Team of the decade

Open now for discussion of all things Darlo!

Moderators: mikkyx, uncovered

tezza
Team Supported: Darlington

Re: Team of the decade

Post by tezza » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:36 am

banktopp wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:36 am
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:08 pm

I stopped going in 2012 so I haven't seen anything in the pub leagues, so take your pick.
I would hardly class our matches this season as "pub league", anything but.
There are many others like you who stopped going to watch us after demotion to Northern League, and others who would not go to
the Arena. We need you back. Get down to to BM and you will be surprised at the quality, commitment and energy of the team we now have.
After recent games we are a match for anyone in this league, and IMO are in with a good chance of the play offs and promotion to the National League, which is where you left us.
Look at this guys details. Joined 2013, year after he stopped attending, location Hereford ? ? ?

JE93

Post by JE93 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:46 am

Darlogramps wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:29 am
An idea shamelessly stolen from Twitter – who makes up your Darlingotn team of the decade? I’ve judged mine on a mix of contribution to the team, impact and ability.

Goalkeeper – Sam Russell – We’ve had a lot of good keepers but no one has really stood out so I’ve gone for Russell who, in terms of ability, was probably our best keeper of the decade.

Right back – Luke Trotman –
Could’ve gone with Stephen Harrison but I think Trotman just edges it. If his recovery goes well, he has the potential to really kick on, either for us or higher up the pyramid.

Centre back – Gary Brown – Can’t find any reason for him not to be in the side. Best position was always as centre back for me. His leadership skills more than anything set him apart and we missed him badly in the months after TW got rid of him.

Centre back – Ian Miller – Captain for the FA Trophy win. Stood by us during the difficult times and came into his own. I remember a tackle he made on a Gateshead player during the second leg of the FA Trophy semi-final, which probably saved the tie for us.

Left back – Terry Galbraith – Has played in multiple positions but I’ve put him in as left back where he first started when he joined. Has been with us for all but a few months in that Northern League season and has rarely let us down.

Midfielder – Phil Turnbull – Classiest midfielder I’ve seen for us since 2012. Controlled and broke up play superbly. I think a lot of his contribution was underrated but he dominated that midfield for us.

Midfielder – Marc Bridge-Wilkinson – Was only with us for 18 months or so but was one of the best creative, technical midfielders we’ve had this decade. Managed to chip in with plenty of goals too.

Midfielder – Will Hatfield – Only joined this summer but has had a massive impact. The kind of player we’d been crying out for. No questioning his desire or his energy and so long as he stays fits, he’ll have a massive role to play for us going forward.

Forward – Stephen Thompson – Anyone who doesn’t put him in their team is wrong.

Forward – Graeme Armstrong – Great in the air but also very handy with the ball at his feet too. Had several great seasons with us. Could easily have gone for Beck, Cartman or Purewal but Armstrong stepped up in some of the key moments which just edges it for me.

Forward – Reece Styche – I think a few will disagree with this choice. A bit of a maverick who could go missing, but on his day he singlehandedly won us games with his phenomenal ability. Had we not signed him in TW’s first season, we’d have been in a lot more trouble.

Manager – Martin Gray – Yes it all ended badly but when you look at the first four to five years of his reign, he took over in summer 2012 when we had absolutely nothing and turned us into a winning machine. Three promotions, two league titles and a couple of play-off finishes speak for themselves. Honourable mention for Mark Cooper, manager for our first national trophy.
Pretty bang on there Gramps. My two changes would be:

Jameson in for Russell. Russell a Darlo legend and rightly should be remembered. But for me we got Jameson as a young lad and went through the divisions with him pulling off some unbelievable saves. Without a loss of confidence not helped by half our fans jumping on him he would still be our keeper now, and be comfortably good enough.

Gaskell for Styche - the first of our Maverick players following our demotion. We signed him when we were still on the up, but some of the goals he was scoring to get us through the divisions were different class. Was it Matlock away in his debut? The scissor kick into the corner, the curling effort into the corner vs Bursclough, the performance away at Salford popping his shoulder back in and playing on. One of the players I've most enjoyed watching in a darlo shirt. Never had a clue what he would do or try next.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:48 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
divas wrote:Not sure how Styche gets in ahead of Beck but each to their own
For me, I do love a maverick so I guess Styche plays into that. And he undeniably could turn a game on his own and without him, I do think we’d have been in a relegation scrap the season TW took over.

Absolutely he could go missing in games, but in terms of sheer ability, I think he trumps Beck every time.

Striker was the hardest position to decide as you can make good cases for about half a dozen strikers, including Beck. No one has mentioned Amar Purewal, who I think was very underrated.
Purewal not far off for me, I think we've had loads of strikers who have come and gone having played their part at the various levels we've been at without having one who has been with us for a significant chunk of the 7 or 8 years like Galbraith, Brown and Thompson.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

banktopp

Post by banktopp » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:32 pm

tezza wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:36 am
banktopp wrote:
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:

I stopped going in 2012 so I haven't seen anything in the pub leagues, so take your pick.
There are many others like you who stopped going to watch us after demotion to Northern League, and others who would not go to
the Arena. We need you back. Get down to to BM and you will be surprised at the quality, commitment and energy of the team we now have.
After recent games we are a match for anyone in this league, and IMO are in with a good chance of the play offs and promotion to the National League, which is where you left us.
Look at this guys details. Joined 2013, year after he stopped attending, location Hereford ? ? ?
Get your facts right.
It is Norm_D_Ploom who stopped attending in 2012.
My location is Hereford, and I have never stopped attending since the 1960's

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Darlogramps wrote:
An idea shamelessly stolen from Twitter – who makes up your Darlingotn team of the decade? I’ve judged mine on a mix of contribution to the team, impact and ability.

