Gary Martin

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

MB86DFC
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Gary Martin

Post by MB86DFC » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:42 pm

quakersfan wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:52 pm
Beano wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:33 pm
It sill makes me shudder when I think about the wages Styche and Ainge were allegedly paid by us last season.
No one knows what the players are on as it’s sensitive however the playing budget at £330k is very similar to last year under Tommy. Remember Tommy had to sell 3 times the FA Cup windfall of £100k has saved AA from that scenario or he may had been in the same situation as Tommy was in Jan/Feb.
Jesus wept. Tommy was utter shite as a manager, stop trying to justify his tenure. He was mostly shite before he came, shite during his spell, and has been shite after. Nice bloke and maybe a decent coach but certainly not someone I’d want to see managing my club ever again.

cuppabovril

Post by cuppabovril » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:33 pm

Back to topic of gary... paperworks all done so should be playing a part Saturday

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:24 am

Is he eligible for FA Trophy games?
Certainly would give us another welcome option up front if he is available.

cuppabovril

Post by cuppabovril » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:48 am

Yes. He wasnt eligible for last nights game as we had to field same squad as first leg

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:56 am

cuppabovril wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:48 am
Yes. He wasnt eligible for last nights game as we had to field same squad as first leg
Thanks! Looking forward to see what threat Martin can add. Could be another key signing by AA (like Hatfield) which helps us make a real challenge for promotion.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:11 pm

Can we honestly afford promotion.. Its great that weve genuinely got a good chance to push on but if we did manage to do would it benifut ua as a club... The costs have been talked about before and we would struggle to raise those funds

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Darlo_Pete

Post by Darlo_Pete » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:15 pm

I wouldn't be happy if we turned down the opportunity to get promoted.

onewayup

Post by onewayup » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:09 pm

The game is to be the best that you can be playing at the highest level you can achieve, so for me if we are in with a chance we have got to take it and see where we can go from there, if it's not to be so be it , you never stop trying to attain the highest playing level that you can achieve. :thumbup:.
You never know what's round the corner as they say.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:09 pm

We just live within our means - if we end up like Chorley this season then that is kind of the way it goes.

al_quaker

Post by al_quaker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm

The biggest worry if we do get promoted is the ground situation. If we get up and the players we can afford aren't enough to stay in the league then c'est la vie. However, can we find the cash to get BM up to conference national standard in time? And thats if we even want to spend that cash at BM - raising another 6 figure fee for a ground we aren't sure is our long term home would be a hard sell.

Anyway, I'm sure these discussions have been had backstage, and I think they'll probably be moot this season. We're looking good, but the chances of us getting promoted are pretty slim I think

Yarblockos

Post by Yarblockos » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:33 pm

al_quaker wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm
The biggest worry if we do get promoted is the ground situation. If we get up and the players we can afford aren't enough to stay in the league then c'est la vie. However, can we find the cash to get BM up to conference national standard in time? And thats if we even want to spend that cash at BM - raising another 6 figure fee for a ground we aren't sure is our long term home would be a hard sell.

Anyway, I'm sure these discussions have been had backstage, and I think they'll probably be moot this season. We're looking good, but the chances of us getting promoted are pretty slim I think
If only there was another football stadium in the town we could use.

lo36789

Post by lo36789 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Thing is we can get promoted where we are - we just need to do a load of work when there.

If we look like staying in the division then maybe the call to action is more likely to be fulfilled - if it looks like we will be relegated then it probably won't.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:56 pm

If, by some miracle, we did get promotion, I am sure there would be another miracle. The fans would get behind the club to somehow do the necessary. Be a lovely problem to have 👍

Darlo_CR

Post by Darlo_CR » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:05 pm

If we were to be promoted this season the only option would be the arena, it's as simple as that. Unless the rugby club have a miraculous reversal on their current terms, DJ doesn't want to invest anymore money in the place.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:06 pm

If we were to go up then we'd have to start fundraising in the summer. The time it would take to do everything to get the ground up to scratch would mean we wouldn't have the luxury of waiting to see. All improvements have to be signed off by the 31st March. In reality you'd need your ground grading check done at least a month in advance (end of Feb) which gives you time to fine tune anything needed by the 31st March, so actually really tight deadlines.

karlo-cardiff

Post by karlo-cardiff » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Its a problem that if we continue the way we are it could be sooner rather than later.. We've beaten teams in the playoff positions so no reason why we couldn't do.. I personally think we'll finish above spenny who you all think are guaranteed a playoff spot

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Darlo_CR wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:05 pm
If we were to be promoted this season the only option would be the arena, it's as simple as that. Unless the rugby club have a miraculous reversal on their current terms, DJ doesn't want to invest anymore money in the place.
I've heard that DJ has been trying to renegotiate terms with the rugby club. Sad if that's true. I would have thought that the Arena could be used as a bit of leverage against the rugby club.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:07 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
I've heard that DJ has been trying to renegotiate terms with the rugby club. Sad if that's true. I would have thought that the Arena could be used as a bit of leverage against the rugby club.
Why is it sad?

