last year) then passing football is pretty bleak to watch too. Likewise if it’s tedious side-to-side.

But to me, there’s no right or better way to play football. Goals are all that matter.
If ever you're bored or miserable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZohZoadGY

LoidLucan

Post by LoidLucan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:52 am

They did take it to another level. I don't think I've ever been to a match in which I've seen that kind of tactic used to such a degree. It seemed for long stretches all that happened was the keeper or defenders just punted the ball as long and high as they possibly could over and over again in the hope of getting a flick-on or a header on goal. Perhaps it's why despite having a 32-man professional squad they have begun drifting away from the title fight (two wins in the last six league matches) as other sides get to grips with Flowers' style of football. It also made for awful watching and I think a lot of people who attended last night felt that. I was surprised that there was no attempt at all to mix and match and seek another way through. Despite Flowers' assertion about creating "umpteen gilt-edged chances to score" I didn't think that was the story of the game at all.

I think it's fair to comment on that style of football particularly when the extent to which it was used was a real talking point at last night's match. I'll leave the last comment to one of their own fans after they recently lost a game to Notts County: "Absolutely terrible game of football. We don’t appear to have any kind of method to score goals except hoofing the ball up to our strikers and hoping it bounces favourably." Quite.

My opinion

Post by My opinion » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:20 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:48 am
My opinion wrote:I hate the long ball football that was churned out by Solihull last night and they got what they deserved in my opinion.
I guess it’s just different perspectives and opinions. For me, well-executed long ball is good to watch. There’s more technical skill required than some give it credit for. Aimless hoofball isn’t.

In the same way, passing football when well-executed is good to watch. But when you’re watching misplaced passes from players who aren’t suited to that style (i.e us under TW last year) then passing football is pretty bleak to watch too. Likewise if it’s tedious side-to-side.

But to me, there’s no right or better way to play football. Goals are all that matter.
Fair comment.
Don't get me wrong, I don't have any problems with long passes as they are intended to create.. But last night was the worst style of football you could possibly witness.
I do enjoy pass and move, flowing football, But sometimes get frustrated with us as we often see a pass too many around the box instead of a shot
At this moment I'd rather be a Darlo fan watching what we do in our league than a Solihull fan watching what they do in their league.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:24 am

LoidLucan wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:52 am
"Absolutely terrible game of football. We don’t appear to have any kind of method to score goals except hoofing the ball up to our strikers and hoping it bounces favourably." Quite.

This comment LoidLucan, perfectly sums up Spennymoors first goal on New Years Day!

I know all teams do this once or twice a game, even Man Utd, but to base your whole strategy on it is woeful.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:25 am

Fair play to our lads night, Solihull had so many corners I thought with so many big uns coming up for them one was bound to go in, we defended them well, and sheer panic with some fast break out play.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

mr solimoors
Team Supported: SOLIHULL

Post by mr solimoors » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:09 pm

what a load of rubbish we murdered you, we were a class aprt
we just couldnt score, you had one chance on our goal just before ht.
OK YOU WERE A BIT BETTER SECOND HALF, but we still had chances
can i ask.. Q) who was YOUR Man of the Match picked by you

Yes Your goalkeeper !!

we cant have been that bad then...

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:13 pm

mr solimoors wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:09 pm

Yes Your goalkeeper !!

Did your jury of 12 away fans come to that verdict unanimously or was it just a majority decision?

ex-exile

Post by ex-exile » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:17 pm

mr solimoors wrote:

Yes Your goalkeeper !!

It funny how some supporters get deluded,a football game is won by one team scoring more goals than the other.

AndyPark

Post by AndyPark » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:21 pm

mr solimoors wrote:

Yes Your goalkeeper !!

We scored, you didn't.
We won, you didn't.
You left empty handed.

I rest my case, now p*ss off :wave:

aveda

Post by aveda » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:29 pm

Attempts on goal Darlo 14 Solihull 15
Attempts on target Darlo 6 Solihull 6

Clearly they murdered us :roll:

D_F_C

Post by D_F_C » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:14 pm

Must be a massive Tim Flowers fan. Every time I hear his interviews he sounds deluded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:43 pm

I'm sure Tim Flowers applied for our job when TW got the job.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:26 am

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:43 pm
I'm sure Tim Flowers applied for our job when TW got the job.
Probably just taking a punt on getting it😅