Goalkeeper – Sam Russell – We’ve had a lot of good keepers but no one has really stood out so I’ve gone for Russell who, in terms of ability, was probably our best keeper of the decade.

Could’ve gone with Stephen Harrison but I think Trotman just edges it. If his recovery goes well, he has the potential to really kick on, either for us or higher up the pyramid.

Centre back – Gary Brown – Can’t find any reason for him not to be in the side. Best position was always as centre back for me. His leadership skills more than anything set him apart and we missed him badly in the months after TW got rid of him.

Centre back – Ian Miller – Captain for the FA Trophy win. Stood by us during the difficult times and came into his own. I remember a tackle he made on a Gateshead player during the second leg of the FA Trophy semi-final, which probably saved the tie for us.

Left back – Terry Galbraith – Has played in multiple positions but I’ve put him in as left back where he first started when he joined. Has been with us for all but a few months in that Northern League season and has rarely let us down.

Midfielder – Phil Turnbull – Classiest midfielder I’ve seen for us since 2012. Controlled and broke up play superbly. I think a lot of his contribution was underrated but he dominated that midfield for us.

Midfielder – Marc Bridge-Wilkinson – Was only with us for 18 months or so but was one of the best creative, technical midfielders we’ve had this decade. Managed to chip in with plenty of goals too.

Midfielder – Will Hatfield – Only joined this summer but has had a massive impact. The kind of player we’d been crying out for. No questioning his desire or his energy and so long as he stays fits, he’ll have a massive role to play for us going forward.

Forward – Graeme Armstrong – Great in the air but also very handy with the ball at his feet too. Had several great seasons with us. Could easily have gone for Beck, Cartman or Purewal but Armstrong stepped up in some of the key moments which just edges it for me.

Forward – Reece Styche – I think a few will disagree with this choice. A bit of a maverick who could go missing, but on his day he singlehandedly won us games with his phenomenal ability. Had we not signed him in TW’s first season, we’d have been in a lot more trouble.

Manager – Martin Gray – Yes it all ended badly but when you look at the first four to five years of his reign, he took over in summer 2012 when we had absolutely nothing and turned us into a winning machine. Three promotions, two league titles and a couple of play-off finishes speak for themselves. Honourable mention for Mark Cooper, manager for our first national trophy.
That is my exact team and formation that I posted on twitter the other day, though I might have had Aaron Brown at left back rather than Terry Galbraith

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:57 pm

divas wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:06 pm
Not sure how Styche gets in ahead of Beck but each to their own
Cos he's better than Beck.

Spyman

Post by Spyman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:19 pm

Ghost_Of_1883 wrote:
Darlogramps wrote:

That is my exact team and formation that I posted on twitter the other day, though I might have had Aaron Brown at left back rather than Terry Galbraith
Amazing considering how many players we've been through, since 2012 especially, and how relatively successful we've been over that same period (even 2010-11-12 we won a trophy), that there's general agreement over so many players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On Sunday April 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm, Darlo Cockney wrote:Sadly some people have nothing better to do that invent rumours.

We will be playing at the arena again next season - fact.

Quakerz - if you actually attended games and spoke to people you might actually find our facts, rather than spreading s*** on this board.

DC

Norm_D_Ploom

Post by Norm_D_Ploom » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:49 pm

The ship had already started to sail by then anyway I checked online and I had only actually been to 4 games that season and 6 the year before so I was hardly what you would describe as a regular.

The main thing for me was that a home game was pretty much half a day and I just couldn't be bothered anymore, I found more productive things to do with the time (including watching football closer to home).

Another issue was venue, whilst I never liked the arena had the new club started there in the conference north I might have stuck it out but the move and the drop was too much for me.

I admire you guys who stuck with it. Best of luck and Happy New Year.

Ghost_Of_1883

Post by Ghost_Of_1883 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:05 am

Norm_D_Ploom wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:49 pm
The ship had already started to sail by then anyway I checked online and I had only actually been to 4 games that season and 6 the year before so I was hardly what you would describe as a regular.

The main thing for me was that a home game was pretty much half a day and I just couldn't be bothered anymore, I found more productive things to do with the time (including watching football closer to home).

Another issue was venue, whilst I never liked the arena had the new club started there in the conference north I might have stuck it out but the move and the drop was too much for me.

I admire you guys who stuck with it. Best of luck and Happy New Year.
The fact that you're reading the board shows that some interest is still there.

By the way there is no new club, we are the same club, Darlo never died.

As others have said, we're only 1 league below where we were. Thanks for your honesty regarding "only" watching 4 and 6 matches in the previous two seasons to 2012 - I'm sure most of us would accept it if you "only" came back for 4 or 6 matches aseason.

tezza

Post by tezza » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:26 pm

banktopp wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:32 pm
tezza wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:36 am
banktopp wrote:
Norm_D_Ploom wrote:

Get your facts right.
It is Norm_D_Ploom who stopped attending in 2012.
My location is Hereford, and I have never stopped attending since the 1960's
It was Nom D Ploom i was referring too....apologies if i got it wrong