Surely trying to renegotiate means he's discussing whether he can get us better terms, which would be a good thing. Maybe he's doing exactly what you suggest and using the Arena as leverage to get a better deal. Otherwise why would be be renegotiating?!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

EDJOHNS

Post by EDJOHNS » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Nice that the word promotion is being spoken of again as a possibility rather than some far off dream.
I would have thought that if we are anywhere near serious contenders come the end of next month the club will be asking questions about what needs doing to the ground to get the grading required. It is ok reading the law book, but different people interpret differently so we need from the horse's mouth the exact extent of work needed to be finished.
Is there not more funding/grants available if we go up? Would swear somewhere at the back of my mind it was said we could apply for more grants if in the National league, also after 5 years of last grants. When does that date run out?
Of course we must take promotion if at all possible, making sure that AA is hand in hand re' the budget should we do so and hope for the best.
I would hope that we avoid any more fiasco's and that before promotion is won the club would be in a position to tell us exactly the work needed and also the full costs of getting the job done.
My only worry would be should we get promoted and then lose week after week next season would the balloon go up to increase the budget to stay in the National league.

jjljks

Post by jjljks » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:03 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:07 pm
Darlo_CR wrote:
Renegotiation is not sad but a shrewd move & commercially sensible. I agree with DJ that BM is no place for us to invest even more money, given the current stance of DRUFC.
It may also be part of further negotiations on the Sporting Village so let us leave it to the Board to continue guiding us to a future which is commercially viable whilst AA gives us an entertaining & winning team capable of promotion and maintaining a NL position.

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:20 pm

Maybe I wasn't clear enough Spyman. What I find is sad is that the rugby club is unwilling to budge.
EdJohns, I think we can access grants 5 years after the last lot, so not next year but the year after.

theoriginalfatcat

Post by theoriginalfatcat » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:44 pm

I don’t think we will finish above Spennymoor (Karlo-Cardiff) if this happens then Ainsley should be replaced. However we may be able to get a 6th or 7th place finish, which would entail us winning three away ties in quick succession to get promotion. Possible, but a tall order!

D.J. Will have a plan if we do the near impossible - we can’t not try though.
Profile pic ↗️
Feethams the Panda. 28 Jan 2012.
Now extinct!

H1987

Post by H1987 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Spyman wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:07 pm
Vodka_Vic wrote:
Darlo_CR wrote:
Why is it sad?

Surely trying to renegotiate means he's discussing whether he can get us better terms, which would be a good thing. Maybe he's doing exactly what you suggest and using the Arena as leverage to get a better deal. Otherwise why would be be renegotiating?!

Agreed, that is a good idea and what I hope is going on.

Unfortunately, some are obsessed with the white elephant still.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:58 pm

Vodka_Vic wrote:Maybe I wasn't clear enough Spyman. What I find is sad is that the rugby club is unwilling to budge.
EdJohns, I think we can access grants 5 years after the last lot, so not next year but the year after.
Do you know they are unwilling to budge? If so then what is Johnston negotiating?

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Vodka_Vic

Post by Vodka_Vic » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:19 pm

Darlo CR said it himself as well. There needs to be a 'Dramatic reversal' as he said. The problem is that the terms agreed in the first place weren't particularly favourable to us and so to be fair the rugby club would have to move a lot in our direction.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 am

Maybe I've lost the plot (and it happens) but I thought when MG through a wobbler because we didn't have enough seats in to allow us into the play offs, we now have the seats, so what else do we now need to take us to the next level?
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:57 am

poppyfield wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 am
Maybe I've lost the plot (and it happens) but I thought when MG through a wobbler because we didn't have enough seats in to allow us into the play offs, we now have the seats, so what else do we now need to take us to the next level?
A category A ground with 4,000 capacity, 500+ seats, and all of the other required bells and whistles. This would need to be in place by 31st March in the first season after promotion, at the very latest.

Our ground is currently category B with a 3,300 capacity, though to get category B you only need 250 seats, and we now have 588 due to the league's insistence (or was it the FA?) that you have to have 500 permanent seats to take part in the play offs.

poppyfield

Post by poppyfield » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:03 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:57 am
poppyfield wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 am
A category A ground with 4,000 capacity, 500+ seats, and all of the other required bells and whistles. This would need to be in place by 31st March in the first season after promotion, at the very latest.

Our ground is currently category B with a 3,300 capacity, though to get category B you only need 250 seats, and we now have 588 due to the league's insistence (or was it the FA?) that you have to have 500 permanent seats to take part in the play offs.
Alles klar , thanks Ghost.
Help get the club back to Darlo by helping to spread the word about the "Back to Darlo!" fund. The image on the right will be constantly updated with the latest total so please feel free to use the image link below the thermometer on your own signatures, blogs, websites, etc.Image
Image link: http://www.mydarlo.co.uk/img/BTD-therm-350x100.jpg